shape
carat
color
clarity

Super Ideal 1.73, D, VS2 ASET Opinions (Round)

NavyLanguage828

Rough_Rock
Hey Y’all, first time posting here, and hoping to get opinions on the below diamond and the attached ASET images.

Specs:
Round
1.73 carat
D color
VS2
GIA triple excellent
Med. Fluorescence
Table: 59%
Depth: 61.9%
Measurements: 7.67mm X 7.64mm X 4.73mm
Crown angle: 36.0
Pavilion angle: 41.0
Pavilion: 75%

Video: https://videos.frankdarling.com/diamonds/WSBOQ044DD/video.mp4

Will be set in platinum solitaire.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_8078.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8079.jpeg
    IMG_8079.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_8080.jpeg
    IMG_8080.jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8081.jpeg
    IMG_8081.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_8082.jpeg
    IMG_8082.jpeg
    243.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8083.jpeg
    IMG_8083.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 26
Hey Y’all, first time posting here, and hoping to get opinions on the below diamond and the attached ASET images.

Specs:
Round
1.73 carat
D color
VS2
GIA triple excellent
Med. Fluorescence
Table: 59%
Depth: 61.9%
Measurements: 7.67mm X 7.64mm X 4.73mm
Crown angle: 36.0
Pavilion angle: 41.0
Pavilion: 75%

Video: https://videos.frankdarling.com/diamonds/WSBOQ044DD/video.mp4

Will be set in platinum solitaire.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_8078.jpeg

Should be noted that the jeweler said that they don’t have a great way to photograph the stones in the ASET. I think that’s why it appears every photo is from an awkward angle. Or is the stone tilted? Either way, looks very little like example images found in a search. When asked if supplier had any, they said they did not.

Not a good combo is why they cant get good looking pics of it.
The crown is way to steep for the table size and pavilion angle.

Not a good combo is why they cant get good looking pics of it.
The crown is way to steep for the table size and pavilion angle.

So it’s not worth it?

That is not a well cut stone and definitely not a super ideal cut. Is that what the jeweler told you? If so, find another one because this was is not close to being honest.

That is not a well cut stone and definitely not a super ideal cut. Is that what the jeweler told you? If so, find another one because this was is not close to being honest.

Yes, they’re website calls certain ones “super ideal.” GIA just had it listed as triple excellent (I know they max out at that and there is wiggle room within that classification).

Yes, they’re website calls certain ones “super ideal.” GIA just had it listed as triple excellent (I know they max out at that and there is wiggle room within that classification).

Ugh…*THEIR. Sorry. It’s been a week.

Ugh…*THEIR. Sorry. It’s been a week.

I am sorry you've had a tough week! If a jeweler calls a stone a super ideal cut, ask them to show you how they arrived at that label. It is not enough to say it is; you have to be able to back up that claim. Read through Whiteflash.com to see how they determine super ideal and see if any jeweler you are working with can show you testing and images to back up their claim.

Hello and welcome to PriceScope, NavyLanguage828!
As the others have stated, the steep-steep pavilion and crown angle combo isn't a good one and is resulting in light leakage under the table area.
The ASET images show this as the dark/clear spots...granted, the diamond is tilted in the pictures but I feel that there is a bit of excess leakage, beyond expected "tilt leakage" for a truly ideal or super ideal cut diamond.
Images 8080 and 8081 show it the best, I feel.

Screenshot_20230805-064110-160.png

I've read many, many great testimonies about FD with one exception: the buyer will have to do the legwork to narrow down "true" ideal candidates then see if FD will bring in 3-6 and put them through the paces by assessing and making comparison videos for the buyer.
...doing the legwork would be necessary regardless of where the purchase takes place.

The good news is that you're here and now get an entire armada of prosumers, enthusiasts, and even trade professionals to help you along the way so that you get a diamond that isn't anything short of spectacular.

Last edited:
I am sorry you've had a tough week! If a jeweler calls a stone a super ideal cut, ask them to show you how they arrived at that label. It is not enough to say it is; you have to be able to back up that claim. Read through Whiteflash.com to see how they determine super ideal and see if any jeweler you are working with can show you testing and images to back up their claim.

Thank you, MissGotRocks; I’m very happy the weekend is here.

I appreciate all the responses, y’all!

The thing is, these folks were slow to get me the ASET when I asked and didn’t have one on hand. They had to have a colleague across the country run one that day. The kept telling me it was a triple excellent so it wouldn’t tell me anything I don’t already know. Yikes.

Also, I had another person speculate that the ASET stone was not even the same stone as the one in the picture from the site and the one I saw in person. Thoughts?

Finally, are all the raving reviews about James Allen, White Flash, etc. warranted or are people just getting kickbacks? I picked this dealer I’m having trouble with because I could go see the stones in person (some of them anyway). Buying blind kinda freaks me out.

Hello and welcome to PriceScope, NavyLanguage828!
As the others have stated, the steep-steep pavilion and crown angle combo isn't a good one and is resulting in light leakage under the table area.
The ASET images show this as the dark/clear spots...granted, the diamond is tilted in the pictures but I feel that there is a bit of excess leakage, beyond expected "tilt leakage" for a truly ideal or super ideal cut diamond.
Images 8080 and 8081 show it the best, I feel.

Screenshot_20230805-064110-160.png

I've read many, many great testimonies about FD with one exception: the buyer will have to do the legwork to narrow down "true" ideal candidates then see if FD will bring in 3-6 and put them through the paces by assessing and making comparison videos for the buyer.
...doing the legwork would be necessary regardless of where the purchase takes place.

The good news is that you're here and now get an entire armada of prosumers, enthusiasts, and even trade professionals to help you along the way so that you get a diamond that isn't anything short of spectacular.

Thank you for the very detailed response and the welcome, DejaWiz!! I’m excited to have found such an active and knowledgeable group.

I asked in my response to MissGotRocks if the assessment that the ASET image is a totally different diamond, do you think it is possible?

Good to hear about Frank Darling. I really wanted to like them. I had a good friend but from them, but he bought lab grown…I’m kinda mistrusting the company now, but I don’t know if that’s entirely fair…

If you want 'the best of the best', i.e. ideal or super ideal you will need to work with vendors who actually either have the stone in house or access to those type stones. I doubt your jeweler is one of them. Look at the stones on offer through Continental Diamond, Brian Gavin Diamond, Whiteflash. Come back and let the folks here know (and rank as most important to least important): Color, Clarity, Price of stone; Size of stone.

There are other vendors that offer beautiful stone without the "Super Ideal" designation but are still much better stones than the one your were originally offered. If you provide the 'details' I mentioned folks here will give you suggestions (and several of those will send you the stone to consider/return for something else).

Thank you for the very detailed response and the welcome, DejaWiz!! I’m excited to have found such an active and knowledgeable group.

I asked in my response to MissGotRocks if the assessment that the ASET image is a totally different diamond, do you think it is possible?

Good to hear about Frank Darling. I really wanted to like them. I had a good friend but from them, but he bought lab grown…I’m kinda mistrusting the company now, but I don’t know if that’s entirely fair…

You don't need to to mistrust them...you just need to narrow down your top 3-6 diamonds with the help of this community so that you can have FD bring them in and provide you with ASET Scope images and comparison videos in order to make your final selection. :)

41/36 PA/CA combo I'd say the ASET is probably from that diamond.

We can help scour their inventory (and even recommend some other sellers, if you're open to at least checking out your options) to help you finalize a diamond that will have a higher tier of optics.

Just need to know your desired carat weight range, color and clarity grades that you're looking at, and budget cap for just the loose diamond.

HI:

And to consider/decide whether you "want/desire" a diamond with fluorescence.

cheers--Sharon

Thank you, MissGotRocks; I’m very happy the weekend is here.

I appreciate all the responses, y’all!

The thing is, these folks were slow to get me the ASET when I asked and didn’t have one on hand. They had to have a colleague across the country run one that day. The kept telling me it was a triple excellent so it wouldn’t tell me anything I don’t already know. Yikes.

Also, I had another person speculate that the ASET stone was not even the same stone as the one in the picture from the site and the one I saw in person. Thoughts?

Finally, are all the raving reviews about James Allen, White Flash, etc. warranted or are people just getting kickbacks? I picked this dealer I’m having trouble with because I could go see the stones in person (some of them anyway). Buying blind kinda freaks me out.

There are no kickbacks. We are just diamond lovers but stand to gain nothing financially from participating in this forum. I can vouch for Whiteflash and their super ideal cut diamonds. I have had nine of them through the years and love all of them. Check out their detailed website. Returns are easy and their trade up policy is a dream! James Allen sells diamonds in different cut qualities but none super ideal cut.

There are no kickbacks. We are just diamond lovers but stand to gain nothing financially from participating in this forum. I can vouch for Whiteflash and their super ideal cut diamonds. I have had nine of them through the years and love all of them. Check out their detailed website. Returns are easy and their trade up policy is a dream! James Allen sells diamonds in different cut qualities but none super ideal cut.

Sorry for the unintended slight against y’all! I didn’t mean in this forum at all, but rather the various websites offering to help people with diamond education with their articles, etc. In fact, one outright stated that they get “credit” for their referrals. But aside from that, those companies seemed to be everywhere so was honestly wondering if they’re that good or if it was another motivating factor. That’s what I meant; apologies again as I didn’t not mean here!

Definitely been having a look at White Flash! They do an amazing job with those loose stone 360 videos. If they actually look like that on real life, I’m impressed.

Sorry for the unintended slight against y’all! I didn’t mean in this forum at all, but rather the various websites offering to help people with diamond education with their articles, etc. In fact, one outright stated that they get “credit” for their referrals. But aside from that, those companies seemed to be everywhere so was honestly wondering if they’re that good or if it was another motivating factor. That’s what I meant; apologies again as I didn’t not mean here!

Definitely been having a look at White Flash! They do an amazing job with those loose stone 360 videos. If they actually look like that on real life, I’m impressed.

No worries! You aren’t the first that wondered that and no offense taken. Their diamonds are just fabulous. Their customer service is top notch as well. Feel free to reach out to them about any diamond you might be interested in and they will be happy to help. No pressure sales tactics either and they are happy to provide videos of one or more diamonds for comparison. They do indeed look that good in real life! Click on my avatar picture and enlarge it and see for yourself!

No worries - PM/DM is disabled on this site and affiliate links are forbidden: nobody here makes so much as a penny from recommendations.

If you want to further expand your search to diamonds that have *proven* pinnacle optical performance, then look no further than Victor Canera, Whiteflash, Brian Gavin, Continental Diamond, and JannPaul.
Remember: the policies and programs offered are also part of the package deal, so compare *everything* so that you can determine which is best for your situation and needs...not just on the day that you purchase, but how you will be taken care of in the future.

"Super Ideal Cut" diamonds are not an accident...they are purposely planned, cut, and polished for the intended outcome. More rough is lost, more labor is expended: the illusionary misconception is that they cost more, but reality states that the higher rough loss, high labor expense, and critical vetting means that they will trade higher for sellers that pay to put them in their inventory and offer for sale.

There are so many things that can be wrong within the 3D space of a diamond that either isn't checked for or isn't disclosed on a grading report.
You will get what you pay for.

Last edited:
You don't need to to mistrust them...you just need to narrow down your top 3-6 diamonds with the help of this community so that you can have FD bring them in and provide you with ASET Scope images and comparison videos in order to make your final selection. :)

41/36 PA/CA combo I'd say the ASET is probably from that diamond.

We can help scour their inventory (and even recommend some other sellers, if you're open to at least checking out your options) to help you finalize a diamond that will have a higher tier of optics.

Just need to know your desired carat weight range, color and clarity grades that you're looking at, and budget cap for just the loose diamond.

Thanks!

Would it be best to post those desired specs here in this thread or in another post ?

No worries! You aren’t the first that wondered that and no offense taken. Their diamonds are just fabulous. Their customer service is top notch as well. Feel free to reach out to them about any diamond you might be interested in and they will be happy to help. No pressure sales tactics either and they are happy to provide videos of one or more diamonds for comparison. They do indeed look that good in real life! Click on my avatar picture and enlarge it and see for yourself!

I’m liking the sound of all that! And I had a look, wow, that’s some serious ice right there!

At the yours, DejaWiz, and others, I fully intend to enlist the help of this community on finding that one that I can’t let get away (well, the shiny “one” that I intend on putting on the “real one’s” finger ha). Would you recommend doing that here or starting a fresh thread?

HI:

And to consider/decide whether you "want/desire" a diamond with fluorescence.

cheers--Sharon

Hi Canuk-gal!

That’s actually something I go back and forth on. I am by no means an expert, so totally welcome to suggestions.

What I clearly do not want is fluorescence that produces a milky stone when hit with UV. So buying sight unseen in person, I always considered fluorescence to be too much a a gamble. On the other hand, I have seen H color diamonds with medium fluorescence that actually looked less yellow. Whether or not that was me imagining, it sure seemed to be that way. This was one I saw in person.

I’m liking the sound of all that! And I had a look, wow, that’s some serious ice right there!

At the yours, DejaWiz, and others, I fully intend to enlist the help of this community on finding that one that I can’t let get away (well, the shiny “one” that I intend on putting on the “real one’s” finger ha). Would you recommend doing that here or starting a fresh thread?

Either way. If you have some diamonds you want comment on, you could start a new thread about them. You can also tell us your budget and size, color and clarity preferences. People will be happy to find some diamonds for you.

Last edited:
Here’s what I’m looking for, please tell me if it’s a unicorn and I need to adjust my expectations (or budget). Thank y’all so much!

Cut: I’m looking for that amazing light performance. I would love for this diamond to really show off in this sense. I believe this would be my top priority. I just don’t want a stone to look dull. Super Ideal or Ideal.

Carat: Was really wanting something around 1.75ish. I am aware that cut dimensions impact actual size so hence the “ish.”

Clarity: Eye clean. Nothing nasty that will decrease structural integrity. No dark nasties right on the table. I think that would typically put me at VS2 and above.

Color: This is a hard one for me because I am super color sensitive and have been able to tell color grades and shock/school some jewelers in person by it. However, because I will be setting in platinum (probably with pavé), what I’m really concerned about is it looking truly icy in that white metal. I wouldn’t want it to look “dingy” for lack of a better word. I’ve been looking at everything from H-D.

Fluorescence: As replied to Canuk-gal, I’ve steered away from it for fear of milky-ness. However, majority of the diamonds I have seen in person with medium or strong didn’t exhibit that milky look. I am open to discussion and flex on this.

Budget: ideally around 18k for the loose diamond.

Jewelers: White Flash, Frank Darling, Brian Gavin (though that seems to be outside my budget per a cursory look), or others that are suggested here.

Again, very open to suggestions and guidance…and constructive feedback; please don’t rough me up too much or laugh too hard if I’m asking for too much and paying too little though! :) I’ve been looking/reading/getting stones hands on for wayyy too long, but still have much to learn.

THANK Y’ALL

Found this one that checks your boxes for color and clarity but falls short on size. Look at the wire price.

This one drops to G/VS2 for 1k more.

This one closer to size and the G color will be white. Your budget will not allow you all of your criteria but you can always adjust any of them. I linked these super ideals from Whiteflash as you seem to really like the cut of their diamonds.

Last edited:
Found this one that checks your boxes for color and clarity but falls short on size. Look at the wire price.

This one drops to G/VS2 for 1k more.

This one closer to size and the G color will be white. Your budget will not allow you all of your criteria but you can always adjust any of them. I linked these super ideals from Whiteflash as you seem to really like the cut of their diamonds.

Thanks for this! I actually have both of those bookmarked and was looking at them this morning! Too funny.

Like I said yesterday, those White Flash 360’s put me in a state of awe.

I definitely recognize the reality of my budget constraints and that, with the exception of budget, an increase in one parameter results in a decrease in another. I’m just trying not to get obsessed with one of the C’s to a degree that produces no tangible benefits (I.e., a diamond that is heavier, but negligibly larger than one lighter and less expensive).

Anyway, I’m likely to have more questions soon, but in the meantime very much appreciate any and all pointers or suggestions for diamonds! Thanks again!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP