shape
carat
color
clarity

The LIW Small Talk Thread

Wino, do you want to come to my house and have a cleaning party? I''m dreading the cleaning I need to do on Thursday and Friday.

Date: 3/15/2010 2:06:15 PM
Author: elrohwen
Wino, do you want to come to my house and have a cleaning party? I''m dreading the cleaning I need to do on Thursday and Friday.
I thought you''d never ask! Of course!

Date: 3/15/2010 2:13:09 PM
Author: winelover23

Date: 3/15/2010 2:06:15 PM
I thought you''d never ask! Of course!
36.gif
I''ll provide the wine
drowning_in_wine.gif

Dude, I''d even help clean for the wine!

And that menu sounds awesome, elro. I''d put up with basketball for that kind of spread!
2.gif

Date: 3/15/2010 2:20:01 PM
Author: vc10um
Dude, I'd even help clean for the wine!

And that menu sounds awesome, elro. I'd put up with basketball for that kind of spread!
2.gif
Thanks! I hope it turns out ok. I never know what to make for appetizers/hors d'oeuvres - I don't have any go-to recipes and I always make new things with mixed results. I have high hopes for these recipes though! And crostini are always good and impossible to mess up.

And I'm obsessed with the pulled pork and wings from the grocery store - so even if everything else is terrible I know those will be awesome.

Wino, I need cleaning help, too. When can you be here?

I had sweet tea and a sub with Duke''s mayo on it for lunch. I effing love food in the South.

Date: 3/15/2010 2:30:10 PM
Author: princesss

I had sweet tea and a sub with Duke''s mayo on it for lunch. I effing love food in the South.
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif

Date: 3/15/2010 2:31:59 PM

18.gif
18.gif
18.gif
It was sunny and I got to put a lot of ice in it (it was fresh!) and drink it in the sunshine. Nothing quite compares to the first time I get to do that each year. It''s like the first day of the year when I can drive around in a short sleeve shirt with the windows down.

Did you get it from Chik-fil-A? My southern friend is obsessed with their sweet tea.

Date: 3/15/2010 2:36:16 PM

18.gif
18.gif
18.gif
It was sunny and I got to put a lot of ice in it (it was fresh!) and drink it in the sunshine. Nothing quite compares to the first time I get to do that each year. It''s like the first day of the year when I can drive around in a short sleeve shirt with the windows down.
Where are you at, P? I know you were in VA for awhile...but I''ve lost track of you!

I had sweet tea and a sub with Duke's mayo on it for lunch. I effing love food in the South.
As long as you are making the rounds, I am in desparate need of help. (and have a freshly filled wine refrigerator)

Passover is in a couple of weeks and I haven't gotten anything done.

To do:
General house cleaning (dust, vacuum, mop, etc.)
Deep clean kitchen & dining room
hand scrub oven (self cleaning fried it last time)
empty cupboards and scrub inside/out
empty & scrub refrigerator
Wash all china/crystal
soak glass dishes
wash glass dishes
scrub & wash metal pots/pans/dishes (silverware etc.)
Scrub bathtub
Put all metal dishes (see above) in bathtub
Fill bathtub with boiling water
scrub sinks & counters

Did I mention that this has to be done in batches because once it is cleaned it doesn't get touched again until Passover (unless we give up all grain stuff for an extra week again this year).
If I was ambitious, I'd do a deep scrub of the bedroom/guestroom/office too.

ETA: I dream of someday having separate dishes and cooking utensils for Passover so we don't have to soak and/or boil everything we plan to use.

Cleaning all around! I like the organizing part the best.

Date: 3/15/2010 2:38:47 PM

18.gif
18.gif
18.gif
Where are you at, P? I know you were in VA for awhile...but I''ve lost track of you!
I''m in NC now. Coming up on 2 years here!

El, no, I don''t like Chik-Fil-A. But (surprisingly) McDonald''s has some amazing sweet tea! I also really love Lipton''s Extra Sweet tea. But the best is my friend''s homemade tea. I''ve got to learn how to make it at some point. It''s fab!

You''re all going to think this is gross, but I prefer my unsweetened. Sometimes I''ll have lemon in it, but not always. Though I do love thai iced tea sweetened. I hate Nestea or Lipton, anything like that hurts my teeth it''s so sweet.

Date: 3/15/2010 2:53:50 PM

Date: 3/15/2010 2:38:47 PM

18.gif
18.gif
18.gif
I''m in NC now. Coming up on 2 years here!

El, no, I don''t like Chik-Fil-A. But (surprisingly) McDonald''s has some amazing sweet tea! I also really love Lipton''s Extra Sweet tea. But the best is my friend''s homemade tea. I''ve got to learn how to make it at some point. It''s fab!
I *heart* McD''s Sweet Tea! So so so yum.

Do NOT want to talk to stupid atty at 3:30. The conversation is going to be one giant *headdesk*...

My sister is coming on Thursday. I''m excited and not-so-excited all at the same time.

Date: 3/15/2010 2:52:44 PM
Author: winelover23
Cleaning all around! I like the organizing part the best.
Got lots of that too...

We''ve been in the house for two years now and I''m still not happy with how the kitchen is organized. Stuff falls on me all of the time because it is too crowded but other shelves are empty.
40.gif

TP, I think you should save yourself the aggravation and splurge on some new, cheap dishes and flatware. Or stick with paper plates and plastic utensils... Or glass plates, because I''m pretty sure you don''t have to boil those.

Date: 3/15/2010 2:57:49 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
You''re all going to think this is gross, but I prefer my unsweetened. Sometimes I''ll have lemon in it, but not always. Though I do love thai iced tea sweetened. I hate Nestea or Lipton, anything like that hurts my teeth it''s so sweet.
Not gross at all, wifey!

If it''s a really good tea, I actually like it unsweetened as well!

Not gross.

I''ve got an iced Persian tea with me at work today -- unsweetened. I quit sweetening my tea a year or so ago.

You're all going to think this is gross, but I prefer my unsweetened. Sometimes I'll have lemon in it, but not always. Though I do love thai iced tea sweetened. I hate Nestea or Lipton, anything like that hurts my teeth it's so sweet.
I don't think that's gross. I don't really drink iced tea, but I drink hot tea every day and add like 1/4-1/2 teaspoon sugar. I think it helps balance out the bitterness of black tea, but I don't put in enough to actually make it taste "sweet".

When I worked for Lipton I did like the raspberry iced tea in a bottle, but that's because it was free
9.gif
I haven't had it in years though now that I have to pay for it.

Date: 3/15/2010 3:01:18 PM
Author: TheBigT
TP, I think you should save yourself the aggravation and splurge on some new, cheap dishes and flatware. Or stick with paper plates and plastic utensils... Or glass plates, because I''m pretty sure you don''t have to boil those.
Our plates/bowls are glass. Technically they are supposed to sit unused for awhile (24 hours?) after being run through a dishwasher and then soaked for something like 48 or 72 hours (changing the water every 24 hours). We did this last year for the first time (I figured it couldn''t be THAT hard --- yeah...). I think we will skip that this year.

All metal stuff has to be boiled (great for keeping pans shiny and nice) -- pots, pans, mixing bowls, serving trays, cooking utensils, silverware...

We can''t afford (and don''t have storage room for) a new set of everything (even just metal stuff) and paper/disposable would never hold up to the stuff we cook.

ETA: We will get some new stuff from a restaurant supply store to ease the cleaning a bit. (and as I clean - certainly after - we''ll be using disposable everything)

Date: 3/15/2010 3:11:52 PM

I don''t think that''s gross. I don''t really drink iced tea, but I drink hot tea every day and add like 1/4-1/2 teaspoon sugar. I think it helps balance out the bitterness of black tea, but I don''t put in enough to actually make it taste ''sweet''.

When I worked for Lipton I did like the raspberry iced tea in a bottle, but that''s because it was free
9.gif
That is what I did too until I kept track of how much sugar I was using in one month. (2-4 cups of tea per day)

Date: 3/15/2010 3:16:03 PM
Author: TooPatient

I don''t think that''s gross. I don''t really drink iced tea, but I drink hot tea every day and add like 1/4-1/2 teaspoon sugar. I think it helps balance out the bitterness of black tea, but I don''t put in enough to actually make it taste ''sweet''.

When I worked for Lipton I did like the raspberry iced tea in a bottle, but that''s because it was free
9.gif
That is what I did too until I kept track of how much sugar I was using in one month. (2-4 cups of tea per day)
I only drink one cup per day and I don''t eat anything else with sugar on a daily basis, so I''m ok with it. Especially because 1/2 teaspoon only has 7 calories.

Date: 3/15/2010 3:22:46 PM

Date: 3/15/2010 3:16:03 PM
Author: TooPatient

9.gif
I only drink one cup per day and I don''t eat anything else with sugar on a daily basis, so I''m ok with it. Especially because 1/2 teaspoon only has 7 calories.
That isn''t bad.

Tea is my main drink during the day. When I tracked the sugar, I was drinking closer to 6 cups per day. That was just too much sugar. (1 tsp per 16oz. cup = 6 tsp. per day)
38.gif

As a special treat, I''ll have a really nice cardamom tea with the traditional Persian broken sugar.

sometimes I eat brown sugar straight. Just the right amount of sugar!

Nom nom nom.

I don''t like sugar in my tea or coffee though--just don''t really care for sweet drinks (except for chocolate milk).

Date: 3/15/2010 3:33:41 PM
Author: ladypirate
sometimes I eat brown sugar straight. Just the right amount of sugar!

Nom nom nom.

I don''t like sugar in my tea or coffee though--just don''t really care for sweet drinks (except for chocolate milk).
Yummmm. That''s my recovery drink from really tough workouts. Right balance of carbs, protein, and yumminess!

Mmm chocolate milk.....

Chocolate milk is amazing.

So are chocolate milkshakes (made with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup).

And hot chocolate.

Date: 3/15/2010 4:43:37 PM
Chocolate milk is amazing.

So are chocolate milkshakes (made with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup).

And hot chocolate.
MMmmm. Milkshake.

There was this place I used to eat with my grandparents. A 50s sort of diner thing in the Everett mall (the food was worth the creepy location). They made the BEST milkshakes. Chocolate or strawberry were my favorite. They came in only one size. (24oz ish size). They''d bring it in the metal milkshake blending cup and let you pour it into (and refill) your old-fashioned glass. So thick and yummy....
They are gone now.
39.gif
I don''t know what happened. The food was great and they were always busy.

OMG this talk of milkshakes has me drooling! Damn you all!!!! I might have to run to the mall and Johnny Rockets at lunch time.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP