carat
color
clarity

The LIW Small Talk Thread

Date: 2/24/2010 1:05:25 PM
Author: TooPatient

Date: 2/24/2010 12:56:13 PM
Author: hisdiamondgirl
Thanks for the hugs, beer and Lucky Charms.

It''s just gotten to the point where I just feel physically sick when I have to come to or am in the office.
14.gif

Obviously, it''s psychological and I need help lol!

The job market is so bad though, that it''s just freakin scary to leave!
39.gif
39.gif
Is there any way you can look for a different place to work and have it lined up before leaving?

Are there classes or certifications etc. that would be helpful to get into a job you like better?

Knowing that I''m not stuck here forever helps. I''m taking classes and can look forward to getting out of here. Feels less permanent. (I still don''t like it -- but it helps)
From someone who has been there...

Do not think a degree of any kind is a ticket to a job. It''s not.

I thought I had it made when I graduated. Nope. Still in the same crappy job that I knew I "wouldnt be stuck in forever"

Its been almost a year.
20.gif
39.gif

Not to discourage you, but just being realistic.

Date: 2/24/2010 1:01:21 PM
Author: elledizzy5

Date: 2/24/2010 1:00:18 PM
Author: Bia

Date: 2/24/2010 12:57:17 PM
I''m happy too when I''m not in the office or am not thinking about the office or coming to the office.
this
40.gif
Ditto!
39.gif

I ask J to throw me down the stairs so I dont have to come in!
Yup!
39.gif
I was kinda nauseous last night and was actually happy thinking I may have a stomach flu but I''m fine
39.gif
39.gif

It's just gotten to the point where I just feel physically sick when I have to come to or am in the office.
14.gif

Obviously, it's psychological and I need help lol!

The job market is so bad though, that it's just freakin scary to leave!
39.gif
39.gif
Is there any way you can look for a different place to work and have it lined up before leaving?

Are there classes or certifications etc. that would be helpful to get into a job you like better?

Knowing that I'm not stuck here forever helps. I'm taking classes and can look forward to getting out of here. Feels less permanent. (I still don't like it -- but it helps)
I can look for another job and probably get one pretty easily but the way the market is right now, there is a high risk that I could get laid off from said new job pretty easily...last one in, first one out type of thing.

I am lawyer, so no, there are no new classes or certifications for me to take, I'm done with school unless I want to change careers completely (which I wouldn't mind except that I need to work!!
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
)

ETA: But thanks for trying to help!
2.gif
1.gif

Date: 2/24/2010 1:09:34 PM

It''s just gotten to the point where I just feel physically sick when I have to come to or am in the office.
14.gif

39.gif
39.gif

Knowing that I''m not stuck here forever helps. I''m taking classes and can look forward to getting out of here. Feels less permanent. (I still don''t like it -- but it helps)

I thought I had it made when I graduated. Nope. Still in the same crappy job that I knew I ''wouldnt be stuck in forever''

Its been almost a year.
20.gif
39.gif

I know. I just try really hard not to think about that. Or the fact that it''ll be at least 4 years before I have my degree (and another 2+ if I get a master''s)....
39.gif

I don''t think I could pull myself out of bed in the morning if I thought about those.

One foot in front of the other. One quarter or interview or application at a time.

HDG - I''m looking for a personal b*tch. Pays in new Trident Layers gum.

Date: 2/24/2010 1:29:23 PM
Author: winelover23
HDG - I''m looking for a personal b*tch. Pays in new Trident Layers gum.
That job has my name written all over it! When do I start?
9.gif

Date: 2/24/2010 1:22:59 PM

14.gif

39.gif
39.gif

I can look for another job and probably get one pretty easily but the way the market is right now, there is a high risk that I could get laid off from said new job pretty easily...last one in, first one out type of thing.

I am lawyer, so no, there are no new classes or certifications for me to take, I''m done with school unless I want to change careers completely (which I wouldn''t mind except that I need to work!!
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
)

ETA: But thanks for trying to help!
2.gif
1.gif
I''m no lawyer but I have a couple of friends who are. (plus the one who takes care of our stuff). Two of them are independant. They have their own offices and don''t work for a firm. Lots of work, but they seem pretty happy with it (most of the time).

Not sure if this is something you could do, but you might look into it.

ETA: Both of them have their own practice but have another attorney sharing the office space & bills.

Do any of you guys watch 16 and Pregnant on MTV?

Date: 2/24/2010 1:41:14 PM
Yes I love drama reality shows!

I''m out for a couple hours girls. Mini has a dentist apt.
35.gif

Date: 2/24/2010 1:43:56 PM
Author: winelover23

Yes I love drama reality shows!

I''m out for a couple hours girls. Mini has a dentist apt.
35.gif
Good luck Mini!

I just Google mapped the Planned Parenthood in Ann Arbor and street viewed it. I have to go pick up a script for BC in a minute.

There are abortion protesters in the street view picture on Google.
3.gif

I''ve only seen last season. I need more tv watching time!

Date: 2/24/2010 1:46:48 PM
Author: sunnyd

I''ve only seen last season. I need more tv watching time!
Last nights was terrible. The girls BF was awful. You should have heard the crap he said to her while she was in labor.

DH wanted to punch him through the screen.

So I talked to my mom about the whole bridal shower thing.

Her response was that she had never heard of a bridal shower and thought it sounded like gift-grabbing.

*headdesk*

I seriously almost burst into tears. I pretended to be choking on my cereal.

Date: 2/24/2010 1:46:33 PM
I just Google mapped the Planned Parenthood in Ann Arbor and street viewed it. I have to go pick up a script for BC in a minute.

There are abortion protesters in the street view picture on Google.
3.gif
Hahaha. Classic.

My dad once googled their house and my bro''s GF was in the pic getting out of her car.

Date: 2/24/2010 1:56:54 PM
Author: ladypirate

Her response was that she had never heard of a bridal shower and thought it sounded like gift-grabbing.

*headdesk*

7.gif
Wifey I''ll throw you a shower if you want.

Date: 2/24/2010 1:37:36 PM

I''m no lawyer but I have a couple of friends who are. (plus the one who takes care of our stuff). Two of them are independant. They have their own offices and don''t work for a firm. Lots of work, but they seem pretty happy with it (most of the time).

ETA: Both of them have their own practice but have another attorney sharing the office space & bills.
I don''t think it''s as easy as ''opening your own law firm.'' I''m not sure how profitable it would be either - lawyers have to eat too.

She just has to find her nitch
2.gif
(of course, after she makes her first million, she can quit and move to PR with me)

Date: 2/24/2010 2:00:01 PM
Date: 2/24/2010 1:56:54 PM

Author: ladypirate

*headdesk*

7.gif
Wifey I''ll throw you a shower if you want.

LOL--it''s ok. It''s just frustrating because I feel like I live on a different planet or something. Like maybe I''m just crazy and no one actually does these things in real life.

Tell her she needs to start watching some wedding programming and catch up with the times!
31.gif

Date: 2/24/2010 2:07:23 PM
Tell her she needs to start watching some wedding programming and catch up with the times!
31.gif

LOL--no joke. I guess she''s never seen any of those wedding shows.

Date: 2/24/2010 1:09:34 PM

I thought I had it made when I graduated. Nope. Still in the same crappy job that I knew I ''wouldnt be stuck in forever''

Its been almost a year.
20.gif
39.gif

39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

31.gif
Seriously! Send her some magazines where they discuss bridal showers! I have never heard of not having one!!!

Date: 2/24/2010 2:00:34 PM

I don''t think it''s as easy as ''opening your own law firm.'' I''m not sure how profitable it would be either - lawyers have to eat too.

2.gif
(of course, after she makes her first million, she can quit and move to PR with me)
This! Especially the moving to PR part
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

But seriously, FI has his own firm, that''s what he does! It is a crazy amount of work, plus he has to chase people around to get paid most of the time
14.gif
14.gif
38.gif
38.gif
One of us needs a steady job, and for now, that is me
14.gif

I'm no lawyer but I have a couple of friends who are. (plus the one who takes care of our stuff). Two of them are independant. They have their own offices and don't work for a firm. Lots of work, but they seem pretty happy with it (most of the time).

I don't think it's as easy as 'opening your own law firm.' I'm not sure how profitable it would be either - lawyers have to eat too.

2.gif
Certainly not easy. Takes lots of time and work to build contacts, find an office (be able to afford the office), hire any needed staff, furnish the place, advertise (back to those contacts), phone systems, computers, websites, record keeping, client finding...........

One of the attorneys does well enough (has enough time to go on vacation every now and then, makes enough to pay office bills & mortgage) but is by no means getting rich. (more like just paying the bills plus a little extra)

The other has done pretty well for himself. Not wealthy, but comfortable.

The one who takes care of all of our stuff does pretty well too. Better than just making it, but not hugely wealthy. He's got plenty of clients and does a great job so they pass his name on to others.

ETA: Just saw your post HDG.
Gotta have a steady income.
7.gif

Date: 2/24/2010 2:12:49 PM

31.gif
Seriously! Send her some magazines where they discuss bridal showers! I have never heard of not having one!!!
I didn''t want a bridal shower, but relented under a little bit of family pressure. In the end, I agreed to have one as long as it was clear that guests were not allowed to bring gifts, because I didn''t want to ask them to get me stuff on top of engagement and/or wedding presents. We had a lovely tea party!

Date: 2/24/2010 2:16:57 PM

2.gif
Certainly not easy. Takes lots of time and work to build contacts, find an office (be able to afford the office), hire any needed staff, furnish the place, advertise (back to those contacts), phone systems, computers, websites, record keeping, client finding...........

One of the attorneys does well enough (has enough time to go on vacation every now and then, makes enough to pay office bills & mortgage) but is by no means getting rich. (more like just paying the bills plus a little extra)

The one who takes care of all of our stuff does pretty well too. Better than just making it, but not hugely wealthy. He''s got plenty of clients and does a great job so they pass his name on to others.

7.gif
I thought people became lawyers to get rich?
9.gif

I think it''s funny that every career I look into says (as if it''s a disclaimer) ''don''t get into this field if you want to get rich.''

what fields make you rich nowadays ??? That''s what I need to find out.

Date: 2/24/2010 2:29:41 PM
I think it''s funny that every career I look into says (as if it''s a disclaimer) ''don''t get into this field if you want to get rich.''

what fields make you rich nowadays ??? That''s what I need to find out.
Ponzi schemes.

Date: 2/24/2010 2:21:00 PM

Date: 2/24/2010 2:16:57 PM

2.gif

The one who takes care of all of our stuff does pretty well too. Better than just making it, but not hugely wealthy. He''s got plenty of clients and does a great job so they pass his name on to others.

7.gif
9.gif
No sunny, no. That''s DOCTORS. Not the PhD kind, the regular kind.

So even if I get my PhD, I''m still going to be broke a$$.

20.gif

Date: 2/24/2010 2:31:59 PM

Date: 2/24/2010 2:21:00 PM

9.gif
No sunny, no. That''s DOCTORS. Not the PhD kind, the regular kind.

So even if I get my PhD, I''m still going to be broke a$$.

20.gif
Well shi+.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP