shape
carat
color
clarity

The LIW Small Talk Thread

So apparently one of my friends has been teasing M about proposing. I'm kind of amused by it because we're honestly so far away from it. One of our friends bought his then-GF "distraction jewelry" - a diamond necklace and earrings! She and her family were so convinced he was broke after getting her those that the proposal was a TOTAL shock. Since hearing that story, every time my friend hears M talk about jewelry, she says, "Is that distraction jewelry?" It cracks me up because we're the only serious couple in our group of friends to not be married or engaged, and we're still pretty laid back about it. But I guess this is what happens when we've all got weddings on the brain!

Date: 3/10/2010 11:42:12 AM
Author: princesss
So apparently one of my friends has been teasing M about proposing. I''m kind of amused by it because we''re honestly so far away from it. One of our friends bought his then-GF ''distraction jewelry'' - a diamond necklace and earrings! She and her family were so convinced he was broke after getting her those that the proposal was a TOTAL shock. Since hearing that story, every time my friend hears M talk about jewelry, she says, ''Is that distraction jewelry?'' It cracks me up because we''re the only serious couple in our group of friends to not be married or engaged, and we''re still pretty laid back about it. But I guess this is what happens when we''ve all got weddings on the brain!
"Distraction Jewelry"...I LOVE IT!

You could totally market that as a new concept up there with push prezzies!
9.gif
11.gif

Date: 3/10/2010 11:24:14 AM
Author: vc10um

Date: 3/10/2010 11:19:32 AM
Author: TooPatient

Date: 3/8/2010 8:14:53 PM

Author: ladypirate

The roses look awesome!

TP--did you tell your mom??? I bet she's going to be so excited.

Monday evening. She was very excited and can't wait to help plan stuff.

I told my grandparents over the phone yesterday. Mom printed out some of the ring pictures I sent her and brought the envelope to them. I talked to Grandma & Grandpa a bit and then had them take the envelope from Mom.

They are soooooo happy.
Great news, TP!
9.gif

Have you started planning yet, or are you still basking in the post-engagement excitement?
I want sometime next July (2011) but need to compare holidays/work/school to select a few options. We're doing outdoor. Need to visit parks & stuff in the area to see what would be a good location. One possibility is the arboretum in Seattle.

Colors are navy blue & purple. (lighter shades of purple to lighten up the navy blue)

My aunt might still have the list of addresses/phone# from the anniversary party we did for my grandparents. That will be a huge help for announcements/STDs/invites.
best man/groomsmen selected. (haven't asked yet)

Dance lessons found.

Other than that, I'm looking at theknot.com and other places to get ideas of what works/doesn't and what can/can't be DIY etc.

I know 16 months is a long engagement, but there is a lot of other stuff going on and I don't want it to be rushed.

ETA: and it would be great to be done (or at least almost done) with a degree so I've got something good to put in the wedding announcements other than "graduated high school, stupid job"

Date: 3/10/2010 11:47:26 AM

So apparently one of my friends has been teasing M about proposing. I''m kind of amused by it because we''re honestly so far away from it. One of our friends bought his then-GF ''distraction jewelry'' - a diamond necklace and earrings! She and her family were so convinced he was broke after getting her those that the proposal was a TOTAL shock. Since hearing that story, every time my friend hears M talk about jewelry, she says, ''Is that distraction jewelry?'' It cracks me up because we''re the only serious couple in our group of friends to not be married or engaged, and we''re still pretty laid back about it. But I guess this is what happens when we''ve all got weddings on the brain!
''Distraction Jewelry''...I LOVE IT!

9.gif
11.gif
Totes magotes.

M says he can''t do this now because I''ll "see it coming" - guess what, buddy, I''d be so shocked that you surprised me with jewelry, I''d probably die. (Unless it was maul quality, then one of us would be dead, and I''d have to figure out if Kay''s return policy was still good if there was blood on the bracelet....
12.gif
)

Date: 3/10/2010 12:06:03 PM

9.gif
11.gif

Totes magotes.

M says he can''t do this now because I''ll ''see it coming'' - guess what, buddy, I''d be so shocked that you surprised me with jewelry, I''d probably die. (Unless it was maul quality, then one of us would be dead, and I''d have to figure out if Kay''s return policy was still good if there was blood on the bracelet....
12.gif
)
HAHAHAHA. Awesome, P.

TP: I like the color combo. Kind of a lilac purple? And 16 months isn''t too long.

TP, sounds like a really pretty combination. Have you thought about what style of dress you want?

Sounds great TP! If you need local recommendations, I have a couple.

OMG. So I finally applied for something yesterday, then a coworker/friend tells me that a spot opened up at my current company at our branch office. I''ve been waiting for a year for this!! So happy I could cry!
9.gif
16.gif
39.gif
36.gif
26.gif

Date: 3/10/2010 12:24:02 PM
Author: sunnyd

OMG. So I finally applied for something yesterday, then a coworker/friend tells me that a spot opened up at my current company at our branch office. I''ve been waiting for a year for this!! So happy I could cry!
9.gif
16.gif
39.gif
36.gif
26.gif
YAY! I''ll keep my fingers crossed. That''s what happened to me with my current position, and it''s great!

Date: 3/10/2010 12:11:07 PM

Date: 3/10/2010 12:06:03 PM

9.gif
11.gif

Totes magotes.

M says he can''t do this now because I''ll ''see it coming'' - guess what, buddy, I''d be so shocked that you surprised me with jewelry, I''d probably die. (Unless it was maul quality, then one of us would be dead, and I''d have to figure out if Kay''s return policy was still good if there was blood on the bracelet....
12.gif
)
HAHAHAHA. Awesome, P.

TP: I like the color combo. Kind of a lilac purple? And 16 months isn''t too long.
Lilacs are so pretty. Something like a lilac purple is what I have in my mind. Light enough to keep the navy blue (B''s favorite color) from overwhelming and making everything too somber feeling.

Along with plenty of whites/creams.

9.gif
16.gif
39.gif
36.gif
26.gif
Sunny! That''s awesome news!!!!
36.gif
Fingers crossed hardcore for you!!!

Thanks P and VC! Ahhhh it''s so dumb though, I think my sup is trying to sabotage me.
20.gif
When I first mentioned wanting to go to the branch, he''s like, are you surrrrrrre???? You know it''ll probably be a pay cut......I mean, dude. Good managerial material here, trying to keep pissed off employees so he doesn''t have to train anyone new.
20.gif
20.gif
20.gif

9.gif
16.gif
39.gif
36.gif
26.gif
Yay for the open position! Good luck.

Local recommendations would be great. (and who to avoid if you have any of those)

Date: 3/10/2010 12:17:39 PM
TP, sounds like a really pretty combination. Have you thought about what style of dress you want?
I''ve got a dress that my grandmother bought before she died. It is the right style but it needs to be cleaned and tailored.

I used to draw pictures of wedding dresses I designed in my head (I was young, 8-12ish). I''ve always loved the puffy skirt with long train, fitted in at the waist, delicate beading...

The dress I have fits this perfectly. The only problem is that the outer layer of lace is a bit thin. If the lace can be matched, I might have them add another layer of lace underneath to make it fuller feeling.

frontbeading2.jpg

TP, while I think the detailing is lovely and the history behind the dress is so sweet, I feel like the style is a bit heavy and restrictive for an outdoor wedding in July. I feel like you would be dying of heat...at least I know I would! Maybe have a seamstress rework the dress into something a bit more airy?

Date: 3/10/2010 1:18:19 PM
TP, while I think the detailing is lovely and the history behind the dress is so sweet, I feel like the style is a bit heavy and restrictive for an outdoor wedding in July. I feel like you would be dying of heat...at least I know I would! Maybe have a seamstress rework the dress into something a bit more airy?
Hehe, VC! We were thinking the same thing! Even though it may not get super hot over here, I feel like you may crumple in exhaustion with the sleeves, the crinoline, the lace, etc. Jeez, I''m sweating thinking about it!

Are you dead set on it (I know it has sentiment), or open to other suggestions? I think you mentioned she bought it in 2002? Styles have changes sooooo much since then...hell my dress is from 2007 or 2008 and it''s already ''out''.

That is one (probably the first of many) thing I hadn''t thought about.

There is a full peticoat that goes underneath to make it sit right. It is a heavy dress and now that you''ve mentioned it, I can imagine passing out in the heat.

Hmmmmm.

Maybe a couple of months later when it is cooler but not raining yet....
That would re-open the possibility of a sunset thing with candles too...

