shape
carat
color
clarity

Your Latest Jewelry Purchases/Things You're Considering....

These old puppies are deep so it might very well be over 1.5ct if those face up measures are good. And I don’t care one bit about inclusions anymore unless it’s a giant black glob in the middle. Can’t wait to hear what GOA says!

You must have a rather large stash of loose old cuts now. Please share pictures!

Yeah, I keep buying loose stones, but not doing much with them. Your 5 stone journey actually inspired me to realize I have a good set of stones to make a graduated 5 stone myself, which I will do some day. I just need to settle on what kind of setting I want. Will start a thread at some point, but in the meantime I'm eager to follow your project's progress!

Yeah, I keep buying loose stones, but not doing much with them. Your 5 stone journey actually inspired me to realize I have a good set of stones to make a graduated 5 stone myself, which I will do some day. I just need to settle on what kind of setting I want. Will start a thread at some point, but in the meantime I'm eager to follow your project's progress!

Ugh I cannot for the life of me decide what direction I want to go with a setting and who I want to work with. I’m hoping to get that ball rolling in late January. I will definitely see asking for opinions!

Sounds like your suite might be more graduated? I hope it stars this amazing one you just got! That would be amazing with a sharp graduation. Maybe .7s and .3s for the sides.

I'll sell you the setting for scrap value if you want it! Lol

Sorry to threadjack briefly, but how do you usually go about selling for scrap value? Do you go to one of those gold places? How do you structure the bargaining? My local jeweler keeps telling me to take it to a local gold place because they supposedly would give me a better deal. Any advice would be helpful, thank you!

Sorry to threadjack briefly, but how do you usually go about selling for scrap value? Do you go to one of those gold places? How do you structure the bargaining? My local jeweler keeps telling me to take it to a local gold place because they supposedly would give me a better deal. Any advice would be helpful, thank you!

I haven't actually been yet!! I work right by the Diamond District in Manhattan, so I plan to go to Manhattan Gold & Silver since that's where Tales from the Junkpile goes, and I know they have a good reputation. I just haven't had time yet. I'll post about it once I finally go!

I haven't actually been yet!! I work right by the Diamond District in Manhattan, so I plan to go to Manhattan Gold & Silver since that's where Tales from the Junkpile goes, and I know they have a good reputation. I just haven't had time yet. I'll post about it once I finally go!

Thank you so much--I am such a chicken when it comes to bargaining!

Ugh I cannot for the life of me decide what direction I want to go with a setting and who I want to work with. I’m hoping to get that ball rolling in late January. I will definitely see asking for opinions!

Sounds like your suite might be more graduated? I hope it stars this amazing one you just got! That would be amazing with a sharp graduation. Maybe .7s and .3s for the sides.

Yes, the stones I have would be graduated - 0.8, 0.62 x 2, 0.35 x 2. I tried Dolly's method, and my results weren't as good as hers but it gives me an idea that it will span my size 8.75 finger well.

20240727_141702-EDIT.jpg

My petite .65 pear on the left, that I got in 2020 solidified my love of old cut pears and I’ve been on the hunt for a chunky upgrade that I’d love to someday turn into a full set inspired by this Andrea Barbone beauty (second photo). She arrived today and I’ve been admiring since 8), 1.05 J VS1:

IMG_2630.jpegIMG_2631.jpeg

I just ticked another smaller purchase off my list! I have been casually looking for a small ruby for about a year for a project and I bought it today! Yvonne had posted a gorgeous pair of 4mm Burmese rubies and I was naughty and emailed to ask if she had any others and she generously split the pair for me. It’s the one I circled here, which is slightly redder and a touch silkier. But I love how intense it is!

IMG_3448.jpeg

I’m planning to set it with these two GIA graded H/I color OECs I bought on eBay earlier this year.

IMG_2523.jpeg

I want to make a ring like this one that @Mreader owns.
IMG_3435.png

But I might set the stones like this for added texture and because I prefer to avoid bezels.

IMG_2405.jpeg

IMG_3459.jpeg

Ruby and Diamond are my and my husband’s birthstones so this will be a special ring but also a versatile staple for my collection.

My Ruby arrived and I love it so much. It is RED in person. Just screaming red. The camera wants to make it pink but it’s not. My only complaint is I wish it was bigger :cry2: But it looks perfect with my pair of H/I OECs and it will be perfect in the flush style setting.

IMG_3536.jpeg

Maybe a hint of pink in sunlight.
IMG_3535.jpeg

But this is how it looks to my eyes.
IMG_3545.jpeg

Compared to my pink sapphires.
IMG_3538.jpeg

EDIT @kathley if the 3mm Burmese rubies you got from Yvonne for your ring look like this I think you will be so happy!!

Last edited:
My Ruby arrived and I love it so much. It is RED in person. Just screaming red. The camera wants to make it pink but it’s not. My only complaint is I wish it was bigger :cry2: But it looks perfect with my pair of H/I OECs and it will be perfect in the flush style setting.

IMG_3536.jpeg

IMG_3535.jpeg

IMG_3545.jpeg

IMG_3538.jpeg

Beautiful! And so hard to find a true red.

Thank you so much--I am such a chicken when it comes to bargaining!

Where I live there are a few places that advertise buying scrap gold and they post the price of the day and there is no bargaining! Very easy. They are both pawn shops.

IMG_3536.jpeg

IMG_3535.jpeg

IMG_3545.jpeg

IMG_3538.jpeg

EDIT @kathley if the 3mm Burmese rubies you got from Yvonne for your ring look like this I think you will be so happy!!

Gorgeous! That'll be a beautiful flush set ring. If only gold prices would come down!

It's beautiful, so elegant. I love the way the bale is kept tucked in, so it all but disappears on your neck.
Thank you! That’s exactly what I love about the bale, it disappears

It's hard to capture in photos but even my Tiffany rose gold pieces look like slightly different colors from each other. I think that's kind of the nature of rose gold and some of it may be due to patina. My bracelet is the oldest, then some earrings, then a necklace, then a ring and that's the order they go in from most yellow (oldest) to most coppery (newest).
I left my T&Co rose gold dbty bracelet with the jeweller to fix the clasp & they cleaned/polished it (it’s in the comparison photo I posted earlier in the thread). Now it’s so pink!! I originally bought it from eBay so much have had quite a lot of patina because it matched my peach rose gold Cartier bracelets exactly. Now it’s definitely much pinker.

Very classy. I am curious about the thickness of your chain. Do you know the exact measurements and what type of chain it is exactly? (excuse my ignorance regarding chain texture). I am looking for a chain that is not wispy but still light looking. Yours fits that description.
All I know is it’s a curb chain. It’s got some weight to it (which I love) & it’s lovely & sparkly in sunlight.

Finally picked up my pendant today & I love it!! The chain is sparkly (diamond cut curb chain) & it’s a beautiful colour- it matches my Cartier diamond JUC pendant perfectly. I really can’t wait to layer these, it elevates the JUC pendant. The diamond was taken from my original engagement ring & it’s about 0.30ct, I colour. It looks SO MUCH BIGGER in the bezel setting (so much so that I joked to my husband that I didn’t need a new engagement ring after all, I should have just bezelled it :lol:). It looks really white too. It was only when I compared it to my E pear that I saw the tint, but for a pendant it’s perfectly white enough.

We did this project as my 10th wedding anniversary gift so it’s been put away until mid October- will come back & post lots of photos then!! Until then I will continue to wear my new platinum emerald cut pendant daily. Feeling very lucky :kiss2:

Last edited:
My Victor Canera earrings came in! Though I don't honestly love the lever back, I think my earlobes are too small for it. The loop part dangles way below my ear and the post is long enough that they move around because there's no tension on the lobe. It also makes my piercings look stretched when no other earrings really do.... Does anyone have suggestions for the best solution? The blue outline is roughly my full earlobe size and thickness.

Falling forwards:
1725653859811.png

Nicely in place but still not super flattering to the piercing....This is going to be my reminder to take my earrings out at night.
1725653593266.png

Blue is roughly how big my lobe is when the earring is in place
1725653618269.png

Hinge open:
1725653642384.png

More fun, here's a video of all of my antique or antique-ish diamond pieces together! These earrings and the French cut band are still returnable.

My petite .65 pear on the left, that I got in 2020 solidified my love of old cut pears and I’ve been on the hunt for a chunky upgrade that I’d love to someday turn into a full set inspired by this Andrea Barbone beauty (second photo). She arrived today and I’ve been admiring since 8), 1.05 J VS1:

IMG_2630.jpegIMG_2631.jpeg
I love your inspiration photo! I have a pear engagement ring (a similar size to your sparkly new one) but love the idea of putting it in a bezel. Perhaps in a brushed rose gold. Looking forward to watching your project journey!

My Victor Canera earrings came in! Though I don't honestly love the lever back, I think my earlobes are too small for it. The loop part dangles way below my ear and the post is long enough that they move around because there's no tension on the lobe. It also makes my piercings look stretched when no other earrings really do.... Does anyone have suggestions for the best solution? The blue outline is roughly my full earlobe size and thickness.

Falling forwards:
1725653859811.png

Nicely in place but still not super flattering to the piercing....This is going to be my reminder to take my earrings out at night.
1725653593266.png

1725653618269.png

Hinge open:
1725653642384.png

More fun, here's a video of all of my antique or antique-ish diamond pieces together! These earrings and the French cut band are still returnable.

The earrings are beautiful (& your video is what dreams are made of! Stunning)! I’m sorry you’re having issues with the post, I’m sure someone more knowledgeable than me can suggest how to fix it, but I hope you keep them. They match your brooch perfectly.

Last edited:

Falling forwards:
1725653859811.png

1725653593266.png

1725653618269.png

Hinge open:
1725653642384.png

Bling dots may help to hold them up. I think you can have the lever adjusted? Maybe check with a jeweler on that. Perhaps they can shorten the post and adjust the lever at the same time. They are beautiful!

The earrings are beautiful (& your video is what dreams are made of! Stunning)! I’m sorry you’re having issues with the post, I’m sure someone more knowledgeable than me can suggest how to fix it, but I hope you keep them. They match your brooch perfectly.
Thank you! I thought they would be a match made in heaven with the brooch and I think I'm right :) I feel super lucky to be building up the collection I'm getting.

I'm so excited to see your pendant when it comes in, by the way! Isn't rose gold so odd? There are just so many shades. Congratulations on a reset that you're so excited about!

Bling dots may help to hold them up. I think you can have the lever adjusted? Maybe check with a jeweler on that. Perhaps they can shorten the post and adjust the lever at the same time. They are beautiful!
I don't have bling dots but that gave me the thought of filling the space with those little clear earring backs that some sellers use with French wires. I have a pair that's just the right length! Kind of annoying to put on so I'm hoping the lever can be adjusted and the post shortened, but at least this makes them wearable. I'll look at bling dots as a better version!

I don't think anyone ever needed to see my ears this close up, but it was the best way to show what I'm doing (plus now you can see the articulation):
1725655286104.png
1725655462906.png

I
Thank you! I thought they would be a match made in heaven with the brooch and I think I'm right :) I feel super lucky to be building up the collection I'm getting.

I'm so excited to see your pendant when it comes in, by the way! Isn't rose gold so odd? There are just so many shades. Congratulations on a reset that you're so excited about!

I don't have bling dots but that gave me the thought of filling the space with those little clear earring backs that some sellers use with French wires. I have a pair that's just the right length! Kind of annoying to put on so I'm hoping the lever can be adjusted and the post shortened, but at least this makes them wearable. I'll look at bling dots as a better version!

I don't think anyone ever needed to see my ears this close up, but it was the best way to show what I'm doing (plus now you can see the articulation):
1725655286104.png
1725655462906.png

Such a clever idea!

1725655286104.png
1725655462906.png

Looks much better - no hole stretching - with the added piece. You get an A+ in problem solving and can enjoy your beautiful earrings now!

Those look so lovely on your ears! Great idea with the clear earring backs!

IMG_3536.jpeg

IMG_3535.jpeg

IMG_3545.jpeg

IMG_3538.jpeg

Beautiful ruby @Dreamer_D ! Did you buy the pair or just the one? I am looking forward to seeing this trilogy project and also your OEC ring project! (By the way, if you bought the ruby pair and do not have a use for the other 4mm ruby, well, someone may be interested)

Beautiful ruby @Dreamer_D ! Did you buy the pair or just the one? I am looking forward to seeing this trilogy project and also your OEC ring project! (By the way, if you bought the ruby pair and do not have a use for the other 4mm ruby, well, someone may be interested)

I only bought one! Yvonne kindly split the pair because she thought someone else like me might want a single. So if that someone is you send her an email!

I am also looking forward to both these projects! I am definitely setting the OECs in the new year.

Yes, the stones I have would be graduated - 0.8, 0.62 x 2, 0.35 x 2. I tried Dolly's method, and my results weren't as good as hers but it gives me an idea that it will span my size 8.75 finger well.

20240727_141702-EDIT.jpg

This is going to be AMAZING. The setting will expand the size of the diamonds visually but they are huge looking anyway. Cuts are beautiful. Can’t wait to see what you do.

HI:

I was going to say use a butterfly, but the plastic do dad works perfectly. Those are stunning.

cheers--Sharon

I had not visited my fav Jeweller fpr a few months, and when I did, this was waiting for me, fresh out of the vault. Isn’t it marvellous? 7.5 ct minor oil.
IMG_6946.jpeg
Last week I visited another Jeweller who had some green diamonds.

Which do you prefer?
IMG_6947.jpeg

I had not visited my fav Jeweller fpr a few months, and when I did, this was waiting for me, fresh out of the vault. Isn’t it marvellous? 7.5 ct minor oil.
IMG_6946.jpeg
Last week I visited another Jeweller who had some green diamonds.

Which do you prefer?
IMG_6947.jpeg

Well the emerald made me say “good lord!” So I think that is the winner for me!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results