shape
carat
color
clarity

The LIW Small Talk Thread

Date: 2/26/2010 5:31:23 PM
Author: vc10um
ARGH. PS ate my post.

Anyway, WL, I''m hoping you''re right...cuz I''m kinda banking on that, lol.
I''m always right, ask J.

Elro - GIVE ME THAT BUNNEH!
39.gif

Date: 2/26/2010 5:26:56 PM
Author: princesss

Date: 2/26/2010 5:19:15 PM
One of these days, I will not be so attached to 'things'...today is not that day. Tomorrow doesn't look so great, either.
38.gif
I always tell myself I'm going to get ruthless the next time I move.

Then I move, panic, and throw everything into a box. Oh well.

I'm ok with most things, but I never get rid of books! I love keeping books. I've been told that I'll get over this after I move a few more times and the books get heavier and heavier.

DH doesn't have a lot of stuff either, except for sports equipment. We now have a big ol' canoe and as much as I love canoeing, we really don't have the room for it and we haven't used it in the year we've had it. He also wants to take my dad's windsurfing gear - no idea where that will go. Thank goodness we at least have a garage and a small basement area. I just wish my car could go in the garage instead of his :pout:

Seriously, what do people do without a basement and garage???
33.gif

Date: 2/26/2010 5:34:00 PM
Author: elrohwen

One of these days, I will not be so attached to ''things''...today is not that day. Tomorrow doesn''t look so great, either.
38.gif
I always tell myself I''m going to get ruthless the next time I move.

I''m ok with most things, but I never get rid of books! I love keeping books. I''ve been told that I''ll get over this after I move a few more times and the books get heavier and heavier.

DH doesn''t have a lot of stuff either, except for sports equipment. We now have a big ol'' canoe and as much as I love canoeing, we really don''t have the room for it and we haven''t used it in the year we''ve had it. He also wants to take my dad''s windsurfing gear - no idea where that will go. Thank goodness we at least have a garage and a small basement area. I just wish my car could go in the garage instead of his :pout:

33.gif
Wait, what? His car is in the garage and yours isn''t? Where do you live? I''m changing this arrangement NOW!

Oo, just found out we're having a sleepover. DH's two work friends still don't have power, so they're coming over to stay with us. Yay for drinking! I hope our TMNT beer pong table makes an appearance.

Date: 2/26/2010 5:36:01 PM
Author: winelover23

I''m ok with most things, but I never get rid of books! I love keeping books. I''ve been told that I''ll get over this after I move a few more times and the books get heavier and heavier.

DH doesn''t have a lot of stuff either, except for sports equipment. We now have a big ol'' canoe and as much as I love canoeing, we really don''t have the room for it and we haven''t used it in the year we''ve had it. He also wants to take my dad''s windsurfing gear - no idea where that will go. Thank goodness we at least have a garage and a small basement area. I just wish my car could go in the garage instead of his :pout:

33.gif
Wait, what? His car is in the garage and yours isn''t? Where do you live? I''m changing this arrangement NOW!
I somehow agreed to this?? His car is newer ... he promised to always clean the snow off of mine ... I really don''t know what I was thinking. I think he drugged me and then tricked me when I was messed up.

One of these days, I will not be so attached to ''things''...today is not that day. Tomorrow doesn''t look so great, either.
38.gif
I always tell myself I''m going to get ruthless the next time I move.

33.gif
Same. I''m on a building my own furniture kick, and the nightstands I want to build will just be mini bookcases.

Date: 2/26/2010 5:39:37 PM

Same. I''m on a building my own furniture kick, and the nightstands I want to build will just be mini bookcases.
That is awesome. Do you have any pictures of stuff you''ve made? I want a house just so we can own power tools other than a drill! Haha.

Date: 2/26/2010 5:38:04 PM

Date: 2/26/2010 5:36:01 PM

33.gif
I somehow agreed to this?? His car is newer ... he promised to always clean the snow off of mine ... I really don''t know what I was thinking. I think he drugged me and then tricked me when I was messed up.
Ya I think it''s time to renegotiate your contract. I will represent you. Newer car or not, the girl parks in the garage. Again, it''s just the rules! If he insists his car be parked in the garage then you get to drive it.

Sweet party at Elro''s!

Date: 2/26/2010 5:41:12 PM

That is awesome. Do you have any pictures of stuff you''ve made? I want a house just so we can own power tools other than a drill! Haha.
When I was in 6th grade, I asked for a jigsaw for Christmas. I LOVED shop class!!!
36.gif

I want a garage for projects and storage. A wants a place for his tools and to tinker with his Mustang.

Jeez you guys are chatty kathys today!!

FINALLY back from meetings. Bleh!

Step one of name change = complete! Green card app is in the mail!!
36.gif
9.gif
32.gif

So far it''s too cold, but I''m a huge fan of Knock-Off Wood (can''t link because it''s a blog, but a quick Google search will do it for you) and want to build the Farmhouse Bed, the basic bookshelves, and then mini bookshelves as nightstands. Also, when we get a new TV I want to build the console table for the bedroom (with shelves), and maybe the desk she just posted plans for.

Obsessed? Me? Only a little. I''m just happy I can finally get furniture I like, in stains that I like, within my budget, and without MDF.

Date: 2/26/2010 5:45:10 PM
Author: sunnyd

36.gif
9.gif
32.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Date: 2/26/2010 5:46:46 PM

So far it''s too cold, but I''m a huge fan of Knock-Off Wood (can''t link because it''s a blog, but a quick Google search will do it for you) and want to build the Farmhouse Bed, the basic bookshelves, and then mini bookshelves as nightstands. Also, when we get a new TV I want to build the console table for the bedroom (with shelves), and maybe the desk she just posted plans for.

Obsessed? Me? Only a little. I''m just happy I can finally get furniture I like, in stains that I like, within my budget, and without MDF.
I hate MDF. I hate being poor and having to buy it. At least I was able to limit the amount of it in our house to a pair of bookcases and one or two other things. I''d rather have veneer over real wood than MDF, even if veneer isn''t much better.

Date: 2/26/2010 5:45:10 PM

36.gif
9.gif
32.gif
Awesome! Hypothetical high five!

emfist.gif
pound it out!

Date: 2/26/2010 5:55:18 PM
emfist.gif
pound it out!
emfist.gif
Word!

ETA - I'm peacing outta here girls! Have a super fabuloso weekend! XOXOX

Date: 2/26/2010 5:58:11 PM

Date: 2/26/2010 5:55:18 PM
emfist.gif
pound it out!
emfist.gif
Word!

ETA - I''m peacing outta here girls! Have a super fabuloso weekend! XOXOX
Ciao lovely!

I''m out, too...time to blow this popsicle stand! Have a great weekend, everyone!!!

Bye Wife #1!
35.gif

Bye VC!
35.gif

I''ll hold down the fort here...

oooooh...purrrrty
30.gif

whatcha gonna do with them???

Date: 2/26/2010 11:24:48 PM
Author: Bia
oooooh...purrrrty
30.gif

whatcha gonna do with them???

The amethyst is getting set like this without the diamonds. The tsav, not sure yet. For now I''m just enjoying!

Date: 2/26/2010 4:48:52 PM
Date: 2/26/2010 4:45:57 PM

Author: Clairitek

Date: 2/26/2010 4:43:10 PM

I pay almost that much for less space in uber-boring suburban CT
39.gif
That''s way cheaper than I expected Berkley to be.

But Western CT is really pretty! I will give you boring though. If you don''t have lots of cash to spend shopping, I can see getting bored there quickly. One of my closest friends got married in Westport (she is from there... you can see her wedding pics in my pics on the nameless site). I loved being around to help her plan because its so picturesque.

The coast is really pretty, and actually interesting - unfortunately I''m 45 min north of there

7.gif
But DH works in NY so we kind of have to live up here. My first place was in Stamford and I loved living there, but $1600/month for 800sqft 1bdrm was a bit much. Our current town is ridiculously boring - far worse than Greenwich, Stamford, Westport, etc. I really want to move to the Hudson Valley now that I''m not working in CT anymore, but I hate moving and I love our place. Oh well!

elrohwen, I grew up in Stamford!! And my parents still live there :)

Where did you live? The Village? Avalon? Okay, I feel like I sound creepy right now. I only pop over to LIW Small Talk once in a while, and happened to see this!
9.gif

Date: 2/28/2010 2:50:47 PM
Author: KatyWI

The coast is really pretty, and actually interesting - unfortunately I''m 45 min north of there

7.gif
But DH works in NY so we kind of have to live up here. My first place was in Stamford and I loved living there, but $1600/month for 800sqft 1bdrm was a bit much. Our current town is ridiculously boring - far worse than Greenwich, Stamford, Westport, etc. I really want to move to the Hudson Valley now that I''m not working in CT anymore, but I hate moving and I love our place. Oh well!

Where did you live? The Village? Avalon? Okay, I feel like I sound creepy right now. I only pop over to LIW Small Talk once in a while, and happened to see this!
9.gif
Hey there! That''s so cool! I really enjoyed Stamford and I miss living there. I lived right across the street from the Avalon Glen apartments, in a big brick building (right next to the new contruction they put up in the last year or two). I loved being able to walk to the mall, to the bars, to dinner, etc. DH and I would walk down to Cove Island Park all the time. I can''t walk to anywhere from my current location
7.gif

Date: 2/28/2010 5:04:59 PM

The coast is really pretty, and actually interesting - unfortunately I'm 45 min north of there

7.gif
But DH works in NY so we kind of have to live up here. My first place was in Stamford and I loved living there, but $1600/month for 800sqft 1bdrm was a bit much. Our current town is ridiculously boring - far worse than Greenwich, Stamford, Westport, etc. I really want to move to the Hudson Valley now that I'm not working in CT anymore, but I hate moving and I love our place. Oh well!

9.gif

Hey there! That's so cool! I really enjoyed Stamford and I miss living there. I lived right across the street from the Avalon Glen apartments, in a big brick building (right next to the new contruction they put up in the last year or two). I loved being able to walk to the mall, to the bars, to dinner, etc. DH and I would walk down to Cove Island Park all the time. I can't walk to anywhere from my current location
7.gif

Bummer. I keep trying to convince DH that it's a good idea to move back to CT. Now that I know I'll have a kid in a few years or so, I'm feeling a serious need to be closer to my parents so they can spoil the crap out of our kids... which won't happen with DH's fam. If my kids have to grow up near one side, I'd rather it be the warm and cuddly side!!

So we could probably (ok definitely) never afford Stamford, but it's possible we could afford Danburyish, or somewhere with similar pricing that's not more than an hour from Stamford. Of course, we could never travel at rush hour
20.gif
or we'd never get anywhere.

I guess we'll see what happens in the next few years!

ETA: I reeeeaally miss the Stamford mall! I never lived close enough to walk, but I think I practically lived there on weekends in high school. We'd camp out in "the pit"
3.gif

Date: 2/28/2010 5:04:59 PM

7.gif

9.gif

Hey there! That''s so cool! I really enjoyed Stamford and I miss living there. I lived right across the street from the Avalon Glen apartments, in a big brick building (right next to the new contruction they put up in the last year or two). I loved being able to walk to the mall, to the bars, to dinner, etc. DH and I would walk down to Cove Island Park all the time. I can''t walk to anywhere from my current location
7.gif

I know how you feel! We can see Center City Philadelphia from our bedroom window, but we can''t walk to anything beyond a sketch grocery store and a Wawa (convenience store). I suppose *could* walk to the Dairy Queen, and once we did! Turns out its over a mile each way. Whoops! Good way to work off the m&m blizzard though. I miss the town I grew up in so much. We could walk to everything!

Date: 2/28/2010 5:21:49 PM
Bummer. I keep trying to convince DH that it''s a good idea to move back to CT. Now that I know I''ll have a kid in a few years or so, I''m feeling a serious need to be closer to my parents so they can spoil the crap out of our kids... which won''t happen with DH''s fam. If my kids have to grow up near one side, I''d rather it be the warm and cuddly side!!

So we could probably (ok definitely) never afford Stamford, but it''s possible we could afford Danburyish, or somewhere with similar pricing that''s not more than an hour from Stamford. Of course, we could never travel at rush hour
20.gif
or we''d never get anywhere.

I guess we''ll see what happens in the next few years!

ETA: I reeeeaally miss the Stamford mall! I never lived close enough to walk, but I think I practically lived there on weekends in high school. We''d camp out in ''the pit''
3.gif
Yes! Join me in the big D
2.gif
There really isn''t much traffic here with the exception of travel towards Hartford or Westchester. DH travels west and it''s fine; I used to drive down to Norwalk every day and it was fine. I used to take 684 to get the airports every week or so and even that wasn''t too terrible most days.

Date: 2/28/2010 5:23:58 PM
Author: Clairitek
I know how you feel! We can see Center City Philadelphia from our bedroom window, but we can''t walk to anything beyond a sketch grocery store and a Wawa (convenience store). I suppose *could* walk to the Dairy Queen, and once we did! Turns out its over a mile each way. Whoops! Good way to work off the m&m blizzard though. I miss the town I grew up in so much. We could walk to everything!
We live right next to the "projects"
7.gif
Now, they''re nice projects, as far as these things go, and I''m not afraid to walk through them, but it would be about half a mile downhill, through the projects, just to get to a busy road. At that intersection is a McD''s and a Dunkin Donuts, otherwise it''s another half mile walk to anything else (aka grocery store, cvs). Gah. Really not worth it! I hate it. There''s a tiny little restaurant in our neighborhood (among the houses) that DH wants to walk to, but I''m pretty sure even that''s over a mile away.

I could never walk to much where I grew up, but I got used to walking everywhere in college and my year in Stamford - I miss it. It definitely got me out of the house more.

Date: 2/28/2010 9:51:55 PM
Date: 2/28/2010 5:21:49 PM

Bummer. I keep trying to convince DH that it''s a good idea to move back to CT. Now that I know I''ll have a kid in a few years or so, I''m feeling a serious need to be closer to my parents so they can spoil the crap out of our kids... which won''t happen with DH''s fam. If my kids have to grow up near one side, I''d rather it be the warm and cuddly side!!

So we could probably (ok definitely) never afford Stamford, but it''s possible we could afford Danburyish, or somewhere with similar pricing that''s not more than an hour from Stamford. Of course, we could never travel at rush hour
20.gif
or we''d never get anywhere.

I guess we''ll see what happens in the next few years!

ETA: I reeeeaally miss the Stamford mall! I never lived close enough to walk, but I think I practically lived there on weekends in high school. We''d camp out in ''the pit''
3.gif

Yes! Join me in the big D
2.gif
There really isn''t much traffic here with the exception of travel towards Hartford or Westchester. DH travels west and it''s fine; I used to drive down to Norwalk every day and it was fine. I used to take 684 to get the airports every week or so and even that wasn''t too terrible most days.

Hahaha! What are the odds? I online house-hunted in that area and found a couple things in the 200K range, which is not a LOT more than we paid for our house here... and presumably, our cost of living wage increases would mean we could definitely afford it. Of course, depending on how the market increases, that could change. Argh.

Interesting about the traffic! Maybe north of Stamford/Norwalk it''s really not that terrible, but dear god, there''s some terrible traffic on 95 at rush hour.

WAHHHH I WANNA MOVE BACK TO CT! (I spent the last 10 years emphatically saying I never would. Funny how things change! Hah!
3.gif
)

Katy you need to move back to CT!

Grrr....I''m not having a good morning.

Good morning, HH! Hope your day gets better!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP