shape
carat
color
clarity

Need quick thoughts on 3.1 carat Old Mine

My experience making a claim with JM is they don’t micromanage the replacement stone. You would just be limited to buying a stone with similar carat, clarity, and color within the replacement value. Deciding if the cut quality etc fit what you had before will be up to you, as you will select the replacement and ultimately decide if you are satisfied the replacement is acceptable to you. You can also choose the jeweler you work with, including buying the stone in your own dime and being reimbrused after, in the event you want to buy from a vendor who doesn’t accept payment direct from insurance (this is what I did). So the things that matter most are the lab report and the appraised value. You don’t really need the other features of a detailed appraisal. Having your own macro pictures is helpful too, and receipts, in case it’s not a complete replacement and just a replacement of part of the ring.

EDIT: the tricky out would come if you cannot locate an identical replacement but they you would work with your claims person and a jeweler to determine the value of a like kind replacement and you could use that to buy something else. It’s a bit more involved than that, but again in my experience replacing a rare coloured gem with JM, the specifics and nuances of the gem didn’t matter much.

Thank you for sharing your experience! Hopefully we never ever need to use this and I just pay JM the premiums forever.

I know that Maven Lane's appraisal will have detailed photos and I just purchased a loupe (finally!), a macro lens for my phone, and an ASET scope lol. There will definitely be lots of photos!

WOW, this was a WHIRLWIND of a roller coaster to read! I am rarely on Pricescope but needed reprieve from life being in the pits today, and am I glad to come across this, @newtojewels ! It felt like I was actually reading the Pride and Prejudice (or any other drama with suspense and hope!), waiting to see the outcome of this beautiful stone as well as your journey to finding The One.

And moreso, how much I feel like this is a cousin to my own ring! When I saw this ring on IG, I literally had to do a double take. The ratios of the ring size : diamond size, paired with the length : width ratio are almost identical to my own ring. The pattern is also similar as well as the outline shape. Obv size, color, clarity are different but it definitely made me double take! Wear her in health!!!

Also, as a fellow San Franciscan, f the concerns about owning a home or living without housemates before dropping $. When I was new to PS in my mid-20s, I remember how many PS elders that would shame me for how I spent my money on jewelry given my age, my grad student status (without income), etc. Um, I'm sorry, but if I lived in LCOL areas, I, too, would have a giant house with a paid off mortgage, but since I don't, let me live my Gollum dreams out with my sparklies under a bridge. "Money can always be made" (yes, I know it's a lot more complex than that) and also, opportunities for rare antiques are also once in a lifetime. Ask me about the 7 carat antique step cut I missed out on about 5 years ago, and how my heart still regrets not just going for it because it seemed like a too-expensive-largest-purchase-ever, and how my husband then also regretted it when we finally decided to upgrade and realized we couldn't buy an equivalent to that anymore! All the meanwhile, housing costs have stayed relatively the same (in fact, rent has DECREASED significantly!) in comparison to interest rates. NO ONE can predict tomorrow, and as long as you have financial stability, use your funds as you see fit. We can't take our money with us when we die!

I feel like people who give financial advice willy nilly without actual knowledge of the full background, including regional differences and cultural differences (especially for us BIPOC immigrants who oftentimes use jewelry as a means to "escape" political emergencies) are.. well. Willy nilly. And maybe some other words.

You wear that giant AF rock with your housemates and your home in a fantastic city with amazing access to all the amazing climate pockets and nature scenes and restaurants and ROCK IT.

As far as local appraisals are concerned, you can search my username for the thread I started on antique appraisal options, especially local to us. For local resizing or whatever needs beyond appraisals, Gordon Aatlo in San Carlos has a bench person on-site (I hate sending it to "sales-only jewelers that have to then charge a middleperson fee and the lengthier wait times and the risk of loss/stolen property) as well as Joe Escobar in Campbell. I don't know where in SF Bay Area you are, but I am far AF from Joe Escobar and will still drive out to them if needed.

I also wish I saw this post earlier. I literally have an extra ASET scope, multiple loupes, and clip on macro lens for phones that I'm always happy to lend out to local folks. I enjoy photography of my stones the best when lighting comes indirectly from behind my hand. Funnily enough, the best pics I've snagged are of me walking on more grimey sidewalks whenever I happen to catch a sunnier day in the city so there are always trash or chewed up bubble gum stains on the floor. Haven't caught one with feces yet, but I'm sure one day I'll have a ring-selfie in front of poop hahaha.

Please pay more taxes in photos and videos!!! I think a 6 page thread deserves at least.... 60.... photos/videos.... ;)

WOW, this was a WHIRLWIND of a roller coaster to read! I am rarely on Pricescope but needed reprieve from life being in the pits today, and am I glad to come across this, @newtojewels ! It felt like I was actually reading the Pride and Prejudice (or any other drama with suspense and hope!), waiting to see the outcome of this beautiful stone as well as your journey to finding The One.

And moreso, how much I feel like this is a cousin to my own ring! When I saw this ring on IG, I literally had to do a double take. The ratios of the ring size : diamond size, paired with the length : width ratio are almost identical to my own ring. The pattern is also similar as well as the outline shape. Obv size, color, clarity are different but it definitely made me double take! Wear her in health!!!

Also, as a fellow San Franciscan, f the concerns about owning a home or living without housemates before dropping $. When I was new to PS in my mid-20s, I remember how many PS elders that would shame me for how I spent my money on jewelry given my age, my grad student status (without income), etc. Um, I'm sorry, but if I lived in LCOL areas, I, too, would have a giant house with a paid off mortgage, but since I don't, let me live my Gollum dreams out with my sparklies under a bridge. "Money can always be made" (yes, I know it's a lot more complex than that) and also, opportunities for rare antiques are also once in a lifetime. Ask me about the 7 carat antique step cut I missed out on about 5 years ago, and how my heart still regrets not just going for it because it seemed like a too-expensive-largest-purchase-ever, and how my husband then also regretted it when we finally decided to upgrade and realized we couldn't buy an equivalent to that anymore! All the meanwhile, housing costs have stayed relatively the same (in fact, rent has DECREASED significantly!) in comparison to interest rates. NO ONE can predict tomorrow, and as long as you have financial stability, use your funds as you see fit. We can't take our money with us when we die!

I feel like people who give financial advice willy nilly without actual knowledge of the full background, including regional differences and cultural differences (especially for us BIPOC immigrants who oftentimes use jewelry as a means to "escape" political emergencies) are.. well. Willy nilly. And maybe some other words.

You wear that giant AF rock with your housemates and your home in a fantastic city with amazing access to all the amazing climate pockets and nature scenes and restaurants and ROCK IT.

As far as local appraisals are concerned, you can search my username for the thread I started on antique appraisal options, especially local to us. For local resizing or whatever needs beyond appraisals, Gordon Aatlo in San Carlos has a bench person on-site (I hate sending it to "sales-only jewelers that have to then charge a middleperson fee and the lengthier wait times and the risk of loss/stolen property) as well as Joe Escobar in Campbell. I don't know where in SF Bay Area you are, but I am far AF from Joe Escobar and will still drive out to them if needed.

I also wish I saw this post earlier. I literally have an extra ASET scope, multiple loupes, and clip on macro lens for phones that I'm always happy to lend out to local folks. I enjoy photography of my stones the best when lighting comes indirectly from behind my hand. Funnily enough, the best pics I've snagged are of me walking on more grimey sidewalks whenever I happen to catch a sunnier day in the city so there are always trash or chewed up bubble gum stains on the floor. Haven't caught one with feces yet, but I'm sure one day I'll have a ring-selfie in front of poop hahaha.

Please pay more taxes in photos and videos!!! I think a 6 page thread deserves at least.... 60.... photos/videos.... ;)

Thank you so much for this wonderful comment!

I looked through your posts, did you end up using Barbara Voltaire for an appraisal? I saw that @JPie recommended her. I just looked on a map and can also get to both Aatlo and Escobar though neither is amazingly convenient. But good to know if I need repair work done, thank you!

It looks like the ASET arrives on Wednesday and we're finally collecting the stone on Friday. I hope everyone is prepared for an onslaught of photos then!

Thank you so much for this wonderful comment!

I looked through your posts, did you end up using Barbara Voltaire for an appraisal? I saw that @JPie recommended her. I just looked on a map and can also get to both Aatlo and Escobar though neither is amazingly convenient. But good to know if I need repair work done, thank you!

It looks like the ASET arrives on Wednesday and we're finally collecting the stone on Friday. I hope everyone is prepared for an onslaught of photos then!

Nick Engel in SF is fantastic for repair work. Expensive but worth it, and he’s very honest in his assessment.

@JPie and @madelise, @newtojewels Apologies for hijacking the thread, but I’m also in SF and need to resize my engagement ring, which has a knife-edge design that makes it a bit tricky. Would you recommend Nick Engel or Joe Escobar for this?

Nick Engel in SF is fantastic for repair work. Expensive but worth it, and he’s very honest in his assessment.

Thank you!

@JPie and @madelise, @newtojewels Apologies for hijacking the thread, but I’m also in SF and need to resize my engagement ring, which has a knife-edge design that makes it a bit tricky. Would you recommend Nick Engel or Joe Escobar for this?

I’ve never been to Joe but have heard good things. Nick Engel is way closer to me so I’ve been using him for a few years. He’ll tell you if he doesn’t think he can do something.

Also, if the piece is antique and you don’t want it cleaned or polished like new, be sure to tell his team when you drop it off.

Nick is fantastic too! He’s a really sweet person. I love his “diy wedding bands” workshop and have been dying to do it. I’d definitely trust him.

Well I can't share new photos of the stone yet since I don't have it, but I thought you all might enjoy this!

I'm trying to decide exactly what ring size to get for the setting given my somewhat knuckly fingers. It won't be an eternity style so will be resizable if I need it in the future, I just would like to get the size right the first time if possible. I'm somewhere in the 6.5-6.75 range. My partner has a 3d printer so he made me mock-up rings in every 1/8 size from 6.25 to 6.825 and the plan is to wear them all and then ship the winner off with the stone to be set since mandrels vary a bit. Wish me luck!

1727230790885.png

Well I can't share new photos of the stone yet since I don't have it, but I thought you all might enjoy this!

I'm trying to decide exactly what ring size to get for the setting given my somewhat knuckly fingers. It won't be an eternity style so will be resizable if I need it in the future, I just would like to get the size right the first time if possible. I'm somewhere in the 6.5-6.75 range. My partner has a 3d printer so he made me mock-up rings in every 1/8 size from 6.25 to 6.825 and the plan is to wear them all and then ship the winner off with the stone to be set since mandrels vary a bit. Wish me luck!

1727230790885.png

If you're into stacking rings then I'll make them a little bigger :)

You can also use those little silicon spirals if needed to snug it up if it spins a bit. The weightless of the diamond might make that inevitable when it’s worn alone. Stacking much be your friend!

If you're into stacking rings then I'll make them a little bigger :)

Since I'm knuckle-limited, I haven't needed to size up yet even for very wide bands. But hopefully the extra ring helps some with spinning at least! Here's me stacking 14mm of rings as a joke from another thread! I can't size down from here due to the knuckle:

1727281859025.png

You can also use those little silicon spirals if needed to snug it up if it spins a bit. The weightless of the diamond might make that inevitable when it’s worn alone. Stacking much be your friend!

These spirals are my life! I haven't done sizing beads but I'm wondering if I should for this so it's more permanent.

I love this Erika Winters band but I don't think I want to solder the rings together and I'm sure they wouldn't stay together on my fingers. My partner was thinking we could tie them together with the silicone but I don't know if I love that idea either...

1727281781292.png
1727281789237.png

Since I'm knuckle-limited, I haven't needed to size up yet even for very wide bands. But hopefully the extra ring helps some with spinning at least! Here's me stacking 14mm of rings as a joke from another thread! I can't size down from here due to the knuckle:

1727281859025.png

These spirals are my life! I haven't done sizing beads but I'm wondering if I should for this so it's more permanent.

I love this Erika Winters band but I don't think I want to solder the rings together and I'm sure they wouldn't stay together on my fingers. My partner was thinking we could tie them together with the silicone but I don't know if I love that idea either...

1727281781292.png
1727281789237.png

This might be a case where a style just isn't for you! Just like I don't tend to wear crop tops, maybe you can't wear rings that need to stay aligned a certain way?

Regarding the stacking thing, one thing to keep in mind is that EW setting are exceptionally delicate. Like fairy rings. So that means that most other bands will be too deep/tall to elegantly stack. Plus they will make all your other rings look like they were made by two fingered trolls :lol-2: This may not be such a huge problem for you as most of your collection is made by artisans who are equally delicate. But I will be interested to see the comparison never the less! I have personally found it a bit of a struggle to match the delicacy of my CVB three stone (without shelling out for a similar designer band of course).

Oh! And do some research of sizing beads. My feeling is most people say they don't do much and are annoying? I'd hate anything to mar the perfect smooth metal of an EW mounting. But YMMV

This might be a case where a style just isn't for you! Just like I don't tend to wear crop tops, maybe you can't wear rings that need to stay aligned a certain way?

Regarding the stacking thing, one thing to keep in mind is that EW setting are exceptionally delicate. Like fairy rings. So that means that most other bands will be too deep/tall to elegantly stack. Plus they will make all your other rings look like they were made by two fingered trolls :lol-2: This may not be such a huge problem for you as most of your collection is made by artisans who are equally delicate. But I will be interested to see the comparison never the less! I have personally found it a bit of a struggle to match the delicacy of my CVB three stone (without shelling out for a similar designer band of course).
Oh! And do some research of sizing beads. My feeling is most people say they don't do much and are annoying? I'd hate anything to mar the perfect smooth metal of an EW mounting. But YMMV

I'm definitely going to do an EW band! The question is which one. I want somewhat matchy matchy for a wedding set and like you said it would be hard to get something elsewhere that would match the aesthetic and quality.

And yes, apparently EW doesn't even do sizing beads herself, I would need to have them done elsewhere and it would maybe void the warranty :/ So I think I'll try the snuggest size I can reasonably get on and off the knuckle in the heat even if it takes a minute to take it off and then use silicone sizers when it's cold. I'm definitely not looking forward to how these knuckles grow with age!

Love your crop top comment! :lol: No crop tops for me either! For bands, maybe I should do Imogen since that can just spin? Since it's an eternity and would be held on by the engagement ring, I figure I would size that one up a bit for future-proofing. Maybe 1/2-3/4 size up from the solitaire?

Any thoughts on platinum versus rose gold with a platinum head?

1727287921161.png
1727287984699.png

"Future proofing" is an interesting concept. Maybe it works in practice for some people. In my case, for example, I was a size 6.5 when I was married and a 10.5 now lol. No way to future proof that! So maybe consider some extra wiggle room but nothing that will compromise your enjoyment and aesthetic today. You might just need to mentally prepare for the reality of replacing the rings at some point. If sentimentality is a factor some people get a plain gold band for the ceremony and for casual wear, which is more easily sized as bodies change over time.

Obviously I love a good two tone and I prefer warm metals, but for some reason with these rings I am leaning towards the whole ring in a single color to keep the focus on the beautiful architecture.

And as an aside its so fun that you are getting an EW piece. I knew EW back in her "coatimundi" days here on PS and always liked her so much and admired her style.

"Future proofing" is an interesting concept. Maybe it works in practice for some people. In my case, for example, I was a size 6.5 when I was married and a 10.5 now lol. No way to future proof that! So maybe consider some extra wiggle room but nothing that will compromise your enjoyment and aesthetic today. You might just need to mentally prepare for the reality of replacing the rings at some point. If sentimentality is a factor some people get a plain gold band for the ceremony and for casual wear, which is more easily sized as bodies change over time.

Obviously I love a good two tone and I prefer warm metals, but for some reason with these rings I am leaning towards the whole ring in a single color to keep the focus on the beautiful architecture.

And as an aside its so fun that you are getting an EW piece. I knew EW back in her "coatimundi" days here on PS and always liked her so much and admired her style.

Good point on future proofing! There's only so much we can do, right?

What about all rose gold? I just thought that might add more tint....

I just got a copy of the appraisal. Is it worth going to one of the other appraisers for more detail than this or do you think that this + GIA is enough based on your experience? My family doesn't live that that far from David Atlas so I could probably go there over the holidays.

1727297603171.png

Based on my understanding and experience with JM insurance, this should be sufficient detail. This would allow you to select another 3ct J VSI, GIA graded Old Mine Brilliant as a replacement for up to $50km which seems like what you would need (you would be the one to decide if cut quality was adequate to your liking). However, it is really fun to know more about these old ladies so if you have access to a great appraiser like that it might be nice to have that information, though I don't think it will affect the insurance process at all.

My metal vote is, pick what YOU LOVE.

For a piece that you plan on wearing daily, for a very very long time … I would definitely stay with something classic and timeless ❤️

That said…. I adore her all platinum pieces. I’m so excited to see this all come together…. Confession, every time I see an update on here I think, “maybe she’s engaged and I’m going to open this and see a million pics and videos… cause I absolutely love, as in LOVE her diamond.” The 3D ring is so adorable !!! You found a good one! So happy for you two! :kiss2:

My metal vote is, pick what YOU LOVE.

For a piece that you plan on wearing daily, for a very very long time … I would definitely stay with something classic and timeless ❤️

That said…. I adore her all platinum pieces. I’m so excited to see this all come together…. Confession, every time I see an update on here I think, “maybe she’s engaged and I’m going to open this and see a million pics and videos… cause I absolutely love, as in LOVE her diamond.” The 3D ring is so adorable !!! You found a good one! So happy for you two! :kiss2:

I'm collecting the stone on Friday so I will definitely post photos and videos Friday night and Saturday! You can set your alarm :lol:

I have a mix of rose, yellow, and white metals for my jewelry so I really don't have a preference except that I would prefer it to not be yellow gold. Maybe I'll try to surround the diamond with my rose gold and platinum pieces and see what I think looks most harmonious. I haven't seen a lot of two-tone pieces from her but did find this one at least:

1727310318506.png
1727310343418.png

Haha I'm setting my alarm and will be refreshing this page on Saturday (AU) time lol. I can't wait to see a tonne of photos and videos.

Also I hope your future fiance won't make us wait too long lol.

I'm collecting the stone on Friday so I will definitely post photos and videos Friday night and Saturday! You can set your alarm :lol:

I have a mix of rose, yellow, and white metals for my jewelry so I really don't have a preference except that I would prefer it to not be yellow gold. Maybe I'll try to surround the diamond with my rose gold and platinum pieces and see what I think looks most harmonious. I haven't seen a lot of two-tone pieces from her but did find this one at least:

1727310318506.png
1727310343418.png

Wow this is amazing. I take it back do this.

Also I hope your future fiance won't make us wait too long lol.
I believe I already threatened…. Errr… warned her that we would come for him if he made us…. Errrr… her wait. She said something yadda yadda about plans and waiting and timing! The nerve!

ฉันประทับใจกับบทความของคุณ

ดูหนัง

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP