shape
carat
color
clarity

CAD help 3 stone OMC ring

@Dreamer_D I have thought of doing this, I love your ring and many other PSers that have platinum baskets, my worry is that my center stone is an M…but I have also worried that it would then take on the yellow of the gold more. I see the color of the stone in certain lighting, of course, I don’t necessarily want to highlight that but I’m not always sure which basket color will do that more.

I love it in the yellow gold!

EDIT: I think this is apparent in the pictures you posted. The stone looks more neutral with white metal (the lighting is obviously different from picture to pictures but I still think it’s apparent.)

You are so right - in these pics it looks a lot whiter with the white prongs!

I love it in the yellow gold!

Remember that if the shank is YG you will still see the yellow beside and below the stones like in these pictures!

Either way is beautiful I am sure. I am biased in that I think two-tone looks very delicate and I love the added detail, too, of two metal colors.

@Dreamer_D @jjca
I ordered a cheapie two tone ring this morning to get a feel for it! I am definitely partial to yellow gold, however, platinum baskets have always been on the back of my mind. I don’t own anything platinum so it’s hard to get a feel for the color tone of platinum…but hopefully at least the fake ring will be a start! I had also considered a brushed finish to tone down the gold but I do prefer polished and I don’t think that would impact the stones. Klass does not yet have my stones (I thought they’d want them before starting CADs?!) but I am also hopeful that they may have an opinion once they see them, if I have not yet decided.

Last edited:
I have two M omc and one is set in platinum and the cluster is in yg with wg prongs. I know the hesitation in trying a different metal but you won't even notice the prongs! All you'll see are diamonds.

Either way will be gorgeous. Go with your gut.

I have two M omc and one is set in platinum and the cluster is in yg with wg prongs. I know the hesitation in trying a different metal but you won't even notice the prongs! All you'll see are diamonds.
@maryjane04 i lovvvvve your OMCs and both settings. I’m feeling more interested in two tone. My sister pointed out that I chose two tone for my bathroom fixtures with polished nickel and brushed gold/brass so I do apparently like a mixture lol. I see so many old cut stones in yellow gold so I know I can go that direction if I want and I'm sure I’ll love it.

Aww thank you @bee24 so you're already used to seeing two toned things. Andria Barbone has lots of three stone rings on her website currently and a few of them have white metal prongs just do you can get an idea.

Aww thank you @bee24 so you're already used to seeing two toned things. Andria Barbone has lots of three stone rings on her website currently and a few of them have white metal prongs just do you can get an idea.

Yes! I was looking at those last night lol. I could not find any with stones any lower than a J…which doesn’t help my hesitation but I love your M in platinum.

I love this one…but it also made me want bigger side stones .

The basket in white metal really does just blend against the diamond.

The basket in white metal really does just blend against the diamond.

Definitely. I’ve played with white metal tones (though not platinum) and yellow gold and I haven’t seen in person a huge difference, some lighting shows the stone color regardless of the metal, which makes sense.
I set the stone between some gold earrings, between my old ring jacket and also against a silver turquoise ring and I think I can go either way…pictures also seem to show the color more but I’m leaning two tone.

Attachments

• IMG_7197.jpeg
    IMG_7197.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7198.jpeg
    IMG_7198.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7188.jpeg
    IMG_7188.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7187.jpeg
    IMG_7187.jpeg
    202.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7210.jpeg
    IMG_7210.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7211.jpeg
    IMG_7211.jpeg
    157.6 KB · Views: 16
Yes your diamond looks lovely with both metals.

Will you wear a wb?

Yes your diamond looks lovely with both metals.

Will you wear a wb?

Not to start, this will be more bling than I’m used to and I plan to wear it a bit first. I do like the look of a plain 18k gold band and have kept met eyes out for one. I’m sure I’ll try some options but I think I’ll generally wear it solo.

I wear mine solo too.

Me too! I never found a band I liked with my original 3 stone ER and I prefer my new one without it.

Same lol

Comparing two cheapie rings…which really isn’t much help because they are CZs and the wrong prongs/number of prongs lol. However, I have been helping going through my (recently) late 102 yr old grandma’s jewelry and decided to compare her stone to mine! I think her stone is a higher color but has some warmth, we have no info on it so just comparing to mine. Anyways, seeing her stone in platinum is pushing me that way!

Attachments

• IMG_7361.jpeg
    IMG_7361.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7372.jpeg
    IMG_7372.jpeg
    201.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7334.jpeg
    IMG_7334.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 17
Your grandmothers ring is beautiful! Looks 1950s to me. And it looks in the same color range. Glad you have some comparisons!

@Dreamer_D That timeframe fits! It sadly has a chip but she never took it off so not surprising it has some damage.

David Klass sent some more renderings with two tone! It is helpful to my brain to visually see it. I am not sold though. It doesn’t seem like my ring has a great transition spot for gold to platinum. In my perfect world the shank would transition to one prong but I prefer the profile of the side stones to match the center which then requires the shank to taper (reverse taper?) to two prongs rather than one….if that makes sense. I don’t have to do a shoulder but I had liked the idea so I could do some design element but I’m struggle there too! I’m wondering if I just do a split shank instead of trying to do something interesting, the cad from the side almost looks like a split shank. I mocked up what it would look like with the bridge gold.

These are such tiny details and I am so frustrated that I cannot just be decisive. I’ll have to analyze my decision making skills at another time lol.

I still love my inspiration pic but I think things are just different with a solitaire vs a three stone.

Attachments

• IMG_7447.jpeg
    IMG_7447.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7448.jpeg
    IMG_7448.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7446.jpeg
    IMG_7446.jpeg
    45 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7449.jpeg
    IMG_7449.jpeg
    223.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_7454.png
    IMG_7454.png
    306.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6019.jpeg
    IMG_6019.jpeg
    256.3 KB · Views: 18
FWIW, I really like the split shank! I know the process can be frustrating, but I really do think you will have a beautiful ring in the end. =)2

I recently had a custom project and the options are endless. I was quite overwhelmed with all the little details and trying to combine so many different elements.

However in the end I went with my initial vision and what was true to me. That was keeping it simple since I'm a pretty simple person and you can never get tired of something classic.

I think the split shank is a little detail that you can add which makes your ring unique to you. Since the stones would cover most of your finger you may not see too much of the shoulders anyway.

I would do yellow gold bridge and nix the split shank.

FWIW, I really like the split shank! I know the process can be frustrating, but I really do think you will have a beautiful ring in the end. =)2
Thank you!

I recently had a custom project and the options are endless. I was quite overwhelmed with all the little details and trying to combine so many different elements.

However in the end I went with my initial vision and what was true to me. That was keeping it simple since I'm a pretty simple person and you can never get tired of something classic.

I think the split shank is a little detail that you can add which makes your ring unique to you. Since the stones would cover most of your finger you may not see too much of the shoulders anyway.
Great advice! I had always wanted to add some “small detail” but turns out there are a lot of possible “small details” lol . I have just been hyper analyzing every single element! It has been really fun but I’m ready to have my stones on my hand.

I would do yellow gold bridge and nix the split shank.

Thanks! I think that gold bridge allows for a smoother transition. Visually I am drawn to the shoulder/cathedral but I’m struggling on how to achieve it. If I did the two tone then I would not do the platinum detail in shoulder but keep it all gold. The current cads show it as a platinum detail still and I had never thought of doing a split shank until the one picture kinda looks like it…which could look very nice…eek.

Edit to add: I think the cad even shows how convoluted it is where the shoulder meets the basket! As it looks like a split shank in the one picture but our other renderings have metal. It’s a helpful angle, I just have to decide (duh, lol)…

I appreciate everyone’s input!! As always, it’s incredibly helpful.

If I did the two tone then I would not do the platinum detail in shoulder but keep it all gold.

I think this would work, if you really want some detail in the bridge, just keep it all yellow. I think making it white metal is what is throwing it off.

Thank you!

Great advice! I had always wanted to add some “small detail” but turns out there are a lot of possible “small details” lol . I have just been hyper analyzing every single element! It has been really fun but I’m ready to have my stones on my hand.

Thanks! I think that gold bridge allows for a smoother transition. Visually I am drawn to the shoulder/cathedral but I’m struggling on how to achieve it. If I did the two tone then I would not do the platinum detail in shoulder but keep it all gold. The current cads show it as a platinum detail still and I had never thought of doing a split shank until the one picture kinda looks like it…which could look very nice…eek.

Edit to add: I think the cad even shows how convoluted it is where the shoulder meets the basket! As it looks like a split shank in the one picture but our other renderings have metal. It’s a helpful angle, I just have to decide (duh, lol)…

I appreciate everyone’s input!! As always, it’s incredibly helpful.

I am having trouble interpreting the CAD for the shoulder detail. Is it a split shank with open air between or is it like in the photo with diamonds bead set into a channel?

I think this would work, if you really want some detail in the bridge, just keep it all yellow. I think making it white metal is what is throwing it off.

I have milgrain detail on my bridge and I love it. This is from when I first got the ring and it was antiqued but it shows the milgrain around the base of the shank and then a double row across the bridge. It still looks gorgeous now that I removed the antiquing. I was inspired by many antiques that had similar detail. Sometimes where there is a detail on the shoulder the milgrain will follow that, say in a shield shape around the inset diamonds. You could easily do something like that.

Yes! Did you mean shoulder or bridge? I think that is the issue. If it’s all gold I can do a platinum detail in the shoulder but with the two tone the shoulder just needs to be all gold!

I am having trouble interpreting the CAD for the shoulder detail. Is it a split shank with open air between or is it like in the photo with diamonds bead set into a channel?
My original design idea does not have any open air. The cad seems to show open air on accident because there is a small diamond just floating lol. My idea was basically combining the photo you are referencing and the ones I attached below but closing the open air. I wanted the yellow gold of the shank to split blending up into the prongs and in the space between would be a platinum accent with Milgrain and possibly a single cut tiny diamond. I thought the platinum accent could end in the same U shape swoop of the swoops in the baskets. I never found an inspiration picture exactly like I want and definitely not on a three stone and maybe that indicates an issue.

I have milgrain detail on my bridge and I love it. This is from when I first got the ring and it was antiqued but it shows the milgrain around the base of the shank and then a double row across the bridge. It still looks gorgeous now that I removed the antiquing. I was inspired by many antiques that had similar detail. Sometimes where there is a detail on the shoulder the milgrain will follow that, say in a shield shape around the inset diamonds. You could easily do something like that.

IMG_0738.jpeg
I didn’t realize you removed the antiquing! I’ll have to go look at the original post. I think what you are describing is what I have been going for with the milgrain etc. I find it difficult to put into words!

Attachments

• IMG_7479.jpeg
    IMG_7479.jpeg
    643.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7478.png
    IMG_7478.png
    276.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7476.jpeg
    IMG_7476.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 8
Yes! Did you mean shoulder or bridge? I think that is the issue. If it’s all gold I can do a platinum detail in the shoulder but with the two tone the shoulder just needs to be all gold!

Yes, I meant make the bridge yellow if you want two tone in the shoulder. Sorry, was trying to multi-task and didn't proof read.

Can you do the donuts in yellow gold?

I love this metal transition:

My original design idea does not have any open air. The cad seems to show open air on accident because there is a small diamond just floating lol. My idea was basically combining the photo you are referencing and the ones I attached below but closing the open air. I wanted the yellow gold of the shank to split blending up into the prongs and in the space between would be a platinum accent with Milgrain and possibly a single cut tiny diamond. I thought the platinum accent could end in the same U shape swoop of the swoops in the baskets. I never found an inspiration picture exactly like I want and definitely not on a three stone and maybe that indicates an issue.

I didn’t realize you removed the antiquing! I’ll have to go look at the original post. I think what you are describing is what I have been going for with the milgrain etc. I find it difficult to put into words!

Pictures are always better than words!

I see now what you mean about a shoulder detail. They are all very pretty! It is safest to see if you can find examples from DKs own work, I think. If he has never done it.... I would hesitate.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP