shape
carat
color
clarity

9-11 Never Forget!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Indeed never forgotten.

DK :confused2:

21st anniversary.
It's hard to believe so much time has gone by.
Those who died that day are forever in their loved one's hearts.
In all of our hearts.
May they RIP

This photo was taken September 10, 2001

twintowerssept102001.jpg

We will never forget.

I will never forget. I will always remember where I was. For better or worse, my diamond obsession had me at a computer screen on a diamond forum (that existed prior to Pricescope), It was there that I learned of the planes crashing into the World Trade Center Towers (one at a time, of course, as all of us who lived through it in slow motion will remember). It was there that someone first said within my "hearing" that it didn't seem like a natural crash. It was a Mexican jeweler who was also a pilot who was on-line at the time the planes hit.

I will always associate 9/11 with this forum and you, my friends. In the days that followed, I told you all the stories about how my family was affected. (My husband had an office on Wall Street but was out of state that day.) I was very lucky to lose no one. It was the beginning of an era, though. I participated in eBay's Auction for America, giving away gifts to raise money for funds for survivors' and rescuers' families.

I knew Karl would faithfully have his thread up here today. God bless America!

Never forgotten!!

Wow. I just read through this whole thread, all of the stories. I've never seen the transcript of Todd Beamer's heroic phone call. There really are no words. Thank you, everyone, for sharing.

Never forget. As a New Yorker, living next door to a responder now fighting a 911 illness and working with a widow of a responder with a 911 cancer, it still feels so devastating. Here, we still suffer the effects of that awful day.
Posting this pic my daughter took in 2020.
Never forget.

2BA367C6-6E7C-449A-A613-A0ED7FBF389C.jpeg

I watched the events unfolding with absolute incredulity. Remembering all those who lost their lives, all those whose bravery and acts of selfless heroism on that day will never be forgotten. We stand united in grief that such evil could exist in our world, and pray that we never see the like again.

F028C99B-5419-49CC-9C04-B8E94B1B2BD5.jpeg

Amy Jarret knew how to travel light.

The 28-year-old flight attendant loved to travel, often jetting off to faraway locales like Hawaii and Australia in between her regularly scheduled routes from Boston to California. When she traveled with family, she often joked about their bulky luggage, teasing them as she held up her own small bag.

“She always said that was the best way to travel. To travel light,” said Alicia Curran, Amy’s sister, during an interview at her North Smithfield home last week.

Amy was killed on Sept. 11, 2001, when hijackers crashed United Airlines Flight 175 into the South Tower of the World Trade Center. Twenty years later, her family said the loss is still sometimes hard to bear.

“They never found, of course, anything of Amy’s,” said Curran. “We never believed that they would.”

Amy, the daughter of Aram Jarret and Marilyn Trudeau was born in Providence, Rhode Island. Her sister and father said she was active in the theater and pageant communities growing up, working behind the counter at the Stadium Theatre and competing for the title of Miss Teen Rhode Island.

Amy attended Mount Saint Charles Academy, where she was a member of the National Honor Society and participated in the drama club. She graduated in 1990 and went on to study marketing at Villanova University, though her father, Aram, said it wasn’t the only college that had a special place in her heart.

“She loved football. She was a rabid Notre Dame fan,” he said, adding she used to travel to Indiana for games.

Upon graduating in 1994, he said, Amy found herself in a tough job market and began working as a flight attendant for American Airlines. Her family said she was perfect for the job, with a friendly, helpful demeanor and a knack for organizing and planning. She later took a job with United Airlines, where her coast-to-coast schedule allowed her to spend time at home with her family on the weekends.

“She had a wonderful sense of humor. She would come back with stories,” Aram said.

On Sept. 11, 2001, Curran was at home with her newborn son, Cade, when she learned of the first attack on the World Trade Center.

“I can remember sitting there with my baby and saying, ‘What a beautiful morning.’ Puffy clouds,” she recalled.

While she was rocking and feeding her baby, she said, she watched the second plane crash into the tower on TV.

Aram, who now serves as North Smithfield’s municipal court judge, was in Old Saybrook, Conn., for a meeting of the New England Association of Chiefs of Police, where he served as legal counsel at the time. A group of participants, he said, were sitting and watching the news in a communications van when the second plane hit the tower.

“While we’re sitting there watching live, the second plane came into the screen on our view and flew into the second tower. I had no idea I was watching my daughter die,” he said.

After they learned from Amy’s boyfriend that it was her flight, Curran said, the rest of the day was a blur. That evening, United Airlines sent representatives to Aram’s house in North Smithfield to confirm her death.

In the years since, the family has made several trips to Ground Zero in New York. The hardest visit, Curran said, was less than a year after the attacks, when the site was still a hole in the ground. More recently, she has brought her sons, Cade, 20, and Declan, 18, to visit the 9/11 Memorial Museum so they can learn about their aunt’s legacy.

“They have no memory of 9/11 other than what we have told them and talked about Amy,” she said.

Both Curran and Aram said they think schools should have more discussion of 9/11 so that the legacy of individuals like Amy is not forgotten by the next generation. While much of the world has moved on from the attacks, Aram said the families of the victims are still seeking to gain closure. Those believed to have planned the attacks are still awaiting trial in Guantanamo Bay, and the Jarret family is one of hundreds that have filed a lawsuit against the government of Saudi Arabia, accused of funding the operation.

“That’s stuff that’s leftover that people don’t realize is still going on,” Aram said.

Today, Amy is remembered in a memorial stone at the North Smithfield intersection and a scholarship in her name at Mount Saint Charles Academy. Curran said she sees Amy in her children, both of whom bear a special connection to the aunt they never got to know.

“She was there when my son was born, and then my second son, he was born on her birthday. All I have to do is look at them,” she said.

Aram said he often thinks of Amy when he sees a young girl playing or riding her bike. Both Aram and Curran said they’re glad the town is gathering to hold a memorial service, which they plan to participate in after they return from New York. In that way, they said, Amy’s legacy continues.

“That’s why we commemorate her on 9/11. That’s a way for us to acknowledge that she’s no longer here,” Curran said.

“In that sense, Amy’s still alive,” Aram added.

Amy Nicole Jarret
10/3/72 - 9/11/01

images (1).jpg

RIP

Every year on Sept 10th as Sept 11th gets closer, I sit here with tears rolling down my face remembering and reading the older threads.
I contemplate starting a new thread for this year or raising an older one.
The older ones have so many memories in them from different people but a new thread is a fresh canvas for new replies.
After reading this thread I decided that the memories contained in it need to raised another year.

Blessings to all,
Never Forget!!!!!!!

@Karl_K thank you for bringing this thread back every year. I read it again each year. Your beautiful tribute to start and all of the remembrances that follow are worth reading again and again. I may be on the other end of the country, but that day is one that will be forever in my memory.

Why do they hate us so much?

I posted that question the day the towers fell, Sept 11, 2021.
It was the first words out of my mouth AS I watched on TV the second tower fall.

I noticed that somehow nobody else was asking this, which I found astonishing and deeply disappointing.
Everyone was too busy taking sides against the evil side. :doh:

Now I know the answer to my 9-11 question, and know the accomplished thinker who wrote it ... the late Nobel Prize winning physicist, Steven Weinberg.

S W.png

Last edited:
People vary.

I'm just another audience member watching the big show of humankind.
But I'm rarely satisfied with what's portrayed on stage.

Rather, my curiosity gets fueled.
I want to understand what's really going on behind the stage that results the show on stage.
Religion is the monster behind the 9-11 show's curtain.

And behind the monster's show of Religion is, well, nothing ... besides some folks who know how to manipulate the insecurities and fears of others to make themselves rich and powerful.

Never forget, indeed!

Last edited:
kenny, we don't ever learn, do we?

Hi, everyone. I was waiting for this morning, wondering if Karl would be awake before I got to the computer. I believe one year I was up first and had to decide what to do about posting. I am so glad you were here early, Karl. This is the place I knew I had to come today. A diamond forum, although not this one, was where I was on September 11, 2001 when the news first broke about the first plane hitting a World Trade Center tower. I no longer spend my time on diamond fora, but my memories of 9/11 and the friends who saw me through those days are all people from them. I will not forget as long as I am alive. I know that the other people posting here, my fellow diamond lovers, will not forget. Hugs to all of you.

(((Hugs)))
Deb/AGBF

I just reread the entire thread. I actually don't know how it can ever be retired. Molly Malone's son and those Oreo cookies are in this thread. I will never forget the attacks on 9/11, but it was this thread that reminded me of the story Molly Malone posted. And this thread holds the transcript of the conversation between Todd Beamer on Flight 93 and people on the ground before he and the other passengers rushed the terrorists and crashed the plane they were on. This thread is a repository of precious memories. (Thank you, Karl.)

I will never forget. Still feels like yesterday to me. I remember the panic and the chaos and the destruction happening before my eyes. Horrific loss of life. :(

I will never forget that horrific day.

It started out as a sunny and beautiful and just the right temp that September morning. I remember thinking what a gorgeous day. I was walking up the subway stairs and people were staring up at the sky. A huge crowd had gathered right at the subway stairs exit outside. I remember saying excuse me please, excuse me please, because I was late to work. I didn't look up and I couldn't spare a moment to see what the brouhaha was about. We were 2 blocks from the towers. You could see the towers right at the subway stairs as you looked up. I however was just looking straight ahead focused on getting to my destination ASAP as I had patients waiting for me.

Once I managed to leave the subway exit I ran down the block to work where there was a lot of commotion. I said what is happening and I was told they weren't sure. A plane accident. A plane had hit the towers. A few minutes later the whole building shook. It was like an earthquake. All of a sudden the floor was thrown into chaos. The staff and the doctors all not sure what to do. The supervisors made an announcement saying we had to evacuate. Immediately. I went to the office and picked up the phone to call Greg and my mom. I did not have a mobile phone at that time.

Everyone was leaving and my friend Tamara came in and said Missy come with me to my apartment (she lived on the UWS at that time) and she said you cannot go to Brooklyn as it is in the direction of the attack. At that time we were surmising it was a terrorist attack. One plane hitting the building could be an accident. But two? No. Had to be terrorists. But I said Tamara, thank you but no, I have to call Greg and my mom first. And I want to go back to my apartment. My cats were there alone. She was insistent but I was more stubborn. She left. I called my mom who said to me I'm on another call, can I call you back. She had no clue what was happening. I said no I am evacuating and will call you when I get to my apartment. Turn on the news. I called Greg. He said he had to stay at the office. I said OK please be careful and I left the building.

I caught the last subway to Brooklyn before they stopped all the trains. It was eery. No one else was on the train but me. Surreal. I got home at 9:35AM or so and was anxious and restless, I called Greg. I called my mom to let them know I was safe and home. I couldn't sit still so I went out to the local grocery shop. Where the TV was on and I saw the towers collapse. Around 10:30 AM I think. I collapsed into tears.

I will never forget. The loss of life that day. The loss of innocence. Mothers and fathers who died leaving their children without their moms and dads. Children dying. Leaving their parents with inconsolable grief. Husbands dying leaving their young wives without a goodbye. Wives dying leaving widowers. And loss of love and life. The heartache that will never leave those who lost loved ones.

The scars of that day have healed somewhat but they will never fully heal. The children that will never be born because of the parents to be that never had a chance to have children because they died that day. And so on and so forth. Because that is how it works. Not just the loss of life that day but the loss of future generations never to be born. The loss of people who died from 9/11 related illnesses. Leaving their families devastated. So much loss and devastation. For what? For hate without reason. No one will ever convince me otherwise. Hate is the poison that will destroy our world. Sooner vs later if we keep going the way we are going.

:(

9:11memorial.jpeg

9:11memorial.jpg

Like yesterday for me and for so many

People vary.

I'm just another audience member watching the big show of humankind.
But I'm rarely satisfied with what's portrayed on stage.

Rather, my curiosity gets fueled.
I want to understand what's really going on behind the stage that results the show on stage.
Religion is the monster behind the 9-11 show's curtain.

And behind the monster's show of Religion is, well, nothing ... besides some folks who know how to manipulate the insecurities and fears of others to make themselves rich and powerful.

Never forget, indeed!

I agree with you Kenny

I agree with you Kenny

Thanks.
Sometimes you really gotta have some big balls, or big ovaries, to admit here that you agree with Kenny.

Another bad thing is that religions have very successfully trained society that they are above reproach and criticism, even when they molest kids.
I'd bet more kids have been molested than innocent adults died on 9-11

IOW even then most people feel it's impolite or rude to speak truth.
They get to do whatever they want, in the name of respecting diversity. :roll:
Hence (in the extreme) events like 9-11, having full faith that their god is on their side. :doh:

Last edited:
I know exactly what I was doing on that faithful day, off to Vancouver airport to collect a hired car with the aim to visit the Rockies.

The airport was eerily quiet, to be informed about some emergency had happened, and flights had been diverted elsewhere.

After I collected my hired car, I heard on the radio about 9/11 including the moment the buildings collapsed.

The event was life-changing for many.

Never forgotten, and never will by me personally.

DK :(2

I'll never forget.
I was listening to the radio on my way to work.
I turned around and went to the home of the only person I knew with a TV.
Together, we watched in disbelief.
Then the towers fell.

It was like ... WTF!?!

Last edited:
I hate September, it's the worst month for me, the 11th even more so, in addition to the terrorist attacks I lost 3 people on Sept 11th (different years) my mother-in-law passed of old age, my niece was murdered by her husband and my mother passed from cancer. It's a day I try not to dwell as it's too hard.

I hate September, it's the worst month for me, the 11th even more so, in addition to the terrorist attacks I lost 3 people on Sept 11th (different years) my mother-in-law passed of old age, my niece was murdered by her husband and my mother passed from cancer. It's a day I try not to dwell as it's too hard.

Oh, I'm so sorry.
That's even worse than my brother being murdered in prison by a fellow inmate.

So very sorry!

@autumngems, I’m so sorry. I wish there was something I could do or say to take some of your pain away today. Unfortunately I know that‘s impossible. I hope you are spending today with people you love.

HI:

Thank you Karl.

kind regards, Sharon

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP