shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion modified brilliant vs Old miner help

What about a custom-cut lab antique-style stone? It would be made just for you and you could get the size and color you want so that would be pretty unique! Do you think that would do the trick? Not to push labs, the thought of getting one didn't do the trick for me. I'm just wondering if it would feel special enough to you and get you the look you want.

What about a custom-cut lab antique-style stone? It would be made just for you and you could get the size and color you want so that would be pretty unique! Do you think that would do the trick? Not to push labs, the thought of getting one didn't do the trick for me. I'm just wondering if it would feel special enough to you and get you the look you want.

Yeah, it doesn't do the trick for me either. I think it's so special how true antique stones have lived so many lives before me :kiss2:

And okay, I have been looking at the stone and wearing her for the past hour and I can't get over how beautifully she sparkles. I feel like the facets are super crispy and I am starting to feel like if someone else gets it I will be upset... I'm at least 80% wanting to keep her :'''') We'll see if I feel differently tomorrow morning :lol-2: Queen of indecisiveness :mrgreen:

What about a custom-cut lab antique-style stone? It would be made just for you and you could get the size and color you want so that would be pretty unique! Do you think that would do the trick? Not to push labs, the thought of getting one didn't do the trick for me. I'm just wondering if it would feel special enough to you and get you the look you want

Would you feel that this was unique? It could probably be replicated.

Yeah, it doesn't do the trick for me either. I think it's so special how true antique stones have lived so many lives before me :kiss2:

And okay, I have been looking at the stone and wearing her for the past hour and I can't get over how beautifully she sparkles. I feel like the facets are super crispy and I am starting to feel like if someone else gets it I will be upset... I'm at least 80% wanting to keep her :'''') We'll see if I feel differently tomorrow morning :lol-2: Queen of indecisiveness :mrgreen:

Are you able to travel anywhere tomorrow and Wednesday to go look in person?

But my friend pointed out, if I was to put it right next to another friend's E color lab stone... it would definitely look quite yellow o_O I think I need to embrace her for the true antique she is, which I feel like I'm forgetting really is rare!!

i'd probably be pretty snarky about this and say that if I wanted a lab grown E color stone, I'd could go out and buy one in a heartbeat. Probably several for the same price as yours. But that the stone you have takes tons of searching, and is unique, has a history and comes from the earth. Which is why you love it. No one can just run out an buy another one from their neighborhood jeweler.

But, and it's a big but, if you care what others think and don't see the beauty of the antique stone, maybe it's not the stone for you.

And by the way, I have stones from D down to O/P and NO ONE has ever commented on their color.

Colour is such a tricky beast. I’ve unfortunately been burned in the past - with OEC OP studs that had such gorgeous faceting that I had to have them - but then after a while I never wore / felt weird about wearing because a creeping dislike came over me with the colour. It was an expensive mistake to make.

If it’s just your friends commenting, it’s one thing, but if the comments make you feel a certain kind of way it may not be a good idea to buy.

Are you able to travel anywhere tomorrow and Wednesday to go look in person?

Sadly no :(

Colour is such a tricky beast. I’ve unfortunately been burned in the past - with OEC OP studs that had such gorgeous faceting that I had to have them - but then after a while I never wore / felt weird about wearing because a creeping dislike came over me with the colour. It was an expensive mistake to make.

If it’s just your friends commenting, it’s one thing, but if the comments make you feel a certain kind of way it may not be a good idea to buy.

Yeah I guess it's up to me to decide if it bothers me or if I can just embrace her for the warm antique she is!

Also, my bf has now pointed out that the things I'm saying on here do not fullllly align with how I've been acting looking at her. I am realizing I sound super negative here but I really have been spending a good amount of time admiring her all weekend :lol-2: I guess I only brought my woes to this forum! I am leaning towards keeping her at this very moment! But we'll see :)

I'm glad you are starting to warm up to her lol I was going to tell you not to buy it cause I don't want your search to end haha. We're all living vicariously through you. (Please don't listen to this advice and follow your heart).

But in all honesty this omc is way more special than any lab mined diamond. I say buy what you love. If your friends love E colour lab diamonds good on them. If you love antique diamonds then that's great too. There's enough diamonds for everyone :)

Also I like to consider antique jewellery like vintage cars. No one ever says anything snarky about them!

I'm glad you are starting to warm up to her lol I was going to tell you not to buy it cause I don't want your search to end haha. We're all living vicariously through you. (Please don't listen to this advice and follow your heart).

