shape
carat
color
clarity

The Movie Thread

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Werd up.

My long term memory is starting to kick in, in the comedic category how about Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein. It's one of the rare ones that makes me laugh as much on a repeat viewing as it did the first time.

When Harry Met Sally

Pretty Women

Sex, Lies & Videotapes

Airplane

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Yeah, Mel Brooks

Oldies:
Fail Safe
Manchurian Candidate

I must be stuck in the early 60's -
Down with Love
Catch Me if You Can

I agree w/ Vanilla Sky being seriously disturbing. For me, it ranks as one of the worst movies ever.

OMG- YES!!!!! Young Frankenstein and Airplane...and History of the World!!! Saw Spiderman today...was actually a bit violent and scary for me, never mind the kids there...they didn't seem to mind...in all, great movie!!!

1) Monty Python's Holy Grail
2) any of the Pink Panther Movies
3) The Naked Gun series
4) Police Academy Series
5) Revenge of the Nerds
6) Airplane
7) History of the World
8) Space Balls
9) Caddy Shack
10) Coming to America
11) The Secret of My Success
12) Dumb and Dumber

There is no way I could even begin to list all the movies I love!

Some interesting and FAR FROM normal movies that are unique and worth mentioning are:

Donnie Darko (one of my very favorites)
Pi (one of my husband's favorites - a bit too weird for me
1.gif

Requiem For a Dream (an unusal drug flick, not for the faint of heart)
No Such Thing (bizarre and a MUST watch for the hell of it, because it's so strange)
And Amelie has already been mentioned, but this is a must watch and probably the ONLY socially acceptable movie of this above list! The main girl is so cute, too
2.gif

These are all VERY WEIRD as said, so if you're looking for something different, try these out.

I love "normal" movies too, but not too normal. Someone mentioned Election. This was great too as are all Reece Witherspoon movies. She's one of my favorite. Legally Blonde is a great movie
9.gif

Joy Luck Club is a great chick flick. . .hmmmm. .. and Bridget Jones' diary (the book is a GREAT and funny read too. . .)

Michelle

----------------
On 7/4/2004 2:11:02 PM MichelleCarmen wrote:

Pi (one of my husband's favorites - a bit too weird for me
1.gif

Requiem For a Dream (an unusal drug flick, not for the faint of heart)

Michelle----------------

Yeah, Pi was definitely a weird movie. I saw it a few years ago and I still don't know what it's about. Requim for a Dream was also very good, but it is very disturbing. It's definitely a heavy movie.

If you liked Audrey Tatou (is that the correct spelling, or even the correct name?) from Amelie, that she is also in "Dirty Pretty Things" It is very different from Amelie, but it's a fantastic movie just the same.

----------------
If you liked Audrey Tatou (is that the correct spelling, or even the correct name?) from Amelie, that she is also in 'Dirty Pretty Things' It is very different from Amelie, but it's a fantastic movie just the same. ----------------

Cool, I'll rent this one too
1.gif
We also saw, "He loves me, He loves me not," and this was good, too. I just checked on Amazon and found Audrey T. is in a few other films so I'm going to rent those too as her movies are safe around the kids. It's hard to find movies to watch that are okay for our kids to see (even the Lion King turned out to be too violent as Ryan bit his brother hard on the cheek after watching this and left a set of teeth marks that lasted a week
6.gif
). I started to watch Cold Mountain last night, but boths boys wouldn't cooperate whenever I tried to cover their eyes during the war scenes so I gave up!

Michelle

I see that your schwartz is bigger than mine Derickinla...lol...but then again, I shouldn't have one!!!
2.gif

Speaking of Mel Brooks we are forgetting: The Producers, To Be or Not To Be, & Blazing Saddles

Other comedies, not mentioned:
Swingers, Made, Old School, Dumb & Dumber, Kingpin, There's Something About Mary, Meet the Parents

A French foriegn film: Taxi and it's funnier sequel Taxi 2.

We can't forget laughfests: American Pie series, Scary Movie series, and Road Trip.

Additional kudos to previously mentioned Office Space & Airplane. High Fidelity is the best guy-relationship movie ever made.

I wait in eager antcipation for Anchorman.

You're so money, baby, and you don't even know it!

Swingers is superb!

VINCE VAUGHN.....siiiiggggghhhhhhhhhhhh
love.gif

And he's 6'5"...perfect for this amazon...lol

Just thought I would add my two cents about tear jerkers. If you are ever in for a good cry try
Love Story (I think it is a 1970's movie)
and more recently
The Notebook
I am a sucker for all Nicholas Sparks books and I decided to see the movie that just came out. I sobbed like a baby. I dont think there was a single dry eye in the theater.

Friends of mine just saw "The Notebook" and said it was the BIGGEST tearjerker they ever saw! Not my idea of entertainment.

We saw Spiderman II over the 4th weekend and LOVED IT! Was fantastic! Started a tiny bit slow and I thought I'd be dissapointed but it picked up and was excellent! Also loved "The Terminal". Interesting and very good.

Unreal, Chris - you have just spouted off almost all of my all time favourites! The Taxi movies appeal to my car-afficionado persona, and I found them to be brilliant! I want a Pug now!
1.gif

However, I'm a sucker for Indiana Jones, and have been watching the trilogy non-stop since it was released on DVD.

I agree about Indiana Jones...Harrison Ford is SO SEXY!!!! Which is your favorite...I love Last Crusade...Sean OConnery does a great job.

Christian Bale (American Psycho) is the next Batman. Can this franchise be saved?

My favorite comic book movies are Spider-Man, X-Men, maybe the first Batman, the first couple of Supermans, Road to Perdition. Any others?

Certainly, Catwoman is a waste of celluloid.

Beauty & the Beast
Forrest Gump
Thelma & Louise
The Shawshank Redemption
Stepmom
The Lion King
Finding Nemo
Top Gun
naughty.gif

Is it the half naked sweaty men playing volleyball that did it? lol....

Shawshank Redemption is definitely a modern classic.

What are your thoughts on Mr. Holland's Opus? A man's youthful dreams of becoming rich and famous, dashed by the weight of reality and obligation only to discover he's enriched the lives of countless others through his dedication and love of teaching music.

Sometimes I think it's way over the top and others it gets me right in the heart.

The Terminal was good. Feel good kinda movie. C Zetta Jones part could have been left on the cutting room floor though.

heh I am so well-reputed in our circle for loving CRAP movies..aka movies that just entertain. If its a movie where I have to *think* chances are I don't wanna go. That said, sometimes I am in the mood for a really good movie with some provoking thought behind it, but for the most part I like fluff stuff. Kind of like my crap TV shows.
2.gif

My all time favorite is Gone with the Wind. I know...kind of cheesy but I always adored it and loved the book too.

Adored Pretty Woman & The Princess Bride. Also, was raised around the time of Weird Science which I loved and Real Genius...HAH. I am dating myself now.

Some other stupid but fun ones:

• Something About Mary
  • Van Wilder (I have seen this about 20 times and it was our first DVD!)
  • Legally Blonde 1
  • Revenge of The Nerds (Booger!)

Some other favorites:

• The Color Purple (LOVE this movie and have seen it many times)
  • Emma
  • Star Wars (old ones..not new!)
  • The Neverending Story
  • Pretty in Pink (I was in love with Jake)
  • True Lies
  • Terminator 1 (this is a classic in my parents household...my dad does the 'I'll be back' quite well)
  • Indiana Jones (again a classic in our house)

I like almost any type of movie that is not TOO serious, I would almost always rather watch a movie even if it's for the 20th time..than watch a TV show. Same with books, I re-read them over. If they are older movies I can relive where I was at that point in my life by watching the movie.
1.gif

In terms of what is on the list..we wanted to see Troy and Van Helsing but both came out around wedding time so we didn't make it--now must wait for DVD. Just got back tonite from seeing Stepford Wives (hilarious but stupid) and saw White Chicks last week with my mom and sisters. We want to see Harry Potter this weekend as well. Coming up I am dying to see I, Robot and The Village from M. Night Shamalayan...those movies absolutely freak me out and I try to not see too many of them (Signs gave me nightmares for MONTHS about aliens in our yard...yes I know, insane) but if they are good then I have to go.

2.gif

Another favorite:

St Elmo's Fire.

The preview for I, Robot sure looked good. That new T. Cruise movie "Collateral" looked wierd.

..I can't believe I forgot this one.

The Sting.

Hmmm . . .I love the Harry Potter movies and just wanted to mention these since the third one is out right now and these movies and books are wonderful, and the Indian Jones movies are also great. Harrison Ford IS so sexy in these films and in the old star wars films (which we watch all the time. my kids love them) so I lust all the time over him (when I was young, I actually thought Luke was the cute one, but now he drives me nuts - way too whiney
1.gif
lol.

F&I - have you read I, Robot? The movie trailer looked like the movie decimates the entire premise of Asimov's story/philosophy of the Robots (as in the three laws) which really pisses me off. Hopefully I'm wrong as a quick trailer does leave enough out of the storyline to surprise anyone! My husband has read all of Asimov so if the movie doesn't live up to the real story, he will flip and all hell will break loose in our household
6.gif

Michelle

Lucky for me I have not read the book Michelle, the movie is NEVER as good (usually in the interest of time)!

Oh and I saw one today I forgot to add. LOVED this movie growing up.....

Clash of the Titans!
2.gif
Woo hoo Harry Hamlin! I used to dream I was Princess Andromeda.
love.gif

Hi Michelle - I don't really read Science Fic. (except for Crichton) So, the movie is for sheer enjoyment.

----------------
On 7/11/2004 10:41:27 AM fire&ice wrote:

Hi Michelle - I don't really read Science Fic. (except for Crichton) So, the movie is for sheer enjoyment. ----------------

That's cool. I don't like sci fi books all that much (except douglas adams) but my husband is obsessed with that genre and fantasy too and occasionally forces me to read these books. Usually, I can finish a book in a week (a few hours reading a night), but whenever I read one of DH's books, it takes me at least a month due to lack of motivation (lol)! (I HAVE put my foot down in rebellion though, because I tried to get him to read, "to kill a mockingbird," and he refuses, so no more robot books to bore me to death (phew!)
9.gif

Michelle

How could I forget...it was on last night...THE SAND LOT!!

I just saw Anchorman last night, and it was hilarious! That brand of comedy is right up my alley. I laughed so hard I cried (and I snorted several times, much to my SO's embarrassment!)
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results