carat
color
clarity

Big News: AGS merging with GIA

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
gia-acc.JPG
So...I'm not really able to comprehend this.....are cash and assets $127,805 x 1000?
That would equal almost $128 Million bucks on hand.
Wow.
Like they give a hoot about cut grading......

For those who like this kind of stuff, here's the same filing for AGS although the most recent one online for them is tax year 2019 for them. Every Nonprofit in the US has to file one of these every year.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Do we know what price GIA paid for AGSL?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Screenshot_20221029-153851.png

Lpsl

Rough_Rock
I hope you are correct in your optimism as it will be the only system to use for many of us. I can’t help but wonder about the impact on the many already GIA graded stones that have received the excellent cut grade. Good for color/clarity but with no reason for many to resubmit for light performance as they wouldn’t receive that ideal grade. I wonder how that will affect pricing? Guess this will all take some time to sort out and we will wait to see how it settles.
Wow, this will be so interesting! I can see a company like Whiteflash automatically adding the AGS cut grade to their certs, but will Blue Nile and James Allen and other vendors? For years, your average consumer has assumed that GIA excellent is just that…excellent. I hope that more consumers learn about the importance of cut and insist on the extra AGS cut grade report.

It will be nice to see no more of the “AGS is soft on color” comments!

Average consumer here, or we were when we chose original natural-mined GIA-graded stone with five-figure price tag. Even from a PS-vetted vendor, buyers still need to know what to look for and ask about. We didn’t. Ouch.

Now have lab-grown anniversary gift (pictured in avatar) with light performance that takes my breath away. Not a super-ideal, yet pretty close… close enough for me!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Average consumer here, or we were when we chose original natural-mined GIA-graded stone with five-figure price tag. Even from a PS-vetted vendor, buyers still need to know what to look for and ask about. We didn’t. Ouch.

Now have lab-grown anniversary gift (pictured in avatar) with light performance that takes my breath away. Not a super-ideal, yet pretty close… close enough for me!

Yes, GIA rounds their figures so what might sound good may not be. AGS diamonds gave you the exact measurements and light performance assessment so you had a much better idea of what you were buying. As long as that process is still included in the merger, we can still have that assurance. Beyond that, you must find a vendor that will be able to discuss and disclose exactly what you are buying. Sorry that your GIA stone didn’t live up to your expectations but sounds like you have found a LGD that you love.

Lpsl

Rough_Rock
Yes, GIA rounds their figures so what might sound good may not be. AGS diamonds gave you the exact measurements and light performance assessment so you had a much better idea of what you were buying. As long as that process is still included in the merger, we can still have that assurance. Beyond that, you must find a vendor that will be able to discuss and disclose exactly what you are buying. Sorry that your GIA stone didn’t live up to your expectations but sounds like you have found a LGD that you love.

Yes - we naively thought GIA 3x meant just that. Very appreciative of the wealth Of expertise here that informed the more economical choice of LGD with overall much better value. Would try natural mined again armed with new knowledge and a Powerball win (dreams of Decagon…. )

SoaRFaabz

Rough_Rock
2 years later and nothing has changed. GCAL’s 8X is the best report that I’m aware of

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results