shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Gypsy for some halo advise

Candygrl|1404800003|3708764 said:
My budget has to stay reasonable so that's also appealing about Yoni. My budget is around $2500-$3000, so my options are limited.

Not that limited.

If you have a round there are stock settings that might work for you too.

Obviously this is specific to my halo, but as a guide:

Leon quoted $5500
SK - $4600
VC - $4295
Mark at ERD - $2650 for 18k white gold or $3300 for platinum.
Ive seen both Yoni and ERD halos on PRICESCOPE and they all look gorgeous. Yoni emailed me some halo's he had done so I could see the work and not the images on his site.

Laurenk I'll ask for some pictures too ;) the ERD price doesn't seem too high. Maybe I'll consider them as well :) so much to think about, ugh.

I know! I wish Id been vigilant on here before my upgrade so I could have done the setting properly the first time.

I wish I had a crystal ball. Although, I do feel Im getting closer. Gyspy has been so kind with her time and advise.

My biggest hurdle remains that Im in Australia. My second hurdle is that my halo diamter is larger due to airline etc.... so Im used to this "bigger" overall size on my finger.... I dont want a "cocktail" looking ring but am trying to minimise making it smaller.

:)

I wasn't even considering a re-set until my eternity band starting chewing the crap out of my engagement ring prongs. I can't seem to find a spacer that I like or that works, so here I am lol.

I stumbled upon a fellow aussie's post today. She had VC make her ring without her centre stone.
I'm seriously thinking of this. His work is amazing. I don't want to do this reset again. I've toyed with upgrading again to a bigger princess but feel this is silly.

I've emailed Paige a million questions... Excited to hear what they say.

I've been told that 1.5pointers will add about 2.2 to 2.5mm to the centre stone. I don't actually get this equation. Isn't a 1.5 pointer 1.5mm approx? I'm doing calculations to see what my halo size will be after I reset.......

laurenk|1405160147|3711910 said:
I stumbled upon a fellow aussie's post today. She had VC make her ring without her centre stone.
I'm seriously thinking of this. His work is amazing. I don't want to do this reset again. I've toyed with upgrading again to a bigger princess but feel this is silly.

I've been told that 1.5pointers will add about 2.2 to 2.5mm to the centre stone. I don't actually get this equation. Isn't a 1.5 pointer 1.5mm approx? I'm doing calculations to see what my halo size will be after I reset.......
the halo doesn't sit flat- but tilts downward to frame the main diamond. This avoids the "pancake" look.- As a result when you look straight down on it, it doesn't add the whole 3mm to the width

pinkjewel|1405163617|3711927 said:

the halo doesn't sit flat- but tilts downward to frame the main diamond. This avoids the "pancake" look.- As a result when you look straight down on it, it doesn't add the whole 3mm to the width

Thanks pinkjewel - I feel the angle looks so lovely. I actually thinking of halo'ing my princess and adding baguettes to the sides..... I've always loved side baguettes.....

I realise angling the halo will make the halo a little less sizey than straight out, but I still wonder how a stone of such dimension adds a bigger dimension? Is it the metal used?

Pointers is a weight, not the size:
100 pointers= 1 ct
I think :twisted:
So, it could very well be that a weight of 1.5 points for the melee, adds x mm in width.

laurenk|1405164267|3711929 said:

Thanks pinkjewel - I feel the angle looks so lovely. I actually thinking of halo'ing my princess and adding baguettes to the sides..... I've always loved side baguettes.....

I realise angling the halo will make the halo a little less sizey than straight out, but I still wonder how a stone of such dimension adds a bigger dimension? Is it the metal used?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. A 1.5 pointer is aprox 1.5mm is correct. If you add 1.5mm to each side you get 3mm added width if they were just laid flat. Since they're angled downward you will lose just a tad width resulting in your 2.2 to 2.5mm. Now are you saying that they mean it will add 2.2 to 2.5 each side? You're right, then, that doesn't seem to add up since none of the vendors you're talking with show much metal. Seems like a lot of added width in that case. I'm coming in late and haven't read your whole thread (sorry) which style pave are you asking them to use?

pinkjewel|1405197656|3712166 said:
laurenk|1405164267|3711929 said:

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. A 1.5 pointer is aprox 1.5mm is correct. If you add 1.5mm to each side you get 3mm added width if they were just laid flat. Since they're angled downward you will lose just a tad width resulting in your 2.2 to 2.5mm. Now are you saying that they mean it will add 2.2 to 2.5 each side? You're right, then, that doesn't seem to add up since none of the vendors you're talking with show much metal. Seems like a lot of added width in that case. I'm coming in late and haven't read your whole thread (sorry) which style pave are you asking them to use?

Ill clarify this with jeweller. I do not want metal showing (well the bare minimum). I want the pavè as per vc's emilya which is u cut pavè I think?

I can't recommend ERD highly enough for this work and budget. Have you spoken with Chris?

WillyDiamond|1405204878|3712207 said:
I can't recommend ERD highly enough for this work and budget. Have you spoken with Chris?
Hi Willydiamond - I've spoken at lengths with Mark at ERD actually and he is so helpful and patient hehe. He requires my centre stone in order to create my new setting which is ok however with insurance/taxes/ etc.... Plus absolute horror at the stone being lost.... I can't quite commit yet.....

Yoni from eternitybyyoni can make setting without centre but I don't know about them yet either.....

Hi Laurenk just wanted to update you with my decision. After seeing a picture of the Yoni setting I decided against going with him. Wasn't impressed at all. I'm upping my budget and going with VC. I want it to be done right KWIM? Good luck!

laurenk|1405205381|3712208 said:
Hi Willydiamond - I've spoken at lengths with Mark at ERD actually and he is so helpful and patient hehe. He requires my centre stone in order to create my new setting which is ok however with insurance/taxes/ etc.... Plus absolute horror at the stone being lost.... I can't quite commit yet.....

Yoni from eternitybyyoni can make setting without centre but I don't know about them yet either.....

I hear your concern........however, when I had my wife's ring done, he needed the center stone also. I sent it to him USPS, Registered, Insured for full value. Yes, USPS is slow, but the most reliable. I have never heard of them losing a registered package, and to boot its insured. I am also a watch enthusiast and over the years have bought and sold a dozen Rolex watches for my personal use, I always ship Registered mail, never a problem. Best of luck.

Willy she's overseas in Australia.

WillyDiamond|1405212990|3712244 said:
laurenk|1405205381|3712208 said:

I hear your concern........however, when I had my wife's ring done, he needed the center stone also. I sent it to him USPS, Registered, Insured for full value. Yes, USPS is slow, but the most reliable. I have never heard of them losing a registered package, and to boot its insured. I am also a watch enthusiast and over the years have bought and sold a dozen Rolex watches for my personal use, I always ship Registered mail, never a problem. Best of luck.
That is great to hear..... I'm in Australia though so I have to research all my options at this end including fedex which doesn't offer insurance....... I looked through your threads and saw your wife's stunning reset. Mark and his team to lovely work!!!!

Some vendors can send you a Fed Ex label. How that works is this:

You pay for it outright to the vendor.
But it's under their account and their insurance, so it can be insured for the full amount. Then send you the label. You print it out. It will have detailed explanation of how to package. You must follow that in order for the insurance to cover.
You get the packaging from your local Fed Ex office. Package it, put the label on it then make sure you drop it off and see it scanned in front of you.

Some vendors have insurance that will allow this. Others do not.

It sounds to me like it's worth your time to call around and see if any of the vendors you are considering can do this for you.

It largely depends on the value of your centre stone, some vendors (very few in reality unless you purchased the stone from them) will do a reverse FedEx ship for you so that it is fully insured but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks gypsy and arkieb1
I'll get onto that now. I realise retail valuations for insurance purposes are not necessarily a true reflection of the actual replacement cost but I physically paid $12k for my princess, so I NEED peace of mind and good insurance.

Thank you for your continued help xx

I'm now thinking of adding tapered baguettes to the sides of my princess (keeping halo) and no pavè on band.......

Hi you need to explore both - if any vendors will attempt to make a setting for you without the centre stone which you will do at your own risk if it doesn't fit or you dislike it or if any will do reverse/pickup ship for you. If not then your options are taking the stone to the US yourself or sending it with someone you know (they can mail it back to you fully insured btw but you will have to have to fill in forms to prove it left the country or get someone to wear it back in) or alternatively it will all get too difficult and if you are in a rush it might be easier to find someone here.

A few members have been happy with their pave pieces from jewellers in Sydney and in Melbourne. I don't know anyone here that even vaguely compares with Victor's work but I am super fussy.

Ella please wake up!

Dancing Fire|1405318796|3712869 said:
Ella please wake up!
Who's Ella? Hehe

Ok now a lot of the jewellers have been spoken to etc..... Mark at ERD has agreed (after talking to his bench poeple?) that he will create my setting but leave prongs open so I can have it set locally. This saves me a lot of time and angst with insurance/post/tax/customs etc....

You've all been so helpful and Gypsy thank you so so much.

I did discuss a fair few ideas with Mark and hoping to maybe get some further help to start this process, and again with the CADS when they come in.

Im thinking of a subtle split shank maybe, as per VC/s Anne Marie I think its called. I also LOVE the second pave row on VC's Emilya with second row pave (its on his website but Ill try to post link). I love Frankie's beautiful Halo and like all the pave everywhere.

Thanks so much!

Im thinking 2mm shank. Little metal as possible showing. Thinking 25-30 deg angle on the halo..... Not sure if this is essential but I do like it...

_20221.jpg

5816-717-474_0.jpg

_20222.jpg

2mm shank. 20% halo tilt. And I would get a SARIN locally of your princess and have it sent to Mark. That is the best way to ensure a proper fit.

Thanks gypsy! Any particular reason why 20% or you just feel aesthetically this is better? Also do you feel split shank or single? I realise it's entirely personal choice but you do have an eye for it! :)

I prefer split shanks without halos on square stones. So for me it would be single. But it REALLY is personal preference.

20% is what I've seen recommended by the artists here and I believe it's around what Victor and Steven do. Too sharp an angle and you lose too much from the top view. If Mark is going to do a CAD for you, then you can see what it looks like with 20% and if you want it steeper, you can have him adjust that for you.

Gypsy|1405408057|3713510 said:
I prefer split shanks without halos on square stones. So for me it would be single. But it REALLY is personal preference.

20% is what I've seen recommended by the artists here and I believe it's around what Victor and Steven do. Too sharp an angle and you lose too much from the top view. If Mark is going to do a CAD for you, then you can see what it looks like with 20% and if you want it steeper, you can have him adjust that for you.
Thanks!!! Very close to pulling trigger!!! Yay!!!

Gypsy, I contacted the certifier of my princess and was told that they used sarin imaging?? to create the cert hence all measurements on the cert are exact. Should this be acceptable? I wonder if there's any budge room at all?

Mark at ERD feels 20deg will be too harsh of an angle, I'm just waiting To hear back from him with what he proposes.

He also thinks to keep the cathedral if I wants a split or no cathedral if I want single shank

I'm trying I get things perfect before I give him the go ahead.... I know he will do a fabulous job but I don't want to go back and forth with cads too much.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results