shape
carat
color
clarity

The LIW Small Talk Thread

Date: 3/1/2010 1:54:18 PM
Author: hisdiamondgirl
So question for you ladies...

When you all got engaged, did your future-in-law family reach out to you in any way?
How do you mean?

Date: 3/1/2010 1:54:45 PM
Author: winelover23

Date: 3/1/2010 1:53:25 PM
Author: elrohwen
I so need a life outside of my bunny.
That would suck! Bunneh life is way better, I promise!

OMG can Otto be my ring bearer?
I really wanted him to be mine, but I think he''d get stage fright. He also won''t stand to be picked up, and I''m sure a leash would be out of the question ... If you wouldn''t mind a little fence along the sides of the aisle, and me chasing him up it, then sure, he could be your ring bearer
9.gif

When you all got engaged, did your future-in-law family reach out to you in any way?
Heh. My MIL was sweet, but that''s about it.

how do you mean?

My in-laws have never reached out to me in any way. And we lived in the same neighborhood the whole time DH and I were dating (4 and a half years). They would ignore me when I went to say hello to them or to see how they were - apparently I was stealing "their baby"
20.gif

So I guess the answer is no
3.gif

J''s parents did by having us over for dinner and stuff but J is VERY close w/ his parents. His Sister on the other hand I''m not sure if she even knows we''re getting married. She''s a douche. Is someone not being nice to you? I''ll lay the smack down!

Date: 3/1/2010 1:56:02 PM
Author: elledizzy5

How do you mean?
Well, I guess it''s more if you don''t see them very often because they live in another state (a hypothetical of course)...Did they call you? Or call your SO and ask to speak with you to congratulate you, etc...

Date: 3/1/2010 1:57:13 PM
Author: Lilac

My in-laws have never reached out to me in any way. And we lived in the same neighborhood the whole time DH and I were dating (4 and a half years). They would ignore me when I went to say hello to them or to see how they were - apparently I was stealing ''their baby''
20.gif

3.gif
Ugh! I hate that whole "stealing their baby" thing.

They ignored you!?
29.gif

My MIL has always been really nice to me. I think when we got engaged she made sure to talk to me on the phone too and she was really excited about the whole thing.

We were visiting his mom when he proposed so she of course said congrats and gave me a hug. We told his sister and BIL over the phone and they were happy as well, but they didn''t send cards or anything. DH isn''t super close with his family.

Date: 3/1/2010 1:57:55 PM

How do you mean?
Well, I guess it''s more if you don''t see them very often because they live in another state (a hypothetical of course)...Did they call you? Or call your SO and ask to speak with you to congratulate you, etc...
J''s parents live about 20 minutes away. He called them to tell them, so we were congratulated that way.

They did not call me separate from J. They congratulated us again when they saw us in person, other than that... business as usual.

My in-laws have never reached out to me in any way. And we lived in the same neighborhood the whole time DH and I were dating (4 and a half years). They would ignore me when I went to say hello to them or to see how they were - apparently I was stealing ''their baby''
20.gif

3.gif
OMG Lilac! NOT EXCEPTABLE! I''m sorry you have sucky IL''s. My previous IL''s were straight from hell, that is no fun!

Date: 3/1/2010 1:53:50 PM
Author: TheBigT

Date: 3/1/2010 1:50:13 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
what do you mean restaurant version?
I know, sometimes I don''t make sense when I talk... I meant I''m looking for the perfect mac & cheese at restaurants, rather than recipes for me to make. I love a great mac, but I don''t want to make it all the time (or have leftovers). DH and I try mac & cheese practically whenever we see it on a menu. We both like it really creamy with a crusty, crunchy top.
Manchego Mac and Cheese for Brunch at Essex on the LES. DELCIOUS. Go. Make 11:30 AM reservations on a Sunday. Free coffee til 12 cuz they can''t serve you alcohol yet, and then 3 mimosas included with your meal starting at 12. Dooooo it.

elro, I''m dying from the cuteness over here.

Date: 3/1/2010 1:57:55 PM

How do you mean?
Well, I guess it's more if you don't see them very often because they live in another state (a hypothetical of course)...Did they call you? Or call your SO and ask to speak with you to congratulate you, etc...
My future in laws didn't throw a party or anything but I think part of that is because they knew we wouldn't want one. But yes, they did congratulate us with a dinner and told all of their friends, a few sent us gifts.

But I see them all the time and am close to them.

Date: 3/1/2010 2:00:17 PM

20.gif

3.gif
OMG Lilac! NOT EXCEPTABLE! I''m sorry you have sucky IL''s. My previous IL''s were straight from hell, that is no fun!
Teehee. Someone needs more coffee.

20.gif

3.gif
I''m sorry to hear that Lilac. I remember reading about your relationship with your ILs
38.gif

I guess I meant more if you had a decent relationship with your ILs before you got engaged.
I mean we never speak on the phone or anything (they live in another state) but I always felt like we had a good relationship when we went out to visit them. I guess I sort of expected for FI''s mom to try to call me or ask to speak with me when she was on the phone with FI, but nothing... In fact, she spoke with FI the other day and asked him if we were still engaged
33.gif
She is always really really nice to me, so it''s just weird...

Date: 3/1/2010 2:03:00 PM

20.gif

3.gif
I''m sorry to hear that Lilac. I remember reading about your relationship with your ILs
38.gif

I guess I meant more if you had a decent relationship with your ILs before you got engaged.
I mean we never speak on the phone or anything (they live in another state) but I always felt like we had a good relationship when we went out to visit them. I guess I sort of expected for FI''s mom to try to call me or ask to speak with me when she was on the phone with FI, but nothing... In fact, she spoke with FI the other day and asked him if we were still engaged
33.gif
Odd. Maybe she was joking??? I feel like that''s something my mom would say to A...

How do you mean?
I jinx you btw

Date: 3/1/2010 2:02:18 PM

Date: 3/1/2010 2:00:17 PM

20.gif

3.gif
Teehee. Someone needs more coffee.
FML, I told you I''m having some seriously grammar and spelling issues today! ACCEPTABLE! Coffee for lunch it is!

38.gif

33.gif
That''s kind of an odd thing to say. Was she just joking?

Is she introverted or shy? Maybe she just didn''t feel comfortable jumping onto the phone with you or something. I don''t know that DH has ever talked to my parents over the phone, but my mom looooves him, so it doesn''t have anything to do with their relationship.

Date: 3/1/2010 1:58:20 PM

My in-laws have never reached out to me in any way. And we lived in the same neighborhood the whole time DH and I were dating (4 and a half years). They would ignore me when I went to say hello to them or to see how they were - apparently I was stealing 'their baby'
20.gif

3.gif

Ugh! I hate that whole 'stealing their baby' thing.

They ignored you!?
29.gif

Yep - I saw them every week in synagogue and I would go over to say hello or I would smile and wave and they literally ignored me. When I went to his house I would try and talk to his mom and I would ask her how work was, how her family was, etc and she would give one-word answers (if I was lucky) and she would read a magazine while I tried to talk to her. Eventually I gave up and we sat in silence until DH came back in the room.

Just last week I found out I got into a really competitive grad school program and his parents found out at the beginning of the week and I still have yet to hear from them. They called my husband and told him they were insulted that I hadn't called them because apparently they can call me when they want to find out where DH is but they can't call me to say something nice to me. I'm supposed to call them to get a "congratulations"
33.gif

They were also mad at us for not calling them on our anniversary because they wanted to wish us happy 1st anniversary. It's our fault they weren't able to because we didn't call THEM.

double post
41.gif

HDG I''m sorry, that stinks. I never talk to DH''s family on the phone. I avoid it at all costs actually. I''m just not close with them. Then again, I don''t even talk to my own family often.

Date: 3/1/2010 2:06:25 PM
Author: Bia
double post
41.gif
You jinx yourself, Ms Double post!
11.gif

Lilac, that''s really odd. Do they ever call you guys?

HDG, my in-laws are very nice people, we get along well, but we''re not what I''d consider to be close, and they didn''t call me apart from J.

The "are you still engaged" comment is a tad strange...

HDG - I hate to brag up my future IL''s because they are like um perfect but seriously I love them almost as much as my own parents.

Date: 3/1/2010 2:06:09 PM

Date: 3/1/2010 1:58:20 PM

20.gif

3.gif

Ugh! I hate that whole ''stealing their baby'' thing.

They ignored you!?
29.gif

Yep - I saw them every week in synagogue and I would go over to say hello or I would smile and wave and they literally ignored me. When I went to his house I would try and talk to his mom and I would ask her how work was, how her family was, etc and she would give one-word answers (if I was lucky) and she would read a magazine while I tried to talk to her. Eventually I gave up and we sat in silence until DH came back in the room.

Just last week I found out I got into a really competitive grad school program and his parents found out at the beginning of the week and I still have yet to hear from them. They called my husband and told him they were insulted that I hadn''t called them because apparently they can call me when they want to find out where DH is but they can''t call me to say something nice to me. I''m supposed to call them to get a ''congratulations''
33.gif

They were also mad at us for not calling them on our anniversary because they wanted to wish us happy 1st anniversary. It''s our fault they weren''t able to because we didn''t call THEM.
20.gif

You just can''t win with some in-laws.

20.gif

3.gif
38.gif

33.gif
that is very strange.

as Elro said, she could be very shy...but still...strange question to ask - are you sure she asked that? Do you ever call her to talk? Maybe you should try just to see what kind of reception you get. At least this way the ball is in their court.

20.gif

3.gif
38.gif

33.gif

That seems like an odd thing to ask. If you had a good relationship before, maybe she''s waiting for you to reach out to her? Not that I think it''s your "responsibility" to, but maybe she doesn''t want to impose on your life or bother you? If she was always really nice to you then I tend to think it''s more that she hasn''t wanted to bother you or something along those lines. What does your FI think about it?

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP