shape
carat
color
clarity

Help picking a sparkling 2.5ct round solitaire

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would take one of the Whiteflash A Cut Above Diamonds all day over the others - either the 2.52 or the 2.62. If you are truly interested in one of them, call Whiteflash and ask them to reserve it for you.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks. Just given the history with whiteflash etc? How do you think this one compares?

There is no comparison. First of all, they clearly don't have the diamond on hand. There is no image and no complete GIA certificate. You would just be comparing price and that is not nearly enough to compare. Whiteflash is a great company, and they have all of their ACA diamonds in house. They have done comprehensive analysis above and beyond the GIA certificate. You can call them and discuss a diamond, they will provide you with comparison videos, and you will know exactly what you are buying. I have bought several diamonds from them, and the cut quality is truly superb! My best advice is don't throw your money at something that you can't have complete transparency with and assurance that it will perform at optimal levels.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, WF options by far

CB3

Rough_Rock
thanks all. The WF options seem great.

Do you think that the 2.62G will appear any different than the 2.52F?

I was a little worried about getting a VS2 in a stone so big (the 2.6), will the inclusions show or affect the light performance? Obviously that one is a great deal cheaper

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is no comparison. First of all, they clearly don't have the diamond on hand. There is no image and no complete GIA certificate. You would just be comparing price and that is not nearly enough to compare. Whiteflash is a great company, and they have all of their ACA diamonds in house. They have done comprehensive analysis above and beyond the GIA certificate. You can call them and discuss a diamond, they will provide you with comparison videos, and you will know exactly what you are buying. I have bought several diamonds from them, and the cut quality is truly superb! My best advice is don't throw your money at something that you can't have complete transparency with and assurance that it will perform at optimal levels.

All of this. The one you linked has 0 info, so you're buying blind

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The 2.55 is nice, the 3.04 isn't good. But again, you're comparing apples and oranges. The 2.55 looks good, but there's no advanced images to help you know for sure that the cut is ideal.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want tje best possible cut and performing stone, stick with retailers who own and keep their stones in house.

Brian gavin
Whiteflash
Victor canera
Diamonds by Lauren (although they specialize in colored diamonds)
Distinctive Gem

CB3

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I couldn't find anything on Brian Gavin although again I realize I am new at this.

So appreciative and thankful for everyone's help so far!!!

If you want tje best possible cut and performing stone, stick with retailers who own and keep their stones in house.

Brian gavin
Whiteflash
Victor canera
Diamonds by Lauren (although they specialize in colored diamonds)
Distinctive Gem

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks all. The WF options seem great.

Do you think that the 2.62G will appear any different than the 2.52F?

I was a little worried about getting a VS2 in a stone so big (the 2.6), will the inclusions show or affect the light performance? Obviously that one is a great deal cheaper

The inclusions will not affect the light performance - that has been verified by Whiteflash. How clarity sensitive you are depends on you. The 2.52 is a color grade higher and two clarity grades higher. You can always ask Whiteflash to do a side by side video comparison for you to see what you think about the clarity. The 2.62 is a bit larger but nothing that would sway me over the 2.52 - not enough difference.
You can look at many different options online but not find diamonds that compare to the performance of a super ideal cut diamond. Stick with vendors that have the stones in house! You will not regret buying quality. They cost more because they are more and there will be no second guessing whether you should have spent the extra money for a diamond that will perform for a lifetime and beyond.

Last edited:

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The WF 2.62 G gets my enthusiastic vote! I love the small table high crown combo. Clarity is personal but that’s a pretty clean VS2 imo. Did you look at the sparkle/fire video?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 2.62 G is fantastic.

CB3

Rough_Rock
The 2.55 is nice, the 3.04 isn't good. But again, you're comparing apples and oranges. The 2.55 looks good, but there's no advanced images to help you know for sure that the cut is ideal.

Thanks.

Just curious- what is not to like about the 3.04g? Inclusions look to be off the side and symmetry/light characteristics appear very excellent from what I can tell? Thanks in advance for your help!

CB3

Rough_Rock
The WF 2.62 G gets my enthusiastic vote! I love the small table high crown combo. Clarity is personal but that’s a pretty clean VS2 imo. Did you look at the sparkle/fire video?

Thanks- yes I did, although to be honest I can't quite see many of the inclusions/imperfections. Have some reservations about getting a VS2... but like you said this seems to be on the cleaner side. Cut/proportions etc all look good to you? I like this one and the 3.04g (as mentioned above) the most I think

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks.

Just curious- what is not to like about the 3.04g? Inclusions look to be off the side and symmetry/light characteristics appear very excellent from what I can tell? Thanks in advance for your help!

The 3.04 is splintery to my eye. The arrows are narrow (which I personally don't like), and there is "paddling" at tje end of some of the arrows, which also isn't my favorite. Basically tje cut isn't anywhere near as precise as I'd personally prefer

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 3.04 has a crown angle of 35.5. Not the best pairing with a pavilion angle of 40.8. Pretty sure there would be light leakage with that diamond. Light leakage results in dark areas within the diamond. Just because all of the arrows look symmetrical does not mean that the diamond has good symmetry. Compare the 3.04 image to the 2.62 image. See all the black areas between the arrows? No one has recommended the 3.04 for various reasons.

CB3

Rough_Rock
The 3.04 has a crown angle of 35.5. Not the best pairing with a pavilion angle of 40.8. Pretty sure there would be light leakage with that diamond. Light leakage results in dark areas within the diamond. Just because all of the arrows look symmetrical does not mean that the diamond has good symmetry. Compare the 3.04 image to the 2.62 image. See all the black areas between the arrows? No one has recommended the 3.04 for various reasons.

Thank you.

On the the 2.62 from Whiteflash... should i be concerned about the VS2 quality?
Again I am not a collector or anything, just looking for something that will have no visible inclusions on naked eye, and will have the most sparkle/brilliance/most stunning visual appearance possible within my budget.

I didn't know what to think abou the GIA report: "Comments: Additional clouds are not shown. Pinpointsare not shown." Will these be visible or concern for everyday use/wear?

This is for an engagement ring to be worn by her daily. Again, I just want it to have that "wow" factor for anyone looking at it close up or from afar... but not under a microscope necessarily.

I'm planning on setting it with a simple, 4 or 6 prong setting, no halo, pave, or 3rd stone or anything. Just want to get an eye-popping stone and then set it in something simple, basic, and traditional that really showcases the stone.

Do you all still recommend the 2.62 from Whiteflash for the above purpose? I probably should have started with that

I'm also considering this one:

Are there are any other diamonds that I haven't considered that anyone else here thinks I am misssing?

Again, I am so thankful for everyone's help, patience, and guidance here. It is clear that this is a knowledgeable forum with good people that are genuinely trying to help me and I am SO APPRECIATIVE of all of your guidance and experience.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you.

On the the 2.62 from Whiteflash... should i be concerned about the VS2 quality?
Again I am not a collector or anything, just looking for something that will have no visible inclusions on naked eye, and will have the most sparkle/brilliance/most stunning visual appearance possible within my budget.

I didn't know what to think abou the GIA report: "Comments: Additional clouds are not shown. Pinpointsare not shown." Will these be visible or concern for everyday use/wear?

This is for an engagement ring to be worn by her daily. Again, I just want it to have that "wow" factor for anyone looking at it close up or from afar... but not under a microscope necessarily.

I'm planning on setting it with a simple, 4 or 6 prong setting, no halo, pave, or 3rd stone or anything. Just want to get an eye-popping stone and then set it in something simple, basic, and traditional that really showcases the stone.

Do you all still recommend the 2.62 from Whiteflash for the above purpose? I probably should have started with that

I'm also considering this one:

Are there are any other diamonds that I haven't considered that anyone else here thinks I am misssing?

Again, I am so thankful for everyone's help, patience, and guidance here. It is clear that this is a knowledgeable forum with good people that are genuinely trying to help me and I am SO APPRECIATIVE of all of your guidance and experience.

No, I would not be concerned about the VS2 clarity on this diamond. It looks surprisingly clean. May I ask why you are considering that 2.74 diamond from James Allen? What are you using for your criteria? It is not comparable to the 2.62.

CB3

Rough_Rock
No, I would not be concerned about the VS2 clarity on this diamond. It looks surprisingly clean. May I ask why you are considering that 2.74 diamond from James Allen? What are you using for your criteria? It is not comparable to the 2.62.

Thank you again for your help and comments!

Maybe I am just over-thinking this and trying to understand more than I am capable of.

I mainly just wanted to consider options from other vendors and I thought the 2.74 looked good. My (very naive) criteria for cut I thought were below. The James Allen 2.74 was recommended to me by my friend's wife... although clearly not as knowledgeable as you/the others on this website!

depth - 60 - 62%
table - 54- 57%
crown angle - 34- 35 degrees

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The WF ACA 2.62 G blows all the other contenders out of the water!! There is NO comparison here.
You ask for our advice, we unanimously choose the stone amongst your contenders that is superior above the rest, try to explain why it’s superior and now the rest falls to you to decide. Good luck, we truly want you to be happy.

PS, There is no good reason to spent $$$ for IF or VVS2 clarity. The cut on those stones doesn’t come close to the cut of the 2.62 ACA. It translates into real life visual difference.

Last edited:

lavenderdragonfly23

Shiny_Rock
First off, congratulations to you both! You’ve come to a wonderful place with your questions. There are many diamond enthusiasts here that love to not only teach you but help you sift through and find a beautiful diamond. I LOVE Whiteflash’s “A Cut Above” line. It’s their best of the best.

WF 2.6 G/VS2 + Vatche U113 six prong setting (with tab prongs)❤️

That setting is as close as you’ll find to a classic Tiffany 6 prong setting… you mentioned a 4/6 prong setting. A WF ACA diamond + U113 setting is hands down my first choice for a modern round. Such a beautiful timeless combination.

All that said, when it comes to WF ACA diamonds, I personally wouldn’t hesitate for a second jumping to one of their ACA’s with a clarity of SI1. That would give you a bump in size too! They are extremely picky with their diamonds and only choose eye clean SI1’s.

Happy shopping and let us know what you decide on!

CB3

Rough_Rock
Yes! Thank you- I think that pretty much sums it up.

Very appreciate everyone's help and support here.

I think I just need to pull the trigger on that one... before on of you do :)

Any advice for a setting that really maximizes the brilliance of the stone?

Looking for something simple, elegant, and traditional.

I had always liked the 6 prong tiffany settings

Maybe something like this? And no, I'm not going with the James Allen rings just liked this setting!

lavenderdragonfly23

Shiny_Rock
Here’s a link to the Vatche U113 setting… it’s as close as you’ll find to a Tiffany 6 prong. Whiteflash can do a modern pointy claw prong or a tab prong, so if you want a Tiffany six prong look, make sure you request tab prongs.

For bands, they have a ton of options. Vatche makes a matching solid band to match the U113.

CB3

Rough_Rock
Here’s a link to the Vatche U113 setting… it’s as close as you’ll find to a Tiffany 6 prong. Whiteflash can do a modern pointy claw prong or a tab prong, so if you want a Tiffany six prong look, make sure you request tab prongs.

For bands, they have a ton of options. Vatche makes a matching solid band to match the U113.

Awesome, thank you.

I think the below is slightly out of my price range... but based on the group's comments, if I were to "splurge" on something more, I assume this one (below) would be favorable? Not sure I can justify a nearly 30k price difference between the two unless someone here talks me into it!

lavenderdragonfly23

Shiny_Rock
That’s a gorgeous diamond! My vote is still for the 2.6G/VS2 ACA. Whiteflash has an upgrade program… so I would honestly save the 30k for an upgrade down the road, maybe for an anniversary gift! ❤️

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you again for your help and comments!

Maybe I am just over-thinking this and trying to understand more than I am capable of.

I mainly just wanted to consider options from other vendors and I thought the 2.74 looked good. My (very naive) criteria for cut I thought were below. The James Allen 2.74 was recommended to me by my friend's wife... although clearly not as knowledgeable as you/the others on this website!

depth - 60 - 62%
table - 54- 57%
crown angle - 34- 35 degrees

We see this so often. I think everyone would like to troll around and find the elusive needle in a haystack - great specs, great price. Unfortunately, it doesn’t happen that way. Pricescope is a wonderful collection of folks that have so much knowledge and personal experience and are happy to see others learn. You can never learn it all as there are so many nuances to a beautiful diamond. Whiteflash takes the guessing and second guessing out of buying. I so wish they and the internet had been around when I first got engaged so many years ago. Buying blind is just no way to buy anything and fortunately today, you just don’t have to. I wish you all the best and if you are seriously interested in the diamond, call and reserve it. Many lurkers exist around here just looking for a recommendation. When you decide on a diamond and a ring, please come back and share pictures with us!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results