But in all honesty this omc is way more special than any lab mined diamond. I say buy what you love. If your friends love E colour lab diamonds good on them. If you love antique diamonds then that's great too. There's enough diamonds for everyone :)

Also I like to consider antique jewellery like vintage cars. No one ever says anything snarky about them!

LOL my search may continue, my final decision has not been made! I am the queen of indecisiveness remember? :lol-2: I will keep you all updated! But I am feeling hopeful that I will end up with a stone that makes me happy :halo:

@peachflower I wonder if seeing a modern 2.5+ carat I or J color stone would help you decide if you are comfortable about the color.

Sounds like a trip to see an antique stone is not doable. Are there any regular jewelers near by you can visit?

Another thing to think about-how much smaller (carat weight/ face up size) would you be willing to go to get a higher color?

Like would you be happy with the 2.44 I color that @newtojewels considered?

Play around with the tool on https://www.diamdb.com/ so you can get a sense of your size threshold.

Or would you consider a transitional cut?

Just throwing some ideas out there!

Last edited:

Do you have any local stores at all you can go to?

In case this helps you at all, I am uploading ML's videos of the ~1.5 carat F/VVS, my 3.1 J/VS1, and her 4+ carat M. The M has fluoro while the J does not and I think my J is a lower J.

If you want minimal tint and to 'hold up' next to the E lab diamonds you're maybe going to need to go to H since my J definitely has tint. In this 3+ carat size range that's probably well over $35k, assuming you can find one with faceting you like....Would that be worth it to you? What about something like that 2.44 I as a compromise?

It was realizing that I wouldn't want to spend the amount to go up to a G-H that made me feel good about the decision to get the J. Maybe you'll have similar.

Do you have any local stores at all you can go to?

In case this helps you at all, I am uploading ML's videos of the ~1.5 carat F/VVS, my 3.1 J/VS1, and her 4+ carat M. The M has fluoro while the J does not and I think my J is a lower J.

If you want minimal tint and to 'hold up' next to the E lab diamonds you're maybe going to need to go to H since my J definitely has tint. In this 3+ carat size range that's probably well over $35k, assuming you can find one with faceting you like....Would that be worth it to you? What about something like that 2.44 I as a compromise?

It was realizing that I wouldn't want to spend the amount to go up to a G-H that made me feel good about the decision to get the J. Maybe you'll have similar.

@newtojewels the cuts on the F & M can't hold a candle to your J!

@newtojewels the cuts on the F & M can't hold a candle to your J!

Yes, the cut of the J definitely didn't hurt! :kiss2:

I was thinking that finding something less tinted and with a cut and shape I loved as much as that J would either be impossible or too expensive for me or would involve so much hunting or eBay digging and returning that I would feel stressed instead of happy. With the J I knew I had something beautiful with history and in a size I loved and yes it isn't totally colorless but doesn't the beauty matter so much more? To me, it did! Plus I'll get a different diamond in every lighting environment! :kiss2:

Like would you be happy with the 2.44 I color that @newtojewels considered?

Thank you both for sharing! That 2.44ct is super pretty! Sadly, due to my chubby fingers, I am aiming for measurements to be at least ~8.8mmx8.3mm :D Otherwise I just don't like how it looks on my finger lol!

So for my update: I did email the jeweler and ask her to hold this stone while we search for another option with a slight increase to the budget :oops2: We'll see if anything shows up before my time with this stone truly expires :((

Thank you both for sharing! That 2.44ct is super pretty! Sadly, due to my chubby fingers, I am aiming for measurements to be at least ~8.8mmx8.3mm :D Otherwise I just don't like how it looks on my finger lol!

So for my update: I did email the jeweler and ask her to hold this stone while we search for another option with a slight increase to the budget :oops2: We'll see if anything shows up before my time with this stone truly expires :((

I think that's a great plan. When does your time with the stone potentially expire? Will this give you the chance to go see some options at Lang, etc.?

If you did a faux bezel or similar, that could easily add 2-4mm of coverage in both length and width. Just keep that in mind!

Something like this:

or this:

or even this if you want to go really bold:

edit: adding some black rhodium would also increase the contrast and potentially help the stone look whiter? does anyone have thoughts on this?

I think that's a great plan. When does your time with the stone potentially expire? Will this give you the chance to go see some options at Lang, etc.?

If you did a faux bezel or similar, that could easily add 2-4mm of coverage in both length and width. Just keep that in mind!

Something like this:

or this:

edit: adding some black rhodium would also increase the contrast and potentially help the stone look whiter? does anyone have thoughts on this?

The jeweler has not given me a specific date yet! Hoping I have enough time to find another stone or two so I can weigh all my options. I am going to try to visit Lang to see their stones if I can :)

And yes that is a good point about faux bezel adding coverage. I do like the look of the 2nd one you shared!

Something like this:

or this:

The collet styles with a fully enclosed girdle may trap more of the tint. You want the stone to nestle-which is totally doable!

The collet styles with a fully enclosed girdle may trap more of the tint. You want the stone to nestle-which is totally doable!

Good point!

More setting styles, note that several of these don't enclose the girdle:

this one does enclose it and the stone is definitely tinted but :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

Although a setting like this doesn't add quite as much as the collet-style, it still would protect the girdle and add some presence:

Good point!

this one does enclose it and the stone is definitely tinted but :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

Although a setting like this doesn't add quite as much as the collet-style, it still would protect the girdle and add some presence:

Haha-#3 belongs to @maryjane04 !

Good point!

Thank you for the setting inspo! I really need all the inspo I can get because I am still not sure what I want AT ALL!

If only I was set on a stone so I could go all-in on the setting designs! :knockout:

Thank you for the setting inspo! I really need all the inspo I can get because I am still not sure what I want AT ALL!

If only I was set on a stone so I could go all-in on the setting designs! :knockout:

How are you feeling about the stone today?

Lol I feel like we remember rings and not people :lol-2:

Sometimes you need both. Think about elements of a ring that you'd like. It's never too early for that. It took me a while to decide on what I wanted lol.

How are you feeling about the stone today?

I think today, my heart is not set on this stone. The stone is really pretty and I've still admired her a lot! BUT because the jeweler said the stone can be held for a little while longer, I'm definitely wanting to see what else is out there. :halo: If there is nothing out there and my time with this stone is about to expire... I will have to make a game time decision based on how I feel in that moment :eek2:

I think today, my heart is not set on this stone. The stone is really pretty and I've still admired her a lot! BUT because the jeweler said the stone can be held for a little while longer, I'm definitely wanting to see what else is out there. :halo: If there is nothing out there and my time with this stone is about to expire... I will have to make a game time decision based on how I feel in that moment :eek2:

I don't think you mentioned the jeweler you were working with. I messaged 88star who did not find me a stone but was just so professional throughout that I would not hesitate to work with her. I told her about the stone I already had in mind and asked if she could find anything that could compete with it. She reached out to some dealers and got videos of options but said she none of them were worth it in comparison to the one I ended up getting because the faceting wasn't good enough. I think @maryjane04 may have used her for her purchase as well, though I don't think she sourced the stone.

I think I read that JbG is going to be in SF in early November or maybe you could take a weekend trip down there to go see her in LA. Dolly is the LA area too.

I don't think you mentioned the jeweler you were working with. I messaged 88star who did not find me a stone but was just so professional throughout that I would not hesitate to work with her. I told her about the stone I already had in mind and asked if she could find anything that could compete with it. She reached out to some dealers and got videos of options but said she none of them were worth it in comparison to the one I ended up getting because the faceting wasn't good enough. I think @maryjane04 may have used her for her purchase as well, though I don't think she sourced the stone.

I used @88_star and her pricing was the most competitive. It also really helped to have another set of eyes look through it. Especially if you can't see it in person.

You have some good options close to you @peachflower so I would definitely be seeing some more stones to get a feel for what you're looking for.

@newtojewels @maryjane04 This may be a dumb question, but is there a certain etiquette when inquiring about stones? I have been working primarily with one jeweler and I don't know why I feel like I'm being disloyal to her if I ask around to so many other places for stones! :lol-2:

@newtojewels @maryjane04 This may be a dumb question, but is there a certain etiquette when inquiring about stones? I have been working primarily with one jeweler and I don't know why I feel like I'm being disloyal to her if I ask around to so many other places for stones! :lol-2:

Some vendors/small businesses may ask for a small deposit to do searches for you. Other places may have stones in stock that won't require extra sourcing. If they don't have what you want then you're not obligated to buy from them. But in saying that are they a vendor that you want to work with?

I don't know the real etiquette but once I had seen the Maven Lane I made a point to tell the other two that I had a specific stone to beat. I felt like if they didn't want to do that, they could have declined or charged me a deposit to look. It would have felt disingenuous to not mention that I already had something in mind.

I do think this is a big enough purchase that politeness shouldn't be your only priority. You want to love the stone you end up with -- obviously without being a jerk! But I expect that most people will be comparison shopping and vendors are used to that.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP