shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion modified brilliant vs Old miner help

My 3.6ct M omc was in a faux bezel before the reset.

IMG_20230331_132114_339.webp

The most unattractive environment I find for these stones are indoors (where walls are yellow/cream/brown with warm lighting) that will show the most tint.

This is after the reset.. indoors with no lighting and no sunlight.

IMG20240815131359.jpg

Last edited:
My 3.6ct M omc was in a faux bezel before the reset.

IMG_20230331_132114_339.webp

The most unattractive environment I find for these stones are indoors (where walls are yellow/cream/brown with warm lighting) that will show the most tint.

This is after the reset.. indoors with no lighting and no sunlight.

IMG20240815131359.jpg

Another super white facing M, so beautiful! I can barely see any warmth at all! Really hoping my L is the same... :cry2:

Another super white facing M, so beautiful! I can barely see any warmth at all! Really hoping my L is the same... :cry2:

It won't be icy white but it'll be plenty white. It just depends on what you prefer. And it'll look great in both yellow and white metals. My rosy gold setting had teeny white gold prongs which really helped make it whiter.

OMG that looks so white how is that an M!!?? Amazing!! You are giving me hope about the L being white enough!

What lighting should I test my stone in? I've noticed it looks very white in outdoor and low light. Want to make sure I see it at its warmest and see it in the what may be more common lighting.

That stone was a bit of a unicorn-it was quite spready (shallow) and had slight fluoro. But an L can be plenty white. It definitely varies stone to stone. The L you are looking at seems to face up very similarly to the J!

My experience is that Ls look mostly white unless you compare it side to side with a colorless or near colourless diamond. But in its own it doesn’t scream “yellow”.

That stone was a bit of a unicorn-it was quite spready (shallow) and had slight fluoro. But an L can be plenty white. It definitely varies stone to stone. The L you are looking at seems to face up very similarly to the J!

My experience is that Ls look mostly white unless you compare it side to side with a colorless or near colourless diamond. But in its own it doesn’t scream “yellow”.

I will be seeing the stone in person next week! I will share my thoughts/pictures/videos once I do! Thank you both again for your help =)2

If anyone has links or photos of other L stones, I would love to see!

I have an L, but set in yellow gold, so may not be helpful.
pendantcvb2.jpg

Wow my mind is blown at how bright and white these L-M stones look! Thanks for sharing, it's beautifulllll!

Some Ls in my collection. All are old cuts.

The larger ones are GIA graded K and K, smaller and GIA graded H and I.

IMG_3053.jpeg

IMG_3042.jpeg

IMG_3054.jpeg

IMG_3036.jpeg

All K-L color. Loose stones have GIA reports.

IMG_3028.jpeg

All estimates K-L color. Side stones on engagement ring has GIA reports saying K and L.

IMG_2157.jpeg

IMG_2157.jpeg

IMG_2122.jpeg

IMG_2020.jpeg

You can see tint from the side. Its another question whether you like it or not. I like it.

IMG_2011.jpeg.

@Ibrakeforpossums @Dreamer_D @MMtwo Thank you for sharing!

I'm starting to think the warmer stones are really beautiful! They have the romantic elegant vibe I want.

I am also considering having it set in unplated white gold or palladium white gold to help make the stone look less yellow? Does anyone have experience with these? Not sure if one is considered far less durable or something!

1726179171602.png

The rings I posted are white gold and platinum. The only thing I would suggest is NOT to set the stone is a yellow gold basket/prongs unless you want to emphasize color.

I did an unplated once, but I can's remember which :D. You could order the stone and put it next to different metals and see how it looks. I have an L emerald cut that looked terrible in white gold. You can use a bit of tinfoil to judge. Low colors are chameleons. Especially if you get a strong fluorescent stone! It changes under UV. Same stone under sunlight. This is not my main ER...kinda a fun rock collection secondary hobby.

20240313_123631 (1).jpg
20240313_122403.jpg

Having an old cut, if I could do-over, I would have found a period appropriate home. I love sleek and modern settings, but that old cut is quite a lady. It does not really fit it's modern halo. I will reset her someday, maybe our 10th.

The rings I posted are white gold and platinum. The only thing I would suggest is NOT to set the stone is a yellow gold basket/prongs unless you want to emphasize color.

Oh! I was under the impression that having a white gold or platinum setting would emphasize the yellow in the stone. Do I have it backwards? Setting it in yellow gold makes the stone look more yellow? :confused::think:

Oh! I was under the impression that having a white gold or platinum setting would emphasize the yellow in the stone. Do I have it backwards? Setting it in yellow gold makes the stone look more yellow? :confused::think:

This completely depends on the stone! I think yellow gold can make it appear more yellow. The round L i had was very bright and looked great in platinum prongs. that emerald cut, dear lord no way! But again, this is a weird stone :D.

@MMtwo @maryjane04 Thank you! I will look into unplated white gold a bit more. I wish I had different colored metal bands on-hand to see how it looks with the stone!

@MMtwo @maryjane04 Thank you! I will look into unplated white gold a bit more. I wish I had different colored metal bands on-hand to see how it looks with the stone!

Would the vendor/jeweller sourcing your diamonds have some handy? Or whoever is setting your diamond can compare with different metals and tell you.

My experience with old cuts which tend to be leaky is they reflect the metal color under and around them. Yellow gold makes them more yellow.

But you should just get what you like and not worry about tint.

I have another ring with an L (had forgotten the color). Bezel is white, shank is yellow. (I guess I didn't need to point that out!)
DJKPV_1220_BTS-1.jpg

Last edited:
Would the vendor/jeweller sourcing your diamonds have some handy? Or whoever is setting your diamond can compare with different metals and tell you.

Yes I will definitely ask. When I mentioned unplated white gold, the jeweler didn't seem to encourage that as an option for some reason...

@Dreamer_D That is interesting, then that would mean rhodium plated white gold would be the better option for me. :think:

Yes I will definitely ask. When I mentioned unplated white gold, the jeweler didn't seem to encourage that as an option for some reason...

@Dreamer_D That is interesting, then that would mean rhodium plated white gold would be the better option for me. :think:

Honestly, wait until you see the diamond. You have concerns about tint. When you see the diamond you either will live it and its color and not care then you can choose any metal you like. Or you won’t like the tint and then no metal color will help that.

Platinum is the more luxurious metal and doesn’t need plating.

Honestly, wait until you see the diamond. You have concerns about tint. When you see the diamond you either will live it and its color and not care then you can choose any metal you like. Or you won’t like the tint and then no metal color will help that.

Yeah, I will wait to see it.

I considered platinum but felt it looks a bit too grey?

Not sure if you are wed to having the jeweler selling you the stone also make the setting, but DK has unplated white gold. Also his normal white gold doesn't need replating, so that wouldn't be an issue.

Not sure if you are wed to having the jeweler selling you the stone also make the setting, but DK has unplated white gold. Also his normal white gold doesn't need replating, so that wouldn't be an issue.

:o Oh wow! Who is DK (sorry, I am new and clueless!) and where can I see some examples of his unplated white gold and normal white gold?

David Klass. He is a someone who a a lot of PS folks use for custom pieces, which I assume you would need to do if you want unplated. He's in LA, so you'd have to ship your stone to him, which some people don't like to do. But there is the thread in Show me the Bling called "show me your David Klass Bling". For some reason I can't get it to link correctly, but if you look for it, you will find. it.
He's got an IG page too. And you could always email and ask them if they have anything showing the different colors of gold that they use. I generally use
platinum for white metal, but I do have this one ring with his 14k white gold (the stone is a GIA K).

IMG_6053 cropped.JPG

DKPV2021___06__11____91497 V2____91497 V2-3 cropped.jpg

Last edited:
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP