shape
carat
color
clarity

The crafty thread! Please post all your crafty/artsy creations here!

I should be finished by this weekend (I'm being hopeful especially if I don't have any helpers)

This side of my sewing area is a little messy (not gonna apologize its been a crazy few months)

The shell is silk chiffon. I've had this for a little while so I'm glad I'm using it. lining (slip really) is silk (not pictured) a deep orange silk habotai. Its all deadstock so not too costly (chiffon was 14.00/yard and habotai was 12.00/yard.

I had to make my own bias tape, which I need to attach, then hem, then put in the zipper.

I'm making this so I can sit outside and still look ok without putting on a moomoo (seriously, I am)

20240906_144925.jpg

But sewing chiffon sucks. I'm just saying...

I should be finished by this weekend (I'm being hopeful especially if I don't have any helpers)

This side of my sewing area is a little messy (not gonna apologize its been a crazy few months)

The shell is silk chiffon. I've had this for a little while so I'm glad I'm using it. lining (slip really) is silk (not pictured) a deep orange silk habotai. Its all deadstock so not too costly (chiffon was 14.00/yard and habotai was 12.00/yard.

I had to make my own bias tape, which I need to attach, then hem, then put in the zipper.

I'm making this so I can sit outside and still look ok without putting on a moomoo (seriously, I am)

20240906_144925.jpg

It's beautiful and sure beats the muumuu that I wear when I sit outside!

20240906_144925.jpg

Nice! You are so talented!

Haha I was just about to ask you how much trouble did the chiffon give you!

Its absolutely terrible. Its probably the one material I hate the most aside from velvet panne. I have it so I'm trying my best to work with it (with as few seams as I can of course!)

I am of course utilizing all the tricks like I prewashed to make it not so slick, and I used a tiny dab of washable glue stick the seams together prior to sewing it (its the same kind that little kids use, perfect for sewing) because of course pinning sucks with chiffon. And I did french seams (really should have just used the overlocker and been done but nooooo lets make life harder...lol)

I had to do some emergency work today because a server went down unexpectedly so I didn't get around to doing much except putting on the binding on the neck and arms. I'll put in the zipper tomorrow.

So...where do I begin? This project is such a fail right now. Sure it does happen but...oomph.

I got the bias binding in, which was only slightly problematic (some of it came loose, I tacked it in place. But that zipper....:evil:

Mind you, I've put in a lot of zippers on many different fabrics including chiffon, so nothing different; stay tape, baste in the zipper, then sew with the machine, right?

nope, nope, and nope, thats not how it went! Every time I tried to sew it would go sideways, even with the zipper foot.

Employed the tissue paper technique but when I ripped the paper away, half the stitches slid out (thats not normal!) And I double checked my machine with different cloth (its not the machine clearly!) Used walking foot, single hole 3mm stitch and....

well, I shredded the hell out of the back of this dress.

OK so plan B (because I will salvage this) I already started yesterday. I stay taped the back. I was too mad to sew it together so I'll do that today if I have time (this evening) is to just sew it up 3/4 of the way, put in a button and loop and be done.

I swear I hate chiffon.

OK so plan B (because I will salvage this) I already started yesterday. I stay taped the back. I was too mad to sew it together so I'll do that today if I have time (this evening) is to just sew it up 3/4 of the way, put in a button and loop and be done.

I swear I hate chiffon.
I like plan B!

That sounds painful... Fingers crossed the projects is successful at the end. At least this way you get to joke "I did it but at at what cost?" :lol:

I have nothing to show. I'm knitting socks for the winter. :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results