shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all the Pregnant PS''ers

NYCBK-I ditto everyone else.

DD-Hope you feel better!

I've had a cold for 2 weeks now and its finally starting to go away. I'm still coughing but not every 10 minutes like before. I had to "kick" Mr. Fiery out of the room because it was a cycle. I got sick beginning of December, then he got sick, and then I got sick again
20.gif
. This time around we've been sleeping in different rooms so that I can feel better without him getting sick.

ETA: NYC I suggest drinking some honey mixed with lemon and hot water (like tea) for a sore throat. I did this and two days later I felt much better.

Nurse called back- she said if they had seen smthg wrong they would have called the attending who would have spoken to me etc. But this is standard that they send for echo esp with twins bc they want very detailed analysis of hearts and they are too small now and when they aren''t cooperating in terms of positioning its more difficult. So I feel better! Thanx again everyone.

Fiery- thanks for tip but I hate honey soooo much lol...i just thinking of it makes me sick...anyone take any other vitamins or remedies for sickness?

Oh no NYC! The worst thing is when someone mentions something that makes you feel sick LOL

I''ll ask my FMIL for you since she''s the queen of home remedies.

Date: 1/13/2009 11:44:27 AM
Author: mela lu

Am I weetarted? I don''t get it?!
7.gif
Do I live there? Does it also rhyme with Foronto?
Hee hee... YES! You have to say Pronto out loud, not read it
2.gif
Also was at "Hicktoria"
3.gif
last week and I blame that trip for getting sick!

NYC My midwife told me that Rhobitussin is okay... she said that any of the remedies that make you sleepy are okay, funnily enough. They are the ones that are antihystemine based. You can also ask your pharmacist, they are very helpful. Remember, though, NO meds except Tylenol are explicitly proven safe for preggos (who is going to volunteer for the controlled experiments needed to prove them safe, right?) and so the meds will always say "Do not take when preggo". But there are certain meds that have never ever been shown to cause any problems, and these are the ones that in some circumstances, you may choose to take. So it is a judgement call on your part IMHO. I personally never take cold meds, they are not proven to actually work to make you better they just manage symptoms and may actually increase the length of time you are symptomatic. Some natural things that actually decrease the length of time you are ill: vitimin C (so drink OJ), take a tsp. of salt and mix it will hot water and then gargle with this (very good for throat issues), get a "netipot" and you can also do nasal rinses that also help decrease illness. And get lots of sleep. That''s it!

Fiery ALthough it makes me sad, I think I need to kick DH out of the bed too, I really need some sleep and he is too disruptive and big for our bed!

Date: 1/13/2009 11:18:09 AM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
Ditto everyone else NYC. They are there to asnwer questions like that!

As for me Yup I am sick! Came down with a cold overnight. Called the midwife and she said she isn't worried at all about the BP (only the first number was elevated and not in the danger zone) and thinks it is related to my illness and both are a sign that I should Shut 'Er Down! LOL! So I am laying low. Still gonna get the BP checked more to make sure its okay, and I still have to do the interview thing, but otherwise I am not doing ANYTHING! I have contacted the people at the university and I am going to ask if it is possible to schedule some of my meetings in the same room so I have less trooping around to do, just to decrease the energy expended, especially having a cold!

DD-Wasn't sure if you know but although Sudafed (not the extended release or anything fancy, just the basic one) is a medicine often given to pregnant women it also raises your blood pressure. When I was sick and we were monitoring my BP my doc mentioned that I shouldn't take it, so just thought I would pass along the info...

ETA: OOps! Just saw that you don't take cold meds anyway. Nevermind!

Fiery- lol it didn''t really make me sick ...I just wanted to emphasize how much I dislike honey ;) but I love when I get tips on home remedies those are the best!..I did buy something to gargle with and some ricola throat drops.

NYC, glad to hear that it''s just an extra precaution that they take with twins and that it doesn''t mean anything is wrong.

DD, hope your bp goes down at your next appointment!