TP I''m thrilled that you are finally marrying the man of your dreams and taking that next step. I really am. But I''m going to be honest with you. I don''t think that dress is right for you. I think the style is dated and I''m concerned that such a young look might negatively draw attention to the age difference between you and B. You want to be seen as a beautiful woman (albeit a young woman) on your wedding day, not a little girl playing dress up. I understand the sentimental value this dress holds, and I''m not saying get rid of it all together. I think there are ways you could use the dress in the day-use the lace to make a veil for example, or use the silk to make a wrap for your shoulders. I just want you to look your best and most beautiful for this special day.

Date: 3/10/2010 1:24:59 PM

Hehe, VC! We were thinking the same thing! Even though it may not get super hot over here, I feel like you may crumple in exhaustion with the sleeves, the crinoline, the lace, etc. Jeez, I''m sweating thinking about it!

Are you dead set on it (I know it has sentiment), or open to other suggestions? I think you mentioned she bought it in 2002? Styles have changes sooooo much since then...hell my dress is from 2007 or 2008 and it''s already ''out''.
I''m open to suggestions.

As long as B and I are there together, the rest is just details that can (and will) be changed.

Date: 3/10/2010 1:27:19 PM

Date: 3/10/2010 1:24:59 PM

I''m open to suggestions.

As long as B and I are there together, the rest is just details that can (and will) be changed.
Good for you! My motto, as things got closer and crazier, was as long as we''re married by the end of the day, that''s all that matters!
19.gif

Date: 3/10/2010 1:25:21 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
TP I''m thrilled that you are finally marrying the man of your dreams and taking that next step. I really am. But I''m going to be honest with you. I don''t think that dress is right for you. I think the style is dated and I''m concerned that such a young look might negatively draw attention to the age difference between you and B. You want to be seen as a beautiful woman (albeit a young woman) on your wedding day, not a little girl playing dress up. I understand the sentimental value this dress holds, and I''m not saying get rid of it all together. I think there are ways you could use the dress in the day-use the lace to make a veil for example, or use the silk to make a wrap for your shoulders. I just want you to look your best and most beautiful for this special day.

I love BOTH of those ideas, HH! Perhaps a portion of the bodice could become a lovely beaded clutch as well.

You''re so sweet. (and I appreciate the honesty
1.gif
)

I like your idea of using pieces of the dress in other ways. I''m wanted to go dress shopping later on (3-6 months in person, sooner online) to make sure I really had THE ONE for me.

I have other stuff from Grandma that can be used also, so I won''t be devastated if I find something else instead.

Date: 3/10/2010 1:31:35 PM

I love BOTH of those ideas, HH! Perhaps a portion of the bodice could become a lovely beaded clutch as well.
Ooooh, that sounds BEAUTIFUL!

TP, as long as you feel gorgeous (and don''t pass out), wear what you like. But if you ever want opinions (and lots of them, lol), we''re here.
9.gif

(FWIW, I love the idea of turning the dress into something, especailly something you could use again and get a little thrill out of having something from your wedding to carry the magic of getting married into everyday life.)

Or keep the dress whole for your future little girl to play dress up in.

I love HH''s veil idea. And the beaded clutch would be great too.

Maybe part can be worked into the chuppah...

I''ve got to un-bury the sewing machine & embroidery machine and get my skills brushed up.

Lots of opinions are good. I''ve never been a fashion person (other than my sad attempts at drawing wedding gowns) and I came by this honestly as it seems to be a genetic thing in my family.
39.gif

Date: 3/10/2010 1:43:47 PM

LOVE the chuppah idea if you can work that out.

Date: 3/10/2010 1:54:00 PM

It will be an interesting thing to find out. B likes the tradition of having a tallit for the chuppah. Someone must make custum tallitot somewhere.

Date: 3/10/2010 1:56:49 PM
Date: 3/10/2010 1:54:00 PM

It will be an interesting thing to find out. B likes the tradition of having a tallit for the chuppah. Someone must make custum tallitot somewhere.
I''m sorry, but I have NO CLUE what that is, lol. Chuppah I know. Ketubah I know. Tallit? Not in my vocabulary.

TP, I could see you in something like this

bridal-gowns-slt9724-186861.jpg

or this

bridal-gowns-9t9948-181621.jpg

or this

bridal-gowns-slv9453-186856.jpg

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP