shape
carat
color
clarity

Strong Windowing in Emerald Cut, Engagement planned for next week...Help

Joseph Herrera

Rough_Rock
Mainly it has areas that look like sand blasted glass from some angles. Its tricky sometimes because of focus issues.
That is why you have to manually control the tilt to check it from multiple angles back and forth once you identify an area.

I think I see what you're referring too, on the back side right?

Also, do any of you all know of any websites that pick out really high performing EC's and generally only carry strong stones? I know they would be a bit pricier but maybe worth it?

I see whiteflash likes to market themselves as something like this but not sure if they have good EC's

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Jonathan @Rhino at Distinctive Gem can give you concierge service. It will cost you a bit more, but he has all the expertise and imaging equipment you could ask for. He has numerous youtube videos you can browse to get a sense of him. I've personally purchased from him.

His website prices aren't always up to date, so don't hesitate to reach out and ask for price comparisons.

@Karl_K developed his own Emerald Cut, so you're always welcome to keep looking and asking his opinion here. It will just take a bit more time.

And be aware that there are lurkers on PS who snag recommended stones out from under people all the time. That might be what happened to that last stone. As a result, some people only post a really good stone when they know the OP or expert will be online. This is harder with ECs bc someone like me always needs a PS expert's eye to confirm.

Good luck! We're rooting for you!

Joseph Herrera

Rough_Rock
Hey 0515 Vision! Thanks so much for helping out :)

Think I will reach out to Jonathan then, I have been working 16 hour days so it's just tough to find time for this.

The first stone you sent certainly looks a lot more lively than the second in my opinion!

Joseph Herrera

Rough_Rock
Jonathan @Rhino at Distinctive Gem can give you concierge service. It will cost you a bit more, but he has all the expertise and imaging equipment you could ask for. He has numerous youtube videos you can browse to get a sense of him. I've personally purchased from him.

His website prices aren't always up to date, so don't hesitate to reach out and ask for price comparisons.

@Karl_K developed his own Emerald Cut, so you're always welcome to keep looking and asking his opinion here. It will just take a bit more time.

And be aware that there are lurkers on PS who snag recommended stones out from under people all the time. That might be what happened to that last stone. As a result, some people only post a really good stone when they know the OP or expert will be online. This is harder with ECs bc someone like me always needs a PS expert's eye to confirm.

Good luck! We're rooting for you!

Do you have any advice for meeting with Jonathan? I know you said you've worked with him before.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have any advice for meeting with Jonathan? I know you said you've worked with him before.

Email or call him through his website.

16hr days!!! Plus an emerald cut search!!! Plus planning a proposal!!!
You’ve got your hands more than full!

Joseph Herrera

Rough_Rock
Email or call him through his website.

16hr days!!! Plus an emerald cut search!!! Plus planning a proposal!!!
You’ve got your hands more than full!

Hahahahaha I also am planning an engagement party and renovating my family home back in the Caribbean:mrgreen:

Life of a consultant

Joseph Herrera

Rough_Rock
Spoke with Jonathan and was able to quickly grab a stone, he is checking it out tomorrow and will send me videos. Will include here for everyone.

It ended up being ~$4k which is a bit out of my price range but I think the confidence of having him check it out for me is definitely worth it. Perhaps if I had more time I could've done more searching online.

Just wanted to thank all of you again for the help!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spoke with Jonathan and was able to quickly grab a stone, he is checking it out tomorrow and will send me videos. Will include here for everyone.

It ended up being ~$4k which is a bit out of my price range but I think the confidence of having him check it out for me is definitely worth it. Perhaps if I had more time I could've done more searching online.

Just wanted to thank all of you again for the help!

In my view it's worth spending a bit more (as long as you are able) to have peace of mind

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock

joe2

Shiny_Rock
I see your hunt has ended in a success! I'm sure you are going to be very happy with the results. One more thing is off the long list of things to do.

After looking through several more stones this is the best one that I saw. I'm confident it has issues that I dont see.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes that one from Jon is much better

Joseph Herrera

Rough_Rock
Ok so here is the side by side with the original stone. Left is new stone right is old stone. View attachment 977554
IMG_2653.jpg
This is the new stone close up (right)
IMG_2670.jpg
This is the new stone close up standalone
IMG_2684.jpg
This is the new stone close up in a setting
IMG_2689.jpg
Now for the old stone
IMG_2671.jpg
Old stone alone in tweezers
IMG_2685.jpg
Old stone in setting
IMG_2687.jpg

Joseph Herrera

Rough_Rock
Takeaways from this.

Old stone was bought from Ritani ~$1500, all the good specs you'd expect out of an EC (but the cut was not great which led to subpar light performance (IGI certification)

I reached out to John at Distinctive gems and he hooked me up with this new stone ~$4000, all the good specs you'd expect out of an EC but each one slightly better than the original e.g. E color, no Cutlet, etc. (GIA certification)

The stone from John is obviously much much better cut, he says it will probably be one of the best cut EC's i'd come into contact with throughout my life which I do genuinely believe.

On receiving the stone and comparing them in real life light (outdoor and indoor) side by side, you can tell one is better than the other but I didn't notice a HUGE difference between the two. it was obvious that the stone from John was better and I would even say that looking at it was somewhat mesmerizing where as the original had a bland middle and some light leakage, it just missed something.

Given that and the fact that my girlfriend would not have been able to tell the difference, I'm not sure if I can really justify spending 2.7x the price of the original.

Part of me is considering just returning it and getting something that isn't as perfect and is just in between my first stone and this one for around $2000 - $2500 e.g. the stone that @0515vision sent recently: https://www.loosegrowndiamond.com/inventory/?sku=7498049780&skuu=7498049780

I don't think in any way that John has "ripped" me off, he was great and I believe what he sold me was a very fair price. I'm just thinking that in the real world, my girlfriend would not notice and or care whether her stone was in the top 5% vs top 1%

Curious to hear your thoughts on the matter and if the price jump is worth it from your perspective! (I know everyone's situation and priorities are different :))

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Ok ... I have some skin in the game bc everyone likes it when someone chooses their pick. But the stone on Ritani is marked as SOLD even though it's still up on Adiamor and Loose Grown. I suspect that someone purchased it through the Ritani site.

I fully understand that $4k is a lot to spend on something you're not sure of. I vote using a CZ and seeing what PSers can find for you. Although it's time consuming, it's not impossible to find a nice EC. There's another thread going on right not (although she's looking at 7-8ct), so a lot of great EC knowledge is going around right now.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Here are two possibilities (I posted three but saw that one was sold). Granted some of them have slightly subpar crystal. But I figure that's better than having lots of windowing or dead zones. @Karl_K, @lovedogs can you comment?

This one might have too many dead zone, but they seems to blink with tilt.

Last edited:

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Two more possibilities that aren't listed as sold. And we're not going for perfect, PSers. We're going for better than the first stone, and better priced than Jonathan's stone.

We're going for Goldilocks!! @Karl_K @lovedogs @Dreamer_D @joe2?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are two possibilities (I posted three but saw that one was sold). Granted some of them have slightly subpar crystal. But I figure that's better than having lots of windowing or dead zones. @Karl_K, @lovedogs can you comment?

This one might have too many dead zone, but they seems to blink with tilt.

I like the 2nd one! I like the on and off blinking

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two more possibilities that aren't listed as sold. And we're not going for perfect, PSers. We're going for better than the first stone, and better priced than Jonathan's stone.

We're going for Goldilocks!! @Karl_K @lovedogs @Dreamer_D @joe2?

Not a fan of these. I feel like there's a lot of crystal issues

joe2

Shiny_Rock
Last edited:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
If this is an issue of the second stone being too expensive for comfort, then absolutely send it back and try to find something smaller withing budget that is as well cut.

But your assumption that you gf “won’t know the difference” is interesting. I feel like most people recognize a truly well cut diamond especially when they wear it every day. People comment all the time on how sparkly my engagement diamond is. They see it is better than other diamonds. I think it’s worth having a better cut diamond.

How about letting her pick instead of making the decision for her.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's definitely worth doing a side-by-side with Jonathan's pick and a Goldilocks pick. That first has way too much windowing. Hopefully, Jonathan will give you enough time to do a side by side. @Karl_K has said before (I think) that even though videos and ASETs may look good, fancies really need to be seen in person.

The first stone is a hard pass, and Jonathan's stone looks lovely. But let's see if you can find something in between that works for the eye and the pocket.

joe2

Shiny_Rock
After looking at 100's that's the most lively horizontal spin video I've seen.
Call IDJ and see if they have "your" stone. It can't hurt to call.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results