I''m so annoyed with birthing classes right now. I''d decided that I wanted to take Bradley Method classes so I''ve been reading a book on it and looking for teachers. There''s one teacher on the site who''s pretty close so I called and left a message for her on Friday. I still hadn''t heard anything back today so I called again and she tells me she''s no longer teaching classes. Grrr. Could''ve at least called me back and taken your name off of the website! There''s only one other teacher close enough to take classes from and she''s 40 minutes away
8.gif
. I really don''t know that I want to have to drive an hour and 20 minutes round trip once a week for 12 weeks. I figured, ok, Bradley was my first choice, but it doesn''t look like it''s working out so I''ll look into Hypnobabies. One freakin teacher in the entire Pittsburgh area. Again, 40 minutes away and this class is more expensive and not even my first choice. I''m so disappointed. I really want to try to go natural and I doubt I''ll be able to do it without a lot of preparation. Lamaze does not seem like something I want to try at all. I don''t understand why there isn''t anything closer. It''s not like I live so far away from the city, but all of these stupid classes are north of the city and I''m south.

Robbie Have you by chance contacted your hospital? Or any local organic/natural type baby stores in your area? I noticed that they tend to have many more resources/listings for services than websites often. Sorry to hear you haven''t found anything yet.
8.gif

Date: 1/13/2009 1:45:40 PM
Date: 1/13/2009 11:44:27 AM

Author: mela lu

Am I weetarted? I don''t get it?!
7.gif
Do I live there? Does it also rhyme with Foronto?

2.gif
Also was at ''Hicktoria''
3.gif

Dreamer! If you moved to ''Pronto'' then we could be Mommy-buddies!! What fun! Now I''m really rooting for you (although its not your first choice, is it?). Goooo Dreamer!
36.gif

Robbie - you are so forward thinking. I still haven''t bought as much as a book, let alone think about the classes. sheesh. I feel like a deadbeat. lol. Um, I don''t know what to recommend, as I sense your frustration...but I will say that whatever you choose to go with, make sure it''s something that you can adhere to (i.e. those long drives) and that the financial commitment is worth it. Are there Bradley any home videos or books that you can do at home, via correspondence, that would suffice? Best of both worlds....??

Thanks DD- that''s exactly my thoughts..I prefer not to take meds but if its unbearable id like to at least go to sleep...what about tylenol pm? Or tylenol flu/cold...are those ok?
I bought the netti pot and will start tonight and my mom always makes me gargle with some salt and baking soda. Throat isn''t that bad right now so im hoping im really not sick.

Robbie- hmm sorry its so frustrating
7.gif
I don''t know much about classes..I didn''t decide yet if I should take twin classes.

Date: 1/13/2009 2:08:46 PM
Author: nycbkgirl
Thanks DD- that''s exactly my thoughts..I prefer not to take meds but if its unbearable id like to at least go to sleep...what about tylenol pm? Or tylenol flu/cold...are those ok?
I bought the netti pot and will start tonight and my mom always makes me gargle with some salt and baking soda. Throat isn''t that bad right now so im hoping im really not sick.

7.gif
I don''t know much about classes..I didn''t decide yet if I should take twin classes.
I don''t know about those. I have found that pharmacists are really helpful about this stuff, so best to ask them.

Date: 1/13/2009 1:48:14 PM
Author: neatfreak

DD-Wasn''t sure if you know but although Sudafed (not the extended release or anything fancy, just the basic one) is a medicine often given to pregnant women it also raises your blood pressure. When I was sick and we were monitoring my BP my doc mentioned that I shouldn''t take it, so just thought I would pass along the info...

ETA: OOps! Just saw that you don''t take cold meds anyway. Nevermind!
Thanks Neat! I did see that when I was trolling the internet looking for links between illness and higher BP. I think I will be fine without taking anything, just gotta rest up for the next 2 days!

Date: 1/13/2009 2:08:46 PM

7.gif

NYC- Most conventional cold medicines are not ok, so don''t take just anything. On my doc''s lists of ok''s were only BASIC Sudafed (i.e., not extended release, no combo meds, nothing, just the basic basic sudafed), tylenol PM, and basic benadryl. That was it besides tylenol.

But best to ask your own doctor.

FI just sent me the prettiest roses for my birthday and wanted to share!

0113091424.jpg

Thanks...I will def ask doc about it..but tylenol pm sounds about right..if im not feeling well then I take that before bed.

Fiery- is it your bday today? If yes then happy bday !! Flowers are beautiful..looove roses..and that gold ribbon is gorgeous! Yay for our sweet dh''s lol!

Date: 1/13/2009 1:45:40 PM

2.gif
Also was at ''Hicktoria''
3.gif

NYC My midwife told me that Rhobitussin is okay... she said that any of the remedies that make you sleepy are okay, funnily enough. They are the ones that are antihystemine based. You can also ask your pharmacist, they are very helpful. Remember, though, NO meds except Tylenol are explicitly proven safe for preggos (who is going to volunteer for the controlled experiments needed to prove them safe, right?) and so the meds will always say ''Do not take when preggo''. But there are certain meds that have never ever been shown to cause any problems, and these are the ones that in some circumstances, you may choose to take. So it is a judgement call on your part IMHO. I personally never take cold meds, they are not proven to actually work to make you better they just manage symptoms and may actually increase the length of time you are symptomatic. Some natural things that actually decrease the length of time you are ill: vitimin C (so drink OJ), take a tsp. of salt and mix it will hot water and then gargle with this (very good for throat issues), get a ''netipot'' and you can also do nasal rinses that also help decrease illness. And get lots of sleep. That''s it!

Fiery ALthough it makes me sad, I think I need to kick DH out of the bed too, I really need some sleep and he is too disruptive and big for our bed!
35.gif
I''m several people''s new research project apparently since I have opted by choice to both take my meds during pregnancy and to breastfeed on them.

I''ve seen every existing research paper out there so consider myself as informed as I can be - and hope that perhaps what they learn from me can make things easier for others in the future!

Hot ginger tea is good for colds - my personal favourite is hot toddy: shot of cheapy whiskey in a glass with lemon juice, a couple of gloves and two teaspoons of sugar. Fill glass with boiling water and drink. (The alcohol burns off so it''s safe that way).

Date: 1/13/2009 3:18:31 PM
Author: Pandora II

35.gif
I''m several people''s new research project apparently since I have opted by choice to both take my meds during pregnancy and to breastfeed on them.

I''ve seen every existing research paper out there so consider myself as informed as I can be - and hope that perhaps what they learn from me can make things easier for others in the future!
That''s good pandora that your situation is being put to good scientific use! I think in the case of more sever issues requiring meds it makes sense that finding volunteers wouldn''t be that hard ,since many women don''t have much of a choice but t ocontinue taking their medications while preggo,,, but gettign volunteers to take relatively mundane things like cold medications seems like it would be more difficult.

Date: 1/13/2009 4:44:46 PM

35.gif

That''s good pandora that your situation is being put to good scientific use! I think in the case of more sever issues requiring meds it makes sense that finding volunteers wouldn''t be that hard ,since many women don''t have much of a choice but t ocontinue taking their medications while preggo,,, but gettign volunteers to take relatively mundane things like cold medications seems like it would be more difficult.

And the bigger issue is that even if people will volunteer to take cold meds it''s unlikely that IRB''s would approve any randomized studies which is what we''d really need...

35.gif
I'm several people's new research project apparently since I have opted by choice to both take my meds during pregnancy and to breastfeed on them.

I've seen every existing research paper out there so consider myself as informed as I can be - and hope that perhaps what they learn from me can make things easier for others in the future!

That's good pandora that your situation is being put to good scientific use! I think in the case of more sever issues requiring meds it makes sense that finding volunteers wouldn't be that hard ,since many women don't have much of a choice but t ocontinue taking their medications while preggo,,, but gettign volunteers to take relatively mundane things like cold medications seems like it would be more difficult.

Delurking to say-
Many of the most useful trials flat-out woln't get approval from the human ethics boards that supervise trials at most academic institutions. Its not just a matter of getting pregnant women to sign up for them. It's great that Pandora's case is being tracked for its outcome, but not being able to perform randomized trials on pregnant women (for very good reasons!) makes the science of determining drug safety much harder...

Happy gestating, pregnant ladies!

ETA: NF beat me to it! Those boys let you type?

Date: 1/13/2009 5:10:56 PM
Author: cara

35.gif

Delurking to say-

Many of the most useful trials flat-out woln''t get approval from the human ethics boards that supervise trials at most academic institutions. Its not just a matter of getting pregnant women to sign up for them. It''s great that Pandora''s case is being tracked for its outcome, but not being able to perform randomized trials on pregnant women (for very good reasons!) makes the science of determining drug safety much harder...

Happy gestating, pregnant ladies!

ETA: NF beat me to it! Those boys let you type?

With one hand...sometimes!
3.gif

Date: 1/13/2009 2:44:33 PM
Thanks...I will def ask doc about it..but tylenol pm sounds about right..if im not feeling well then I take that before bed.

Fiery- is it your bday today? If yes then happy bday !! Flowers are beautiful..looove roses..and that gold ribbon is gorgeous! Yay for our sweet dh''s lol!
Thank you nycbk for saying Happy Birthday! It is today.
35.gif

Happy birthday, Fiery!

Pandora - Interesting about the grapefruit.... I doubt coworker knew that though.
2.gif
All of the shopping sounds FUN. I love how you call them prams instead of strollers.

Mela - LOL at your "do I live there."

I take back what I said a few days ago about feeling pretty level headed and admit that I''ve recently turned into a moody crazy lady.

Someone pointed out to me today that at least I''m not an elephant - they have an average gestational length of 22 months. Can you imagine being pregnant for 22 months? Yikes.

Happiest birthday wishes Fiery! Your flowers are beautiful.

DD- Sorry you are getting a cold, but glad there seems to be a reason for the high BP. Hope you feel much better by the time of your interview and it goes well.

Thanks for everyone''s well wishes. I feel much better now, it was just a 24 hour thing apparently, thankfully. However, my mild come-n-go nausea has now been replaced by full-blown all day nausea. Fun.
38.gif

So I am feeling a MILLION times better mentally. I had my 10 week appointment today. I wasn''t supposed to get an ultrasound, but told the nurse I was worried and just wanted some confirmation that everyone was still okay. She kind of winked at me, and said- you probably felt some cramping since you had a virus, so we should probably do another ultrasound to be sure. She''s awesome.

So not only is everything fine, saw the heartbeat again, and I am measuring exactly on target- but it was amazing the difference in 4 weeks. The first u/s was a bit overwhelming and couldn''t really tell what anything was, but this definitely looked like a little baby, and man, it is such a little wiggle-worm! Totally flipping around and doing gymnastics. Crazy! Even crazier that it''s moving that much and I can''t feel anything. I feel so relieved, and it actually felt real for the first time. I somehow lost 1/2 lb, which seems impossible given how much crap I have eaten. I am sure that will catch up to me.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FIERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
9.gif

Happy Birthday Fiery!!!!
36.gif
36.gif

China, that''s cool that she worked with you and you got to see your little wiggle worm.
9.gif

As for me, my midwife just came and left. My cervix is still hanging in there so the contractions aren''t really doing anything other than being really annoying. That''s a relief. Baby''s headdown and not at all engaged, which is also good. And my midwife has a deal with a local masseuse that she''ll pay for one preg massage per pregnancy, although she recommended waiting longer until I really need it. Woohooo. (My hips keep feeling like they''re about to pop out of joint which is why we were on the topic.) I''m feeling a lot better - I was in a horrible mood today because my computer wouldn''t boot when I got to work and the computer tech people were like "well, just give it an hour or so and see if that helps" (and I had several pressing deadlines) and then I had to deal with a couple of completely unreasonable people in the afternoon.

Oh, I mentioned that we were still on the fence about taking the BFing class and my m/w recommended against it. There was a recent switch in instructors, but it at least was all the reasons why you should BF for an extended period of time and very little about technique and such. She said that between her, her apprentice, our ped, and the LCs, we''ll have plenty of support for developing good latch and technique and that she''ll be happy to take questions from me whenever I need them, even months and months after birth. Good to know before signing up for it!

Hey guys, sorry if this is TMI, but did anyone else get any bleeding when they had bowel movements?

I''m really freaked out because after over 2 weeks of no spotting whatsoever, I was trying to have a bm this morning, and I was straining, and when I got up there was a good bit of bright red blood in the toilet and on the paper, so now I am definitely freaked out again. It doesn''t seem like it is still flowing, but I feel like there is something wrong with me if I''m bleeding just from having a bm. Plus, the spotting I had weeks ago did seem to coincide a lot with bms. My next dr''s appt. is tomorrow, so I will definitely be talking to them about it and getting checked out (they aren''t even open yet, plus I''m already at school, so I will try to just make it through till tomorrow).

I''m so angry at myself for straining, but at the same time I feel like it is really not a good sign that this is happening since constipation is so common in pregnancy that I''m sure most women strain a bit at some time, and they don''t have this happen. I''ll definitely be using a fiber supplement from now on if I need to, but I''m just so upset now because I really thought I was out of the woods.

Thank you ladies
face23.gif
! FI got me a carvel icecream cake
18.gif
. I had two very big slices and didn't feel guilty at all LOL

Blen-You are allowed to be moody
9.gif
. Glad to hear everything is going well.
China-Glad you are feeling better hun! Wow 10 weeks already. Time flies...
Sabine-You have to strain, especially if that's what you need to get it out. The bleeding is most likely due to the straining (it happened to me before as well, especially between weeks 4 and 8). I wouldn't worry about it until your appointment tomorrow. Do your prenatals also have a stool softner? Or I guess work as a stool softner as well? Mine do and it helps a lot especially since my prenatals also have a higher amount of iron than most (I'm anemic).

Speaking of moodiness...I don't know if any of you watch Biggest Loser. I was watching last night and there is a kid that I believe is 19 and weighs (I cannot believe I wrote "ways" total dumb moment) over 400lbs. They all had to walk up a hill. He was the last one and was far behind everyone else. His team walked back down the hill so that they could accompany him up the hill.

I cried for 15 minutes
20.gif

Sabine It might be a hernia...those are very common in pregnancy as a result of straining/constipation and can cause bleeding. Do you by chance know where the blood was coming from? And was it just a little? I would think if you were having a m/c at this point it would be a lot of blood and have some fairly big clots. So I would think it probably isn''t that...but of course best to get checked. We''ll be thinking about you.

Fiery Belated Happy Birthday! I missed your post yesterday, hope you had a great day and I am SO JEALOUS of your Carvel cake! No Carvel in Wisconsin....

Sabine, are you certain that the bleeding was from your cervix? I''ve been in a similar situation twice and found some significant blood on the TP but was relieved to find that it was from my behind, not my cervix. sorry if that''s TMI. I spoke to my dr about it and she said it''s no problem and that I should up the stool softener amount I''m taking and drink more water. It''s a scary thing when that happens though so I''m sorry you had to go through that!

Fiery, I''m glad you had a nice bday!

Blenheim, it''s great that you''ll have mso much BF support.

China, glad you''re feeling better!

Robbie, that''s a bummer about those classes being so far away. I hope you find something that works for you that''s closer!

hope everyone else is well today!

nothing new here, just the same old back/sciatic nerve pain which is bearable and temporary so I''m not too worked up about it. DH and I went to an all day class at the hospital this weekend about L&D and I was very glad to learn that they seem quite interested in giving everyone the experience they want. they have lots of pain management tools to help those disinterested in medication. They also have squat bars on every bed. I''m feeling like I can have the natural birth I want there if I can stay committed to it through the pain. I''ve been reading the "Birthing from within" book recommended by Jas12 (thanks Jas!) and found the first part to been too touchy feely for me but the second half seems to over some good tools. Now I just need to practice and get DH to help... we''ll see how it goes! Anyone else here planning for no epi but not taking a class like me?

happy Wednesday all,
Mrs

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP