shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Gypsy for some halo advise

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
I'm getting a bit confused exactly how to explain to the jewellers what I want. How do you describe this pavè?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is what you do. You send them an email like the one below and include the following pictures:

Hi, thanks so much for sending me the pictures of the pave you are proposing for my ring. I have follow up question. Can you please look at the pictures I've included here and tell me if you have experience executing that style of pave?
Thank you!
YOUR NAME
PaveCloseup1.jpg
3ringsprongs1.jpg
DSCN0698.jpg

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Ok he has shown me this ring that he made for another lady - he was matching the pavè to her wedding band but he will do mine much closer. He said he's happy to do this style of pavè.

Here are pics:

_19685.jpg

_19686.jpg

_19687.jpg

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Notice the air line (space between center stone and pave on halo), is that OK?

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I spotted that but that's where my graduated sized melee come in. In terms of this pavè though, is it good, bad, ok?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly. Not good at all.

Here's why:
That melee on that is VERY large. And the pave is uneven and frankly sloppy. The bench that did this is NOT going to be get you a thin delicate v-cut type pave halo with metal only where it needs to be.

Notice the green prong isn't even on that stone it is next to? It misses it completely. That stone is MISSING a prong it needs.

And then there's the red circled prongs. Look at those. Then look at the samples of the pave I posted for you. See how those prongs are even and exactly the same on each stone and none of them are all smushed looking and wonky? That's just sloppy and well inept.

A vendor sends you ONLY the work he's proud of.

If this is what he's proud of. You've got a problem.

Both examples of pave show a lack of skill or delicacy. And that means loosing stones and unhappiness down the road.

Don't work with this vendor. Move on.

Frankly, you should be working with Victor Canera, ERD or Steven Kirsch.

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Gypsy. This melee was bigger due to request of client but I also feel it looks a bit sloppy.
I'm waiting to hear from VC and will contact erd now also.

My other jeweller is getting back to me too so I'll have se more info.

DiamondJ

Rough_Rock
No I haven't received my ring back yet, we are now in the sixth week of it being with the jeweler and as of today its still not yet back from the casting company, hoping I won't regret my decision to use them. I think it will be at least 1.5 - 2 weeks before I get it back!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good news that you are looking at other vendors!
My only point with the large melee is this: If they couldn't do a clean, delicate, consistently pave with BIG melee, there's no CHANCE they are going to be able to do it with tiny 1/2 point melee.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1404188942|3704232 said:
Honestly. Not good at all.

Here's why:
That melee on that is VERY large. And the pave is uneven and frankly sloppy. The bench that did this is NOT going to be get you a thin delicate v-cut type pave halo with metal only where it needs to be.

Notice the green prong isn't even on that stone it is next to? It misses it completely. That stone is MISSING a prong it needs.

And then there's the red circled prongs. Look at those. Then look at the samples of the pave I posted for you. See how those prongs are even and exactly the same on each stone and none of them are all smushed looking and wonky? That's just sloppy and well inept.

A vendor sends you ONLY the work he's proud of.

If this is what he's proud of. You've got a problem.

Both examples of pave show a lack of skill or delicacy. And that means loosing stones and unhappiness down the road.

Don't work with this vendor. Move on.

Frankly, you should be working with Victor Canera, ERD or Steven Kirsch.

Forgot the image that the above was supposed to have posted.

_19686_1.jpg

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
I've contacted ERD and also victor. I know it gets done, but is there a chance ERD or other May make my ring and I can have my princess set here instead of posting it to them?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Victor... probably not. ERD... MAYBE if you get a Sarin locally of your stone and send it to them, AND they do the setting via CAD and CAST not handmade (which is fine).

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
ERD needs my stone - ill do some post investigations....

This is another pic of a double halo from yet another jeweller here: when I enlarge it it's blurry so I can't really tell the quality or delicacy.

_19718.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You you need to send them one of the pics I posted for you above and tell them you want an image that shows the pave detail like those does.

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Gyspy,
I have received a quote now from SK LM and VC. I chatted with Mark at ERD and all 4 of these jewellers require my centre stone (which I totally understand).

I had a jeweller in Brisbane tell me today that micro pave is faulty and dangerous and is only made in factories overseas...... so I've crossed him off my list as I feel he may be uneducated or wont design what I want......

I wanted to float another idea past you - EternitybyYoni has a Harry Winston inspired cushion halo which they can make without my centre (made to my exact specifications) and I would have a local jeweller set my centre here.

http://www.eternitybyyoni.com/engagement-rings/diamond-engagement-ring/Harry-Winston-Inspired-Halo-Ring-520.htm#

The biggest factor for me (apart from not wanting to spend too much) is that visibly I am used to looking down on my current halo and loving the dimensions of it. If I have smaller melee and remove the airline this then will make it look smaller..... Sounds silly but I waited 7 years for my upgrade from my 0.83 princess to this 1.55 princess and I don't want to feel as though Ive taken a backward step. This is why I thought of the graduated melee to enable me to maintain most of the "size" of my current halo.....

Thank you so much in advance and Ill look forward to your response.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know enough about Eternity by Yoni to advise you there.
There are a number of pricescoper who have bought from them. But no one I personally know. I do personally know, and have seen in person (or own myself) settings pave by Steven, Victor and ERD (and BGD, and WF for that matter, and they are both good as well but seem to be higher priced than ERD for CAD and CAST).

You would have to decide if it's a good fit for you.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-engagement-ring-from-eternity-diamonds.180794/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-engagement-ring-from-eternity-diamonds.180794/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/charlotte-has-a-forever-home.200421/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/charlotte-has-a-forever-home.200421/[/URL]

I don't see a lot of super TINY melee (.5 points), but I do see evenness. And it's definitely better than the other folks you were talking to there.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you asked Gary Holloway for an Aussie Pave recommendation? Email him off the boards?

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
I've just emailed him :)

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
I've spoken with yoni and mark (erd) back and forth. Both are happy To make whatever I want but I think I'm trying to get a designers perspective in relation to my current dimensions of halo and how a reset will make this look.

Mark didn't think I should go to 1/2 pointers.

nottospec

Shiny_Rock
Hi LaurenK,

If you want to try an Aussie jeweler, maybe you can investigate Antons in Melbourne?

I have just yesterday picked up some custom earrings using some antique zircons and my old unused bits of diamonds and am thrilled with the outcome. The earrings are great and I am really happy with the workmanship considering they had to copy and complement a 1920s deco ring I already had.

I deal with Sesil, the daughter of the owner, who is fun and easy to relate to. They may be another option for you..

http://www.antonjewellery.com/

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Hello nottospec! Thanks for the lead I'll investigate for sure. :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well. You wanted a delicate halo like mine. Mine is 1/2 pointers. But your stone is larger. So... maybe stones slightly larger would work. BUT I would still want the halo stones under a full point.

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy,
You dont happen to have hand shots with your ring prior to and after your reset?

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
LaurenK I'm also considering Eternity by yoni. I've been exchanging emails and so far I like them. I'm waiting to hear back on what size mele they use.

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy thank you SOOOO much. Love your rings (all of them)!!!

I too have just emailed yet another one off to Yoni and wanted him to suggest melee sizes to me given my centre stone size instead of telling him. This way he can think about it and hopefully will consider everything we've spoken about instead of me saying "I want 1 pointers" and him saying "Ohh yes that sounds perfect".

Yoni will make my ring without my centre stone which is why he's a contender for me currently ( I realise its not ideal but being in Australia Im not sure I can take the plunge to post my ring).

Keep me posted with your progress and what you decide to do! What are your ideas and specs at moment??

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I have no idea really. I love the Harry Winston round halo. My stone is a 1.8 RB I VS1. I have been going crazy trying to decide between putting it into another solitaire such as the Vatche U113 or to halo it. I'm leaning towards the halo. Now I just need to figure out what modifications I want to make so I have lots of research to do.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
3ringsprongs1.jpg

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Candygrl|1404794455|3708728 said:
I have no idea really. I love the Harry Winston round halo. My stone is a 1.8 RB I VS1. I have been going crazy trying to decide between putting it into another solitaire such as the Vatche U113 or to halo it. I'm leaning towards the halo. Now I just need to figure out what modifications I want to make so I have lots of research to do.

If I lived in the States, Id have probably gone with SK.

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
My budget has to stay reasonable so that's also appealing about Yoni. My budget is around $2500-$3000, so my options are limited.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results