shape
carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Piece!

Awesome! Are those discounts real? Or is it always a markup to markdown for psychological reasons situation? Some of those things are priced 70% off :-o

The MC2 partnership made a few business decision that didn't work out in the 2010's -- for example, they pulled out of selling at Bergdorf Goodman and bought a big house to be a showroom out in the rural Berkshire mountains. Here's an article about their closing and split. It seems like now the McTeigue component is closing or changing direction again, so these seem to be real discounts. Certainly comparing the pricing to other similar pieces looks good in general, even discounting that there was a once very high-end name behind it.

For example, a platinum 2ctw I eternity ring at Costco is $2500 + tax. The much more elegant 2ctw ring at McTeigue with F/G stones is on sale for $2750. In a way, the Tiffany version is a reasonable ring to compare to since McTeigue and Tiffany had a working relationship, and their eternity band is $12,000 for 1.8 ctw. The 1.3 ctw Brian Gavin Dream band is $3150, and even at IDJ a 2.1 ctw 18k white gold band is $2950. So maybe not the deal of the century, but it seems like a good price.

The more artistic designer pieces are of course harder to compare but also where the bigger discounts are, and of course it's more 'worth it' to have a designer piece that looks special than a designer eternity band! In general the branded pieces and antiques seemed to be well-priced compared to other sources I looked at, though again not 70% off of an unbranded internet find. I am no expert, though! And you have to be into designer things for those 'deals' to really matter.

edit: Hm, for some reason my BGD and IDJ links won't work. Any ideas? Is there a limit to the number of links you can have in a post?

The MC2 partnership made a few business decision that didn't work out in the 2010's -- for example, they pulled out of selling at Bergdorf Goodman and bought a big house to be a showroom out in the rural Berkshire mountains. Here's an article about their closing and split. It seems like now the McTeigue component is closing or changing direction again, so these seem to be real discounts. Certainly comparing the pricing to other similar pieces looks good in general, even discounting that there was a once very high-end name behind it.

For example, a platinum 2ctw I eternity ring at Costco is $2500 + tax. The much more elegant 2ctw ring at McTeigue with F/G stones is on sale for $2750. In a way, the Tiffany version is a reasonable ring to compare to since McTeigue and Tiffany had a working relationship, and their eternity band is $12,000 for 1.8 ctw. The 1.3 ctw Brian Gavin Dream band is $3150, and even at IDJ a 2.1 ctw 18k white gold band is $2950. So maybe not the deal of the century, but it seems like a good price.

The more artistic designer pieces are of course harder to compare but also where the bigger discounts are, and of course it's more 'worth it' to have a designer piece that looks special than a designer eternity band! In general the branded pieces and antiques seemed to be well-priced compared to other sources I looked at, though again not 70% off of an unbranded internet find. I am no expert, though! And you have to be into designer things for those 'deals' to really matter.

edit: Hm, for some reason my BGD and IDJ links won't work. Any ideas? Is there a limit to the number of links you can have in a post?

Thanks for the detailed explanation!

That color is sooooo pretty, I look forward to hearing what you think about it once you get it!

I got these after confirming that I could return the earrings if I don't like them in-person. I don't really wear yellow gold and have never tried such big earrings on, but I thought they were just so fun that I had to see.

Screen Shot 2023-12-23 at 12.19.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-23 at 12.20.29 AM.png

The prices were compelling. Love what you got!

Awesome! Are those discounts real? Or is it always a markup to markdown for psychological reasons situation? Some of those things are priced 70% off :-o

Good question. I just figured $1000/ct for the unheated certed sapphire and $1800 for the platinum mounting seemed fair. Could I replicate it for the price? Thought not. Didn’t really care about the original price.

lovedogs, did you buy this piece?

One of my holy grail items I’ve been looking for…but alas, I’m poor. Lol

Good question. I just figured $1000/ct for the unheated certed sapphire and $1800 for the platinum mounting seemed fair. Could I replicate it for the price? Thought not. Didn’t really care about the original price.

You must have gotten your ring, right? What do you think? I didn't see that you had posted any photos, and inquiring minds want to know! :lol:

I got my earrings and bracelet. The bracelet is being shortened, but I figured I would share photos of the earrings. I love them! I never used to be a yellow gold person because I thought it clashed with my skin and hair, but now I love how rich it looks. Of course it was dark and raining so these are all artificial light with a crummy cell phone camera, so I swear the diamonds look bright in person!

ZttE7TM.jpg

7wzZ2zG.jpg

You must have gotten your ring, right? What do you think? I didn't see that you had posted any photos, and inquiring minds want to know! :lol:

I got my earrings and bracelet. The bracelet is being shortened, but I figured I would share photos of the earrings. I love them! I never used to be a yellow gold person because I thought it clashed with my skin and hair, but now I love how rich it looks. Of course it was dark and raining so these are all artificial light with a crummy cell phone camera, so I swear the diamonds look bright in person!

ZttE7TM.jpg

7wzZ2zG.jpg

I sent the ring straight to AGL for another Report with origin so I don’t have it yet. When I do, I’ll post pictures for you! Love your floral motif earrings.

Box and inscribing look suspect to me; buyer should consider reputable 3rd party authentication.

Good point, I thought it was fairly safe to buy from Japan, but this seller has a LOT of Cartier, which seems odd.

Good point, I thought it was fairly safe to buy from Japan, but this seller has a LOT of Cartier, which seems odd.

I had the same thought about how much cartier they have, and very few items.

Box and inscribing look suspect to me; buyer should consider reputable 3rd party authentication.

For our education, can you explain more about issues you see with the inscription?

For our education, can you explain more about issues you see with the inscription?

The inscription is AWFUL! OMG.

examples of auth engraving/inscription.

Screenshot_20231230_184345_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20231230_184202_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20231230_184305_Chrome.jpg

The inscription is AWFUL! OMG.

examples of auth engraving/inscription.

Screenshot_20231230_184345_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20231230_184202_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20231230_184305_Chrome.jpg

OMG I see it now. Zoomed in on the “0” on the one I posted. I get it now.

OMG I see it now. Zoomed in on the “0” on the one I posted. I get it now.

Yeah, the 0 is a hot f*&king mess haha. I'm surprised bc Japanese 2nd hand jewelry is usually pretty trustworthy, but this one is definitely not legit

Yeah, the 0 is a hot f*&king mess haha. I'm surprised bc Japanese 2nd hand jewelry is usually pretty trustworthy, but this one is definitely not legit

Ok, I feel bad I posted the link, but leaving all this here so people can use it as a reference!

There's definitely a pocket of sellers that are trading on Japan's otherwise stellar reputation and selling fakes, especially vintage designer goods since there's a lower bar of scrutiny for older models (especially vintage Chanel, there's a thriving vintage knockoff scene).

@newtojewels Your earrings are STUNNING!!! I love the richness of the petals. The texture, the diamonds, they're exquisite!

Ok, I feel bad I posted the link, but leaving all this here so people can use it as a reference!

I grabbed some screenshots. The listing will go down eventually, and this is, in fact, a good reference point.

1704026712164.png

1704026728977.jpeg

1704026883727.jpeg

1704026896749.jpeg

1704026776547.jpeg

Someone please tell me what to do w this stone. I've had it favorited forever and I neeeeeeed it (I dont, but I want it!)

Please no spoilers if you recognize the vendor because I don't want it to get sniped.
Screenshot_20240101_090305_Etsy.jpg

Someone please tell me what to do w this stone. I've had it favorited forever and I neeeeeeed it (I dont, but I want it!)

Please no spoilers if you recognize the vendor because I don't want it to get sniped.

That's so weird and delightful. Looks like it has a tall crown. Would be fun for a dome-style pinky ring in a rich, high-karat gold

You MUST buy it! This is one of those stones that is going to haunt you if you don’t. Post the specs after you buy it and then we can give you tons of ideas!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP