shape
carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Piece!

Happy Friday! So my steal deal old euro eBay find arrived today after passing authentication. GIA didn’t grade the stone but confirmed it’s a natural old euro that’s 1.74 carats. The stone looks a lot whiter then it’s showing up in videos, you’ll see the culet is off center, and I believe the white dots you see in the video below are little surface scratches that could get polished out. Setting is stamped belais as well. Would I have chosen this stone if it was at a normal price, but for $3k I think I did pretty well. What do you all think? (It’s cloudy today so tried to capture a video as best as I could, please excuse the bit of lint you see). IMG_9428.jpegIMG_9418.jpegIMG_9425.jpegIMG_9420.jpeg

The last picture :kiss2: You could get lost in those facets! Congrats, it’s stunning!

Happy Friday! So my steal deal old euro eBay find arrived today after passing authentication. GIA didn’t grade the stone but confirmed it’s a natural old euro that’s 1.74 carats. The stone looks a lot whiter then it’s showing up in videos, you’ll see the culet is off center, and I believe the white dots you see in the video below are little surface scratches that could get polished out. Setting is stamped belais as well. Would I have chosen this stone if it was at a normal price, but for $3k I think I did pretty well. What do you all think? (It’s cloudy today so tried to capture a video as best as I could, please excuse the bit of lint you see). IMG_9428.jpegIMG_9418.jpegIMG_9425.jpegIMG_9420.jpeg

Smoking deal.

Absolutely fantastic!! :kiss2: How do you like the setting? Do you plan on keeping it as is?

Absolutely fantastic!! :kiss2: How do you like the setting? Do you plan on keeping it as is?

Thanks so much everyone! I mostly wear yellow gold and, in my heart, that’s what I want, but I’m going to wear it for a while as-is and then decide. It’s a pretty setting but these art deco settings don’t speak to me (please don’t kick me off this forum!). If I did reset I’d put a sapphire in this setting.

Is anyone else worried by how thin the bottom looks? And there’s a chip on the diamond. For the age, it’s understandable. But a buyer might want to consider both.

Do you mean the ring I linked, or a different piece?

Wow a Belais to boot! That is fantastic. The price is SO low for the size of that stone so I think you did well. I think you would probably get out what you paid in this instance if you every decided to resell.

stunning! Those white spots look like just dried water spots. I don’t see any damage. In the last image there looks to be an inclusion at 6 o’clock, maybe a natural. But the whole package is amazing and you should enjoy your treat!

Isn't this at least the 2nd return of this?

First AFAIK. But it took so long to come back on. I’m curious about it. Not curious enough to buy it though.

stunning! Those white spots look like just dried water spots. I don’t see any damage. In the last image there looks to be an inclusion at 6 o’clock, maybe a natural. But the whole package is amazing and you should enjoy your treat!

Oh gosh I hope it’s just water spots! Going to swing by my jewelers soon and have them look at it under the microscope

Oh wow, this is gorgeous! What a find! I'd love to see more pics, including the profile if you get a chance. Have you cleaned the ring since you received it? I'm thinking the stone might be a bit dirty.

Oh wow, this is gorgeous! What a find! I'd love to see more pics, including the profile if you get a chance. Have you cleaned the ring since you received it? I'm thinking the stone might be a bit dirty.

I’d love to send but I just dropped her off at my jewelers to get appraised. I get nervous having such an expensive stone without it being on my insurance. The GIA graduate who works at the jewelry shop is amazing and loves how much I want to learn about jewelry. We looked at the stone under the microscope and get this, all those white pin points appear to be a residue left in the top of the diamond from whatever was put on the stone to protect it during a past repair to the setting. They are going to see if they can get the residue off with some special cleaner they have. When we looked under 30x magnification there wasn’t a single inclusion! Just two very small chips (one of the edge and one on a facet).

At this point I think it may be worth sending to GIA. First step will be getting the residue off and figure out where to go from here.

More photos to come in a week when I get the ring back.

I am not a fan of the center stone but the side stones - are they perruzzi? Those crowns look super high and have a more angular shape than oec or omc I think.

@Mreader , I have one that could pass as one (according to my appraiser) and mine is very chunky and flat Screenshot_20240914_135533_Photos.jpg

I’d love to send but I just dropped her off at my jewelers to get appraised. I get nervous having such an expensive stone without it being on my insurance. The GIA graduate who works at the jewelry shop is amazing and loves how much I want to learn about jewelry. We looked at the stone under the microscope and get this, all those white pin points appear to be a residue left in the top of the diamond from whatever was put on the stone to protect it during a past repair to the setting. They are going to see if they can get the residue off with some special cleaner they have. When we looked under 30x magnification there wasn’t a single inclusion! Just two very small chips (one of the edge and one on a facet).

At this point I think it may be worth sending to GIA. First step will be getting the residue off and figure out where to go from here.

More photos to come in a week when I get the ring back.

What did they think about color?

She wanted to take it in the back so it wasn’t under the warm jewelry store lighting but j/k is the initial hunch. I’m fine with it, I like a warmer old stone.

This is a nice low tint for old cuts. You almost never see them any less tinted than that!

Hmmmm…. Perhaps this should transition from a pin to a pendant? 5-6mm gorgeous OEC’s, pearls and a cabochon ruby in a leaf pattern anyone? :kiss2:IMG_2534.jpeg

Beautiful! Where is it from ?

Omg, I love your ring so much! CONGRATULATIONS!

PS, take it from me, please:

Wear the ring as is DO NOT think about repolishing an antique stone unless you want a dramatic change in faceting/look. It can’t be done without changing minute proportions which make a difference IMO. I’ve seen too many people including professionals trivialize antique faceting, saying it can be achieved by modern cutters. It’s just not the case in all but the superstar cutters.

Omg, I love your ring so much! CONGRATULATIONS!

PS, take it from me, please:

Wear the ring as is DO NOT think about repolishing an antique stone unless you want a dramatic change in faceting/look. It can’t be done without changing minute proportions which make a difference IMO. I’ve seen too many people including professionals trivialize antique faceting, saying it can be achieved by modern cutters. It’s just not the case in all but the superstar cutters.

Thank you for the well wishes and I appreciate the advice! I’m hoping that their stronger cleaner will do the trick. Fingers crossed!

Thanks so much everyone! I mostly wear yellow gold and, in my heart, that’s what I want, but I’m going to wear it for a while as-is and then decide. It’s a pretty setting but these art deco settings don’t speak to me (please don’t kick me off this forum!). If I did reset I’d put a sapphire in this setting.

I wonder if a straight appraisal from your jeweler would suffice for insurance, it should. Personally I would not unmount the stone and send to GIA. Then it will be loose. Just wear it until you reset it and then get it unmounted and sent to GIA as part of the setting process. This is the BEST story!

So we need links lol. That is the point of the Somebody's Gotta Buy this Piece thread :lol-2:

Geez, Ya’all are so demanding… :lol-2: :lol-2: :lol-2: :lol-2: :lol-2:

Here you go! Now if someone could please bid on this and put me out of my misery, I want this SOOOO BAD. Those OEC’s are perfect and well, that ruby, she speaks for herself … she’s begging to be converted- she would have weekly wear with me- so someone please give her ALL the love :kiss2:

Happy bidding…. Ok, back to saving for my HG, oh the things I’ve passed on over the past year and a half for her, she’s SO worth it, but this one will haunt me…. sigh.

Paulding Farnham for Tiffany & Co. Ruby, Diamond, Pearl, Platinum-Topped Gold Brooch, Edwardian St... https://jewelry.ha.com/itm/estate-j...m-topped-gold-brooch-edwardian/p/5559-16001.s
https://jewelry.ha.com/itm/estate-j...m-topped-gold-brooch-edwardian/p/5559-16001.s

Geez, Ya’all are so demanding… :lol-2: :lol-2: :lol-2: :lol-2: :lol-2:

Here you go! Now if someone could please bid on this and put me out of my misery, I want this SOOOO BAD. Those OEC’s are perfect and well, that ruby, she speaks for herself … she’s begging to be converted- she would have weekly wear with me- so someone please give her ALL the love :kiss2:

Happy bidding…. Ok, back to saving for my HG, oh the things I’ve passed on over the past year and a half for her, she’s SO worth it, but this one will haunt me…. sigh.

Paulding Farnham for Tiffany & Co. Ruby, Diamond, Pearl, Platinum-Topped Gold Brooch, Edwardian St... https://jewelry.ha.com/itm/estate-j...m-topped-gold-brooch-edwardian/p/5559-16001.s
https://jewelry.ha.com/itm/estate-j...m-topped-gold-brooch-edwardian/p/5559-16001.s

This is stunning. I am obsessed with The Gilded Age and ohhhh if only the stones could speak!

This is stunning. I am obsessed with The Gilded Age and ohhhh if only the stones could speak!

Me too! There’s just something so incredibly special about it that cannot be repeated today. And then you throw Antique Tiffany in there… and old euros, rubies AND pearls??! It seriously doesn’t get better.

I really hope someone from PS buys this. It’s truly a dream piece and I’ll probably never see anything like it again. But I can’t give up on my HG❤️

Me too! There’s just something so incredibly special about it that cannot be repeated today. And then you throw Antique Tiffany in there… and old euros, rubies AND pearls??! It seriously doesn’t get better.

I really hope someone from PS buys this. It’s truly a dream piece and I’ll probably never see anything like it again. But I can’t give up on my HG❤️

It's stunning!

I may have missed this, but do you have a particular HG stone you're waiting for? Or just a particular size range and stats?

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP