shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion modified brilliant vs Old miner help

I had the same thing with the warmth but realized that I would never be willing to pay for a G-H in the size range I wanted, if I could even find one with a nice facet pattern so anything was going to have some tint and it's a matter of priorities. You know this, I'm just reiterating!

I'm planning to buy an ASET just for fun. Would you have time within the return policy to order one too? I'm wondering if that would help give you a sanity check on the cut. Do you have any high-end antique stores near you? Have you seen it in all of the lighting in your life yet?

Some people may say that you don't sound 100% sold because that happened to me! I'm the kind of person who takes some time to really feel committed and excited about a decision. Are you that kind of person or someone who usually knows right away?

Yes you're right, I don't think I'd be willing to pay such a high price for a much whiter one! So this is definitely a good option for me. Color aside, do you all think the faceting pattern on this stone is good enough for me to overlook the sliiight warmth? I am so new to diamonds that I am not sure! I guess I just need reassurance from others that this stone is worth choosing!!!! :''')

What is an ASET? (sorry I'm so clueless haha!) And yes I do have some time to decide... at least a week. Not sure about high-end antique stores. Should I be looking for one to inquire about the stone? :O

And yes I have seen it in direct sunlight, the light in my kitchen, etc. but maybe need to see it in even more lighting!!

Yes you're right, I don't think I'd be willing to pay such a high price for a much whiter one! So this is definitely a good option for me. Color aside, do you all think the faceting pattern on this stone is good enough for me to overlook the sliiight warmth? I am so new to diamonds that I am not sure! I guess I just need reassurance from others that this stone is worth choosing!!!! :''')

What is an ASET? (sorry I'm so clueless haha!) And yes I do have some time to decide... at least a week. Not sure about high-end antique stores. Should I be looking for one to inquire about the stone? :O

And yes I have seen it in direct sunlight, the light in my kitchen, etc. but maybe need to see it in even more lighting!!

An ASET is a tool to help you determine how good the cut is of a diamond, espcially a fancy shape rather than a modern round.

a bunch of ASETs for antique cushions: https://www.goodoldgold.com/the-august-vintage-cushion

1726901828271.png

There's some argument about how useful they are, especially in comparison to someone who has been looking at a lot of diamonds and has honed their abilities. I just think it would be kind of a fun thing for me to see as someone who has definitely not honed my abilities! The idea is that blue is 'obstruction' so where you'll see darkness/contrast, red is bright light coming back to you, green is weaker light coming back to you, and white is light leakage. So you want lots of red, some nicely distributed blue, less green, and basically 0 white.

However with @maryjane04, @Dreamer_D, @lulu_ma, and @lavenderdragonfly23 all saying it's a winner, I think we can safely say it's objectively a winner! Now the question is if it's *your* winner.

Edit: I'm lucky enough to live near a famous antique jewelry store so I got to see several stones in person there, plus the vendor I got mine from had two other stones I could directly compare mine to in the same lighting, including an F color. I'm thinking that having some kind of direct basis for comparison might help you if it's possible.

I think the only real way to know if it's right for you is to look at tonnes of different stones. Are you able to look at a few different stones in person?

With old cuts it's so different to modern cuts. It's really hard to compare whiteness and light return. Remember that these stones were cut in candlelight with no electricity and no technology that we have today. The part that I really love is that there is no other stone exactly like yours because they were all cut by hand.

I mean if you wanted perfection then you could get a newly cut antique style in a higher colour etc but I think that just defeats the purpose of having an old cut.

An ASET is a tool to help you determine how good the cut is of a diamond, espcially a fancy shape rather than a modern round.

a bunch of ASETs for antique cushions: https://www.goodoldgold.com/the-august-vintage-cushion

1726901828271.png

There's some argument about how useful they are, especially in comparison to someone who has been looking at a lot of diamonds and has honed their abilities. I just think it would be kind of a fun thing for me to see as someone who has definitely not honed my abilities! The idea is that blue is 'obstruction' so where you'll see darkness/contrast, red is bright light coming back to you, green is weaker light coming back to you, and white is light leakage. So you want lots of red, some nicely distributed blue, less green, and basically 0 white.

However with @maryjane04, @Dreamer_D, @lulu_ma, and @lavenderdragonfly23 all saying it's a winner, I think we can safely say it's objectively a winner! Now the question is if it's *your* winner.

Edit: I'm lucky enough to live near a famous antique jewelry store so I got to see several stones in person there, plus the vendor I got mine from had two other stones I could directly compare mine to in the same lighting, including an F color. I'm thinking that having some kind of direct basis for comparison might help you if it's possible.

Oh wow I learned something new today! And I may try to look up some antique jewelry stores near me, I am in NorCal if anyone knows of any :)

I think the only real way to know if it's right for you is to look at tonnes of different stones. Are you able to look at a few different stones in person?

With old cuts it's so different to modern cuts. It's really hard to compare whiteness and light return. Remember that these stones were cut in candlelight with no electricity and no technology that we have today. The part that I really love is that there is no other stone exactly like yours because they were all cut by hand.

I mean if you wanted perfection then you could get a newly cut antique style in a higher colour etc but I think that just defeats the purpose of having an old cut.

I have seen a few different old mines in person that were much smaller and I do think the way this one sparkles is my favorite!

You're right though. I love that this stone is a true antique and special :) I will definitely sleep on it and try to look at it in different lighting to see it at its warmest and gauge how I feel! But you all are really convincing me she's a keeper!!

And now @lavenderdragonfly23 has me looking at allll the different setting options - possibilities seem endless! :D

Langs Antiques is in San Francisco and has a lot of nice stuff!

Yes! Go to Lang in SF! And this actually means we could have a play date if you ever make it to SF, you could compare with mine.

:O Thank you I will definitely check it out! So crazy we are near each other!! <3 I would love our paths to cross one day :')

Awww…. Follow your heart… if it leads you elsewhere we will always be here to help you find the one. If it beats differently with this one, then you have your answer. I couldn’t have said it better than MaryJane, old cuts are like snowflakes, they are each special in their own way- some more than others. So let your eyes be your guide and listen to your heart.

I’m glad my zillion screen grabs could help someone lol…. Breathe, enjoy the process, don’t rush. Remember there will always be more old cuts that trickle down the pipe should this one not work out.

Keep us posted! ❤️

No light grey walls don’t make stones look whiter. Those images look like the stone is reflecting environmental colors, that’s what I mean. Have you looked at it in different environments? Outside? Your car? Bedroom? A white room?

You can’t just order these old diamonds in any color. These are extremely rare. L color is actually very white for an antique.

We see these discussions about tint for old cuts all the time on here and when taking about 150 year old true antiques over 3ct I find it all a little silly. Who cares??? It is an objectively gorgeous stone and picking it apart and focusing on its flaws feels rude :lol-2: She is a gorgeous old lady and should be treated with respect darn it! Don’t look at her with a critical eye like you would a modern round.

I agree with @Dreamer_D maybe it's not your walls but your phone case.. what colour is that?

I think that we can't compare old cuts using modern standards. Modern cuts need to be icy white but I think part of the antique charm is having a little warmth. Also nowadays with lab diamonds being so prominent, I think a little tint and inclusion means yours is natural and unique lol at least that's what I keep telling myself.

Last edited:
We see these discussions about tint for old cuts all the time on here and when taking about 150 year old true antiques over 3ct I find it all a little silly. Who cares??? It is an objectively gorgeous stone and picking it apart and focusing on its flaws feels rude :lol-2: She is a gorgeous old lady and should be treated with respect darn it! Don’t look at her with a critical eye like you would a modern round.

I love this on so many levels! Lol! Dream_D our own “facet freedom fighter”❤️ :lol-2:

IMG_2614.jpeg

Also nowadays with lab diamonds being so prominent, I think a little tint and inclusion means yours is natural and unique lol at least that's what I keep telling myself.
I like a tint to show it’s natural. I think caring about tint hinges on caring what other people think to some level — since the notion that tint matters at all is linked to marketing campaigns and the perceived cost/value of gems. Plus some other cultural notions of purity. So switching those thought up — about what others might say/think — seems a good solution to tint angst for me.

I used to care about tint a lot and when I began collecting diamonds I was all over the place trading in diamonds because they weren’t perfect. So I get those concerns. I just don’t think they were helpful or useful to me.

Also I wonder how these cultural values will change in the era or labs. Should be interesting to see! A 5ct D lab costs less than a 3ct natural L. Far less. So what’s the value of tint now?

@peachflower if you are crafty you can make a DIY ASET (since you only have a week viewing period) to assess the light performance.

@lavenderdragonfly23 @Dreamer_D @lulu_ma

THANK YOU ALL! You really are helping me embrace the warmth! You're all right, she is objectively sooo beautiful and not easy to come across! I will look at some stones this week and also try to look at this one in various environments.

Also @maryjane04 my phone case is pink with various drawings of cats :lol-2: so it is very multi-colored. Not sure if that is what was affecting the stone!

Do you all think the size looks okay on my hand? I have been cursed with my dad's chubbier fingers :lol-2:

THANK YOU ALL! You really are helping me embrace the warmth! You're all right, she is objectively sooo beautiful and not easy to come across! I will look at some stones this week and also try to look at this one in various environments.

Also @maryjane04 my phone case is pink with various drawings of cats :lol-2: so it is very multi-colored. Not sure if that is what was affecting the stone!

Do you all think the size looks okay on my hand? I have been cursed with my dad's chubbier fingers :lol-2:

She looks beautiful on your fingers! And your fingers look lovely!

Adding a faux bezel to protect the girdle will add a bit some finger coverage.

She looks beautiful on you! ❤️

YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL GIRL! And you can rock a 3ct!!! And once you have that rock on your finger you’ll be beautiful and SPARKLING! ❤️

And I love the faux bezel idea! It would be a great option to protect the girdle and give you a big more finger coverage if you wanted!

First of all, your fingers are lovely. But also I have big hands and it sure is annoying to see 3 carats look HUGE on other people and "just" proportional on me! Everyone says stones look bigger and better when set, and I feel like the faux-bezel collet-type setting would both suit the stone and add finger coverage, if you like the look.

Here's what Lang has that's kind of similar. Like @Dreamer_D said, the prices can be something else! Also, Trabert Goldsmith in SF has a 2.99 K/SI1 OEC in an Erika Winters setting.

1726946314189.png

Just for fun, here's an even bigger L!
1726946348308.png

And a smaller D:
1726946361569.png

The OEC at Trabert which made me realize I wanted 3 carats!
1726946455295.png

It looks huge and amazing on your beautiful hands.

@lulu_ma @lavenderdragonfly23 @newtojewels @Dreamer_D
Thank you so much!! :love: And thank you for sharing those rings, the prices are :shock:!!

I have been looking at her in all different lighting and am starting to love her more and more ( I am a slow burner!) I will keep you all updated on what I decide!

In the meantime, looking at all the setting options! I do like the look of Andria Barbone's setting styles! I am wondering how I can do a hybrid of antique/slightly modern for the setting! :think:

@lulu_ma @lavenderdragonfly23 @newtojewels @Dreamer_D
Thank you so much!! :love: And thank you for sharing those rings, the prices are :shock:!!

I have been looking at her in all different lighting and am starting to love her more and more ( I am a slow burner!) I will keep you all updated on what I decide!

In the meantime, looking at all the setting options! I do like the look of Andria Barbone's setting styles! I am wondering how I can do a hybrid of antique/slightly modern for the setting! :think:

Look at Erika Winters and CvB Inspired Design.

Have you seen any settings that you think are what you're looking for? I'm not really sure what you feel makes it slightly modern so hard for me to help out. Was hoping you had an example or two.

Have you seen any settings that you think are what you're looking for? I'm not really sure what you feel makes it slightly modern so hard for me to help out. Was hoping you had an example or two.

I’m not sure what I want… I did like the look of these. Not sure they are really antique, but maybe vintage inspired but still simple?
IMG_3620.jpeg
IMG_3621.webp
IMG_3622.png

Gorgeous. Love the claw prongs. Do you have a jeweler in mind? You live near some great people.

I like those but don't forget that you need to protect the girdle, if I'm remembering correctly.

Gorgeous. Love the claw prongs. Do you have a jeweler in mind? You live near some great people.

If you have nearby jeweler recs I would love suggestions!

I like those but don't forget that you need to protect the girdle, if I'm remembering correctly.

Oh yes… then maybe more prongs or a bezel would be necessary :”) I love the simplicity of just 4 prongs though :cry:

If you have nearby jeweler recs I would love suggestions!

Oh yes… then maybe more prongs or a bezel would be necessary :”) I love the simplicity of just 4 prongs though :cry:

I get it, but if I'm remembering correctly, your stone had a thin girdle and you were warned about 4 prongs. I don't have time to go back and look, so perhaps I wrong. But if I'm remembering correctly, then you need more prongs, or a bezel, or maybe a faux bezel, but that could still require more prongs. A lot of the settings in this thread are showing round stones also. I think you need to think about the shape of your stone, the fact that if you do prongs, you need more than 4, and then figure out if you can deal with more prongs, or move towards some kind of bezel?

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP