elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 12:05:14 PM
Author: sunnyd

Date: 3/18/2010 11:52:49 AM
Author: elrohwen

Date: 3/18/2010 11:48:12 AM

Yeah we did it a couple of times, only when we couldn''t find people ourselves.

For good show quality, the breeders make bank! We sold a few for $50 or so, but they can get up in the hundreds! Plus stud fees, based on the general attire and lifestyles of the breeders I know, I think that''s how they make a living! LOL!!
9.gif
Haha, I didn''t think it was possible to make your money back, but maybe it is! Otto was $55. I think he was marginally show quality, but since he''s over 4lbs now he obviously wouldn''t have been on the show table for very long. I know high quality Hollands can get well into the $100s.

But things are expensive in general here - all of the shelters charge $75 for buns. Spaying and neutering is so expensive! I absolutely want a spayed bun from a shelter for my next one because there''s no way I''m paying $450 for a spay.
Definitely!! Of course, they also have like a hundred rabbits to feed and shelter so who knows. You have to know what you''re doing.
3.gif
But no fixing, no shots even, so the money made goes back into food, traveling to shows, etc. I couldn''t do it, it''s very impersonal.
I don''t know how people do it. I clean about 13 cages every week and it takes me an hour! And I think I''m pretty quick at it now. I don''t know how people have like 50 cages to clean. I guess they have wire bottoms, while the cages I clean have newspaper down, but the wire bottoms wouldn''t save that much time if you had to clean out the trays under the cages.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 12:12:38 PM
Author: vc10um

Date: 3/18/2010 12:04:30 PM
I vote for the metal bracelet - either white or yellow. I love it! I think it''s something they could totally wear again, but will also look awesome at the wedding. And I''m not really a fan of mom corsages (though my florist talked me into them) and I love the idea of doing jewelry instead.
Me either. I''m glad Wino posted something about jewelry. Cuz I would MUCH rather get something like that for my mom and A''s mom...though I might get corsages for his grandmothers.
I wish I had thought of this. I really didn''t want the corsages, but the floriest forced me to so the moms wouldn''t feel left out (he had a point). A bracelet would''ve been far better though.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
I am do 30DShred tonight!!! if it''s the last thing I do!!!!!!!!!

I have been sitting on my a$$ for far too long and my a$$ is NOT thanking me.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 12:15:01 PM
Author: Bia

36.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 11:49:46 AM
Author: winelover23
HELP WINO TIME!

So in lieu of corsages for the Mom''s (3 of them) I wanted to get them each a bracelet instead. Something that lasts more than a day. Well I have a big credit at hautelook.com and they have some really cute bracelets right now. Opinions please. The bangles come in silver as well.
I like this one better than the other one.
36.gif

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 12:15:01 PM

You can do it, B!

I''m on a hiatus from the gym until my sister leaves on Sunday. But then back to butt kicking on Monday. Gotta work running back into the schedule...11 weeks til my half!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 12:13:55 PM

Date: 3/18/2010 12:05:14 PM

Date: 3/18/2010 11:52:49 AM

Date: 3/18/2010 11:48:12 AM

Yeah we did it a couple of times, only when we couldn''t find people ourselves.

For good show quality, the breeders make bank! We sold a few for $50 or so, but they can get up in the hundreds! Plus stud fees, based on the general attire and lifestyles of the breeders I know, I think that''s how they make a living! LOL!!
9.gif
Haha, I didn''t think it was possible to make your money back, but maybe it is! Otto was $55. I think he was marginally show quality, but since he''s over 4lbs now he obviously wouldn''t have been on the show table for very long. I know high quality Hollands can get well into the $100s.

But things are expensive in general here - all of the shelters charge $75 for buns. Spaying and neutering is so expensive! I absolutely want a spayed bun from a shelter for my next one because there''s no way I''m paying $450 for a spay.
Definitely!! Of course, they also have like a hundred rabbits to feed and shelter so who knows. You have to know what you''re doing.
3.gif
But no fixing, no shots even, so the money made goes back into food, traveling to shows, etc. I couldn''t do it, it''s very impersonal.
I don''t know how people do it. I clean about 13 cages every week and it takes me an hour! And I think I''m pretty quick at it now. I don''t know how people have like 50 cages to clean. I guess they have wire bottoms, while the cages I clean have newspaper down, but the wire bottoms wouldn''t save that much time if you had to clean out the trays under the cages.
Hahaha tell me about it! When we started with 2 rabbits, we did the newspaper PLUS shavings in the tray. It took forever to clean!! By the end we had nixed both and dumped pee in a bucket and poo in a trashcan outside that my parents used for fertilizer.

Sorry folks, I''m being gross. You love it.
3.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 12:19:20 PM
Hahaha tell me about it! When we started with 2 rabbits, we did the newspaper PLUS shavings in the tray. It took forever to clean!! By the end we had nixed both and dumped pee in a bucket and poo in a trashcan outside that my parents used for fertilizer.

Sorry folks, I''m being gross. You love it.
3.gif
The shelter bunnies all have litter boxes too, so I wipe those out. The worst is one pair who likes to pee in the bare cage as soon as I take the newpaper out. Then they run around in the pee
20.gif

winelover23

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 12:14:57 PM

I vote for the metal bracelet - either white or yellow. I love it! I think it''s something they could totally wear again, but will also look awesome at the wedding. And I''m not really a fan of mom corsages (though my florist talked me into them) and I love the idea of doing jewelry instead.
Me either. I''m glad Wino posted something about jewelry. Cuz I would MUCH rather get something like that for my mom and A''s mom...though I might get corsages for his grandmothers.
I wish I had thought of this. I really didn''t want the corsages, but the floriest forced me to so the moms wouldn''t feel left out (he had a point). A bracelet would''ve been far better though.
I''m way allergic to corsages. I think I''ll give the Mom''s their bracelets at rehearsal dinner. What about the Grandma''s?

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 12:29:02 PM

I''m way allergic to corsages. I think I''ll give the Mom''s their bracelets at rehearsal dinner. What about the Grandma''s?
Gold locket with picture of Mini inside?

winelover23

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 12:34:19 PM

I like this VC, I''ve never met J''s Grandma and since Mini isn''t J''s maybe I''ll do a pic of him? I''m not even sure she''s coming. She''s in Minnesota.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/18/2010 12:38:30 PM

I like this VC, I''ve never met J''s Grandma and since Mini isn''t J''s maybe I''ll do a pic of him? I''m not even sure she''s coming. She''s in Minnesota.
You could also do a picture of you and J together.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 12:38:30 PM

You could also put a note that you will send them a locket-sized picture of the two (or three) of you from the wedding to put in afterward.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
quick question for the smartypants:

when listing your colleagues in a proposal/letter, should names automatically go alphabetically? For instance:

My colleagues, ___ Clark and ___ Smith. (Clark goes before Smith or does it not matter?)

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 1:30:52 PM

when listing your colleagues in a proposal/letter, should names automatically go alphabetically? For instance:

My colleagues, ___ Clark and ___ Smith. (Clark goes before Smith or does it not matter?)
If they''re on the same footing with the project, the ABC order is fine.

If someone has more of a leadership role, and that''s defined (for example, by a "Project Manager" title) then I would list them first, followed by everyone else in ABC order.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 1:39:01 PM

If someone has more of a leadership role, and that''s defined (for example, by a ''Project Manager'' title) then I would list them first, followed by everyone else in ABC order.
that''s what I thought but I didn''t want to be anal. It''s my school group. We''re drafting a proposal and our listing our names.

Thanks brainiac! muah!!!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 11:41:14 AM
Author: elledizzy5
Speaking of sororities. Do you remember that lifetime movie with Jenny Von Oy? She ended up dying by falling off a roof or something, but the sorority she was rushing made her get in her underwear and then they circled the parts of her that were too fat?
Ohh.... Lifetime Movies!!
36.gif

ETA: Found it! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dying_to_Belong
I was very very involved in my sorority in college and I never experienced anything like the movies. However, I know it occurred on my campus. Right after I graduated the campus governing body for the Greek system eliminated one sorority who would do the "circle the fat" thing. They also would encourage lots of social interaction (that inevitably led up to lots of romantic/physical stuff going on) with one of the fraternities. Then, on the chapter''s big sister/little sister night (which is suppose to be a really fun and exciting moment) they would bring the new member class over to the fraternity house and let the brothers verbally abuse the girls, make fun of them for their abilities in bed... all sorts of horrible things. Then they would be like, "SURPRISE! Its your big/little night!!!"
29.gif
29.gif
What bothered me the most about this situation was that my chapter in undergrad got investigated for hazing and breaking other rules. Sure, I got hazed a little but nothing that was scarring or terribly mean. In fact, towards the end I thought it was fun. I''ll never get away with doing such ridiculous things again (like during my hell week I wasn''t allowed to walk on grass, talk to boys, or eat with a fork. I was only allowed to shower between the hours of 3 and 6 am while staying at the house. Stupid but I had fun with it.).

I was at my grad school in my second year when I got a phone call from my national organization asking for help with dealing with the campus chapter of my sorority. Apparently they were being booted for 4 years from campus for hazing. When I was cleaning out the chapter townhouse I found so much damning evidence that indicated they were doing classically stupid/annoying things to their new members. I actually found a LIST of things they were going to make the new members do written out on a piece of paper in their office. Why they would write any of that stuff down is beyond me. Nothing involved physical activities/potential for physical harm, men, or drinking... thankfully, but I''m sure those things messed with the new members'' emotions quite a bit. One of the things was that they were going to do was coat the new members'' hands in honey and then make them separate colored jimmies into their color groups. Sorta demeaning. I can''t remember what else was on that list (I wish I had saved it) but I was sort of glad they were being removed from campus. Sometimes it just takes getting rid of the chapter for a few years and starting fresh with idealistic new women to eliminate toxic behavior like that.

Ok, sorry for the ramble. I get really fired up when people criticize the Greek system when they haven''t been a part of it (don''t worry, I did not take bringing up this movie as criticism... just got me thinking
1.gif
) but I get even more fired up when I hear about stupid ish that chapters to to each other that gives the rest of us good sorority women and fraternity men a bad name.
40.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 11:42:50 AM

Date: 3/18/2010 11:23:46 AM
Author: Clairitek

Date: 3/18/2010 10:58:40 AM

Princess - Everyone is right, he WILL find something! Hang in there! OH and BTW, you''re freaking hot. I''m not coming on to you or anything but I could stare at your pretty green eyes on the nameless site for hours. You should be a model.
Ummmm do I need to be worried about anything here?? ARE YOU HITTING ON MY WIFE!?!?!
29.gif

But I totally agree. Such pretty eyes and classically beautiful bone structure. I would KILL for cheekbones like that!!
30.gif

Ok. I''ll stop now.
41.gif
CTek - I would NEVER hit on your wife. I was merely appreciating her classic beauty. Please forgive me if I have offended you.
Oh suuuuuuuure.

37.gif
You''re forgiven.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock

If someone has more of a leadership role, and that''s defined (for example, by a ''Project Manager'' title) then I would list them first, followed by everyone else in ABC order.

Ooooh wifey, according to your definition, I''m in a leadership role
30.gif

Hudson_Hawk, Project Manager, Product Development

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 11:46:50 AM
Does that mean we need Pink Pic Wednesdays?
20.gif
41.gif

We all have to wear pink and take cheesy myspace style dirty bathroom mirror shots and post them on ST.
3.gif

Extra points for kissy faces and peace signs!
Oh dear God.
32.gif
32.gif
3.gif
37.gif
40.gif
20.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 11:48:19 AM

Speaking of sororities. Do you remember that lifetime movie with Jenny Von Oy? She ended up dying by falling off a roof or something, but the sorority she was rushing made her get in her underwear and then they circled the parts of her that were too fat?

36.gif

Was that based on a book? I read a book about sororities where they did the circling the fat, etc. A young looking writer basically wormed her way into a sorority and then wrote about all of their secrets. Very interesting!
I read that! I think it was called Pledged. I definitely spent a lot of time on the internet trying to figure out what college/sorority that was.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 11:49:46 AM
HELP WINO TIME!

So in lieu of corsages for the Mom''s (3 of them) I wanted to get them each a bracelet instead. Something that lasts more than a day. Well I have a big credit at hautelook.com and they have some really cute bracelets right now. Opinions please. The bangles come in silver as well.
Nice! Go for it!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 2:09:21 PM

36.gif

Was that based on a book? I read a book about sororities where they did the circling the fat, etc. A young looking writer basically wormed her way into a sorority and then wrote about all of their secrets. Very interesting!
I read that! I think it was called Pledged. I definitely spent a lot of time on the internet trying to figure out what college/sorority that was.
I remember reading that - vaguely.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 12:01:27 PM
Um, I''m wearing pink today. Can I do my trashy pics in advance?

Bia - I''m liking yellow gold lately. It''s so weird because I used to hate it. I think it''s my wedding colors that have me liking it more.
Me too! Just now noticed. Perhaps I should take my kissy face/peace sign picture now!??!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock

36.gif

Did you ever figure it out? I was very curious!

My college was fairly big on the Greek system. I think maybe 20-30% of people were Greek, but it just wasn''t for me. I really don''t get along with large groups of girls very well.

I''m lucky that my major ended being like it''s own co-ed fraternity. We all hung around so much that we called it the ChemE Frat. My SIL was the only non-ChemE in our wedding party! So I think I got all of the great things Greek life can bring, but I missed out on the bad stuff

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 2:16:09 PM

36.gif

My college was fairly big on the Greek system. I think maybe 20-30% of people were Greek, but it just wasn''t for me. I really don''t get along with large groups of girls very well.

I''m lucky that my major ended being like it''s own co-ed fraternity. We all hung around so much that we called it the ChemE Frat. My SIL was the only non-ChemE in our wedding party! So I think I got all of the great things Greek life can bring, but I missed out on the bad stuff
That is a HUGE percentage! I had no idea your undergrad had such a large Greek system. Who woulda thunk it??

Perhaps if my discipline of engineering had been more female-heavy I might not have joined. I was in dire need of some female companionship when I joined my sorority my second semester. As you know, mechanical engineering is really male dominated. I''d say about 50% of the women in engineering at my grad school are in chemical engineering. I loved having a balance of male and female friends in my life and both sides benefitted from my dual involvement. We would have a booze cruise once a year and I always sold tickets to my engineering friends and they loved having a chance to meet more women than the handful in our department. Conversely, the girls liked having some guys on the cruise that weren''t already someone''s boyfriend, as pretty much all of the other male guests were. Fun times all around!
Actually, last October one of my sorority girlfriends married one of my engineering friends. I was the MOH.
9.gif

Man I am really into the rambling today. Sorry guys. I''m just totally high on life right now. Sunshine (and accepted job offers and progress in our bathroom renovation) works wonders for my mood.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 2:16:09 PM

36.gif

One of my departments was very tight-knit, and we had a blast together. BF was on the Ultimate team, and they were kind of like a frat, I guess. Lots of traditions, hung out together all the time, usually lived together...hell, they even had initiation week (AWESOME) and a formal at the end to welcome the guys to the team. Initiation week was totally optional, but was generally a good indicator of whether or not somebody was going to be fun on the team. While I was there they:
-made a hopscotch game all the way down campus
-had a hickey contest
-had a rally to reunite Pangea
-had a kissing booth for the biggest player on the team ($1 if you''ve never kissed him, $.25 if you had - he got $1.25 in quarters)
-dressed up as Waldo and sat in on the biggest lecture on campus (6 guys dressed as Waldo in a 74 person class)
-ran across campus (at night) in women''s underwear

And then at the formal they wore Depends and ties and were bartenders, DDs, and doormen.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 2:23:11 PM
That is a HUGE percentage! I had no idea your undergrad had such a large Greek system. Who woulda thunk it??

Perhaps if my discipline of engineering had been more female-heavy I might not have joined. I was in dire need of some female companionship when I joined my sorority my second semester. As you know, mechanical engineering is really male dominated. I''d say about 50% of the women in engineering at my grad school are in chemical engineering. I loved having a balance of male and female friends in my life and both sides benefitted from my dual involvement. We would have a booze cruise once a year and I always sold tickets to my engineering friends and they loved having a chance to meet more women than the handful in our department. Conversely, the girls liked having some guys on the cruise that weren''t already someone''s boyfriend, as pretty much all of the other male guests were. Fun times all around!
Actually, last October one of my sorority girlfriends married one of my engineering friends. I was the MOH.
9.gif

Man I am really into the rambling today. Sorry guys. I''m just totally high on life right now. Sunshine (and accepted job offers and progress in our bathroom renovation) works wonders for my mood.
I just made up that stat from an old memory, but it looks like I was right on: http://collegeprowler.com/cornell-university/greek-life/

Greek life was really popular! Every party I went to freshman and sophomore year was at a frat.

My major was also 50% female which was awesome. We had a great mix of people. My non-ChemE engineering friends would meet the ChemE girls and joke that they were changing their major to the one with all the hot girls
9.gif

I love your booze cruise! That sounds like so much fun

And no problem with rambling. I swear all of my posts today have been been way too long. I must be in a chatty mood.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
P, that sounds like so much fun! Man, I miss college...

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 2:07:42 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk

Ooooh wifey, according to your definition, I''m in a leadership role
30.gif

Hudson_Hawk, Project Manager, Product Development
That''s because you''re amazing!
9.gif
36.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results