shape
carat
color
clarity

The LIW Small Talk Thread

or this

bridal-gowns-t8615-1267151.jpg

All of those gowns feature a more streamlined and sleek design that accentuates a woman''s figure but doesn''t give away all the curves underneath. They all have cap sleeves and the bodices could be altered to make them more modest if needed.

How modest are you trying to be? Do you need/want full sleeves and a high neckline?

LOVE idea #2, HH!

Date: 3/10/2010 2:24:00 PM
Author: princesss
LOVE idea #2, HH!
Ditto!

Date: 3/10/2010 2:24:00 PM
LOVE idea #2, HH!
Same here. Saw that one at David''s Bridal this weekend in person, and it''s actually ankle-length. Totally appropriate for an outdoor ceremony, and you can show off your SHOES!!!

Date: 3/10/2010 2:22:47 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
All of those gowns feature a more streamlined and sleek design that accentuates a woman's figure but doesn't give away all the curves underneath. They all have cap sleeves and the bodices could be altered to make them more modest if needed.

How modest are you trying to be? Do you need/want full sleeves and a high neckline?
2 & 4 are nice. I can imagine wearing something like those.

I like that they are curvy but not super-tight form fitting.

I don't need full sleeves. I've never been a fan of sleeveless but halter, cap sleeves, and even straps are good. I can always add a wrap if I need to.

Super high neckline is not needed. I'd like to have something that covers my tattoo though.

ETA: After looking through 600 dresses on theknot, I might have to reconsider sleeveless. (wrap for ceremony)

Something like this could be pretty, too - feminine and soft, light enough for summer, young but still elegant. (I think it''s an older style from J.Crew)

sososososososososopretty.jpg

Date: 3/10/2010 2:38:12 PM
Something like this could be pretty, too - feminine and soft, light enough for summer, young but still elegant. (I think it''s an older style from J.Crew)
Princess I love that! Soooo vintage!

Date: 3/10/2010 2:30:12 PM
Author: TooPatient
Date: 3/10/2010 2:22:47 PM

Author: Hudson_Hawk

All of those gowns feature a more streamlined and sleek design that accentuates a woman''s figure but doesn''t give away all the curves underneath. They all have cap sleeves and the bodices could be altered to make them more modest if needed.

2 & 4 are nice. I can imagine wearing something like those.

I like that they are curvy but not super-tight form fitting.

I don''t need full sleeves. I''ve never been a fan of sleeveless but halter, cap sleeves, and even straps are good. I can always add a wrap if I need to.

Super high neckline is not needed. I''d like to have something that covers my tattoo though.

ETA: After looking through 600 dresses on theknot, I might have to reconsider sleeveless. (wrap for ceremony)

My view (and I''m the bride who ended up buying the opposite of what she thought she''d end up in) is try on anything and everything there is. Obviously there are clear things you don''t want, but don''t limit yourself because of how it looks on the hanger. Remember, dresses can be altered. So while on the surface it might not look like something you''d be interested in or appropriate, add a panel here or take out a dart there and you could have the dress of your dreams. Also, don''t forget they make special makeup you can get to cover the tattoo.

So, I''ve got to write a letter to the president of my university tonight, and I''m at a loss for what to say. I went to school in VA, and the AG of VA put out a statement to the public colleges saying they should remove all anti-discrimination language from their charters as it pertains to sexual orientation. (In other words, he wants to make it a-okay for schools to discriminate on that basis.)

So I want to write a letter to the president of my school saying, in essense, "We''re not actually going to do that, right?!?!?!?!" because this has been bugging the heck out of me. But I''m not on the Board of Visitors, and I''m not a VA resident, so I don''t know how much weight it''ll carry. The last time there was an issue that the alumni and student body felt passionate against, the BOV made the final decision and it definitely wasn''t what we wanted. So I''m nervous. And frustrated. And I hate feeling like all I can do is sit back and watch.

Date: 3/10/2010 3:35:41 PM
So, I''ve got to write a letter to the president of my university tonight, and I''m at a loss for what to say. I went to school in VA, and the AG of VA put out a statement to the public colleges saying they should remove all anti-discrimination language from their charters as it pertains to sexual orientation. (In other words, he wants to make it a-okay for schools to discriminate on that basis.)

So I want to write a letter to the president of my school saying, in essense, ''We''re not actually going to do that, right?!?!?!?!'' because this has been bugging the heck out of me. But I''m not on the Board of Visitors, and I''m not a VA resident, so I don''t know how much weight it''ll carry. The last time there was an issue that the alumni and student body felt passionate against, the BOV made the final decision and it definitely wasn''t what we wanted. So I''m nervous. And frustrated. And I hate feeling like all I can do is sit back and watch.
ARGH. I have no help in that regard, but you now make me ashamed of living in VA.

Are they serious?!?!
23.gif

Date: 3/10/2010 3:49:47 PM
Author: sunnyd

Are they serious?!?!
23.gif
Oh, he''s dead serious. I love VA (vc, don''t you dare feel ashamed of living there! It''s my favourite state...err, commonwealth!), but it has a tendency to need to be shoved head-first into social change.

His argument is that the schools have no authority to put non-discrimination into their charters since it''s not the law in VA, and they''re overstepping their bounds. I''m hoping a commitment to solid education is more important to my school than discrimination, since Phi Beta Kappa will pull the school chapter since that clause is a requirement to have PBK on campus (among other important things, but that''s at least something tangible). I can''t say I trust the BOV not to put something like this above academics (you know, the PURPOSE of a university), especially since they members are put on the BOV by the state gov''t.

Date: 3/9/2010 6:54:09 PM
Author: elrohwen
Is it sad that I know how to sex a chick? (at least in theory) Anybody else see that Dirty Jobs episode? One of the best ever!

I was just thinking about this while reading through the thread! Great episode.

Date: 3/10/2010 12:24:02 PM
Author: sunnyd
Sounds great TP! If you need local recommendations, I have a couple.

OMG. So I finally applied for something yesterday, then a coworker/friend tells me that a spot opened up at my current company at our branch office. I''ve been waiting for a year for this!! So happy I could cry!
9.gif
16.gif
39.gif
36.gif
26.gif
Woo! Thats exciting all around.

Date: 3/10/2010 1:43:47 PM
I love HH''s veil idea. And the beaded clutch would be great too.

Maybe part can be worked into the chuppah...

I''ve got to un-bury the sewing machine & embroidery machine and get my skills brushed up.

Lots of opinions are good. I''ve never been a fashion person (other than my sad attempts at drawing wedding gowns) and I came by this honestly as it seems to be a genetic thing in my family.
39.gif
I think this is a really great idea! (sorry if this has been said already... I''m just going through and catching up now).

I got to make my friend''s chuppah for her wedding this past October and it was not only fun, but it also felt wonderful to contribute to their wedding ceremony in such a significant way. I think lace is great for a chuppah because it still lets the light in. I used a lace panel in the middle of hers with silk on the sides (so it looked like a square within a square). I bet the dress has more than enough material for that! Then you can look at it as your grandmother helping to put a roof over your and B''s heads on your wedding day.

Date: 3/10/2010 1:56:49 PM

Date: 3/10/2010 1:54:00 PM
Author: vc10um

Date: 3/10/2010 1:43:47 PM
I love HH''s veil idea. And the beaded clutch would be great too.

Maybe part can be worked into the chuppah...

LOVE the chuppah idea if you can work that out.
It will be an interesting thing to find out. B likes the tradition of having a tallit for the chuppah. Someone must make custum tallitot somewhere.
Just before the ceremony, we pinned the bride''s father''s tallit onto the top of the chuppah so it was there. We were too afraid to sew his tallit onto other fabric so I just used some safety pins and pinned it on.

Hi wifey! Welcome back!

Date: 3/10/2010 4:31:24 PM
Hi wifey! Welcome back!
35.gif

I''ve been crunching numbers all day. Making sure I am totally rational in asking for more money (beyond the fact that I know I''m worth more).

Date: 3/10/2010 4:07:41 PM
Author: Clairitek

Date: 3/9/2010 6:54:09 PM
Author: elrohwen
Is it sad that I know how to sex a chick? (at least in theory) Anybody else see that Dirty Jobs episode? One of the best ever!

I was just thinking about this while reading through the thread! Great episode.

Couldn''t get the highlight thing to work. Anyway, SHIRTS! (I know what you''re saying, it just sounds extremely funny)

Is it sad that I know how to sex a chick?

Is it sad that I know how to sex a chick? (at least in theory)

TP, congratulations on getting the word out! I''m glad to see that you''re considering other dresses. The one from your grandmother is nice, but it does have a very dated feel to it.

Do you have any idea about your ideal dress style? You mentioned ballgowns, but are you open to more a-line, tailored styles? They are so elegant!

Date: 3/10/2010 6:15:44 PM
Author: ladypirate
TP, congratulations on getting the word out! I''m glad to see that you''re considering other dresses. The one from your grandmother is nice, but it does have a very dated feel to it.

Do you have any idea about your ideal dress style? You mentioned ballgowns, but are you open to more a-line, tailored styles? They are so elegant!
I''m open to pretty much anything. I''m not very familiar with fashion stuff. I looked through the first 1600 dresses on theknot and found a few interesting styles.

Here is one.

2104.jpg

Another

f256.jpg

Anyway, I''ve got a few dozen I liked out of those. Probably WAY above any kind of budget I''d be trying to look in, but it gives me an idea what is out there before I go see things in person.

What about something like this? It''s a Watters dress, so not terribly expensive and I think it is really pretty!

wtoo-brides-spring-2010-wedding-dresses-14497-Zora-v-neck-lace-empire-cumberbund-white.JPG

Date: 3/10/2010 6:56:56 PM
Author: ladypirate
What about something like this? It''s a Watters dress, so not terribly expensive and I think it is really pretty!

wtoo-brides-spring-2010-wedding-dresses-14497-Zora-v-neck-lace-empire-cumberbund-white.JPG
I like that one too. Simple and elegant.

Who carries these?

See you all tomorrow. I''m heading home for the evening.

I love the last dress you posted LP.

Too Patient- I would love to help in your dress surch but don''t know what kind of shapes suit you and what styles or details you like.

P.s. 4ever is hungover

Future girl...hungover on a Wednesday??? Nice work!!!
31.gif
Did you make sangria yesterday???

LP, I LOVE that Watters gown you posted. TP, you can find it, along with many other gowns here.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

My friend is pregnant, and I''m super happy for her!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP