shape
carat
color
clarity

The LIW Small Talk Thread

Date: 3/2/2010 10:41:19 AM
Author: elledizzy5
Gah. I''m sorry you got rejected, Sunnyd.
7.gif
You can crawl back on the depressing, cant-find-a-job bandwagon with me and Katy.
20.gif

But yay for wedding proofs!
36.gif
And me!
35.gif

Date: 3/2/2010 10:02:49 AM
Author: Bia
I took a class in college called Human Sexuality. I loved it! Boy, did it ever get controversial!
So did I. The material was interesting but the teacher and her aids were so disorganized that it literally ruined the class. During a midterm, they passed out the answer sheet by mistake! Who does that?!

Another good class - sociology of murder.

But I was a film major so pretty much all my classes were about watching movies.
9.gif

Date: 3/2/2010 10:37:55 AM

Date: 3/2/2010 10:35:35 AM
Author: ladypirate
OH. MY. GOD.

So K was walking to the bathroom this morning and makes a really weird freaked out noise. I asked what was up and he just says ''this is not a toy!'' I was like, ''WTF are you talking about?''

Apparently we have mice--the cats left a present at our bedroom door this morning/last night. K thought it was one of their cat toys. I''m just glad they didn''t bring it up on the bed!

Good kitties.
1.gif
23.gif

I''m glad that even if we did have mice, our cats would *never* be able to catch one.

Gross.
14.gif
I grew up with schnauzers - they were bred for the purpose of hunting down rats and mice. I always had gerbils and I would let the gerbils run around in those plastic balls. The gerbils would run right at the dogs and the dogs would take off in the other direction
20.gif

Though I guess that''s better than my friend''s jack russel - we can''t dog sit for her anymore because she would, without a doubt, get at Otto (even in his cage) and maul him.

Date: 3/2/2010 10:41:09 AM

Date: 3/2/2010 10:39:13 AM
Author: sunnyd

Date: 3/2/2010 8:57:46 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Sweet Lord I just got the best news I could get. We''re actually getting a refund this year and it''s pretty substantial!
Woohoo!! We found out what we''re getting back, and it''s making me see dollar signs in front of my eyes.
31.gif
22.gif
31.gif
22.gif

Wass happ''nin? We got our wedding proofs last night and our photog sent us the first draft of our album!
36.gif
So other than general suckiness and officially getting rejected by dream job, yesterday was pretty good!
which job was that sunny? did they send you ''the letter''? (well, rejection email)
It was the wedding planning one. She emailed me that they went with someone else. Meh, I applied to another place to do the same thing, so fingers crossed!

Date: 3/2/2010 10:47:20 AM
Author: elrohwen

Date: 3/2/2010 10:37:55 AM

Date: 3/2/2010 10:35:35 AM
OH. MY. GOD.

So K was walking to the bathroom this morning and makes a really weird freaked out noise. I asked what was up and he just says ''this is not a toy!'' I was like, ''WTF are you talking about?''

Apparently we have mice--the cats left a present at our bedroom door this morning/last night. K thought it was one of their cat toys. I''m just glad they didn''t bring it up on the bed!

Good kitties.
1.gif
23.gif

I''m glad that even if we did have mice, our cats would *never* be able to catch one.

Gross.
14.gif
I grew up with schnauzers - they were bred for the purpose of hunting down rats and mice. I always had gerbils and I would let the gerbils run around in those plastic balls. The gerbils would run right at the dogs and the dogs would take off in the other direction
20.gif

Though I guess that''s better than my friend''s jack russel - we can''t dog sit for her anymore because she would, without a doubt, get at Otto (even in his cage) and maul him.
Nooooooooooooo!!!!
39.gif

Wifey that''s gross! I didn''t figure my cats for the type, but I guess while we were on our HM, SIL went in to feed our boys and there was a dead mouse in the middle of the floor.
40.gif

Date: 3/2/2010 10:48:01 AM

Sweet Lord I just got the best news I could get. We''re actually getting a refund this year and it''s pretty substantial!

Woohoo!! We found out what we''re getting back, and it''s making me see dollar signs in front of my eyes.
31.gif
22.gif
31.gif
22.gif

Wass happ''nin? We got our wedding proofs last night and our photog sent us the first draft of our album!
36.gif
So other than general suckiness and officially getting rejected by dream job, yesterday was pretty good!
which job was that sunny? did they send you ''the letter''? (well, rejection email)

It was the wedding planning one. She emailed me that they went with someone else. Meh, I applied to another place to do the same thing, so fingers crossed!

Well, Sunny--if you want to get some experience as a Day-of Coordinator, you can always do my wedding!

31.gif
22.gif
31.gif
22.gif

36.gif
At least they had the decency to email you. I keep sending my resume into some stupid abyss of no return emails.
20.gif

My cats are useless. They''re afraid of our bird.

Collectively, my 2 cats have 3 fangs.

No animal could possibly be harmed by my cats. Oh wait - once, Not-Ferris got a fly.
3.gif

Date: 3/2/2010 10:19:23 AM
Date: 3/2/2010 10:14:40 AM

Author: vc10um

Date: 3/2/2010 10:09:58 AM

Date: 3/2/2010 10:01:15 AM

Lilac, that sounds like an AWESOME class! I''m jealous of you getting to take things you WANTED to take...I was an engineer...we didn''t really HAVE that option, lol.
20.gif

In other news, I actually managed to turn down a Krispy Kreme donut this morning. I''m pretty proud of myself.

Ditto! I only took 6 classes that I choose in my whole four years.

Lilac, that sounds really cool! I always wanted to take a class like that.
Aside from Marching Band, I took TWO.

Everything else was either, ''you must take this class'' or ''choose A or B and they suck equally''...if you can even call that a choice, then I think I had about 6, too.

I think I actually had 6 free choices. I ended up taking linguistics, Old English, Welsh, History of English to 1300, Eastern Religions, and Econ. I just took whatever I found the most interesting.

We had some of those choose A or B electives as well. Lame!

As another engineer, I can relate. However, I did get to take bowling my final semester in school. I had so many credits from summer classes and AP credit transfer from high school that my final semester I had to take bowling to be a full time student. I also got to be on the SAE Mini Baja team for credit. Besides those two things I hardly took anything fun. Just boring 100 level stuff to fill gen ed requirements.

Date: 3/2/2010 10:52:36 AM

31.gif
22.gif
31.gif
22.gif

36.gif

At least they had the decency to email you. I keep sending my resume into some stupid abyss of no return emails.
20.gif

Me too, Elle--I think out of the last 10 resumes I''ve sent, I''ve gotten one form response to let me know they received it and 0 personal email responses.

Booooooooooooooo.

Date: 3/2/2010 10:54:01 AM

31.gif
22.gif
31.gif
22.gif

36.gif

20.gif

Me too, Elle--I think out of the last 10 resumes I''ve sent, I''ve gotten one form response to let me know they received it and 0 personal email responses.

Booooooooooooooo.
Its awful. I feel like I wasnt even good enough to be considered.
39.gif

Date: 3/2/2010 10:50:23 AM

Date: 3/2/2010 10:47:20 AM

20.gif

Nooooooooooooo!!!!
39.gif

Wifey that''s gross! I didn''t figure my cats for the type, but I guess while we were on our HM, SIL went in to feed our boys and there was a dead mouse in the middle of the floor.
40.gif
Daisy''s an incredibly sweet dog, but she''s already put a cat in the ICU for a week
40.gif
We dog sat when I had gerbils and I''d put them in the spare bedroom but she''d just sit outside the door staring, waiting for the chance to break in. At least the gerbils could be put up on a table where she couldn''t quite get to them. I definitely don''t trust her with the Otts-man.

Date: 3/2/2010 10:53:54 AM
Author: Clairitek

Lilac, that sounds like an AWESOME class! I''m jealous of you getting to take things you WANTED to take...I was an engineer...we didn''t really HAVE that option, lol.
20.gif

In other news, I actually managed to turn down a Krispy Kreme donut this morning. I''m pretty proud of myself.

Everything else was either, ''you must take this class'' or ''choose A or B and they suck equally''...if you can even call that a choice, then I think I had about 6, too.

I think I actually had 6 free choices. I ended up taking linguistics, Old English, Welsh, History of English to 1300, Eastern Religions, and Econ. I just took whatever I found the most interesting.

As another engineer, I can relate. However, I did get to take bowling my final semester in school. I had so many credits from summer classes and AP credit transfer from high school that my final semester I had to take bowling to be a full time student. I also got to be on the SAE Mini Baja team for credit. Besides those two things I hardly took anything fun. Just boring 100 level stuff to fill gen ed requirements.

I did academic overload all through college so I could take some fun classes. Some of my favorites were criminology; ethics, morality and religion; ice skating; ballet; and the history of jazz.

20.gif

Booooooooooooooo.
How rude!! They should at least tell you if it''s a no!
38.gif

I forgot about PE! We had to have a certain number of PE credits, and you could get them by doing stuff like bowling or even handgun safety. I was on the polo team so I just counted that towards my credits ... I also took a spinning class. But I kind of wish I had had the time to do some really random cool things! DH took scuba diving (had to meet at 8am on weekends - that was rough, even for engineers who are used to first classes being at 9am).

Date: 3/2/2010 10:56:04 AM

20.gif

I did academic overload all through college so I could take some fun classes. Some of my favorites were criminology; ethics, morality and religion; ice skating; ballet; and the history of jazz.
I took soooo many dance classes. I was pretty close to being able to minor in it, but it didn''t work out with my schedule.
8.gif
Then I stress fractured my foot 2 weeks before class ended in my last quarter.
20.gif
Not cool.

Booooooooooooooo.
Ditto. The only people who respond are the people at DH''s company who he personally emailed (even they don''t always respond). I don''t even see the point of applying through sites like Monster - no one ever ever contacts me. I do get a lot of recruiter contacts based on my resume, but all are for the industry I want to leave, and in the midwest no where near I live.

i hate morning.
14.gif

Hi, JCar! How was your late shift?

Date: 3/2/2010 11:03:20 AM
Hi, JCar! How was your late shift?
horribleawfulidonteverwannadoitagain-but i have to later this month.
but i made it to 9 o''clock before i felt like passing out.

this morning, getting up, was rough
14.gif

how is everyone''s day going so far?

Morning laydayz!

Sunny - Sorry about the dream job wifey, something will come up!

Anyone got any snacks? I''m fungry.

Oh! You just reminded me. I did take two history of music classes and the teacher was very entertaining. I especially loved the history of jazz one.

In grad school my favorite non-research area classes have been forensic engineering and green engineering. The forensic engineering class was taught by a professor who also works with attorneys to be an expert witness. Besides hearing about some of his past cases and how he helped the case we also studied classic cases where forensic engineering played a major role. Unfortunately most of them involved air disasters and I made the mistake of reading that text book while flying home. No fun reading about all the ways you can go down in a plane!

The green engineering class really opened my eyes to the impact some of my decisions can make on the environment. It was the only class DH and I took together. We even went back to that classroom when we did our semi-pro engagement pics!

Morning, Jcar!

Date: 3/2/2010 11:06:59 AM

Oh! You just reminded me. I did take two history of music classes and the teacher was very entertaining. I especially loved the history of jazz one.

In grad school my favorite non-research area classes have been forensic engineering and green engineering. The forensic engineering class was taught by a professor who also works with attorneys to be an expert witness. Besides hearing about some of his past cases and how he helped the case we also studied classic cases where forensic engineering played a major role. Unfortunately most of them involved air disasters and I made the mistake of reading that text book while flying home. No fun reading about all the ways you can go down in a plane!

The green engineering class really opened my eyes to the impact some of my decisions can make on the environment. It was the only class DH and I took together. We even went back to that classroom when we did our semi-pro engagement pics!
I forgot about my music theory class! It was so much fun. I've never played an instrument where chords are important, so my knowledge was minimal.

I also took history of rock. Best. Class. EVAR. OMG, so much fun. How could I forget about that class?

eta: And wines!! No, that was the best class evar. Tasting 6-8 different wines every Wednesday. Amazing.

And Sunny I''m sorry about the job. I definitely think you should be a DOC for LP''s wedding and put that on your resume! Got any other friends getting married?

Sorry Sunny
7.gif

But at least we''re all in it together! Well, you, me, and the Laur-asauruses

Date: 3/2/2010 11:09:33 AM

Date: 3/2/2010 11:06:59 AM

I forgot about my music theory class! It was so much fun. I''ve never played an instrument where chords are important, so my knowledge was minimal.

I also took history of rock. Best. Class. EVAR. OMG, so much fun. How could I forget about that class?

eta: And wines!! No, that was the best class evar. Tasting 6-8 different wines every Wednesday. Amazing.
Stop! You''re all making me hate my education!
39.gif

The only fun class I had was Marching Band. And my Greek Mythology class which was one of my TWO electives.

Date: 3/2/2010 11:11:15 AM
And Sunny I''m sorry about the job. I definitely think you should be a DOC for LP''s wedding and put that on your resume! Got any other friends getting married?
Wino!

Date: 3/2/2010 11:14:00 AM
Stop! You''re all making me hate my education!
39.gif

The only fun class I had was Marching Band. And my Greek Mythology class which was one of my TWO electives.
Haha, sorry! I think I had to take 6 electives, and they had to fit into particular catagories (which wasn''t hard to do; the categories were broad), and then I somehow snuck in the two music ones and wines (well, everybody took wines; it was only 2 credits). My electives were awesome. I also really loved Welsh - I wish I could find the textbook! I still own Harri Potter in Welsh, but don''t have the skills to read it anymore
7.gif

I really wanted to take cooking with my BFF, but we were never able to get into the class during the years it would fit into our schedule. That was kind of lame.

Date: 3/2/2010 11:12:39 AM
Author: KatyWI
Sorry Sunny
7.gif

But at least we''re all in it together! Well, you, me, and the Laur-asauruses
Heehee!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP