shape
carat
color
clarity

Let it all hangout -- The Grumpies, whinies, complainies Get It Off Your Chest Thread....

empliau

Shiny_Rock
My birthday earrings - I had them sent to the local FedEx office store for pickup. I had used them before with no difficulty. I got the text that they had arrived, but I was still having chest pain and cough from my bout with Covid, so I called to ask if my husband could pick it up. They told me they didn't have it.

Say what? FedEx can't deliver accurately to the only FedEx office store in my town? They told me someone had signed for it. Well goody, but I want my earrings. That the driver claimed someone at what was obviously the wrong address signed means nothing to me -- anyway, it was a rough two hours. I went down and was polite. It was, after all, not the fault of the people in the store.

Two hours later I got a call that they had my earrings. I still don't know what went wrong, but wowza. If FedEx can't accurately deliver to FedEx, something is desperately wrong.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can you stand another FEDEX rant?
DK sent me an overnight. I was home sitting near my door. Fedex claimed they tried to deliver but clearly did not. They won't let me pick up so I asked DK to change it to pick up. He said they did and Fedex claims there is no instruction for that!

They are now claiming the address was wrong but the tracking says will try again Monday. WTF? Why a e they so awful? I can't change the address-it was fine. And they won't hold it cause they claim it wasn't to be held by the shipper. And which is it? how did you try and deliver and no one was home AND the address was wrong?

I am beside myself I despise Fedex they literally do not even try.

I'm so sorry. It seems almost no business even tries anymore. I'm on a subreddit that refers to this as the overall "ensh*tification" of everything.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My birthday earrings - I had them sent to the local FedEx office store for pickup. I had used them before with no difficulty. I got the text that they had arrived, but I was still having chest pain and cough from my bout with Covid, so I called to ask if my husband could pick it up. They told me they didn't have it.

Say what? FedEx can't deliver accurately to the only FedEx office store in my town? They told me someone had signed for it. Well goody, but I want my earrings. That the driver claimed someone at what was obviously the wrong address signed means nothing to me -- anyway, it was a rough two hours. I went down and was polite. It was, after all, not the fault of the people in the store.

Two hours later I got a call that they had my earrings. I still don't know what went wrong, but wowza. If FedEx can't accurately deliver to FedEx, something is desperately wrong.

I has something similar happen with USPS overnight mail. I got a text saying it had been delivered. But it wasn't delivered to me. I called USPS and they said that their notes said it was "picked up and signed for at the P.O." Not by me. They tried to tell me that someone had just checked the wrong box about delivery and I'd probably get it the next day. No. A week later, it was delivered but to my neighbor!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Better late than never!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CNN is reporting that Home Depot's halloween decor is already selling out. Does no one other than me live in the moment? Buy stuff in the actual season in which it occurs and in the actual month when it's relevant? Why must I buy winter clothes in spring and summer clothes in winter in anticipation. I anticipate the month, maybe even the week, before I need something and of course can't find it in my size or color or at all. I exist out of time and out of sync with the norm and I refuse to change and shall exist in a state of permanent annoyance at the retail industry. rant over.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brat -- er... I mean Matata, at the risk of driving you to drink (more), I've spent all of July listing Christmas things in my shop. And they are selling like hotcakes. :saint: :cheeky:

If it makes you feel any better, I did title the whole event "Christmas in July." Overused and trite, but at least I am acknowledging that snow is not REALLY right around the corner!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brat -- er... I mean Matata, at the risk of driving you to drink (more), I've spent all of July listing Christmas things in my shop. And they are selling like hotcakes. :saint: :cheeky:

Et tu Brute....

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have only had about an inch of rain in total in the last 6 to 8 weeks. It is so dry. I have a lingering Ash tree that I needed to dump about 300 gallons of water on because if it ever produces seeds again it will be very valuable in preserving the species. I have spent a lot of time watering plants because even the native plants are suffering as well as my fruit trees.

I noticed the weather pattern change in my area about 6 years ago. Prolonged dry spells in the summer. I put in some tiny ponds for the critters due to this. So at least there's that bright spot in my yard.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We have only had about an inch of rain in total in the last 6 to 8 weeks. It is so dry. I have a lingering Ash tree that I needed to dump about 300 gallons of water on because if it ever produces seeds again it will be very valuable in preserving the species. I have spent a lot of time watering plants because even the native plants are suffering as well as my fruit trees.

I noticed the weather pattern change in my area about 6 years ago. Prolonged dry spells in the summer. I put in some tiny ponds for the critters due to this. So at least there's that bright spot in my yard.

Our summers had been trending in this same direction in recent years, with detrimental effects especially on our attempts to grow veggies, but this July, we've had a week where it just dumped buckets in short periods of time several days, unlike anything I remember seeing in July here. If I hadn't brought my pots of flowers in to my porch under cover in the nick of time on several different days, they would have been washed out. Our melon plants in the veggie garden were outright killed by too much moisture, and the tomato and cucumber plants are really, really suffering. It's getting too difficult to even try to grow veggies/fruit.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Weeeeeeeeeedz every where and not the kind for smoking. I spent a mere 5 minutes pulling weeds and had a pile 6" high. Lots of stuff to deadhead too. Last time I asked DH for help with that, he chopped my Scabiosa down to the ground upon which I dissolved into tears and called him some bad names.

Then I went to talk to the lime and lemon trees in the greenhouse and ended running into a black widow spider whose body was as big as my thumb nail :eek-2:. She told me to get the heck out of her greenhouse and I was happy to obey.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Powder room spruce up -- Since the house was in a mess due to guest bath reno and I would have the services of a good plumber, I decided to change out the aging fixtures in the powder room. Got rid of the pedestal sink and old leaky toilet.

Bought a wall-mounted sink thinking, "piece of cake" to switch them out. Wrong. Had to make a big hole in the wall to install a brace to hold the sink on the wall. Silly me thought a stud was behind that section of the drywall. Then had to wait for the painter to paint the room. He painted it incorrectly yesterday. Used semi-gloss paint in a small room even though I gave him the old paint can and said "same color, same sheen". It looked like a hall of mirrors in there.

I am currently watching him repaint the room.

In the meantime, as I was cleaning up in the garage, I saw that the new yet to be installed sink was cracked!!!! No one has touched it since the plumber was here last week to tear the big hole in the wall. Plumber said duhhhh, contractor said duhhhh. Had to order a new sink which won't get here til next week delaying what was supposed to be finished this week.

All of this because I thought it would be a good idea to give a small room a facelift. Stupid me.

Other than a few minor WTFs, the bigger bathroom reno went fairly smoothly. Still waiting for the switch plates to arrive because the electrician forgot to order them....twice.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of this because I thought it would be a good idea to give a small room a facelift. Stupid me.

okay, now you've got me rethinking something similar. However your next commet

Other than a few minor WTFs, the bigger bathroom reno went fairly smoothly. Still waiting for the switch plates to arrive because the electrician forgot to order them....twice.

gives me some hope.....I'm just not sure how to find a good contractor to renovate a bathroom. I hear so many horror stories.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm just not sure how to find a good contractor to renovate a bathroom. I hear so many horror stories.

I got lucky when I found one 5 yrs ago to do master bathroom gut.. However, in the 5 yrs since, he has lost his edge and I've talked to him about it several times. His body is telling him to retire but his bank account is saying he needs to work til he shuffles off his mortal coil. His subs are great though -- tiler, electrician, plumber.

Ask whoever you interview if it's ok for you to contact past clients. That's the only way to know how good someone is other than using people your friends have used and already vetted.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

In the last few days I've seen trees turning yellow. Really? :(( Say it ain't so!!

cheers--Sharon

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

In the last few days I've seen trees turning yellow. Really? :(( Say it ain't so!!

cheers--Sharon

Could it be lack of rain or unusual weather? I have one turning yellow and have assumed it was the high heat and humidity we’ve had. Much worse than normal.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could it be lack of rain or unusual weather? I have one turning yellow and have assumed it was the high heat and humidity we’ve had. Much worse than normal.

All my plant/trees are suffering from the usual here -- hot, dry, and smoky. We usually have hot dry summers. It's the smoke that takes its toll on the plants.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All my plant/trees are suffering from the usual here -- hot, dry, and smoky. We usually have hot dry summers. It's the smoke that takes its toll on the plants.

That's interesting. We haven't have the smoke issue here though and I do have one tree turning yellow. Maybe I'll see if anyone around here has the same issue and knows what's going on. Sorry your plants and trees are suffering. I know it's hard to see.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I’ve spent the past view days battling fever and chills and I leave for a family trip to Yellowstone tomorrow. Yesterday I went to the doctor and discovered I have pneumonia. Good news is the antibiotics should help and it’s explains why I was negative for flu. I already had Covid and in July!!!! so it feels like such a back-to-back illness. I feel slightly better today, but I’m really nervous about this trip because it sucks to try to sightsee and do things you want to do yet be sick. I’m so bummed.

ETA - also the forecast for Yellowstone during our time there is lots of showers and storms. Whomp whomp.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve spent the past view days battling fever and chills and I leave for a family trip to Yellowstone tomorrow. Yesterday I went to the doctor and discovered I have pneumonia. Good news is the antibiotics should help and it’s explains why I was negative for flu. I already had Covid and in July!!!! so it feels like such a back-to-back illness. I feel slightly better today, but I’m really nervous about this trip because it sucks to try to sightsee and do things you want to do yet be sick. I’m so bummed.

ETA - also the forecast for Yellowstone during our time there is lots of showers and storms. Whomp whomp.

Do you HAVE to go? Anything involving compromised breathing/oxygen equals a “no can do” in my book.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Do you HAVE to go? Anything involving compromised breathing/oxygen equals a “no can do” in my book.

I’m not short of breath at all. I was shocked that I had it because he didn’t hear anything on the stethoscope and just decided to do a chest x-ray almost offhandedly. I think it’s a mild case.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not short of breath at all. I was shocked that I had it because he didn’t hear anything on the stethoscope and just decided to do a chest x-ray almost offhandedly. I think it’s a mild case.

You have to be really careful with pneumonia. I don't know how old you are, or if you have had the pneumonia vaccine, but it can be dangerous for people who are older. And don't forget there was a thing called "walking pneumonia" where symptoms were fairly non-existent. Not sure if there is still something called that, but you really need to rest to recover. The one time I had pneumonia, in my early 30's, I stayed in bed for several days. Did your doctor give you clearance to travel? Are you flying or driving?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
L
You have to be really careful with pneumonia. I don't know how old you are, or if you have had the pneumonia vaccine, but it can be dangerous for people who are older. And don't forget there was a thing called "walking pneumonia" where symptoms were fairly non-existent. Not sure if there is still something called that, but you really need to rest to recover. The one time I had pneumonia, in my early 30's, I stayed in bed for several days. Did your doctor give you clearance to travel? Are you flying or driving?

He knew I was traveling. I am 49. It’s is upper lobe. DH will be doing all the driving.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not that I know why, but I'm glad you're driving and not flying. And you can sleep while he drives!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Not that I know why, but I'm glad you're driving and not flying. And you can sleep while he drives!

Cabin pressure can lower oxygen but my levels are 97-98 right now. It was 96 at doc office. I was so surprised at the diagnosis but so glad he ordered the xray bc I think a lot of people would have just thought virus and that would be the end of it. I wouldn’t have even seen a doctor if it weren’t for the upcoming trip! Because I thought the same thing. I’m fever free now and feeling better after day 2 of antibiotics

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a first world problem. I went to the mall and did a smell test on all the perfumes recommended to me. I didn't like a single one. My Godson was with me (we were school shopping for him) and he didn't like any of them either. Too floral, too artificial. I was looking for something with strong pear, apple or apricot notes or something that smelled like roses or gardenias. The rose scents recommended to me did not smell like rose. The gardenia scents recommended to me leaned on the green side, without the creamy sweetness I associate with gardenias. The fruit scents smelled powdery and floral. Back to the drawing board on finding something fruity and fresh.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Lisa Loves Shiny, have you tried posting it on Fragrantica? You'll get lots of recomendations (unless you already did and that was the result?)

I love rose perfumes too. Here are a few that are very good and unmistakably rose:
Goutal Rose Absolue EDP, which is a blend of 6 different roses. Fabulous fragrance. No question it's roses, all the way! This is my top recommendation.
Diptyque Eau Rose-- lighter and more like a rosewater scent.
• Montale Highness Rose (parfum) -- more linear than the Goutal (i.e. the scent remains the same while you wear it; it does not evolve) but similar fragrance profile to Goutal's. Very long lasting. Parfums Raffy sells samples and bottles.

And here are a few gardenia fragrances that I think smell like what you are looking for:
• Tocca Florence-- I think this may be what you're aiming for. They sell small travel size bottles so it's not costly to test it. Sephora may have testers.
• Coty Sand & Sable-- an oldie but goodie. The more recent formulations seem a bit thin to me; old bottles are better. It has the advantage of being quite affordable, too!

Last edited:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

OKOKOK advertizing for Christmas is just not cool.....

cheers--Sharon

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Lisa Loves Shiny, have you tried posting it on Fragrantica? You'll get lots of recomendations (unless you already did and that was the result?)

I love rose perfumes too. Here are a few that are very good and unmistakably rose:
Goutal Rose Absolue EDP, which is a blend of 6 different roses. Fabulous fragrance. No question it's roses, all the way! This is my top recommendation.
Diptyque Eau Rose-- lighter and more like a rosewater scent.

Annick Goutal Rose Absolue Women's Eau de Parfum Spray,​

(parfum) -- more linear than the Goutal (i.e. the scent remains the same while you wear it; it does not evolve) but similar fragrance profile to Goutal's. Very long lasting. Parfums Raffy sells samples and bottles.

And here are a few gardenia fragrances that I think smell like what you are looking for:

Annick Goutal Rose Absolue Women's Eau de Parfum Spray​

- I think this may be what you're aiming for. They sell small travel size bottles so it's not costly to test it. Sephora may have testers.
• Coty Sand & Sable-- an oldie but goodie. The more recent formulations seem a bit thin to me; old bottles are better. It has the advantage of being quite affordable, too!

Thank you so much for the well thought out and helpful reply. The Goutal Rose Absolue sounds amazing! It's hard to find but I was able to a 10ml size to test out. I bought a nine roller sample size set of Tocca to try out to. Thank you! :)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Lisa Loves Shiny, I literally just bought the Tocca Florence (found it at Marshall’s on clearance) and it is gorgeous. If you are looking for gardenia, that is it.

The bottle is very small but should last a while because I’ve found you don’t need much. Here it is with a large apple for comparison:

IMG_0415.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results