shape
carat
color
clarity

The All New Ladies-In-Waiting Club!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Ginger!!

At last someone that understands me PERFECTLY. No my situation was even worst then that. I am the oldest, and unfortunately the stupidest! I live in Quebec where 80% of med students are accepted at 18 yrs old (straight out of high school for you guys). I was a terrible student, barely made it into college, never mind med school. Both my younger brother and sister are in med school. I did a Bachelor''s degree in bio, then a Master''s degree in bio and was FINALLY accepted into med school this summer (I grew brains somehow..I''m not sure how). I deferred this year because I was sick of school but starting in September. During these two degrees, my parents were so embarrassed at my lack of success, they told their friends that I had dropped out of school and worked at the GAP!!!! (Better to not try then to try and fail
19.gif
. I can see the whole "fire in the eyes". My parents bribed my younger brother into medicine with a car!! They bought him a 2004 ACURA RSX (type s), fully loaded and delivered to the house the day he sent in his deposit. Problem is, he hates people, medicine and is misreable!

Well you bad girl marrying out of culture
11.gif
. My boyfriend is french canadian. And I''ve been with him for 8.5 years (since I was 16). Oh my God they hated him. Probably plotted his death for about 4 years. But I just refused to give in. And now they LOVE him. Totally. Last year when he moved into his own apartment, my mother (the real evil in the house) bought him the furnishings for his living room! It''s insane. HOWEVER, I know that when it comes to engagement time, they are going to go the traditional route (i.e his parents will come with the gifts to house and ask for the marriage) His parents are all relaxed, they love that its a different culture. They are all for it! I''d probably do a Viet Catholic wedding when it comes time, but I really want to wear the white dress, so we''ll incorperate the two. My parents know we are getting married one day, and they think its great, they really feel that they would be gaining a son. But I''m not ready for the engagement yet. I''ve worked so hard for med, I want to enjoy it for a while.

So about you !! So exciting. Is you future husband to be a doctor? Did you have the whole marry a) doctor b) dentist c) pharmacist d) engineer and the newly acceptable category of e) computer scientist. I heard that my whole life and it cracks me up. My boyfriend is an engineer. So I made the list
3.gif
. And how did you manange to get your parents to say that it was alright? And have his parents agreed to do business with yours? I think what really helped was my younger sister started dating a Viet guy and they hate him. Really. It''s terrible so they realize that Viet does not = ideal husband.

thanks njc!!! that looks like a nice TV to me, of course i know as much about TVs as my bf knows about diamonds!!!!
2.gif

JCJD- Thanks for your advice. I only feel comfortable saying something like that to her because she knows that I want to have a future with her and for her to have our children. I just want to keep something a secret!
9.gif
Plus we have only been dating a little less than 2 years, I don''t think she''s getting too anxious yet.

Date: 12/3/2004 3:27:10 PM
Author: gingerBcookie
Here is a pic of the vatche that htey replicated! Isn''t it almost exactly the same!! The vatche is almost $2,000 also for just the setting, but it would be vatche instead of blue nile...OR you can call WF and see how much they would charge you since your ring would be smaller and with a smaller diamond (this one is 1 ct). EEK! I KNOW someone on here has the WF replica...i just can''t seem to find the post! I think I remeber the thread mentioning that WF was a little cheaper. I''ll keep looking.
The ring that JCJD posted was the x-prong version with the channel set diamonds, which from Vatche is about $2000 or maybe less?? for an original...

I remember someone tried to get WF to replicate the royal crown with channel set diamonds (.10c if I remember correctly) anyways, he thought that it turned out terrible (and I agreed) and he went with the Vatche Royal Crown instead.

Oh ya, JCJD, before you decide on a setting, make sure you see it in person and that you really like it.. I have found that searching for a setting is SO much harder than the diamond itself! I''ve seen some settings that I thought were really nice online and then I saw them in person and thought they looked cheap and manufactured (but the price tag wasn''t cheap)!

I think you can get a ring with channel set diamonds for a lot less than $2000 also!

Good Luck!

madarski, yeah, I was feeling pretty bleh yesterday, like my head was all stuffed with cotton and a little elf was inside doing jumping jacks.
14.gif
That means it''s time for a massage, so I''m scheduled for 10am tomorrow!!
9.gif

appletini--first date blooper, okay! So Kyle and I are sitting outside Starbucks nursing our frozen drinks, chatting about all the inane stuff you chat about on the first date, and he asks me what kind of music I like. "Well, pretty much anything," I say, "except Blink 182. I HATE Blink 182. All their music sounds the same."

He just looks at me for a second, stunned, and just as I start to get the feeling that maybe that was the wrong thing to say, he says, "Blink''s my favorite band."

Come to find out later, he''s practically a groupie. Oops.
40.gif
9.gif

Are we all waiting for the SAME GUY to propose to us"??? LOL

Actually, Daniel DOES want a watch, he things it would be cool to have a Tag or David Yurman (have I mentioned yet exactly how much I love DY jewelry??? fortunately I have a grandmother who is OCD about buying expensive jewelry for people:) )
Ok, anyway, he doesn''t want a Rolex, well maybe a Submariner, but I''m not a huge Rolex fan. I got one for my 21st Bday, and honestly...it hasn''t worked a day in its life. It losed 5 minutes a day. And it''s a bit too, oh I don''t know...just not thrilled with it (WOW I sound like a brat! lol). It was a nice gift, but not what I would have chosen - I am still deeply appreciative - is that better? But yeah, he does want a nice watch, but I think that is mroe b/c I have edged him towards that idea byu saying years ago "I am going to get you a Tag watch for our wedding". Maybe that was a shove not an edge.

We''ve never talked about it for a wedding gift but he is OBSESSED with 52" TVs. He talks about it all the time. How it would FIT into our 1400 sq ft house, I don''t know, but he sure wants one. I might have to transfer my thinking towards that, I am sure HE would like it more than a watch...although the masage chair idea, hmmmm...I know I would love that:)

Date: 12/3/2004 3:36:23 PM
Author: fortheloveofdiamonds

Date: 12/3/2004 3:27:10 PM
Author: gingerBcookie
Here is a pic of the vatche that htey replicated! Isn''t it almost exactly the same!! The vatche is almost $2,000 also for just the setting, but it would be vatche instead of blue nile...OR you can call WF and see how much they would charge you since your ring would be smaller and with a smaller diamond (this one is 1 ct). EEK! I KNOW someone on here has the WF replica...i just can''t seem to find the post! I think I remeber the thread mentioning that WF was a little cheaper. I''ll keep looking.
The ring that JCJD posted was the x-prong version with the channel set diamonds, which from Vatche is about $2000 or maybe less?? for an original...

I remember someone tried to get WF to replicate the royal crown with channel set diamonds (.10c if I remember correctly) anyways, he thought that it turned out terrible (and I agreed) and he went with the Vatche Royal Crown instead.

Oh ya, JCJD, before you decide on a setting, make sure you see it in person and that you really like it.. I have found that searching for a setting is SO much harder than the diamond itself! I''ve seen some settings that I thought were really nice online and then I saw them in person and thought they looked cheap and manufactured (but the price tag wasn''t cheap)!

I think you can get a ring with channel set diamonds for a lot less than $2000 also!

Good Luck!

yeah... now I remember. they replicated the vatche x prong channel set (similar to the blue niole one jcjd posted) instead of the royal crown channel set (which is the one I posted) that he had requested. They offered to re-make it i think but he decided to go ahead and order the actual vatche instead. I think the royal crown channel set is more similar to the walmart ring cuz the shank tapers, even though it has 6 instead of 4 prongs. the x-prong is the one that looks like the blue nile one...so JCJD...you like two vatche look alikes!

Date: 12/3/2004 3:30:31 PM
Author: allycat0303
Ginger!!

At last someone that understands me PERFECTLY. No my situation was even worst then that. I am the oldest, and unfortunately the stupidest! I live in Quebec where 80% of med students are accepted at 18 yrs old (straight out of high school for you guys). I was a terrible student, barely made it into college, never mind med school. Both my younger brother and sister are in med school. I did a Bachelor''s degree in bio, then a Master''s degree in bio and was FINALLY accepted into med school this summer (I grew brains somehow..I''m not sure how). I deferred this year because I was sick of school but starting in September. During these two degrees, my parents were so embarrassed at my lack of success, they told their friends that I had dropped out of school and worked at the GAP!!!! (Better to not try then to try and fail
19.gif
. I can see the whole ''fire in the eyes''. My parents bribed my younger brother into medicine with a car!! They bought him a 2004 ACURA RSX (type s), fully loaded and delivered to the house the day he sent in his deposit. Problem is, he hates people, medicine and is misreable!

Well you bad girl marrying out of culture
11.gif
. My boyfriend is french canadian. And I''ve been with him for 8.5 years (since I was 16). Oh my God they hated him. Probably plotted his death for about 4 years. But I just refused to give in. And now they LOVE him. Totally. Last year when he moved into his own apartment, my mother (the real evil in the house) bought him the furnishings for his living room! It''s insane. HOWEVER, I know that when it comes to engagement time, they are going to go the traditional route (i.e his parents will come with the gifts to house and ask for the marriage) His parents are all relaxed, they love that its a different culture. They are all for it! I''d probably do a Viet Catholic wedding when it comes time, but I really want to wear the white dress, so we''ll incorperate the two. My parents know we are getting married one day, and they think its great, they really feel that they would be gaining a son. But I''m not ready for the engagement yet. I''ve worked so hard for med, I want to enjoy it for a while.

So about you !! So exciting. Is you future husband to be a doctor? Did you have the whole marry a) doctor b) dentist c) pharmacist d) engineer and the newly acceptable category of e) computer scientist. I heard that my whole life and it cracks me up. My boyfriend is an engineer. So I made the list
3.gif
. And how did you manange to get your parents to say that it was alright? And have his parents agreed to do business with yours? I think what really helped was my younger sister started dating a Viet guy and they hate him. Really. It''s terrible so they realize that Viet does not = ideal husband.
omg...ok we gotta talk! my bf is an engineer also....oops! i have to go...will finish this later!

gi_DV-534_m.jpg
This is the channel set vatche x-prong. The version of it that will hold a .5 carat diamond, has .25ct total weight side diamonds. Whiteflash has the setting for $1685 in PLT.

I saw two really pretty e-rings on two different girls at my two differnt jobs today. today.. They were actually very similar to one another, one just had a bigger center stone. They were round diamond in pave bands, but the bands were sooooooo thin and pretty and sparkly.. I'd say LESS than 2mm wide. They were just sooo pretty. The center stones were both relatively small (one was maybe .6 and the other .3 or .4.. from my best guess. But they were just delicate and pretty. I of course ADORE my e-ring and its big beautifull.. but delicate it is not.. Do you think I can have TWO e-rings, a little one and a big one? And I can change depending on my mood?
emteeth.gif
. Prolly not.. huh?

Melissa

ARGH I am so frustrated. Though not with Daniel
10.gif

Anyway, ok 1st the good part. I talked to him tonight and asked him what time frame he was thinking. He said not much longer. I said what does that mean, you''ve said it for three years. He said no I really mean not long. I said well to me not long is a month. He said a month or two. So that''s good. I mean, maybe not that quick, but at least he is thinking shortish term. (Although now that I think about it if he doesn''t even get around to ordering he''s just going to get distracted and I will still be on that darn list in a year - I just got that kind of cold, freaked out feeling I get when I think about this and think it''s never going to happen. Ok, ignoring it. He was nice, it is a good sign. I am not going to make up issues right now!)

So, the part that is frustrating me. He has money saved up to buy me a ring. We also have credit card debt. I feel REALLY guilty using money that could help us un-debt ourselves (I use made up words a lot just for fun) for my ring. I feel selfish. But on the other hand - I don''t want an upgrade ring one day. I want THIS ring to be MY ring forever. So...I don''t know. Is it wrong that I want a decent sized stone instead of getting a smaller one or a sapphire or something less expensive? Part of me feels like I should just send him to Walmart, but part of me feels like I have waited a freaking long time for this and I deserve it. Or is that selfish? Blah. I am so confused! (BTW - the "expensive" ring I want is only $2800, we''re not talking something massive).

I have got to get a grip. I am going to get in my tub, turn on the jets and light candles. And NOT THINK ABOUT ENGAGEMENT RINGS!!!

Kimber,

Well a time frame is good! And one or two months will fly by really fast. I think that 2800 $ is very reasonable for something that you are going to wear the rest of your life (especially if there is no upgrade). Don''t feel selfish. It is probably the most significant piece of jewelery you''ll get in your entire life.

Yeah, I've left it up to Sam to choose what he wants as an engagement gift when I get the ring. So far I think he's set on an egagement armchair, since I "suggested" we not include his horrible/beloved green plaid la-z-boy when we moved to Denver. He thinks a fancy watch would just be another excuse to have to go to a jewelry store with me! Though I had a dream where he says "You know, I'm starting to really like diamonds and I think I'd like for our engagement too." Yeah, not exactly
28.gif

Anyway, please allow me to vent for just a moment...So I've finally picked the setting and I'm not changing my mind (yeah right) Anyway, I was working covertly with his mother to find out some prices for me through jeweler friends she has, cuz I thought if I asked him to do it, he'd think I was "pushing the issue to much"...but I also know Sam's been talking to her in the rare moments I'm not around. So yesterday her jeweler friend calls to get my ring size and other specifics "since I know you guys want to get this order started within a few days and finished asap." Uhhh- we do? I mean, of course we do! ASAP works for me!

