shape
carat
color
clarity

The LIW Small Talk Thread

I''m glad they came up a little Ctek!

And elro, college ANYTHING is way better than pro.

I''m a College Football junkie. A is a football widower...he doesn''t really get into it like I do...but I drag him to one football game every fall back in Ann Arbor. I don''t miss my Michigan Football games. I''ve only missed 3 games (in person or on TV) since I started attending Michigan in 2006. And those were for a wedding and 2 half marathon packet pickup events (and they were non-conference games, so it wasn''t a huge deal).

HA! I love that my wife is such a man...

I''m deathly allergic to sports.

Otto was being super cute last night and we caught him lying like this with his head down on the floor like a little puppy and his big bunny feets out behind him.

otto face plant.jpg

Date: 3/15/2010 11:21:17 AM
Author: elrohwen
Otto was being super cute last night and we caught him laying like this with his head down on the floor like a little puppy.
Bout time we got some new Otto pics! Sheesh bunneh hog!

VC, I can''t get into college football much because I don''t have any team loyalties. Cornell''s football team is about on par with a high school team, so it''s not even interesting to go to the games (I''ve never stayed for a whole game). And obviously they''re not on tv. DH loves Syracuse, but their football team is also nothing special. Plus, DH actually plays basketball all the time, and it''s his love, so it makes sense that we''d watch that.

I actually love hockey, and Cornell usually has a great team, but I hate watching it on tv.

So basically I avoid all sports on tv except during NCAA tournament time. Lucky for me that''s all DH watches. He''ll watch NFL games, but generally only if Buffalo is playing (and we all know how those games end).

Date: 3/15/2010 11:20:16 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
HA! I love that my wife is such a man...
9.gif

You should HEAR me at football games. I''m ridiculous.

YAY! OTTO PICS!!! Loooooong bunneh!

Date: 3/15/2010 11:25:43 AM
VC, I can''t get into college football much because I don''t have any team loyalties. Cornell''s football team is about on par with a high school team, so it''s not even interesting to go to the games (I''ve never stayed for a whole game). And obviously they''re not on tv. DH loves Syracuse, but their football team is also nothing special. Plus, DH actually plays basketball all the time, and it''s his love, so it makes sense that we''d watch that.

I actually love hockey, and Cornell usually has a great team, but I hate watching it on tv.

So basically I avoid all sports on tv except during NCAA tournament time. Lucky for me that''s all DH watches. He''ll watch NFL games, but generally only if Buffalo is playing (and we all know how those games end).
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I will watch both college and pro hockey. LOVE it!
36.gif
Guess that''s what happens when you grow up just outside of Hockeytown.

Not super excited, but I''ll watch the games if they''re on. Miss State v. Kentucky was nuts yesterday, especially because we were at lunch and I was sitting between a Miss State fan and a Kentucky fan. Oh goodness.

I think basketball is fun, but I tend to think that if you can finish a game with scores over 100 (hell, even over 50), it''s too easy to score.

Date: 3/15/2010 11:27:29 AM
Author: vc10um

Date: 3/15/2010 11:25:43 AM

30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I will watch both college and pro hockey. LOVE it!
36.gif
Guess that''s what happens when you grow up just outside of Hockeytown.
My dad''s family is full of huge hockey fans and players, so it''s in my blood
9.gif
And I got into it at school - most people had season tickets and going to the games was a campus-wide event the way football is at other schools.

I really do hate watching on tv though
7.gif
I feel like they just follow the puck, when I want to see all of the action, where the other players are, etc. I wish they would just have a fixed camera that shows all of the ice.

Date: 3/15/2010 11:34:39 AM
Author: princesss
Not super excited, but I''ll watch the games if they''re on. Miss State v. Kentucky was nuts yesterday, especially because we were at lunch and I was sitting between a Miss State fan and a Kentucky fan. Oh goodness.

I think basketball is fun, but I tend to think that if you can finish a game with scores over 100 (hell, even over 50), it''s too easy to score.
Haha, this is why DH hates hockey - he can''t stand sports without lots of scoring because he''s so used to bball.

Date: 3/15/2010 11:21:17 AM
Otto was being super cute last night and we caught him lying like this with his head down on the floor like a little puppy and his big bunny feets out behind him.
Bunneh FEETS!
30.gif

I like hockey, but only for the fights.

Date: 3/15/2010 11:38:56 AM
I was angry when I found out they don''t fight in the Olympics.
20.gif

Date: 3/15/2010 11:07:56 AM
Author: Clairitek
Ehhhh they sorta did. Not really as much as I wanted. My dad convinced me that it wasn''t about the money at this point. He is in the same industry as this company (and another one that I was talking to) and felt that I wouldn''t find something similar with another company. The company I will be working for is a big deal in the industry and he thought it was pretty amazing that they came around with a job offer for a kind of job I''ve known I wanted for a long time. Everything my father said I was thinking already, but it felt good to hear someone who really knows the ins and outs of the industry confirm what I was thinking.

Now we just need to sell our house... what a ton of work we have ahead of us.
Congratulations!!

Lots of work ahead but it is for a good cause. I hope you enjoy your new job and CA.

Date: 3/15/2010 11:40:39 AM

Date: 3/15/2010 11:38:56 AM
I was angry when I found out they don''t fight in the Olympics.
20.gif
I wondered what the H-E-double hockey sticks was up with that!!!!

Good morning everyone. It has been quiet in ST. Only 3 1/2 pages to catch up on since I left Thursday. Have you all been working?
38.gif

HH -- Bun is so cute. Actually looking like a little person!

I know I have. I''ve had a few really busy work weeks and weekends. Then I''m so tired at night I literally eat dinner and pass out.I''m no fun these days.

So TJ turns 35 on the 27th and I''ve decided I''m going to throw him an impromptu birthday party. We''re going to a Brazilian BBQ place in Providence and I''m SO. Excited! I love this place!!

Oh! I forgot to ask. Do you think it''s rude to have a group of 10 people go out to dinner and request that it be dutch? I can''t afford to spot 10 people for dinner, but these are some of TJ''s closer friends...

Date: 3/15/2010 12:19:37 PM
I know I have. I''ve had a few really busy work weeks and weekends. Then I''m so tired at night I literally eat dinner and pass out.I''m no fun these days.

So TJ turns 35 on the 27th and I''ve decided I''m going to throw him an impromptu birthday party. We''re going to a Brazilian BBQ place in Providence and I''m SO. Excited! I love this place!!
Braziliam BBQ? That sounds yummy.

Is this a surprise for him or does he know it is happening?

Date: 3/15/2010 12:20:52 PM
Oh! I forgot to ask. Do you think it''s rude to have a group of 10 people go out to dinner and request that it be dutch? I can''t afford to spot 10 people for dinner, but these are some of TJ''s closer friends...
I don''t think it is, but I would let them know ahead of time if it''s not what they''re used to.

Also - AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, big bun-bun feets!

When a large group of friends and I go out to dinner (even if one of us does the inviting) it''s assumed that it''ll be dutch. So I guess it depends on the group?

If we''re one on one with another couple, it''s different, but for groups I think it''s fair.

PS ate my post.

I don''t think that is rude as long as people know before they get to dinner. (part as the invite would be best)

You might also ask the BBQ place to see if they would do a flat rate per person or something to make it easier on your guests and their staff. Another thing to ask is if they can take payments at the START of the meal so people don''t get stuck waiting forever after you are done for the evening.

That''s one nice thing about this place, it''s fixed price so people know it''s $39pp not including alcohol if they do the real Gaucho experience. If they order off the menu it differs.

Oh! I forgot to ask. Do you think it's rude to have a group of 10 people go out to dinner and request that it be dutch? I can't afford to spot 10 people for dinner, but these are some of TJ's closer friends...
I don't think it's rude, especially for a bday. Actually, I can't think that we've ever invited friends out for dinner and paid, so maybe in my group it's just understood that things like that are split up. Especially for a bday, nobody wants to make the bday boy/girl (or their SO) pay for that many people.

eta: We also typically split the bill evenly for the most part rather than trying to divide up who ordered what, etc. I think this is always easier. We usually split bottles of wine too, rather than everyone ordering their own alcohol.

Wife, that sounds like fun! I don''t think it''s an issue at all to go Dutch. I think it''s pretty understood, at least in my circles, that big gatherings = everyone paying for themselves.
9.gif

As for the slowness...I''ve been working my booty off the past week or so. I''m finally out from underneath all the crap the snowstorm of February left behind...now I''m back to regular pace...but with all the extracurriculars I''ve got going on right now, work is still gonna be nuts...
38.gif

I want to share the menu I'm going to make for our bball party on Saturday. Let me know what you think and if you girls have any suggestions. I'm not sure what the final head count is, but if everyone shows up we would have 14 people - hopefully this is more than enough, especially since our guests will probably bring food. I snagged most of my recipes off of Smitten Kitchen.

Appetizers:
Baked Chicken Meatballs (with tomato sauce for dipping): http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/10/baked-chicken-meatballs/
Onion Tart with Mustard and Fennel (I'm ridiculously excited for this one): http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/11/onion-tart-with-mustard-and-fennel/
Crostini with Oven Dried Tomatoes, Garlic, Basil, and Balsamic (no recipe, just going with whatever tastes good)
Salted Brown Butter Crispy Treats (sooo excited to try these!): http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/11/salted-brown-butter-crispy-treats/

Dinner - I'm going to purchase all of this stuff from a local grocery store instead of making it. I wanted something a little more interesting than pizza and I don't want to be cooking anything after people arrive.
Pulled Pork
Rolls
Wings
Coleslaw

Am I missing any major food groups? I feel like I need more veggies ... any good veggie side dish/appetizer ideas?

You could always do hummus with pita and veggies as an appetizer--carrots, celery, snap peas, etc. For dinner maybe roast some asparagus or saute a bunch of greens (collard greens, mustard greens, swiss chard, etc.)?

Date: 3/15/2010 2:02:18 PM
Author: ladypirate
You could always do hummus with pita and veggies as an appetizer--carrots, celery, snap peas, etc. For dinner maybe roast some asparagus or saute a bunch of greens (collard greens, mustard greens, swiss chard, etc.)?
Hummus is a good idea! And I assume somebody else will bring some kind of dip, so having pita and veggies on hand (instead of just a bag of chips) would be good.

Asparagus is a good idea too. No other veggie is easier.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP