shape
carat
color
clarity

Need quick thoughts on 3.1 carat Old Mine

@Eli22 thank you for the thoughts on this! We were already trying to imagine how this will feel in a few years with the different potential outcomes so your comment really resonated with me. What if there's a tech crash and our incomes fall through the floor in 6 months? What if my career grows from this first job so the price difference feels completely irrelevant and I wish I had just gotten what I wanted from the beginning? Maybe we should be looking at even higher budgets! :lol: :evil2:

Haha you can always up your budget, but if you are happy with the lovely stone you’ve already found, why spend more? There will always be other pieces to acquire later on as your spending power increases.

I think my husband spent around $20k on my ER years ago (I was not really “into” jewelry then, we did not discuss the ring or a budget at all, he just surprised me) and now he’s spent many multiples of that amount on pieces for me in the past few yrs. Time is the big equalizer when it comes to finances, and you still have a lot of it in the whole scheme of things. You can weather the ups and downs in the economy (we got through the early 2000s, 2008, 2020…). When I was in grad school over 20 years ago, I think I was earning around $10-15k for my assistantship? So getting my first “real job” was quite the bump up, and as you said, it’s likely to go up from there.

I’ve honestly have never regretted stretching a bit/taking calculated risks to get what I truly want, but I have regretted settling for “good enough.” I usually end up obsessing over and acquiring what I wanted in the first place. The same goes for food substitutions- I’ve learned I should just eat some of what I’m craving because I’ll end up eating the “healthier alternative(s)” PLUS the craved item :lol:

I’m sure whatever decision you make will result in a lovely ring (and union) that you will cherish for a very long time :kiss2:

Id be surprised if this stone is from the 1700 given the symmetry. Maybe the very late Georgian period, which would be 1830s... Diamonds were still pretty wonky in the 1700s. Splitting hairs I know, about a very very old diamond! I love the history of old cuts. Its very romantic.

I’ve seen two rings in my lifetime that took the wind out of me, made my heart speed up and left me feeling faint. As someone who has searched endlessly for “the one,” and who has spent too much time trying to talk myself into loving something, I now harken back to the rare feeling that completely took over me on those two occasions. With so many gorgeous options out there, and at this price point, I think it’s worth waiting to find something that you cannot live without. I can’t tell you how to feel about these two stones, but I’m not sure I hear the pitter patter of a besotted heart for either option.

Another point to consider - I believe ML only offers the three day return window for her own items, but a consignment piece like this one would be final sale. Perhaps she is offering more flexibility with you, but it’s worth confirming before taking the plunge on a huge purchase. I lost out on one of the two dream rings mentioned above because the vendor did not have a return policy. I know at this stage that I MUST see something in my own home and environment before committing.

Good luck, and can’t wait to see where you land, either now or in the future!

She actually brought that in after I asked her for options! If I don't love the ML one after seeing it in person again, I'll think about that next. The video is actually next to the oval-ish one I posted before. But there's just something about the ML one to me.....is there something you like better about this one?

@lulu_ma @lavenderdragonfly23 @LightBright

She actually brought that in after I asked her for options! If I don't love the ML one after seeing it in person again, I'll think about that next. The video is actually next to the oval-ish one I posted before. But there's just something about the ML one to me.....is there something you like better about this one?

Oh… I’m still team ML all the way… I just love it when old cuts have those adorable little white polkadots :lol:

So that new one that Dolly posted I do love. But not for a solitaire. I reset my omc into a cluster and it looks so much better than when it was a solitaire. The ML one will be better as a solitaire as the faceting is more organised and crisp.

So that new one that Dolly posted I do love. But not for a solitaire. I reset my omc into a cluster and it looks so much better than when it was a solitaire. The ML one will be better as a solitaire as the faceting is more organised and crisp.

I think you're picking up on what I couldn't articulate!

I like the size and price of the 3.7 ct :razz: Also, I suspect that it has some fluoro so the face-up is looks very white. The clarity gives me pause, though. I might rule it out after seeing the inclusion chart. I agree with Mary Jane, the cut of the ML looks neater.

I'd love to know the depth of the 3.7 ct!

I like the size and price of the 3.7 ct :razz: Also, I suspect that it has some fluoro so the face-up is looks very white. The clarity gives me pause, though. I might rule it out after seeing the inclusion chart. I agree with Mary Jane, the cut of the ML looks neater.

I'd love to know the depth of the 3.7 ct!

Here's the report! Very similar face-up to the ML which is 9.38 x 8.47mm

1726186411795.png

Here's the report! Very similar face-up to the ML which is 9.38 x 8.47mm

1726186411795.png

Okay then the stone below the 3.7 ct is definitely not the 2.9 ct…

The inclusion placement is unfortunate :p

Nix.

Okay then the stone below the 3.7 ct is definitely not the 2.9 ct…

The inclusion placement is unfortunate :p

Nix.

it is! the 2.9 is shallow! Yet another lesson in how we really need to buy by dimensions and not weight with fancies.

1726190388147.png

Is the top stone really only .5 mm wider than the one on the bottom?

I’ve watched the vid over and over and it just doesn’t seem possible :geek2:

IMG_7363.jpeg

I would not like an SI2 with a cluster of inclusions under the table.

How do you like to look at your gems? I like to look deep into them and enjoy the faceting and I like taking macro pictures. So crisp clear patterning is the most important thing for me. Some others like prefer other things, like watching sparkle or just a huge look in the finger. Thinking about this might help solidify your preferences.

I am new and have been lurking (or as I like to tell myself, learning, from ya’ll ;)2 ), but please do update if you bought the ML ring as it shows out of stock on the website now! Fingers crossed it was YOU!

IT WAS US!

We went to see it again and I just couldn't stop staring. My partner said he was totally set after seeing it and how I looked at it. It still needs to be unset from the current (not original) setting and then will be reset in his choice of the Erika Winters Willa and Grace Cathedral so I won't actually wear it for a while. I'll still contribute here of course and will post a thread when it's all done!

Only snapped these two photos today, but here you go!

1000019144.jpg

1000019143.jpg

Thank you everyone for the advice! Trying to tag who I remember while we're driving:

@Dreamer_D @lulu_ma @maryjane04 @lavenderdragonfly23 @peppermintpatty @Grymera
@newdiamondworld @purplesilk @Eli22

Last edited:
YEEESSSSSS!!!! So excited for you guys!!!!! And it’s going right into an EW setting!!! Omg omg omg… this is like a fairytale come true! I can’t wait to see a million pics and videos! ❤️

Thank goodness it was you! :love: Looks gorgeous and thank you for sharing your journey so we can be along for the ride!

Awww. So happy for you! This is such a beautiful diamond!

Omg I'm so happy for you. The other stones were nice but nothing compares to this stone!! I'm so excited for you and please come back and share tonnes of photos whenever you get engaged hehe.

Did you get to look at it in different lighting? When you see it and love it then it's definitely the one! We want every detail hahaha.

Last edited:
I love how you are getting engaged because you found the right diamond :lol-2: I mean, that makes perfect sense to ME….

I’m so happy you found this treasure and fell in love. And your smart partner knew exactly how to respond and jumped on board!

Can’t wait to see it set.

YEEESSSSSS!!!! So excited for you guys!!!!! And it’s going right into an EW setting!!! Omg omg omg… this is like a fairytale come true! I can’t wait to see a million pics and videos! ❤️

I'll need to learn how to take better photos! The ones I've taken really don't do it justice.

Thank goodness it was you! :love: Looks gorgeous and thank you for sharing your journey so we can be along for the ride!

Thank you!

Awww. So happy for you! This is such a beautiful diamond!

Thank you!

Omg I'm so happy for you. The other stones were nice but nothing compares to this stone!! I'm so excited for you and please come back and share tonnes of photos whenever you get engaged hehe.

Did you get to look at it in different lighting? When you see it and love it then it's definitely the one! We want every detail hahaha.

I did! Sunlight, inside a café, shade, dappled sunlight... Plus the original dark/warm store. And with comparison to other stones in the F to M range. I don't think this is a white J, it's probably a borderline K, but whatever! It's beautiful to me and I was open to K.

I love how you are getting engaged because you found the right diamond :lol-2: I mean, that makes perfect sense to ME….

I’m so happy you found this treasure and fell in love. And your smart partner knew exactly how to respond and jumped on board!

Can’t wait to see it set.

Thank you for all of your help! I feel like you get lots of the credit and the blame :lol: I don't think I'll have it to wear for a few months but I'll definitely post it when the time comes!

I've been following this thread and EXCITED that you bought the diamond! Woohoo! Like everyone else, pls post pictures when you receive the ring : )

Congrats on the upcoming engagement!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP