shape
carat
color
clarity

Super Ideal 1.73, D, VS2 ASET Opinions (Round)

You’re so lucky that you got to go to WF and see the stones in person!

Both are beautiful but I love a G colored stone. H is where I start to question, “Is this too tinted for me?”

I appreciate the update @Texas Leaguer but I think that your comments here need to be on a new thread where more people will see them. I’m sure many people will have questions and will want to know about the new policy.

I love Whiteflash and hope to be a customer for many more years. I know that the industry has been hit hard in recent years and I understand that you are doing what you need to do to continue to be a successful company.

Thank you for the suggestion @Patty.
I have started the new thread here:

You have to put your video on a hosting site (like youtube) and then provide a link to it.

They look the same in your pictures (to me)...I would have to see them in person and see if one "spoke" to me.
I dont think you can go wrong either way. Did the SA give you their insight?

I also look at the sparkle videos side-by-side and really could not favor one over the other. In other words...I'm no help!

Ah, that makes sense. I don’t know if the videos I took would be helpful for y’all? If so, I’ll do it.

Hahaha, thanks for the no help!! The SA did not give me insight, but I’m going by again this week. I’ll use the “speak to me” approach. Like you said, they look very similar.

Hard to say. Like @tyty333, no real discernible difference between the two in terms of performance. Guess it comes down to whether you favor a bit more size over a bit less color. I think I personally would choose the G because of the color and the lower price point. Many would always choose the larger size. What are your thoughts?

I’m thinking the same in picking color over the size, however, I keep finding myself asking if I need to go larger. I don’t know why, it’s kinda silly. I know for me (and the woman I’m buying for) there’s a point where we would say “that’s a bit too large.” Where that is, I don’t know exactly though.

Also, the 1.72 G is the higher priced one; the larger H stone is lower.

Would you see a difference in color or size if they were not right next to each other? Would a passerby notice size or color? If you held them 2-3 feet apart what would have your attention more - size or color? Are you saying to yourself today, "I love that color, I just wish it was a little larger" Or "I love that size, I just wish it was a little whiter?"

All to say, what is more important to you size or color?

All good questions that I have been asking since the appointment and reading this. The answer is: I don’t know…so I’m going to go see them again haha.

I found myself saying both of your two last statements. But how much of the “I wish the diamond was larger” (and still G) was just a head game - and I honestly wonder if even a bit of pride - seeing 1.85 vs 1.72, you know? I’ve tried really hard to stay objective and keep that number/grade chasing craziness out of it unless it really makes a tangible impact.
Nitpicking here, but I like the G better...less clouding and I think it shows in the sparkle/fire videos where the H looks a tiny bit cloudy/hazy.

Don’t mind the nitpick! I believe when you start to look at stones this well cut, that’s what it comes down to. Ultimately, I can’t make a bad choice, but I do need to make the one I’m happy with.

Would love to have any guidance on where to look for that haze/cloud so I can see if I pick it up when viewing in person this week.

You’re so lucky that you got to go to WF and see the stones in person!

Both are beautiful but I love a G colored stone. H is where I start to question, “Is this too tinted for me?”

I agree, it was quite the blessing. Looking forward to going back. Fantastic experience and would recommend to anyone if they’re coming through Texas.

I hear that! I used to really question that a lot. Are you able to see a difference with these two using the WF videos or my subpar pics?

Went by again today and had another look. Something about the 1.85 H VS2 seemed a bit “dull” to me compared to the 1.72 G VS2. May have been the proportions, or even the particular way I was feeling today, I don’t know. So I took that one out of the running.

I also had a look at another 1.82 G VS2, which was very nice. However, I was able to spot the inclusion on the table with unaided eyes. I know it’s unlikely many people would see it when being worn, but just knowing it was there and visible to me would, quite honestly, bother me for a while.

Finally, had a look at a beautiful 1.85 G VS2 just to help figure out if I actually wanted a stone that big and was willing to pay for it. It was about 2.7K more (linked below), which in reality is no small amount (could pay for part of a setting if not all, or various other things that will come after the engagement). Would love to get y’all’s thoughts first on all this and the post above if you would care to and have a moment. Thanks!!

New consideration:

The OG:

I really like the 1.85 G! This one ticks all of your boxes and max out the size. If the cost is prohibitive, I understand but spread out over a lifetime…you see where I am going! Even if you put the diamond in a simple solitaire setting to save money, she would always have that diamond - and it is beautiful!! It could always be reset down the road.

Tell us what you are thinking, but in the meantime, you might want to put it on hold. Lurkers have been known to snatch up diamonds.

I really like the 1.85 G! This one ticks all of your boxes and max out the size. If the cost is prohibitive, I understand but spread out over a lifetime…you see where I am going! Even if you put the diamond in a simple solitaire setting to save money, she would always have that diamond - and it is beautiful!! It could always be reset down the road.

Tell us what you are thinking, but in the meantime, you might want to put it on hold. Lurkers have been known to snatch up diamonds.

I do see where you are going for sure. I had those thoughts too. However, I also kept thinking “where does this stop?” How far will I keep going and inching up the cost? I’m a little nervous of the slippery slope. Buuut, it does check all the boxes. Though, I think the 1.72 seems brighter for some reason. Idk. What are your thoughts? Did you see anything like that?

Can y’all have a look at the GIA and give your thoughts on the inclusions; particularly the needles on the edges?

Really?! Lurkers will do that? Do I have to worry about you @MissGotRocks

I do see where you are going for sure. I had those thoughts too. However, I also kept thinking “where does this stop?” How far will I keep going and inching up the cost? I’m a little nervous of the slippery slope. Buuut, it does check all the boxes. Though, I think the 1.72 seems brighter for some reason. Idk. What are your thoughts? Did you see anything like that?

Can y’all have a look at the GIA and give your thoughts on the inclusions; particularly the needles on the edges?

Which one jumped out at you more as they were sitting in front of you?
Ponder that for a little bit and your choice becomes easy. :)

The 1.85 looked a bit brighter to me in pics but it may just be the photography. I don’t think the inclusions present a problem either but WF would be able to give you their professional opinion on that.

It will only keep going as far as you are willing to take it. Anything bigger will, of course, be more money. Decide on a cut off point for the budget and try to make a decision. The 1.72 G vs. the 1.82 H seemed to come down to size. The 1.85 gives you the largest size yet so that sort of answers that part - if you loved it and if the budget will allow.

No worries from me - I have been down the slippery slope for years and have pretty much hit rock bottom! No diamond snatching from me unless some yet unknown pie in the sky diamond appears! We have all learned to never say never - lol! We have also learned the fine art of justification for something we want and you may now be tapping into that! You have the advantage of these beautiful diamonds to choose from right off the bat so you are very fortunate. This availability was not available to many of us at the time we got engaged, which led us down the slippery slope of upgrading. It can be a painful slope sometimes! You honestly can’t go wrong with either diamond and I can’t wait to hear what you decide. Either way I am excited for you and your special girl!!

Oh gosh, the 1.85 G, the best of both worlds...larger and it's a G ! That would be my choice (its easy to spend other
people's money :cheeky: !)

I may have been mistaken and saw this one ‍♂️ I’ll ask the SA tomorrow.

Thoughts on these three then? Sorry!

I’ll reply to the rest of y’all’s very helpful responses after dinner.

I think I am still in the 1.85 camp. However, if I were you, I would ask Whiteflash to do a picture/video lineup of the diamonds that you are most interested in buying. Seeing them side by side should give you an idea of which seems the biggest, the brightest or has the most visual appeal. You also have the advantage of being able to see them in person if you need to do that. I don’t see a huge difference in the 1.83 and the 1.85. Seeing that they are almost the same size and have the same clarity and color grades, I wouldn’t expect a big difference.

I don’t like the multiple feather inclusions at and around the girdle on the 1.83. They are the grade defining inclusions in this stone. Feathers are surface reaching cracks and I try to avoid them.
You have the advantage of seeing these stones in person so I would encourage you to decide with your eyes (and your budget too). Can’t wait to hear what you decide.

The 1.85 looked a bit brighter to me in pics but it may just be the photography. I don’t think the inclusions present a problem either but WF would be able to give you their professional opinion on that.

It will only keep going as far as you are willing to take it. Anything bigger will, of course, be more money. Decide on a cut off point for the budget and try to make a decision. The 1.72 G vs. the 1.82 H seemed to come down to size. The 1.85 gives you the largest size yet so that sort of answers that part - if you loved it and if the budget will allow.

No worries from me - I have been down the slippery slope for years and have pretty much hit rock bottom! No diamond snatching from me unless some yet unknown pie in the sky diamond appears! We have all learned to never say never - lol! We have also learned the fine art of justification for something we want and you may now be tapping into that! You have the advantage of these beautiful diamonds to choose from right off the bat so you are very fortunate. This availability was not available to many of us at the time we got engaged, which led us down the slippery slope of upgrading. It can be a painful slope sometimes! You honestly can’t go wrong with either diamond and I can’t wait to hear what you decide. Either way I am excited for you and your special girl!!

Thank you for your honest and thorough reply, as always, Miss! It was really helpful to hear.

I have absolutely tapped into that justification lol. Good to know it’s not just a “me thing.”

Also, my original message asking if I had to worry about you was supposed to have the winking emoji! That totally came off the wrong way, but thanks for replying with grace. Geez, that’s TWICE I’ve unintentionally insulted you. Ugh.

Really appreciate your excitement for us, I’m over the moon too, but looking forward to having this squared away!

Oh gosh, the 1.85 G, the best of both worlds...larger and it's a G ! That would be my choice (its easy to spend other
people's money :cheeky: !)

LOL. I mean, by coming here and asking y’all’s prosumer opinions, I kinda sorta am asking for help spending my money. I also have the feeling most aren’t in for pushing excess for excess’ sake when a lowly “rough rock” comes through asking for help.

I think I am still in the 1.85 camp. However, if I were you, I would ask Whiteflash to do a picture/video lineup of the diamonds that you are most interested in buying. Seeing them side by side should give you an idea of which seems the biggest, the brightest or has the most visual appeal. You also have the advantage of being able to see them in person if you need to do that. I don’t see a huge difference in the 1.83 and the 1.85. Seeing that they are almost the same size and have the same clarity and color grades, I wouldn’t expect a big difference.

Thanks! I actually didn’t see the 1.83 G in person yesterday. I think I opted not to because of the feathering near the girdle. Yesterday I saw the 1.72 G and 1.8 H (a stone from the first time I went in last week) together and then removed the H from the running because it just seemed a bit flat in brightness to me compared to the 1.72 G. Then I asked to see the 1.85 G (the one without the feathers) with the 1.72 G. That’s when I got to the point I’m at now.

I don’t like the multiple feather inclusions at and around the girdle on the 1.83. They are the grade defining inclusions in this stone. Feathers are surface reaching cracks and I try to avoid them.
You have the advantage of seeing these stones in person so I would encourage you to decide with your eyes (and your budget too). Can’t wait to hear what you decide.

Thank you for your thoughts. I 100% agree on this and had the exact same thought. Glad much more knowledgeable people confirmed that.

I plan on going back once more to have another look at the 1.72 G and the 1.85 G (not the feathered 1.83 G) and making my final decision.

Thanks! I actually didn’t see the 1.83 G in person yesterday. I think I opted not to because of the feathering near the girdle. Yesterday I saw the 1.72 G and 1.8 H (a stone from the first time I went in last week) together and then removed the H from the running because it just seemed a bit flat in brightness to me compared to the 1.72 G. Then I asked to see the 1.85 G (the one without the feathers) with the 1.72 G. That’s when I got to the point I’m at now.

I knew you were kidding - no offense taken! Just trying to let you know that many of us here have been in the same ‘slippery slope’ quandary. Just keep us posted please and good luck with the next look at the diamonds!

I knew you were kidding - no offense taken! Just trying to let you know that many of us here have been in the same ‘slippery slope’ quandary. Just keep us posted please and good luck with the next look at the diamonds!

and the paralysis by analysis!

Oh, y’all! I did think of an objective question I haven’t asked…

Could y’all see the specs for the 1.85 G VS2 we’ve been talking about; do you think the depth is a little out of what would be bueno for mega excellent light return? No, right? Because it’s an ACA?

IMG_8237.jpeg

Could y’all see the specs for the 1.85 G VS2 we’ve been talking about; do you think the depth is a little out of what would be bueno for mega excellent light return? No, right? Because it’s an ACA?

IMG_8237.jpeg

Yes, all of that has been factored into Whiteflash’s assessment for an ACA diamond. You can find their super ideal ranges on their website.

Last edited:

IMG_8237.jpeg

You're overanalyzing.

IMG_8237.jpeg

You know the cut is top notch because it’s an ACA. If anything, I’d say that the 60.9% depth is a plus because the stone will have more spread and look a bit bigger.

IMG_8237.jpeg

I don’t think you are over analyzing. There definitely are differences in optics within the ACA ranges.
I upgraded my ACA a few months ago and I can see the difference between the two clearly even though they are the same G color. My current stone is sharper and has noticeably more fire! I look forward to seeing what you choose!

Previous ACA:

28C0AA83-4CB8-4508-B9AE-09F878A64CB8.jpeg

New ACA:

76C6963D-DB06-4E2E-846F-354BEA9EDBA1.jpeg

Last edited:
Good morning y’all! Appreciate all the replies.

After many hours over three visits, a billion questions, and countless comparisons in equally countless lighting conditions and backgrounds I decided to “dance with the one who brung me” (to WF) and chose the 1.72 G VS2!

It was an incredibly hard decision choosing between two stunning diamonds, but I strongly believe it was the more beautiful and higher light performing stone out of the two and that’s what I was after.

I can’t thank this PS community enough for all the help, patience, and encouragement. THANKS TO ALL Y’ALL!

Okay, basking in the relief of one decision down: over. Now. On to an extremely quick setting selection! I’m definitely starting another thread to get thoughts!

Good morning y’all! Appreciate all the replies.

After many hours over three visits, a billion questions, and countless comparisons in equally countless lighting conditions and backgrounds I decided to “dance with the one who brung me” (to WF) and chose the 1.72 G VS2!

It was an incredibly hard decision choosing between two stunning diamonds, but I strongly believe it was the more beautiful and higher light performing stone out of the two and that’s what I was after.

I can’t thank this PS community enough for all the help, patience, and encouragement. THANKS TO ALL Y’ALL!

Congratulations! You chose based on what you saw and liked and that is wonderful! Your girl will be so happy and should definitely be impressed with the due diligence you did in picking out the perfect diamond for her!! I am so excited for you both and can’t wait to see the ring. Kudos for a job well done!!!

Congratulations! Please post hand shots when it is on her finger!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP