shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your Van Cleef and Arpels jewelry!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Went to my boutique a couple days ago.

This piece absolutely stole the show. When I saw it in the case… I’ve only ever seen photos in coffee table books. I didn’t even think they still made it!! This is the rarest of the mystery-set butterflies - mostly because of how difficult emeralds are to work with this way. My phone doesn’t do the colour justice. Those melee-sized squares were this unbelievably rich, deep, saturated, velvet green IRL, no grey, no blue - an absolute dream :love:

IMG_2234.jpeg

IMG_2236.jpeg

IMG_2244.jpeg

These rings are honestly so much better in-person than in photos. Easy and fun. I prefer the green and black colour combo but my eyes noped straight outta that striation orientation situation :shock:

IMG_2259.jpeg

IMG_2261.jpeg

IMG_2217.jpeg

The new Perlee bracelets. Nope. Really not my thing. Heavy AF though, they def didn’t skimp on metal!

1721586033740.jpeg

But the earrings, those are really lovely! Apparently they’re limited. Price point is too dear for me to actually consider it but in an alternate life… Quite heavy, but very showy, and beautifully designed with minimal articulation :love:

1721587173096.jpeg

I‘ve been wanting a RG ring to wear with my MOP Cosmos earrings. Chose the two-butterfly BTF, should be here in a few days ::)

That mystery set emerald btf looks so expensive that it’s billionaire level jewelry. I can’t believe it was there. Wearing it must have been surreal.

I absolutely love the door knockers on you. 80s vibe but done right with elegance and VCA diamonds. You can’t beat that. They’re my favorite. They’re fabulous but they’re something you can were casually. It looks so appropriate with what you’ve got on. Too bad they’re so pricey.

And very excited for your btf ring. That will be gorgeous with your cosmos MOP and it will look amazing with your MOP RDN as well.

sweets4dsweet

Rough_Rock
Went to my boutique a couple days ago.

This piece absolutely stole the show. When I saw it in the case… I’ve only ever seen photos in coffee table books. I didn’t even think they still made it!! This is the rarest of the mystery-set butterflies - mostly because of how difficult emeralds are to work with this way. My phone doesn’t do the colour justice. Those melee-sized squares were this unbelievably rich, deep, saturated, velvet green IRL, no grey, no blue - an absolute dream :love:

IMG_2234.jpeg

IMG_2236.jpeg

IMG_2244.jpeg

These rings are honestly so much better in-person than in photos. Easy and fun. I prefer the green and black colour combo but my eyes noped straight outta that striation orientation situation :shock:

IMG_2259.jpeg

IMG_2261.jpeg

IMG_2217.jpeg

The new Perlee bracelets. Nope. Really not my thing. Heavy AF though, they def didn’t skimp on metal!

1721586033740.jpeg

But the earrings, those are really lovely! Apparently they’re limited. Price point is too dear for me to actually consider it but in an alternate life… Quite heavy, but very showy, and beautifully designed with minimal articulation :love:

1721587173096.jpeg

I‘ve been wanting a RG ring to wear with my MOP Cosmos earrings. Chose the two-butterfly BTF, should be here in a few days ::)

Oh my gosh, the emerald mystery set butterfly is breathtaking! The green has so much depth. Is the the ring you're getting???

sweets4dsweet

Rough_Rock
What did you decide on @sweets4dsweet?

I decided to keep it <3. I just love the simple elegance of it.

I was initially concerned about the color and the underside of the clip showing. I felt assured after feedback on color from Pomelo and M-2-B <3

After playing around with it, I discovered that I can clip it in slightly off-centered (instead of perpendicular to the bottom of my lobe) to make it sit low even before adjustments. I think it stays in that position due to the tension because it does leave a faint red mark after a while, but it's not terrible. I'll see how it fits after moving the post to the highest setting and go from there.

IMG_6336.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I decided to keep it <3. I just love the simple elegance of it.

I was initially concerned about the color and the underside of the clip showing. I felt assured after feedback on color from Pomelo and M-2-B <3

After playing around with it, I discovered that I can clip it in slightly off-centered (instead of perpendicular to the bottom of my lobe) to make it sit low even before adjustments. I think it stays in that position due to the tension because it does leave a faint red mark after a while, but it's not terrible. I'll see how it fits after moving the post to the highest setting and go from there.

IMG_6336.jpg

It’s a lovely colour on you.

You might ask to be put on the waitlist for a Magic pair, when you go in for the post alteration. It’ll probably be a wait but sometimes folks get luck on timing!

NeciaKH

Rough_Rock
Hello friends, I have been a member of PS for many years, I actually started out as a collector of antique jewelry and old cut diamonds, so of course I found my way to this forum. I am so bad with tech though, so I kept getting locked out of my account. I was looking for some photo inspiration on lesser seen pieces and saw PS come up in my search…lo and behold, my phone had an account saved that I made at some time, so I wanted to say hi to all the VCA friends who know me from the other forum. I am Nicole0612 there. I clicked on this thread right away and saw some gorgeous RDN pieces posted by @yssie! I have always loved this line and find it so beautiful. I had a MOP RDN piece that scared me a bit because a petal became loose, but I still have another one on my wish list (chrysoprase), though fairly sure it will never become available for me. I also think the chalcedony RDN is quite dreamy, and part of me wonders if I should just go for the lapis. Any tips for searching this forum easily? Perhaps…let’s just say…for various sizes and stones of RDN pieces? ❤️

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello friends, I have been a member of PS for many years, I actually started out as a collector of antique jewelry and old cut diamonds, so of course I found my way to this forum. I am so bad with tech though, so I kept getting locked out of my account. I was looking for some photo inspiration on lesser seen pieces and saw PS come up in my search…lo and behold, my phone had an account saved that I made at some time, so I wanted to say hi to all the VCA friends who know me from the other forum. I am Nicole0612 there. I clicked on this thread right away and saw some gorgeous RDN pieces posted by @yssie! I have always loved this line and find it so beautiful. I had a MOP RDN piece that scared me a bit because a petal became loose, but I still have another one on my wish list (chrysoprase), though fairly sure it will never become available for me. I also think the chalcedony RDN is quite dreamy, and part of me wonders if I should just go for the lapis. Any tips for searching this forum easily? Perhaps…let’s just say…for various sizes and stones of RDN pieces? ❤️

Welcome (back)!! I imagine a good number of us recognize you from the other forum ❤️ I use the same handle on there but I'm pretty inactive - though I can't exactly say I'm active on here either these days :twisted2:

On the searching PS... It's low key heresy but I just google whatever term and stick "pricescope" in double quotes onto the end of my google search. The in-forum search function just isn't very good, never has been. But RDN is pretty rare on here so I'd guess you'd get to everything by filtering your search to "This thread". I think? Probably? LOL.

Chrysoprase is such a marvellous material for RDN!! OMG!! I love those few photos that someone's shared on the other forum - I do hope one comes your way one day!! :love: Are you looking for a pendant? Clip? Earrings?

On the lapis... So I'm on a wishlist for a pair of lapis RDN earrings in the small size. A wish that I suspect is extremely unlikely to find fruition, granted :lol: For me this design is especially beautiful because of the asymmetry of the petals and the curvature of the cabs, and the mini size is the most "sterile" scale - petals all the same size and shape, all oriented symmetrically... But the sheen of the MOP forces some dimensionality. The one time I saw the mini lapis in-person I was totally wowed by the colour - but the opacity of that stone, in the mini design, it didn't have the same vitality. For me, my 2c, all the disclaimers.

I'm also just a pearls girl through and through though ::)

Reactions: CMN

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Couple quickies from me - onyx RdN on leather and my new butterfly BTF ❤️

RdN_Elan_1.jpg

RdN_Elan_2.jpg

RdN_Elan_3.jpg

- - - - - - - - - -

TwoButterfly_4.jpg

TwoButterfly_2.jpg

TwoButterfly_1.jpg

TwoButterfly_3.jpg

newtojewels

Brilliant_Rock
Couple quickies from me - onyx RdN on leather and my new butterfly BTF ❤️

RdN_Elan_1.jpg

RdN_Elan_2.jpg

RdN_Elan_3.jpg

- - - - - - - - - -

TwoButterfly_4.jpg

TwoButterfly_2.jpg

TwoButterfly_1.jpg

TwoButterfly_3.jpg

Oh the ring is stunning on you! Rose gold is just so pretty with your skin tone. And I love how you're wearing the pin on leather, what a fun idea for fine jewelry.

NeciaKH

Rough_Rock
Welcome (back)!! I imagine a good number of us recognize you from the other forum ❤️ I use the same handle on there but I'm pretty inactive - though I can't exactly say I'm active on here either these days :twisted2:

On the searching PS... It's low key heresy but I just google whatever term and stick "pricescope" in double quotes onto the end of my google search. The in-forum search function just isn't very good, never has been. But RDN is pretty rare on here so I'd guess you'd get to everything by filtering your search to "This thread". I think? Probably? LOL.

Chrysoprase is such a marvellous material for RDN!! OMG!! I love those few photos that someone's shared on the other forum - I do hope one comes your way one day!! :love: Are you looking for a pendant? Clip? Earrings?

On the lapis... So I'm on a wishlist for a pair of lapis RDN earrings in the small size. A wish that I suspect is extremely unlikely to find fruition, granted :lol: For me this design is especially beautiful because of the asymmetry of the petals and the curvature of the cabs, and the mini size is the most "sterile" scale - petals all the same size and shape, all oriented symmetrically... But the sheen of the MOP forces some dimensionality. The one time I saw the mini lapis in-person I was totally wowed by the colour - but the opacity of that stone, in the mini design, it didn't have the same vitality. For me, my 2c, all the disclaimers.

I'm also just a pearls girl through and through though ::)

Hi! Thanks for the great suggestion. I had to laugh, because that is exactly what I always recommended when people on the other forum ask how to search for things there, so I don't know why it didn't occur to me. I will be trying it out!

You probably remember that I have been a Chrysoprase lover for a long time, but the only RDN piece I purchased was MOP (medium clip). Now that I see your rationale for why other stones are more magical choices for RDN, it renews my enthusiasm for adding a more vibrant stone. I totally agree with your theory. I am mostly after the pendant, but I would not say no to Chyroprase or Chalcedony if they came to me somehow in any format.

I am really awestruck by your onyx RDN! I had no idea it was so beautiful. Your photos hit me really hard, in the way that jewelry should make us catch our breath in awe. That majestic impression can fade over time as we collect more pieces and our tastes go upwards, so it feels very beautiful to have that feeling again. You know, maybe I should get the onyx pendant!

I hope the lapis RDN earrings come to you soon. They will be a beautiful addition to your collection.

Can I ask what made you decide on lapis for the earrings? Would you consider another RDN piece in lapis once you have the earrings? I would also love to know what made you decide to go with onyx for your clip. It is a bold choice, and not the standard one, but I am really in love with it. It make the piece suddenly less completely feminine and adds a chic drama.

sunny05

Rough_Rock
Trade
on the topic of the topic of the RDN, here’s some pics of me trying on the small onyx as a clip and as a pendant! i found it to be absolutely gorgeous, my preference would probably be chalcedony (my holy grail!) or grey mother of pearl, but this was the only one available to try at the time. i liked the onyx much more than i thought i would, and found it really striking on a coat!
unfortunately i never wear brooches, and even if i did i’d be terrified it’d accidentally fall off or i’d forget about it and end up throwing it in the wash! IMG_7431.jpeg IMG_7432.jpeg

NeciaKH

Rough_Rock
on the topic of the topic of the RDN, here’s some pics of me trying on the small onyx as a clip and as a pendant! i found it to be absolutely gorgeous, my preference would probably be chalcedony (my holy grail!) or grey mother of pearl, but this was the only one available to try at the time. i liked the onyx much more than i thought i would, and found it really striking on a coat!
unfortunately i never wear brooches, and even if i did i’d be terrified it’d accidentally fall off or i’d forget about it and end up throwing it in the wash! IMG_7431.jpeg IMG_7432.jpeg

This is so stunning! I think the GMOP is so gorgeous, but I never realized until now how striking the onyx is as well. My wishlist included Chrysoprase, Chalcedony and GMOP, none of which I have ever seen in person, so I am thinking if I expand my wishlist to onyx, perhaps it will be easier to find. I really think RDN is the line where the beauty of Chalcedony shines more than in any other style, so I hope that you get your dream piece soon.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! Thanks for the great suggestion. I had to laugh, because that is exactly what I always recommended when people on the other forum ask how to search for things there, so I don't know why it didn't occur to me. I will be trying it out!

You probably remember that I have been a Chrysoprase lover for a long time, but the only RDN piece I purchased was MOP (medium clip). Now that I see your rationale for why other stones are more magical choices for RDN, it renews my enthusiasm for adding a more vibrant stone. I totally agree with your theory. I am mostly after the pendant, but I would not say no to Chyroprase or Chalcedony if they came to me somehow in any format.

I am really awestruck by your onyx RDN! I had no idea it was so beautiful. Your photos hit me really hard, in the way that jewelry should make us catch our breath in awe. That majestic impression can fade over time as we collect more pieces and our tastes go upwards, so it feels very beautiful to have that feeling again. You know, maybe I should get the onyx pendant!

I hope the lapis RDN earrings come to you soon. They will be a beautiful addition to your collection.

Can I ask what made you decide on lapis for the earrings? Would you consider another RDN piece in lapis once you have the earrings? I would also love to know what made you decide to go with onyx for your clip. It is a bold choice, and not the standard one, but I am really in love with it. It make the piece suddenly less completely feminine and adds a chic drama.
I admit, my phone’s photo album is well acquainted with your chrysoprase Alhambra pieces, the green with that translucency is otherworldly :love:

Green is actually one of my favourite colours - and I prefer a mid green that errs yellow, like yours (in photos at least). I would love more stock green options; malachite is a bit too cool for me. And the maintenance is more than I’m comfortable with, if I’m honest.

All that said… I do feel - not substantiated by anything, just a feeling! - that pendants are most likely in the more rare stones, so I will be keeping fingers crossed for you!

I pretty much knew way back when I got my carnelian RdN earrings that I’d want onyx too, to complete the red/white/black RdN “set”, but my hair is too dark and long to do black on the ears justice. And I don’t do necklaces so clip it was! It’s turned out to be an unexpectedly versatile choice - I pinned it to the side of my heel the other day. A ridiculous little delight. (And I’ve never walked so carefully before :lol:)

I think my dream piece would be one of the older RdN form factors - clematis, or nerval, in white coral. And a vintage white coral Alhambra bracelet to go with it. But between scarcity, cost, and the fact that I know I will be unhappy without a perfect colour match… I haven’t even started searching, feels like a fool’s errand. I really like these too - I don’t know what this incarnation was called, do you?
IMG_2435.png

My introduction to the older designs! I was about six months too late on these and three years on they still haunt me o_O
IMG_2436.png

I was actually debating asking for chrysoprase! But I’ve got a couple of lapis pieces - the anniversary bracelet, some non-VCA stuff - figured I’d best stick with something I’ve already got. But, I mean, goodness knows I can’t even get hold of the dang perlee three row bracelet and that’s plain ol’ website stock, so I am an inimitably choosy beggar right now!

Would you have any preferences on how striated you’d want a chalcedony RdN piece to be? As in - would you prefer stronger striations or a more uniform colour? The way they orient the striations over the petals is interesting to me, like concentric circles, very different from the Alhambra and Secret watch diagonals, I’ve always wondered how they decide!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so stunning! I think the GMOP is so gorgeous, but I never realized until now how striking the onyx is as well. My wishlist included Chrysoprase, Chalcedony and GMOP, none of which I have ever seen in person, so I am thinking if I expand my wishlist to onyx, perhaps it will be easier to find. I really think RDN is the line where the beauty of Chalcedony shines more than in any other style, so I hope that you get your dream piece soon.

Oh. I absolutely have to add. If you can wear cooler colour combos - the GMOP in RdN is magical. The way the iridescence swirls in the cabochon GMOP, it’s like the petals are holding the northern lights captive - I’ve never seen anything like it. You and @sunny05 simply must see the GMOP in-person before y’all commit to any other RdN stones!! I’d love to request GMOP & rose gold RdN earrings once the SO queue reopens.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It looks phenomenal on your coat - I can’t think of a better background for this colorway!

Did you find it comfortable as a pendant? It’s bold on the neck - it’d be phenomenal over a turtleneck mid-winter :love:

Y’know, I kinda wish the pins had those protective sleeve bits for both pointy ends! (nailed that description I know :lol:) That way if you did toss it in the wash at least you’d know it wouldn’t poke holes in anything else! :lol:

sunny05

Rough_Rock
Trade
It looks phenomenal on your coat - I can’t think of a better background for this colorway!

Did you find it comfortable as a pendant? It’s bold on the neck - it’d be phenomenal over a turtleneck mid-winter :love:

Y’know, I kinda wish the pins had those protective sleeve bits for both pointy ends! (nailed that description I know :lol:) That way if you did toss it in the wash at least you’d know it wouldn’t poke holes in anything else! :lol:

i don’t quite remember how it felt on the neck—i was too lazy to take off the pendant i already had on (which is why my hand is covering up below haha) but from what i recall the pins did make it less comfortable than a regular pendant! i kind of wish they had a version that was *just* a pendant, although maybe i’d kick myself in twenty years when i start wearing brooches!

i agree, it’s a bit too bold against bare skin, but i think it’d be lovely in one of the softer stones like mother of pearl—i know a lady who wears her white mother of pearl RDN as a pendant in the summer and it is GORGEOUS with a lovely sundress.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i don’t quite remember how it felt on the neck—i was too lazy to take off the pendant i already had on (which is why my hand is covering up below haha) but from what i recall the pins did make it less comfortable than a regular pendant! i kind of wish they had a version that was *just* a pendant, although maybe i’d kick myself in twenty years when i start wearing brooches!

i agree, it’s a bit too bold against bare skin, but i think it’d be lovely in one of the softer stones like mother of pearl—i know a lady who wears her white mother of pearl RDN as a pendant in the summer and it is GORGEOUS with a lovely sundress.

Oh I didn’t mean that it’s *too* bold! Sorry, I worded that poorly. Just that it is a bold look - which is lovely on anyone who can rock the look! Sadly that’s not me!

I have both wondered why the small size isn’t just a pendant and also why - if the small size is a clip with a chain - don’t they give you a chain with the medium size clip as well? ::Shrug::

The white MOP is just so classic! It hits all the sweet spots - beautiful and wearable, can’t go wrong with it :love: I’m very partial to MOP in cab form, the sheen is so pretty ♥️

NeciaKH

Rough_Rock
@yssie I have a soft spot for all of the floral lines. Honestly, sometimes it is hard to get all of the names correct because they are so often mis-named online by sellers or on these forums. There is a page on the VCA heritage link, but it is by no means comprehensive. I will attach a few pretty screenshots.

My only hesitation with RDN and also Nerval, is that I have personally experienced how the petal settings on both can require a bit more delicate care. I had a petal fall off of a Nerval necklace and a petal be loose and wiggly on a RDN. Both were sent for repairs, but I have heard the same from others regarding RDN. Both of mine are MOP, so it is quite possible that the softer nature of MOP makes them more difficult to anchor.

You bring up such an interesting point about the chalcedony striations and their orientation. I noted for the new Paquerette ring, the striations are oriented in a less pleasing way aesthetically (less flow for me). In general, with chalcedony, I prefer fewer striations, less for uniformity and more because I prefer more blue/purple and less white in overall appearance.

I do love the sheen of the GMOP also. I would take any of the 3 if they come to me. I do have to wonder if part of my reason for not taking the lapis is because it is technically available. It really is stunning and it absolutely makes sense to complete your set, especially with such a rare and beautiful stone.

NeciaKH

Rough_Rock
@yssie I have a soft spot for all of the floral lines. Honestly, sometimes it is hard to get all of the names correct because they are so often mis-named online by sellers or on these forums. There is a page on the VCA heritage link, but it is by no means comprehensive. I will attach a few pretty screenshots.

My only hesitation with RDN and also Nerval, is that I have personally experienced how the petal settings on both can require a bit more delicate care. I had a petal fall off of a Nerval necklace and a petal be loose and wiggly on a RDN. Both were sent for repairs, but I have heard the same from others regarding RDN. Both of mine are MOP, so it is quite possible that the softer nature of MOP makes them more difficult to anchor.

You bring up such an interesting point about the chalcedony striations and their orientation. I noted for the new Paquerette ring, the striations are oriented in a less pleasing way aesthetically (less flow for me). In general, with chalcedony, I prefer fewer striations, less for uniformity and more because I prefer more blue/purple and less white in overall appearance.

I do love the sheen of the GMOP also. I would take any of the 3 if they come to me. I do have to wonder if part of my reason for not taking the lapis is because it is technically available. It really is stunning and it absolutely makes sense to complete your set, especially with such a rare and beautiful stone.

IMG_9016.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9017.jpeg
    IMG_9017.jpeg
    218.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9018.jpeg
    IMG_9018.jpeg
    218.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9019.jpeg
    IMG_9019.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9020.jpeg
    IMG_9020.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9021.jpeg
    IMG_9021.jpeg
    232.5 KB · Views: 18

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I completely understand the “it’s available” hesitation. The rarities give me a very real high - especially if they’re rare because the material is hard to come by or difficult to work with. And I know that you’re a collector who appreciates those aspects as well; your collection is far more comprehensive than most boutiques’ heritage selections.

My SA is confident she could get me the mini lapis RdN. But I don’t want the mini size ;(They’re just too precise for me. The only size I’d want is the small - the small has that wee bit more variation in petal form and placement that I really like… Unfortunately that demand most likely tips the ask into ain’t happening territory :confused2: But… Stranger things have happened, we’ll see.

Van Cleef has mastered florals. I can’t think of another house whose florals are so diverse and yet so distinctively and identifiably VCA. Thank you so much for those links!! It really is difficult to find the retired names - coffee table books are my usual go-to source but of course they’re (also) far from complete. I keep forgetting that I can also just check the website for info!

I had the opportunity to try the Gloxinia on several months ago. Incredibly majestic. And much larger than I expected, and heavy! And I was so impressed by how the workshop metered all of the partial sapphire melee at the outline to the exact colour and saturation of the full squares, even with so little material to concentrate colour… I would’ve expected those partials to be lighter and greyer but not at all! My husband took one look at the pricetag dangling off my earlobe and demanded I remove them posthaste :lol:
1722822361954.jpeg

My SA warns me to be careful with the RdN petals every time I see her - it’s certainly not unique to you or to MOP. I’m shocked to learn you had trouble with your Nerval though - I would have thought the metal bezel would keep everything in place! Can I ask how long ago ish you had to get them repaired - how long has it been? Are you comfy wearing them now?

I live mostly in pearls - that’s probably inured me to some things that would horrify most gemstone owners, like epoxy in fine jewellery :bigsmile: I do believe all the RdN stones are glued in, though; if I may, just in case your SA hasn’t advised this already, I’d recommend not wearing them when it’s very cold or hot as temperature extremes can damage epoxy - even after it’s cured.

You have a chalcedony Alhambra SO set coming right? In rose gold if I recall correctly? That will be a really delicate and ethereal combo - I hope they’ve picked out especially purpley bluey stones for you! As for RdN - I have every confidence you will have your selection of stones soon. I just know it’ll work out for you ♥️

The paquerette malachite situation took me aback. I thought perhaps the orientation was random, and the rings would differ, but it seems that’s a deliberate and uniform design decision. Shrug. It’s definitely not for me.

This post has turned into an evening thesis - how many people have I put to sleep? ::)

NeciaKH

Rough_Rock
I completely understand the “it’s available” hesitation. The rarities give me a very real high - especially if they’re rare because the material is hard to come by or difficult to work with. And I know that you’re a collector who appreciates those aspects as well; your collection is far more comprehensive than most boutiques’ heritage selections.

My SA is confident she could get me the mini lapis RdN. But I don’t want the mini size ;(They’re just too precise for me. The only size I’d want is the small - the small has that wee bit more variation in petal form and placement that I really like… Unfortunately that demand most likely tips the ask into ain’t happening territory :confused2: But… Stranger things have happened, we’ll see.

Van Cleef has mastered florals. I can’t think of another house whose florals are so diverse and yet so distinctively and identifiably VCA. Thank you so much for those links!! It really is difficult to find the retired names - coffee table books are my usual go-to source but of course they’re (also) far from complete. I keep forgetting that I can also just check the website for info!

I had the opportunity to try the Gloxinia on several months ago. Incredibly majestic. And much larger than I expected, and heavy! And I was so impressed by how the workshop metered all of the partial sapphire melee at the outline to the exact colour and saturation of the full squares, even with so little material to concentrate colour… I would’ve expected those partials to be lighter and greyer but not at all! My husband took one look at the pricetag dangling off my earlobe and demanded I remove them posthaste :lol:
1722822361954.jpeg

My SA warns me to be careful with the RdN petals every time I see her - it’s certainly not unique to you or to MOP. I’m shocked to learn you had trouble with your Nerval though - I would have thought the metal bezel would keep everything in place! Can I ask how long ago ish you had to get them repaired - how long has it been? Are you comfy wearing them now?

I live mostly in pearls - that’s probably inured me to some things that would horrify most gemstone owners, like epoxy in fine jewellery :bigsmile: I do believe all the RdN stones are glued in, though; if I may, just in case your SA hasn’t advised this already, I’d recommend not wearing them when it’s very cold or hot as temperature extremes can damage epoxy - even after it’s cured.

You have a chalcedony Alhambra SO set coming right? In rose gold if I recall correctly? That will be a really delicate and ethereal combo - I hope they’ve picked out especially purpley bluey stones for you! As for RdN - I have every confidence you will have your selection of stones soon. I just know it’ll work out for you ♥️

The paquerette malachite situation took me aback. I thought perhaps the orientation was random, and the rings would differ, but it seems that’s a deliberate and uniform design decision. Shrug. It’s definitely not for me.

This post has turned into an evening thesis - how many people have I put to sleep? ::)

I totally agree with you, the small is the perfect size, but most available are mini or medium (perhaps for just that reason). Of course lapis is precious regardless of format or size. What are your thoughts on the medium clip? My RdN MOP in size medium, but it is a bit large for a pendant, though I see others wearing it as a pendant in glorious fashion. Perhaps it just needs a thicker chain (e.g. vintage rope chain)? Your onyx is medium, isn't it? Do you ever wear it other than as a clip? I could get the small or the medium onyx or GMOP likely without too much difficulty, however I do have a little boutique I have shopped at before who can source me the medium turquoise clip from their client. Of course, turquoise is tempting, but I'm not sure if medium is practical. I think you probably know that at least half of my collection never goes out of the house, though I love them dearly. I have tried to trim down a few items that I will never wear and to limit my additions to items that I will really *use* and dare-I-say abuse (?), but I just fall for the special and magical aspect of pieces I can never see or handle unless I buy them, like discontinued stones/sizes/formats.

VCA really is a master of floral designs. It is delicious to see all of the variations and formats that have been offered over the years, and how they change over time; more lush and curved or more geometric and uniform, safe colors or bold ones. Anything with mystery set stones is always breathtaking, especially appreciating the history.

The Nerval (being a vintage piece) perhaps explains the fallen-out petal. The RDN petal just started to have a little play in one petal where it is fastened with the screw, and it made me nervous considering how fragile the stones seem if they dropped onto the ground. A friend had a petal break and it was never able to be repaired perfectly. For the Nerval, one petal came completely off. You mentioned that the petals are glued on, which I agree seems to be the case, and I assume they just glued it back in. No issues after that, but it may be an issue in a climate with more temperatures extremes than where I am.

I would love to start wearing pearls more, I appreciate that you wear them often! Pearl is actually my birthstone, so I am quite attracted to it, but it does not do much for my coloring (very fair, green eyes, dark hair), I tend to do better with dark colors (black, charcoal, navy) or bright jewel tones. I love carnelian and tigers eye to look at, but they are the absolute worst colors on me (I cannot wear earth tones at all).

I do have a chalcedony/RG SO coming; it has been awhile waiting, but I have heard this from others. I assume part of the reason they paused SO requests is in order to catch up on the outstanding orders. The color is a bit washed out for me to be honest, but "ethereal" is the perfect description of the combination and I just cannot quell the desire to have it in my collection. I had been thinking about it for years and decided that it is a combination that will bring me so much joy that I need to have it.

The paquerette malachite situation took me aback as well. My husband laughs at me when I make a certain "WHAT??" face, and that is the face I had when I saw the orientation. I cheer for anyone who loves it, because anyone knows that half of the pieces I love are ones that many people would not accept for free!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally agree with you, the small is the perfect size, but most available are mini or medium (perhaps for just that reason). Of course lapis is precious regardless of format or size. What are your thoughts on the medium clip? My RdN MOP in size medium, but it is a bit large for a pendant, though I see others wearing it as a pendant in glorious fashion. Perhaps it just needs a thicker chain (e.g. vintage rope chain)? Your onyx is medium, isn't it? Do you ever wear it other than as a clip? I could get the small or the medium onyx or GMOP likely without too much difficulty, however I do have a little boutique I have shopped at before who can source me the medium turquoise clip from their client. Of course, turquoise is tempting, but I'm not sure if medium is practical. I think you probably know that at least half of my collection never goes out of the house, though I love them dearly. I have tried to trim down a few items that I will never wear and to limit my additions to items that I will really *use* and dare-I-say abuse (?), but I just fall for the special and magical aspect of pieces I can never see or handle unless I buy them, like discontinued stones/sizes/formats.

VCA really is a master of floral designs. It is delicious to see all of the variations and formats that have been offered over the years, and how they change over time; more lush and curved or more geometric and uniform, safe colors or bold ones. Anything with mystery set stones is always breathtaking, especially appreciating the history.

The Nerval (being a vintage piece) perhaps explains the fallen-out petal. The RDN petal just started to have a little play in one petal where it is fastened with the screw, and it made me nervous considering how fragile the stones seem if they dropped onto the ground. A friend had a petal break and it was never able to be repaired perfectly. For the Nerval, one petal came completely off. You mentioned that the petals are glued on, which I agree seems to be the case, and I assume they just glued it back in. No issues after that, but it may be an issue in a climate with more temperatures extremes than where I am.

I would love to start wearing pearls more, I appreciate that you wear them often! Pearl is actually my birthstone, so I am quite attracted to it, but it does not do much for my coloring (very fair, green eyes, dark hair), I tend to do better with dark colors (black, charcoal, navy) or bright jewel tones. I love carnelian and tigers eye to look at, but they are the absolute worst colors on me (I cannot wear earth tones at all).

I do have a chalcedony/RG SO coming; it has been awhile waiting, but I have heard this from others. I assume part of the reason they paused SO requests is in order to catch up on the outstanding orders. The color is a bit washed out for me to be honest, but "ethereal" is the perfect description of the combination and I just cannot quell the desire to have it in my collection. I had been thinking about it for years and decided that it is a combination that will bring me so much joy that I need to have it.

The paquerette malachite situation took me aback as well. My husband laughs at me when I make a certain "WHAT??" face, and that is the face I had when I saw the orientation. I cheer for anyone who loves it, because anyone knows that half of the pieces I love are ones that many people would not accept for free!

Just wanted to say hi! I haven't been on the other forum or this one much lately, but I always check the VCA thread when I come here! I just haven't bought anything lately to show!

RG and chalcedony sounds dreamy! Can't wait to see it!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to say hi! I haven't been on the other forum or this one much lately, but I always check the VCA thread when I come here! I just haven't bought anything lately to show!

Hi DiamondSeeker! Just saying hello and that we all miss you! Hope you are doing well and are enjoying your bling.

NeciaKH

Rough_Rock

Hi! We have missed you! My friend was just looking for some diamond stud earrings, I shared the knowledge I have, but couldn’t help but think of you and how you are an expert (and always so helpful) when someone needs to choose a pair of diamond earrings. Thank you for the kind words about the Chalcedony RG set. I am still waiting patiently for it to arrive. I hope you are doing well!

sweets4dsweet

Rough_Rock
Does anyone here have experience with VCA's e-boutique and the virtual customer service that they'd like to share?

NeciaKH

Rough_Rock
Does anyone here have experience with VCA's e-boutique and the virtual customer service that they'd like to share?

What feedback are you looking for? I always place orders through my boutique sales associate, but he is in another country, and my USA boutique is across the country (no boutique in my state), so when I require post-purchase services like shortening bracelets etc., they need to be done through the Online Boutique. Over time, I found that it was easier to just call them instead of placing the service request through my account online. I noticed that my caller ID shows VCA Online Boutique when I call the number for the aftercare service, so it is the same department (VCA online boutique = service number to call/message for adjusting a creation). I have purchased a lot of items that I have needed to be adjusted since I have small wrists, so I think I have talked to all of them multiple times. They are generally very nice and helpful with inquiries. They will ask me from time to time if there is anything I am interested in, and since I would only cheat on my sales associate for a very hard to find item; I have jokingly asked them about these things (e.g. chrysoprase RDN) and they sweetly say, “That sounds gorgeous! I will let you know if one becomes available!” Of course, it won’t, certainly not through this route. So they are very nice, but I don’t think they are more knowledgeable about VCA than we are as collectors (same as most SA).

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Apologies for the very late response my side! Maintaining the household petting zoo is my second full-time job these days :shock:

Pearls are my birthstone as well! I spent years finding them exceptionally uninteresting, though; bought a few here and there and could never see what others seemed to. It took seeing a photo (of all things!) of a spectacular strand to spark genuine interest - but that one photo was enough :twisted2:

If you decide to explore pearls more deeply - steely Tahitians and cool grey akoya might work nicely for your preferences… Or perhaps some bright bottle green Tahitians? ❤️

I was talking with my SA earlier today. She feels mother of pearl will become more rare. I agree, I’ve thought that for a long time - pearl prices are already skyrocketing, between global warming and waterway pollution - it’s just a matter of time before export legislation tightens in response to the lessened yield. I think that in some years your medium MOP clip may well be as rare as coral is now. A side story: I’d put in an SO request for a Hellebore ring and they declined not just pink MOP, but all MOP - apparently they weren’t confident they’d find enough non-included material to make the large petals. Already! (Of course, they’ve also declined my requests in carnelian and pink quartz - someone in Paris must be laughing at the string of increasingly unlikely Hellebore combos)

Another PSer Boom has small turquoise RdN earrings. They’re spectacular :love: When she got them she shared that she wasn’t sure how often she’d wear them, though - they’d be treasured as collection pieces, but that in her wardrobe a little turquoise goes a very long way. Would you get lots of wear from the colour? Turquoise in the medium size would be a very bold statement piece!

I don’t wear necklaces, so I’m not much help on the chain or proportions fronts I’m afraid! I generally like things #Big, though, so to my eyes it does seems like a very wearable-as-a-pendant size. For whatever that might be worth :lol:

I’m so glad you got your chalcedony approved before they closed the queue! It sounds like you’d been thinking about it for a while. I’ve not met you, of course, but from your description of your complexion - the cool blues and lavenders are going to look beautiful on you ❤️ Please share when they’re in!

I’m also glad to hear that those loose petals haven’t given you any more trouble! Hopefully the servicing will take them through a couple decades without more trouble!!

I had to laugh at your description of… Half one’s audience potentially finding half one’s collection somewhat questionable… We all know beauty is always in the eye of the beholder, just the ratio of beholders who appreciate something to those who don’t can occasionally be quite variable :lol: I do wonder if the agate/mop paquerette will become more popular with the new blue release?

One thing I’m working on personally is mixing labels. Branded with unbranded, this brand with that brand… My defaults are terribly unadventurous and I’d like to change that.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My experiences have been inconsistent. Sometimes rather than trouble my SA I’ll call in to check availability of something - the status of a SKU on the do-not-order list, say… On a few occasions an online boutique SA has given me wildly inaccurate info. And on other calls I’ve been privileged to speak with someone very helpful - I stash those folks’ names! ❤️

I always order anything that’s in production and that I’m eligible for through my SA though - I’m in sales myself, I know how much I value my customers’ loyalty. I’ve missed out on a couple of things but something else has always come along to make up for it.

Last edited:

NeciaKH

Rough_Rock
Apologies for the very late response my side! Maintaining the household petting zoo is my second full-time job these days :shock:

Pearls are my birthstone as well! I spent years finding them exceptionally uninteresting, though; bought a few here and there and could never see what others seemed to. It took seeing a photo (of all things!) of a spectacular strand to spark genuine interest - but that one photo was enough :twisted2:

If you decide to explore pearls more deeply - steely Tahitians and cool grey akoya might work nicely for your preferences… Or perhaps some bright bottle green Tahitians? ❤️

I was talking with my SA earlier today. She feels mother of pearl will become more rare. I agree, I’ve thought that for a long time - pearl prices are already skyrocketing, between global warming and waterway pollution - it’s just a matter of time before export legislation tightens in response to the lessened yield. I think that in some years your medium MOP clip may well be as rare as coral is now. A side story: I’d put in an SO request for a Hellebore ring and they declined not just pink MOP, but all MOP - apparently they weren’t confident they’d find enough non-included material to make the large petals. Already! (Of course, they’ve also declined my requests in carnelian and pink quartz - someone in Paris must be laughing at the string of increasingly unlikely Hellebore combos)

Another PSer Boom has small turquoise RdN earrings. They’re spectacular :love: When she got them she shared that she wasn’t sure how often she’d wear them, though - they’d be treasured as collection pieces, but that in her wardrobe a little turquoise goes a very long way. Would you get lots of wear from the colour? Turquoise in the medium size would be a very bold statement piece!

I don’t wear necklaces, so I’m not much help on the chain or proportions fronts I’m afraid! I generally like things #Big, though, so to my eyes it does seems like a very wearable-as-a-pendant size. For whatever that might be worth :lol:

I’m so glad you got your chalcedony approved before they closed the queue! It sounds like you’d been thinking about it for a while. I’ve not met you, of course, but from your description of your complexion - the cool blues and lavenders are going to look beautiful on you ❤️ Please share when they’re in!

I’m also glad to hear that those loose petals haven’t given you any more trouble! Hopefully the servicing will take them through a couple decades without more trouble!!

I had to laugh at your description of… Half one’s audience potentially finding half one’s collection somewhat questionable… We all know beauty is always in the eye of the beholder, just the ratio of beholders who appreciate something to those who don’t can occasionally be quite variable :lol: I do wonder if the agate/mop paquerette will become more popular with the new blue release?

One thing I’m working on personally is mixing labels. Branded with unbranded, this brand with that brand… My defaults are terribly unadventurous and I’d like to change that.

I appreciate the insights and feedback, and it's actually quite helpful that I had a bit more time to consider it. You know what, I think I will treasure what I have for now with RDN. However, be ready when I post that I just added a new one, because that sounds like me! I do think you are quite smart, and saying in the most kind way what is true: if MOP was as rare as turquoise, would I still be more intrigued by the turquoise, even knowing there would be fewer occasions to wear it. You are absolutely correct, I suspect that the answer is indeed no.

A fellow June birthday? How lovely is that!

You are right on the mark. I do really love tahitian pearls and grey pearls. I always look for steely, oily tones or for rainbow tones, but I actually did not know that green tahitian pearls were a different category. I know a decent amount about diamonds, antiques and a few select designer brands, but basically nothing about pearls other than the research I had to do to get customs to approve my GMOP SO pieces to enter the country after Selfridges VCA had miscategorized the species as endangered and I had to resubmit the paperwork for them! Thank you for giving me another fun classification to research.

I enjoy mixing brands and unbranded with branded. I especially enjoy wearing unique small artisan designer items, one-off beautifully crafted items or truly special and a little ornate vintage/antique jewelry pieces with designer pieces. Let's be honest, most of the new branded pieces that I can easily afford do not have an intricate design element, or if it does, it is not truly handmade. I love to see at least one piece that was made over time with creativity, inspiration and the touch of a true artist's hands. That is magical to me!

Hope you are well. Give the zoo some love for me.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just got a coveted piece off of my wishlist (thanks to my lovely SA)! It’s my first VCA guilloche item! The earrings are so reflective and shiny—don’t even miss the pave!

I altered them to include the longer posts which were also soldered in place. I did notice that they are heavier than my hammered gold VA earrings (for those who are sensitive to the weight on their earlobes).

The WG guilloche matches my platinum and WG pieces perfectly! I highly recommend them for all the white metal lovers out there!

IMG_6183.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results