So....either his mother seriously misinterpreted what I asked her to find out for me (just prices) and she has jumped the gun and I am going to be in big trouble in the near future, OR something's in the works that I'm completely unaware of
1.gif

crossing fingers, Kat

Denver, maybe it would be worth it to--without letting her spoil a possible surprise?--clarify w/ your future M.I.L.?

This thread is making me realize that the boys need one called "Show me the plasma"
1.gif

denver--that could either be really exciting, or you''re getting in a LOT of trouble!!
10.gif

On the plus side, even if it is the "getting in trouble" side, now he knows exactly what you want, right???
9.gif

Hi gals

Denverkat you must be so excited!! Your MIL is a gem to work with you! I have known some MILs that get involved and wind up picking the ring themselves..and that can be a little scary.

And Kimber, good for you for getting a timeline. Now you can relax and enjoy the process!!

I''m trying my best to relax but my BF is at the jeweler''s RIGHT NOW looking at stones... yay!

Thanks again blueroses for sending those dream pics.

thinking of you all!

-lovey
19.gif

Last night I had an engagement nightmare. I reall life when my man gets home (two weeks from today!) he''s taking me out for a fancy dinner to celebrate the missed b-day and anniversary. Well in my dream last night he decides to take me to a random Russian restaurant instead and proposes there. I think I had this dream b/c the man that sits next to me at work has a Russian wife and when he talks to her on the phone he suddenly gets a Russianlike accent so that she can understand him better. And I was hanging out with co-workers last night for an unofficial Christmas gathering and they all kept asking where my man was, and how they all wanted to give him a talk to encourage the proposal.

Okay new development we are currently talking on IM and he said that all he is doing on his trip is sleeping, working, and eating. So I asked "What about thinking about marrying me?" and he said "yes
1.gif
" so then I said "I hope you want to start that process soon" and he says "yes I do." And I ask "are you" and he says "can''t say, has to be a surprise" I then tell him "thats not fair" and he says "lets just say the wheels are in motion"

DenverKat: that is really cool about the MIL help...its great that the two of you have a great relationship. I think he''s really planning it b.c the mom wouldn''t have just told the jeweler to go ahead and do it.

Hello ladies...

If welcomed I would love to join your "ladies in waiting" list... I finally feel like we are on our way... I have been an observer on this site for a while, and spoke with Reena quite a bit about her dealings with Leon Mege... well today my boyfriend and I took our stone (a family heirloom gift from his mother) to Leon..and designed our ring! I am so excited.. it is going to truly be a beautiful ring! I want to thank all of you, for all of your posts have at one point or another been helpful to me in my search!! My ring should be finished by the end of January, which is pretty soon, but even after that he is going to make me wait for some surprise proposal... God I don''t know how I will stand the wait!!

happysnowbunny

I suppose you all want to hear the specifics!! The stone we have is an oval -- but from about 40 years ago, and looks more of a cushion. Inspection by other jewellers as well as Leon has told us that it is in fact an oval, but with "high shoulders" (whatever that means) and slightly squared corners. It looks like a cushion. Anyways, the stone is a gift from my boyfriend''s mother, so the setting was sortof my project to make it my own. There is an emerald ring on Leon''s website that I love-- ( I can''t seem to upload pictures to this forum so I am not going to try again) so it is going to be like this ring, with micro-pave around the band, 3 sides, and on 4 sortof "arms" going up to the stone, and a halo around the stone. (Oh, the center stone is about 1.6... it will about ctw 1.6 plus anywhere .8-1.2 he says...)

ok I''m needing to hear your whole story!! Sounds like you had a great experience w/Leon. My BF and I are really considering going to him for a setting..he does such great work. Did you know what you wanted before you sat down w/him?

BTW your stone sounds magnificent...and as an heirloom all the more meaningful to you and your future fiance!!

Did you leave your stone with Leon? The reason I ask is that we were thinking of getting a temp setting while the "real" one is being crafted.

Congratulations!!!
1.gif

We did leave our stone with Leon -- he is fairly flexible on this for the period before he actually begins your setting but said that he does need it with him for the entire 3 wks or so it takes him to make the setting... honestly I think if you are even thinking of Leon you should meet with him, but look at other stuff first, b/c then, after you see his work, everything else will look like crap. It sounds strange, but just wait and see, his work is so amazing!! But I do think you should have a good idea of what you want before you go in... in our meeting with him I was very glad that I had done my homework and could understand the technical stuff -- he even said he was impressed with my understanding, if you can beleive that!?! But I do not think he is your first stop... I think he is where to go when you have looked around and decided somewhat what you want....

Ok, here''s a question for you guys -- so I am having this e-ring made by Leon, will be amazing, but will not be able to wear band flush to ring. Fine, will wear band on other hand... but here is issue. Ring size on right hand is 1/2 size bigger... so will have e-ring made to fit left hand, then when get married (ahhh!!) will wear band on l. hand, and switch e-ring to r. hand but will be too small!! thoughts?? should i have e-ring made to fit right hand and it will just be a bit big during engagement (which will be less than a yr)..??????

Date: 12/4/2004 6:42:12 PM
Author: happysnowbunny
Ok, here''s a question for you guys -- so I am having this e-ring made by Leon, will be amazing, but will not be able to wear band flush to ring. Fine, will wear band on other hand... but here is issue. Ring size on right hand is 1/2 size bigger... so will have e-ring made to fit left hand, then when get married (ahhh!!) will wear band on l. hand, and switch e-ring to r. hand but will be too small!! thoughts?? should i have e-ring made to fit right hand and it will just be a bit big during engagement (which will be less than a yr)..??????

or you could do what reena is thinking of doing...wear your w-band on your right hand and just have it sized for the right hand. You can have your FI slip on to your right hand during the ceremony and it will be as though it has always belonged there.

gingerBcookie
goldengirl
1215n
tlmd
njc
LaurenThePartier
jenwill
palmbaybabe
denverkat
yanekie25
psuheather
twinkletoes
ootthibo
pokerface
blueroses
madarski
VAgal13
Brocksgirl24
allycat0303
aeli
Morticia
icekid
LuvthatSparkle
Kberly
KimberJEB
kit0110
Queenofhearts
susiQ
Dodger Gurl
honeynut
stacy11101
goldielocks
Erin
Dani
flyerfan
book_of_love
appletini
lovey
LittleOne
Shay
Croi
happysnowbunny

Welcome, snowbunny! :) How exciting that your ring is in its final stages...in just a few short weeks your soon-to-be-fiance will have it in his hot little hands...and I''m sure he''ll enjoy making you sweat out the wait, like all of ''em!
2.gif
Is it one of these rings?

r174-18W.jpg

r116-01W.jpg

r330-06W.jpg

r036-09W.jpg

r043-02W.jpg

r319-31W.jpg

I''ll bet happysnowbunny is getting this one! snowbunny - wear your e-ring on your left hand always, and get a wedding band to wear on your right hand. In many countries, the wedding band is worn on the right hand
2.gif
I always think my fancy rings are safer on my left hand anyway...I bump them less
41.gif

Congrats on a special stone and a beautiful ring!

golden_eyes

hmm, okay, I read it to mean emerald as in the stone, I didn''t even consider an EC. :)

No matter, that''s a good guess too! I bet it''s either the one you posted, or my #3.
2.gif

God I love all of those rings!! Goldengirl it is like your #3... you were right! I meant Emerald... though mine will have a diamond in the center. What I love about the ring is the side view... there is another picture on his website of the side view... it is on the first page when you click on "gallery"... when i try to upload it says there is an error and i don''t know why!! so mine will be like this, but with micropave around the band intead of the fishtail that is shown on this one... and a diamond in the middle instead of the emerald : ) so excited i can''t stand it!!! And yes, as someone mentioned before... he will pick it up when it is ready and make me wait until some special surprise moment... i just hope he doesn''t make me wait too long!!!

I was actually thinking of just keeping it on the left hand for exactly the same reason you mention... I just feel like it will get banged around less... but just thought that was strange... like i will always appear "engaged" rather than "married"... does anyone else know about this... traditions elsewhere in the world of wearing rings on the right hand??

snowbunny, the reason you can''t upload these pics is because they''re on the internet, not on your computer. Click the little button with a picture of a mountain (above the text box when you''re composing a reply) and it will ask for the address of the photo. Then you put in the address of where the photo''s located (you find this by right-clicking the photo on Leon''s site) and it will insert the photo into your reply.

If you saved the pic to your computer and are having trouble uploading, odds are either the file is too big or it needs a different name--pricescope requires a unique name for each uploaded file so if it''s called "emerald.jpg" and someone has already uploaded an "emerald.jpg" it will give you an error.

Hope that helps!
1.gif

maybe this works?!?

snowbunny.jpg

yay, it worked.. there it is!! i had the files on my cpu, but i guess it was too big : )

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP