shape
carat
color
clarity

Designing my 20th Anniversary Ring

So ring finger or middle finger only-not pointer? I feel like the pointer finger rings can get banged up more easily-at least that is my personal observation-or maybe I'm just a klutz :lol:

If you're planning on ring or middle finger wear, I say go for prongs with beautiful baskets! Perhaps prongs like these bc you get a bit more girdle protection-but I'd like to see a top view, too.

1729094000127.png

IMG_3304.jpegIMG_3302.jpegIMG_3303.jpegIMG_3308.pngIMG_3305.jpeg

I don’t want claw prongs so I kind of like these little delicate ball prongs.

Attachments

• IMG_3307.png
    IMG_3307.png
    701.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The prongs on my ring are like mini tabs.IMG_8554.jpeg

Yes! Now, yours have been worn down for 100 years so they look so perfectly smooth, but “mini-tab” does seem like the best description! I like them a lot.

EDIT: And UGH those diamonds kill me! The cuts are so perfect.

Last edited:
Yes! Now, yours have been worn down for 100 years so they look so perfectly smooth, but “mini-tab” does seem like the best description! I like them a lot.

EDIT: And UGH those diamonds kill me! The cuts are so perfect.

Thanks so much. I got very lucky!

I get what you want now.

I think you can achieve a uniform diamond “band” look - through the use of bezels, partial bezels shared or tab prongs etc.

I just spammed the thread with more ideas.

I hear you on not wanting fussy sticky uppy prongs.

I have an aversion to anything sharp or pointed that sticks up and gets caught and visually looks prongy. Lots of little prongs visually interrupt sleek lines you are looking for.

If you like the clean look of bezels maybe consider something like the last ring I posted (without the beady prongs) or those you’ve identified with a beautiful basket detail underneath bezels. Bezels can be done to make the stones all look uniform.

Last edited:
IMG_3304.jpegIMG_3302.jpegIMG_3303.jpegIMG_3308.pngIMG_3305.jpeg

I don’t want claw prongs so I kind of like these little delicate ball prongs.

The Andria Barbone ring is so wonderful! Perfect low setting, flattened prongs, beautiful basket detailing.

I’m curious if you will be doing two tone metal (gold base white basket).

@LightBright Those are all excellent inspirations and many I had not seen!
The Andria Barbone ring is so wonderful!

it is. I think it’s a true antique not one of their reproductions.

Faux bezels could also handle the wonk. This is a very interesting gallery design combined with some type of faux bezel or bezel around just the outside of the stones...

1729107026231.png

Yes I agree, some sort of bezel work CAN handle the wonk. :)

The Andria Barbone ring is so wonderful! Perfect low setting, flattened prongs, beautiful basket detailing.

Here is the Barbone. It is a true antique as I thought. Which is good bc I won't feel qualms about recreating.

I’m curious if you will be doing two tone metal (gold base white basket).

It would be my preference to have a gold shank and possibly even a gold bridge but platinum baskets. That wouldn't be authentic to the era for these types of fleur-de-lis designs though. They are from the Edwardian/Deco eras and usually would be all platinum. They are also a much later era than my stones were likely cut, them being OMC/OEC hybrids. I'm not sure I care about all that though lol

But I would only wear it as a RHR when I was dressed up for work or an evening out.

Okay, well if this is the case, then I wouldn't worry so much about the protection issue. I assumed (wrongfully) that this would be an everyday ring. But if not, and if you baby your rings, then I say just go with the look you want. Also, I think that if not an every day ring, it may not need to be as low set and you can play with the gallery a bit more (while still not making it "high").

Okay, well if this is the case, then I wouldn't worry so much about the protection issue. I assumed (wrongfully) that this would be an everyday ring. But if not, and if you baby your rings, then I say just go with the look you want. Also, I think that if not an every day ring, it may not need to be as low set and you can play with the gallery a bit more (while still not making it "high").

I think part of what is holding me up right now is that I am pulled in two directions about this ring. On one hand I fantasize about a daily wear ring that will be low and practical. And on the other an ornate setting that is less practical but really stands out aesthetically to me and is what I have always desired.

I’m not sure five half carat diamonds are even suited to a practical daily wear lol At least not for me. Like, bezel set 5mm stones will have a 7mm diameter which is very large for this style of band.

And if I leave the fantasy and think practically about how I wear my rings now, I suspect this won’t be a daily wear, as I said. I had envisioned that my star sapphire ring would be a daily wear RHR but in actuality I wear her about twice a week, for example.

I don’t wear my diamonds around the house or doing chores. I wear my ering every day when I leave the house and take it off when I come home, but don’t wear it if I’m going to do anything physical like a hike or going to the beach. I imagine this ring will sometimes take the place of ering to be worn the same way. And when I have special meetings at work a few days a week or going out at night I will wear this ring and my five stone together. But yeah, I think in general my lifestyle is probably too casual to wear all my larger diamonds at the same time every day, even if I found it comfortable to wear so many larger gems (I don’t). Academics don’t tend to wear any jewels at all! I am already unusual in that regard, even among the upper admin people (Deans etc) who I work with more often now and in the future, as I transition to more senior leadership roles.

It’s good to talk it out. I’ve been vacillating about this for months!

on the other an ornate setting that is less practical but really stands out aesthetically to me and is what I have always desired.

Well, my answer is to go with what you have always desired. Otherwise, the itch might not be scratched. And wear it when you feel like it, and the rest of the time, just think about having the ring that you have always desired!

Well, my answer is to go with what you have always desired. Otherwise, the itch might not be scratched. And wear it when you feel like it, and the rest of the time, just think about having the ring that you have always desired!

Exactly! And I keep reminding myself that I will have other rings. I will make a bezel band for casual wear with smaller gems in the future.

I definitely want platinum or white metal prongs, as I prefer the way diamonds in this color range look with white metal and how the prongs disappear against diamonds. And I prefer a yellow gold shank because I want to wear this ring with a gold wb sometimes. But if the aesthetic will not fit with two tone I will make that sacrifice…. Though my preference is two tone even if it isn’t period appropriate!

I think the two-tone will look amazing. I’m impartial to two-tone, either way I love the direction you’re going.
From the 2 pieces of jewelry I’ve seen of yours, the engagement ring and your star sapphire there is no doubt this is going to be just as stunning.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP