shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion modified brilliant vs Old miner help

Will wait for some better lighting, but here are some pictures and videos of the stones!

Can you spot which one is which in this video?

Side view picture here:

More videos: Can you guess which is which?
Stone 1 - Stone 2 -
I am curious if it is obvious to you experts :D I truthfully like both a lot!

Is the J on the bottom of the first video? I love the chunk on the J. Test them both out under a shady tree. Look at both in dim lighting, too.

What's the price differential between the two?

Is the J on the bottom of the first video? I love the chunk on the J. Test them both out under a shady tree. Look at both in dim lighting, too.

Ooh I will definitely go under a shady tree. The pricing difference is nothing too outrageous.

I think I really like both stones.

Also, I have a bit of a dilemma. The H was sourced by the jeweler/designer I want to work with as she has done so much to help me through this process. The J is from a different jeweler. H jeweler does not set outside stones. So if I go with the J jeweler, it feels like I am betraying the H jeweler I have been in communication with since the start! :( Also, my preference would be to still work with H jeweler if possible. :errrr:

Ooh I will definitely go under a shady tree. The pricing difference is nothing too outrageous.

Also, I have a bit of a dilemma. The H was sourced by the jeweler/designer I want to work with as she has done so much to help me through this process. The J is from a different jeweler. H jeweler does not set outside stones. So if I go with the J jeweler, it feels like I am betraying the H jeweler I have been in communication with since the start! :( Also, my preference would be to still work with H jeweler if possible. :errrr:

Buy the perfect stone for you. You can have the H jeweler make your wedding band.

I think you have figured out through this process that antique stones are almost like thumbprints. Each one is a little different unlike modern cut stones.

Also, the cert for the H is no longer accessible through imgur. Is 58.8% the depth?

Do you like them both better than the L? How long can you hang onto both to compare them?

Being able to have the setting you want and working with someone you like is important, but ultimately it's your money and you also need to make sure you end up with the ring you would love most. That could mean the vibes of Jeweler H will push you over the edge, but if you like J better then you should do J!

One of the places they differ to me is the faceting in the center but especially the height of the crown. Do you have one of the ring tweezer holders that you can wear so you can see them at the angle you would look at them most often? You don't usually see your hands from straight on unless you're posing for ring photos!

Do you like them both better than the L? How long can you hang onto both to compare them?

Being able to have the setting you want and working with someone you like is important, but ultimately it's your money and you also need to make sure you end up with the ring you would love most. That could mean the vibes of Jeweler H will push you over the edge, but if you like J better then you should do J!

One of the places they differ to me is the faceting in the center but especially the height of the crown. Do you have one of the ring tweezer holders that you can wear so you can see them at the angle you would look at them most often? You don't usually see your hands from straight on unless you're posing for ring photos!

Yes I DO. This has made me realize I do truly value the color more than I thought. I am ready to let go of the L :')

In the last 2 video links I posted, I am wearing both stones on a ring tweezer holder! I will try to take some more videos of each one now. I honestly mix them up, they are quite similar :lol:

lol... yes I can easily tell which is which :geek2:.

The J has a nicer cut, the H is whiter. Which do you like better?

lol... yes I can easily tell which is which :geek2:.

The J has a nicer cut, the H is whiter. Which do you like better?

I think I like the J's cut better but also love the H because it is slightly more elongated! But honestly they are very similar to me. The sparkle of the J is slightly prettier. The H is definitely super duper white and bright which I feel like is hard to come by with these old stones!

Idk which one to pick! :errrr:

I think I like the J's cut better but also love the H because it is slightly more elongated! But honestly they are very similar to me. The sparkle of the J is slightly prettier. The H is definitely super duper white and bright which I feel like is hard to come by with these old stones!

When do you need to decide? And do you find this searching process fun so you wouldn't mind if it continues or stressful where you just want to choose one and move on?

I don’t think there is a *wrong* choice here. The H very pretty. I would choose the J bc cut is king for me. But given your social circle it seems like near colorless might lead to more positive interactions with family etc. and you can go with the setting vendor you want.

Will wait for some better lighting, but here are some pictures and videos of the stones! (H vs J)

Can you spot which one is which in this video?

Side view picture here:

More videos: Can you guess which is which?
Stone 1 - Stone 2 -
I am curious if it is obvious to you experts :D I truthfully like both a lot!

The H is on the top and is stone #2.

To me the centre of the H is not as crisp, the faceting gets lost and just looks white.

I think you'll need to play around with it in various lighting conditions. I think the H is white but will lack the fire that we love.

When do you need to decide? And do you find this searching process fun so you wouldn't mind if it continues or stressful where you just want to choose one and move on?

I have to return the H tomorrow, but I think I have until end of week to decide? I have a week to decide on the J! I do find this fun, but the decision fatigue is getting to me. I just want to land on *my stone* :D

I don’t think there is a *wrong* choice here. The H very pretty. I would choose the J bc cut is king for me. But given your social circle it seems like near colorless might lead to more positive interactions with family etc. and you can go with the setting vendor you want.

I actually think my friends and family will find this J white enough :D which I know shouldn't matter. But the sliiiight tint of the J really does not bother me AT ALL! Meanwhile, the L's warmth did bother me and I was trying to convince myself to be okay with it.

The H is on the top and is stone #2.

To me the centre of the H is not as crisp, the faceting gets lost and just looks white.

I think you'll need to play around with it in various lighting conditions. I think the H is white but will lack the fire that we love.

Yup! I agree the J is crisper which is why I do like it a bit more.

Also this might be dumb, but I kind of love that the carat weight numbers are actually my lucky numbers haha (is it a sign?) :lol:

Also this might be dumb, but I kind of love that the carat weight numbers are actually my lucky numbers haha (is it a sign?) :lol:

I know you said your jeweler wouldn't set an outside stone if you go with the J. David Klass is used by a lot of people here for fully custom settings with client-sourced stones: https://www.instagram.com/davidklassjewelry/

I think you have your answer! Most people here would select the J. It sounds like the J has crisp facets similar to the L but without being too tinted.

I can't wait to see what you decide to do!

Oh yes thank you for the rec! I think you and @lulu_ma both recommended OWD, how is setting a stone with them?
I've heard only good things. They have done some gorgeous settings.

Here's some threads:

I think a J is plenty white by modern standards. The only issue is if you're comparing it to D colour lab diamonds. Old cuts tend to have more personality if they have some warmth. For some reason a colorless old cut doesn't feel the same. It doesn't reflect colours as well. I mean that's the beauty of old cuts right?

Hello everyone... the verdict is in.... :halo:

I went with the J! :kiss2: I was able to talk to the jeweler and she made an exception to set this outside stone for me! Yay! Everything is working out and I have officially found *my* stone! She ticks off all my boxes and I am so happy! I knew the lucky numbers were a sign :bigsmile:

Thank you to everyone who helped share input/suggestions/thoughts! Now it's time to design my custom setting!!

Hello everyone... the verdict is in.... :halo:

I went with the J! :kiss2: I was able to talk to the jeweler and she made an exception to set this outside stone for me! Yay! Everything is working out and I have officially found *my* stone! She ticks off all my boxes and I am so happy! I knew the lucky numbers were a sign :bigsmile:

Thank you to everyone who helped share input/suggestions/thoughts! Now it's time to design my custom setting!!

OMG! Congratulations! J twins! :) :) :)

Do you have any settings you have liked the look of so far?

Very exciting! I'm glad you were able to find something that ticks all the boxes. I think J is still a very white diamond, and in my experience L is definitely visibly more tinted than J. Especially in a 3ct diamond!

Can you share the vendors with us? It sounds like you had good service and they certainly found you nice options in a short time frame!

I agree. The higher crown adds a beautiful look to this bottom diamond. I love the shape too. I love the performance of the inner facets too, nice and broad and distinct. I don’t notice a color difference, but if you are color sensitive you might. The lower crown of the top diamond will make it appear whiter. This top diamond doesn’t have the distinct facets that the bottom one does, IMO.

OMG! Congratulations! J twins! :) :) :)

Do you have any settings you have liked the look of so far?

Yay! Maybe our J cousin sisters will cross paths one day :bigsmile:

I have liked some of AB's designs, but would want to tweak it a bit. Need to do more research on settings!

Very exciting! I'm glad you were able to find something that ticks all the boxes. I think J is still a very white diamond, and in my experience L is definitely visibly more tinted than J. Especially in a 3ct diamond!

Can you share the vendors with us? It sounds like you had good service and they certainly found you nice options in a short time frame!

Thank you! She is honestly barely tinted, did not bother me at all. The L definitely showed off more obvious warmth. Yes! This stone is actually from OWD!! Have to thank all of you for the rec, or I would not have found it!

If you like the shape and the color of the H and it’s super duper white (lower crown helps) AND you like the cut, maybe that’s your answer? Eg if both look great to you, maybe pick the one with more of the things that matter to you.

If you like the shape and the color of the H and it’s super duper white (lower crown helps) AND you like the cut, maybe that’s your answer? Eg if both look great to you, maybe pick the one with more of the things that matter to you.

I chose the J!! :kiss2:

Show us some of the settings you have liked and what you might want to be different! Some of the people here have an encyclopedic knowledge of settings and can help you find inspiration.

I would love it if our stones met some day! And since yours will probably be done sooner than mine and because I'm leaving the setting decision up to my partner at this point, I'm going to live vicariously through you!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP