shape
carat
color
clarity

Strong Windowing in Emerald Cut, Engagement planned for next week...Help

Joseph Herrera

Rough_Rock
Hey All,

I am brand new to the world of diamonds but I have learnt a lot quickly! I recently purchased a lab grown diamond from Ritani for my to-be fiance - I plan to get engaged in 2 weeks. However, now that I have received the diamond, I've noticed quite a bit of windowing on this Emerald cut.
IMG_2550.jpg
I took it to a couple of local lab grown diamond dealers in Houston to compare it and all of them seemed to be clueless about what I was mentioning, and could only speak to me about the specifications of my and their diamonds - table, depth, etc. I guess this is a good sign that I already know more than them hahah.

Nonetheless, I am looking for advice on what to do moving forward. I thought that after hours of research and searching I would be able to pick out a good diamond from online but I guess this was not the case. My current idea is to propose with a cubic zirconia and continue to look for stones online but making sure I get ASET imaging for each one to really pick out a winner.

Any advice on this topic would help me tons! I've included some images so y'all can see the diamond and let me know if i'm overreacting a bit - I took these pics to emphasize the windowing (the picture with two rings was comparing it to the best stone that the jeweler I visited had, mine is the longer aspect ratio)

IGI stone stats:
Price ~$1500
Carat 2.9
Ratio 1.47
Color: E
Clarity: VS1
Cut: excellent
Polish: Excellent
Table, depth, girdle all within "Ideal" range
IMG_2565.jpg

IMG_2556.jpg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes its very leaky.
A 360 vid that the tilt can be controlled on can be used to eliminate the worst of them with practice.
ASET images help but because they are static face up it does not tell it all.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Emerald cuts are notoriously hard to pick. Takes an expert eye like @Karl_K. If you come up with some other contenders, the EC experts can help vet them.

I can’t even help pick them out bc I haven’t the faintest clue when looking at spinning ECs.

Congrats on the upcoming proposal!

Joseph Herrera

Rough_Rock
Yes its very leaky.
A 360 vid that the tilt can be controlled on can be used to eliminate the worst of them with practice.
ASET images help but because they are static face up it does not tell it all.

Hey Karl,

IF that's the case sounds like I am going to have a very tough time picking out a great stone (at least at a great price) because (1) I am untrained and (2) I think it will be difficult to get tilt controlled videos from Vendors online.

Re. ASET imaging this is helpful as well.

I guess my follow up question is how do people ensure good quality EC's? It seems it is very difficult to tell online when purchasing from Wholesalers, and the local jewelers (at least the affordable ones) don't seem to know much about this either.

Do y'all know of anyone who provides a service for this? I would be happy to pay someone to help me find a stone I just don't have the faintest clue where to start.

Joseph Herrera

Rough_Rock
Emerald cuts are notoriously hard to pick. Takes an expert eye like @Karl_K. If you come up with some other contenders, the EC experts can help vet them.

I can’t even help pick them out bc I haven’t the faintest clue when looking at spinning ECs.

Congrats on the upcoming proposal!

Hey 0515Vision.

Thanks for flagging! and yes, I am very excited for the proposal. we have been together for nearly 7 years (since we were 17 8)).

She deserves the world so the least I can do is get her the best stone I can find!

Joseph Herrera

Rough_Rock
Hey 0515Vision.

Thanks for flagging! and yes, I am very excited for the proposal. we have been together for nearly 7 years (since we were 18 8)).

She deserves the world so the least I can do is get her the best stone I can find!

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Joseph Herrera, from the cheap seats: Throw the numbers away and find one that keeps flashing as it turns with no stuck or static views or views of the background behind. Good ones might strike you as "lively." Gather a few and send them to Karl. There are other experts on this forum as well who will help. (lovedogs? if she isn't too busy)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are full service online Jewelers who PSers use to pick and vet emerald cuts. Poke around and you will see recommendations. They have imaging tools to help assess cut plus their many decades expertise.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

joe2

Shiny_Rock
Still available as per chat with loose grown 1 minute ago.

Joseph Herrera

Rough_Rock
Joseph Herrera, from the cheap seats: Throw the numbers away and find one that keeps flashing as it turns with no stuck or static views or views of the background behind. Good ones might strike you as "lively." Gather a few and send them to Karl. There are other experts on this forum as well who will help. (lovedogs? if she isn't too busy)

Ok this is good advice, I will keep this in mind! Let me do some research and attach in this thread

Joseph Herrera

Rough_Rock
There are full service online Jewelers who PSers use to pick and vet emerald cuts. Poke around and you will see recommendations. They have imaging tools to help assess cut plus their many decades expertise.

Ok I will also have to check that out if this next purchase doesn't work, but seems like this thread really knows what they are talking about

Joseph Herrera

Rough_Rock
Hey there,
Whats your budget and ideal size? I can try to look

Ideal size is 2.75 - 3.1, would be happy with anything in that range, also once it's under $4000 i'd be happy, but seems like the market has some nice ones around $1500 for the lab grown stuff.

joe2

Shiny_Rock
easy = using a similar dollar figure and diamond specs from the windowed stone as search criteria I looked through a hundred or so videos, got lucky in finding one that I thought might be "lively" and posted it.....For me it's just persistence and luck.

I'll look again but it's really important that you don't buy anthing that I post without getting expert advice.

Joseph Herrera

Rough_Rock
easy = using a similar dollar figure and diamond specs from the windowed stone as search criteria I looked through a hundred or so videos, got lucky in finding one that I thought might be "lively" and posted it.....For me it's just persistence and luck.

I'll look again but it's really important that you don't buy anthing that I post without getting expert advice.

Ok that's good to know, I felt comfortable after LoveDogs, musicloveranthony, and Karl K commented on it's liveliness :)

I'm now checking pricescope all day during work hahaha

Joseph Herrera

Rough_Rock

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sadly crystal issues, GIA hides the info but its likely treated cvd that didn't totally heal.
Cut is mostly ok, when you tilt it a little larger than ideal area flashes all at once.
If the crystal was good it would be worth a in person look.

Joseph Herrera

Rough_Rock
I'm thinking I just buy this stone and cancel if need be
Sadly crystal issues, GIA hides the info but its likely treated cvd that didn't totally heal.
Cut is mostly ok, when you tilt it a little larger than ideal area flashes all at once.
If the crystal was good it would be worth a in person look.

Man that sucsk but still appreciate nonetheless.

Is it strain patterns in the stone that you're referring too? or something else like grain boundaries?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm thinking I just buy this stone and cancel if need be

Man that sucsk but still appreciate nonetheless.

Is it strain patterns in the stone that you're referring too? or something else like grain boundaries?
Mainly it has areas that look like sand blasted glass from some angles. Its tricky sometimes because of focus issues.
That is why you have to manually control the tilt to check it from multiple angles back and forth once you identify an area.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results